Morning Tailgate: April 25

Posted by Taylor Price on April 25, 2012 – 10:41 AM

The closer we get to the 2012 NFL Draft, now two days away, just about every football analyst under the sun has an opinion on how the first 32 picks will turn out.

In the meantime, 49ers players continue to prepare for the upcoming season through their participation in the team’s offseason strength program. Photos from the first two weeks of the nine-week program show the 49ers strength staff putting the players through a variety of challenging drills.

Soon, a number of rookies will assert themselves into the strength program when they’re officially a part of the organization. But before that happens, let’s take a look at some of the latest draft headlines concerning the 49ers.

Tony Pauline of SI.com discusses some of the last-minute NFL Draft risers, which includes Midwestern State guard Amini Silatolu.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee profiles Silatolu, a Tracey native, who could be a target of the 49ers when they make the 30th pick.

Eric Branch of The San Francisco Chronicle shares positive comments on Silatolu from former 49ers defensive lineman Pierce Holt, who coached against the intriguing Division II prospect.

Don Banks of SI.com looks at some of the lesser-known prospects that could become big-time pro players in his annual “Wes Welker Watch List.”

The NFL Network’s on-air talent recently filmed a first-round group mock draft where former 49ers coach Steve Mariucci predicted his old team would take Stanford tight end Coby Fleener in the first round.

Charley Casserly of the NFL Network pegs Boise State running back Doug Martin as San Francisco’s first-round pick in his fifth and final mock draft of the 2012 offseason. NFL.com’s full list of mock drafts can be found here.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com makes a case for North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins being available at pick No. 30.

Maiocco also examines the 49ers roster addition possibilities with team’s now allowed to invite 90 players into training camp.

Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News shares comments made this time last year when the 49ers surprised many by taking Aldon Smith in the first round.

Wes Bunting of NationalFootballPost.com continues his week-long mock draft, selecting USC tight end Rhett Ellison in the sixth round (No. 199 overall) and Toledo CB Desmond Morrow in the seventh round (No. 237 overall).

Lastly, we continued our “Rookie Reflections” series by looking at the impressive rookie season of cornerback Chris Culliver.

Patrick Willis shares information on his upcoming football camp.

Tags: ,

46 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: April 25”

1. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

only hours to wait and see if we get some more players like willis and aldon and bowman …..lupati….guys that bring it all game and if you want more they will give it to ya……..come on staff make it a good draft and lets be respectful to those who will have to be cut later in the year because there just isnt room for everyone at every position ………..

2. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Harbaugh & Baalke are ALL about competing for spots to bring out the best. Just cuz we signed someone does not mean they are going to be on the opening day roster or be a starter BUT they will help bring the “cream to the top” whoever that may be. I am not stuck on any one guy BUT I want the best of the best and I am sure whoever starts at all the positions will be the best we have for that respective position & will be subject to change if they falter in any way. We are in good hands with our coach & GM and I trust they will make the best decisions for the team. You have to give them props on the man (ALDON) highlighted above. Who on this blog or expert would have predicted selecting him at their spot. They obviously knew & saw much more than we did!

3. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Although, I have been rooting for WR Stephen Hill…I also know that they know & have seen much more than me SO if they go with someone else, I will trust their judgement & hope they become a huge part of us winning a SB. I am excited for my NINERS to select/trade/move/position/etc as well as they possibly can and at the end of the day reload on some future stars regardless of the position! PLEASE NO Kentwan Balmers, Rashaun Woods, Kwame Harris, Mike Rumphs, Reggie McGrew’s or Jim Drunkenmillers. Man those hurt bad…I am still hurting on “THE DRUNK”!

4. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

wow so your all good with the last 7 years …good to know…..now @ 3 is lol …live chat with alex …who thought this up …i wish i did …first question …..Alex hey dude ….so why did you average 30 checkdowns a game and only 1 td per game ..last season …hello alex did you hear my question …………uhhh dude …..OH NO HE JUST CHECKED DOWN TO THE NEXT CALLER……figures

5. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

lol tools alex just said he was privey to the wholoe play book by end of season ……..uhh oh guess he allready knows everything …no more excuses

6. By Hmrhead on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Cracks me up how a guy listening to a radio interview suddenly becomes mini Mel Kiper. Sorry oh great fanster. Your blog banter is so informative that I didnt realize the magnitude of your wisdom. Please forgive my ignorance. I should have known that anyone named fanster clearly couldnt be overmatched in their wisdom of trent baalke’s brain.

Anyway, if you are correct about the possible opportunity to move to 15, it would have to be DeCastro. It’s the greatest weakness on the roster…even when Snyder was there. You’re not going to pay that price for a defensive backup. I guess you could argue that Floyd is a possibility, but I’m not sure he’s there. Regardless, I think we all would agree that IF they move to the teens, Stephen Hill would not be the right selection. Although I’m not a fan of his game, I can see how his measurables would intrigue teams. And to even compare him to TO is dumb. For every TO, there a tons of those that fail to produce. TO is a rarity.

And 11 years, although I think you do a crappy job of promoting your point, I do agree with you that our offense will always be below average until we make a move at QB. I love Alex and think he’s shown a lot of heart to deal with the obstacles he has faced in his career. However, I think he is who he is. Our downfield game will always be an issue with him at the position. Seeing that we are the NFC version of the Ravens, I think they are a prime example that a mediocre QB can win a Superbowl with a dominant D. But the odds are certainly not high to consistently provide that opportunity. I miss the days where we just knew we were in the playoffs before the season started.

7. By the fanster on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

HEY HMRHEAD I WASNT SINGLING YOU OUT DUDE,,

8. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Eleven…all you ever bring to the table is your hatred for Alex. We get it man…that song is tired.

9. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Hmrhead T.O. is NOT a rarity. Do you have any idea what you talking about? Brandon Marshall 4th round, Charles Haley Round 4, Frank Gore Round 3, Brian Westbrook Round 3, WR Steve Smith Round 3, Marquis Colsten Round 3, Donald Driver Round 7, WR John Taylor Round 3, etc, etc, etc! You ARE DUMB.

10. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Hmrheah, NