Morning Tailgate: May 1

Posted by Taylor Price on May 1, 2012 – 9:45 AM

We begin the month of May with a review of yesterday’s start to the San Francisco 49ers’ third week of the offseason program, officially dubbed, “Football School.”

With the majority of the team’s roster in town for the start of fundamental, non-contact work with coaches allowed on the field, much of the attention focused on new wide receiver Randy Moss joining his 49ers teammates on Monday.

Moss spoke positively about his experience and so did his teammates, who raved about the veteran wideout’s speed and route-running following the workout.

More 49ers headlines, including a transcript of general manager Trent Baalke’s appearance on Sirius XM radio, can be found after the jump.

An  offseason working with 49ers coaches should only benefit last year’s batch of rookies. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick spoke to 49ers.com about his eagerness to participate in the team’s offseason program.

Rookie 49ers running back LaMichael James joined KNBR yesterday to discuss his future with the team and a number of other topics, including his passion for Nike uniforms.

Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News shares a transcript from Baalke’s appearance on Sirius XM radio where the 49ers general manager answered questions on a number of 49ers topics ranging from the incoming rookies to the team’s depth at wide receiver.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com answers 40 questions from fans sent to his Twitter account.

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com takes a look at the top 32 players that could be available in the 2013 NFL Draft class.

Lastly, 49ers kicker David Akers participated in the retirement celebration of his former Phildaelphia Eagles teammate Brian Dawkins over the weekend.

The Pro Bowl left tackle sounds excited to be back working with teammates.

Tags: , , ,

50 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: May 1”

1. By niner4life on May 1, 2012 | Reply

DAMN WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR!!!

2. By fred ball on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I know we hear alot of chatter from the media, about which moss will show up, but if only half of him shows up , we got an awsome team , and especially like jenkins attitude, think they both will shine , I can see gold all ready

3. By Ben on May 1, 2012 | Reply

can’t wait to watch some new “joe show”. keep being a beast mr staley

4. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

good morning tailgate to all my fellow morning tailgate followers.it’s been an awesome last few months sharing our opinions and arguments about what our team needs are or who we felt the team should draft,,this is it,,with just a few more free agents maybe to sign,,,WE ARE 60 DAYS AWAY FROM MINI-CAMPS AND 90 DAYS AWAY FROM TRAINING CAMP,,,,the next few months are going to be filled with exciting and I’m sure not so exciting news. football season is already upon us and I am looking forward to seeing what this team will accomplish with another year in harbaugh’s system,,the sky’s the limit with the talent that is now on our team,,,where’s dave g? wanna hear his take on our overall draft,,,where you at DYENNY?,,this is the start of something special,,,if we can get it to all come together we are going to the super bowl,,,we have alot of har work in front of us,,,but..IN HARBAUGH AND BAALKE WE TRUST,,,49ERS FOR LIFE!!!!!

5. By DYENNY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

WHATS UP FASTNER AND FELLOW 49ER FANS CHECK IT OUT THINK ABOUT A WHOLE OFFSEASON TO PUT IN THE ENTIRE PLAYBOOK . WE WERE A FUMBLE AWAY FROM SUPER BOWL . HOW DO YOU PREPARE FOR US THIS YEAR WHEN WE HAVE ALOT OF NEW PLAYS . WE ONLY RAN MAYBE ONE THIRD LAST YEAR . EXCITED JUST CANT EXPLAIN . WE HAVE THE CHANCE AND PEOPLE IN PLACE TO WIN #6

6. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

NFL NETWORK WILL BE GRADING THE NFC WEST DRAFT CHOICE’S TEAM BY TEAM TODAY AT 3PM WEST COAST TIME,,,6PM EAST COAST

7. By DYENNY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

BEEN CHECKING ON OUR DRAFT PICKS // AND AGAIN OUR COACHES AND SCOUTS AND YORK EVERYONE IN OUR PROGRAM DID THEIR HOMEWORK AND DID A GREAT JOB AGAIN . I LOOKED AT EVERYONES STATS AND WE HAVE SOME GOOD PLAYERS /////////// HEY EVRYONE LOOK AT THE TAPE ON A.J. JENKINS AND TELL ME HE DOESNT LOOK JUST LIKE A.J. GREEN NO PUN INTENDED.

8. By DYENNY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

YEP FASTNER ILL BE CHECKING THAT OUT FOR SURE. ALEX LOOKED STRONGER THAN IVE EVER SEEN TODAY ON TAPE SLINGING BALLS TO RANDY MOSS WITH FIRE ON THEM DAM I WISH WE COULD PLAY TODAY

9. By Randy K. on May 1, 2012 | Reply

A year ago the new stadium was dream, at that point we were just all hoping for a somewhat competative team. Now the shovels are in the ground with the new stadium, and our team is now a legitimate Super Bowl contender. My, talk about a reversal of fortune. For me, I would like just one more Super Bowl championship which would make it an unprecedented 6-0. Eat that, Dallas, and Pittsburg fans!

10. By Red n Gold on May 1, 2012 | Reply

OMG, WE GOT MORE WEAPONS THAN CALL OF DUTY MW3!!!!!! NINERS WILL BE UNDEFEATED IN 2012-13. HYFR!!!!!!!!

11. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

sad to tell you the steelers already have a 6th,,

12. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

but,we win the super bowl this year,we will have a 6-0 record in super bowl apperances,,no one can match that!!!

13. By spokane niner fan on May 1, 2012 | Reply

the one thing we lost when Westbrook left was explosion………hello Mr. Moss,Jenkins and my favorite La Mike. If we score more points and have a second year with this defense…..good night! I just want to play the GIANTS! NOW!

14. By Rob G on May 1, 2012 | Reply

hey fanster yes the steelers have 6 but no other team is undefeated in the super like the 49ers are.

15. By Carl Q on May 1, 2012 | Reply

SF all the way to the big dance this year baby! Nobody can stop us!

16. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

hey rob your late to the party on that one I posted that earlier

17. By the fanster on May 1, 2012 | Reply

like 2 posts above you rob g

18. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 1, 2012 | Reply

wow is that alex in that pic ….man he looks old and he hasnt done anything yet …..over the hill allready it seems…..watch out for the young bucks alex they are hungry

19. By 9er fan on May 1, 2012 | Reply

49er you gotta love em baby

20. By okcniner on May 1, 2012 | Reply

just go away idiot

21. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 1, 2012 | Reply

sorry guys but the surper bowl is not won by just saying we are going to win it …..just like saying alex is the best QB ….just because you say dont make it so ……now ….the competition this year for all positions are in full swing ….so may the best start and the backups perform their rolls well as well. The niner are in great position on paper …no matter who is at QB… the offense needs to score TD’s on the defensive turnovers

22. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 1, 2012 | Reply

hey web guy …not sure how much the niners are paying you …. i mean you might want to update the tags …..clements ..mays ..yeah gone as is chilo ……git er done

23. By xtremecyclairbrush on May 1, 2012 | Reply

he needs hairclub for men, wonder if he can afford it?

24. By cniner on May 1, 2012 | Reply

The ONLY reason noone projected AJ Jenkins to go as high as he did was because of his size (6’0″ 190). which did NOT hurt him in college, and i dont think it’ll hurt him in the pros. Every other problem they claim he has is coachable, so whatever, this kid is gonna be a beast, especially with defenses trying to figure out WHO to double cover. VD, Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Gore out of the backfield, or Jenkins… Good luck with that, everyone else, heh. I smell another Lombardi for the ol’ trophy case. GO NINERS

25. By DMT on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Maybe it’s just me being a 9er fan, but doesn’t it seem we have the coolest players in the league on this team?

26. By true faith49 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

eleven why cant u just be happy for the team? u dont always have to put in pot shots every post wait till the season starts, if he is messin up then run your mouth. just fall in line like a real fan aand have faith in the coaching staff that turned losers into winniners last year please is it too much to ask????

27. By Tony on May 1, 2012 | Reply

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

28. By 49fsince67 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

please do not reply to undereleven..you are just asking for more…On the bright side did anybody else take in the fact that Crabtree and Moss were blazing though the Gaunlet…a slower team last year has come alive..If (I don’y want to jinx him) Crabtree gets through training canp with no injury..the player everyone thought we would get will show us what we were supposed to get and more..it looks like he is having fun again

29. By dave g. on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Leading Wide Recievers since 2005:
    2005- Brandon Lloyd (before he was good) & Arnez Battle (3rd or 4th best on most teams)
    2006- Antonio Bryant (head case) & Arnez Battle (see above)
    2007-Darrell Jackson (old & slow) & Arnez Battle (see above)
    2008- Issac Bruce (old) & Bryant Johnson (head case)
    2009-Josh Morgan & Michael Crabtree (O.C.Jimmy Rae????)
    2010-Josh Morgan & Michael Crabtree (O.C. Jimmy Rae & Mike Johnson???)
    2011-Michael Crabtree & 4th best & 5th best & practice squad players (Josh & Braylon, out, out)
    2012-“FINALLY” WEAPONS FOR ALEX TO MATCHUP WITH A OFFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACH and speed, speed, speed everywhere! Crabtree will finally be able to play like we expected!

30. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Web Guy while your deleting mays and clements…Can u do us all a favor and delete 11years while your at it too….PLease this guy has to be the most annoying guy ever!!!! Do us all a favor and become a Raider fan.

31. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

DMT yea i see that too….It seems like our team gels the best together and everyone gets along well…I havent met a lot of the players but when i went to a road game last year i was really close to them and some of them were really cool dudes…i was near the lineman and Davis and Iupati are really cool.

32. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Happy we let Braylon Go he was a real a$$

33. By Niner from the cradle 2 the grave on May 1, 2012 | Reply

The niners are building a REAL DYNASTY!!!!!…. No overpaid free agents…. Depth at every position…. and No Spygate… In Harbaalke we trust!!!!!

34. By Larry Lawson on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Look for Moss to have a 10+ season on TD’s. All he needs a a QB who is as smart as he is, who has an arm strong enough to catch him on his way to the end zone!

35. By Basil on May 2, 2012 | Reply

anybody know did Crabtree enroll in Football school? hope he did because if anybody needs it he does! Like I’ve said before I thought last year was going to be his brake out year, be he just ran hot and cold. I hope he gets it together, I really do
    gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooniners!

36. By Basil on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Dixon or Jabocs?
    Dixon ,, 6-1 233 Jacobs ,, 6-4 264
    Dixon looked like he was going to be our End`zone guy, but?
    Jacobs I think he’s joust to large to let go, plus we just signed him!

37. By Basil on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Moss will more then likely be playing with a chip on his shoulder, he may have lost a step but still he should be a force to reckon with. And if crabtree will just play with some consistency, he’s gonna have some heat behind him!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

38. By dave g. on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Basil: The Dixon vs. Jacobs battle is not a done deal. Dixon is younger and faster…he just needs to grow up. Just because someone is signed does not guarantee them a spot on the roster. Everyone has to compete to prove to us they are the best for the spot & earn it! Who we just signed has nothing to do with it…we are about to sign contracts to whole group of undrafted free agents. Its about who outperforms who in training camp & preseason & remains healthy.

39. By jeromy on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I think that AJ will have the most catches, he is the one thats closest to the ground

40. By DMT on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey NINERSS ALL DAYYY, thanks for the response, can’t wait for the season. GO NINERS!

41. By rjdniner on May 3, 2012 | Reply

hey dave g …. I totaly agree… this is his 3rd yr iam i right .. ………. ok then if C K out performs Alex then C.k gets the job ,, right .. that the problem harbough has .. because Alex supposedly is the starter ……..

42. By dave g. on May 3, 2012 | Reply

RJDNINER…You absolutely right! It don’t matter the position. Harbaugh & Baalke are in it to win it. So regardless of the position, the person who performs best makes the team, plays the most & starts! Thats the way it should be AND thats what I want to see. If you want to see it differently based on who you like or hate than you NOT in it to win it. Its about something else for you & you need to really evaluate yourself & your logic.

43. By rjdniner on May 3, 2012 | Reply

dave g Alex is the starter ………. all the years that we ve seen peaple play that position……. starter has a bad day , back up comes in he wins the game and starts the next game……. hopfuly it won,t happen.. iam pulling for tolzin to be #3

44. By Basil on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Harbaugh & Baakile know what their doing So I really doubt that Jacbos will be the one cut, if its come down to that? They watched Jacobs play twice against us for that matter, so they knew when they signed Jacobs just what they wanted . I’d put money that Jacobs is with us start of the season, these guys don’t screw around, they don’t sign somebody to just cut`em. That being said, Myself I hope they keep Dixon I like the kid, I don’t think he’s had enough playing time IMHO!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

45. By Basil on May 3, 2012 | Reply

ps: I think that Ex 20 pounds count for a lot, eh!
    I’m just saying ……………

46. By rjdniner on May 3, 2012 | Reply

and having that ring dos,nt hurt either….. am not really sure what went on in NY… am glade we got him ….. we all know he,s not goin to be a . every down. back ……

47. By dave g. on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I am not saying I am not glad we got him. I really don’t have a preference. I just want the more productive back regardless. I appreciate all the intangibles that Jacobs brings and I was dissapointed in Dixon last year. With that being said, all I am saying on your arguments as to why Jacobs will beat Dixon like its a no brainer is weak. Its not an open and shut case. Jacobs has his flaws too. To say we don’t sign people to cut them is rediculous. Obviously that is never the plan. But plans don’t always work out like you would like them to, do they? You think they planned on cutting Braylon Edwards before the playoffs last year. Common man. Jacobs may the man. I am just saying its not a done deal. Everyone must compete. Its a what have you done for me lately league.

48. By dave g. on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Sometime you guys go too much on what you want more than reality. Life is not always on what you want, its about what reality is. When Patriots had Drew Bledsoe they all wanted him to take them to the promise land BUT you know what they could not deny a 6th round pick in 2001 from conituing to start when Beldsoe came back from an injury. They could not deny the reality that a 6th round pick was clearly out performing “THE MAN”. Lets live in reality people and stop with the day dreaming. You go to much on guys having a ring, or weight or the excitement of signing a new guy. Curb the Enthusiasm, it just another player competing. Its not Jerome Bettis in him prime for Gods Sake!

49. By Basil on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Dave I doubt you know what I want, and as far as I’m concern
    its not an argument just my thoughts. I know what I’d like to see happen, and what I don’t want to see happen, bottom line its doesn’t matter much. As far as the ring goes experience does matter, matters a lot really IMHO! That all there is to it!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

50. By Basil on May 3, 2012 | Reply

” all I am saying on your arguments as to why Jacobs will beat Dixon like its a no brainer is weak” thanks but I didn’t have any argument about Jacobs VS Dixon, reread my posts.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!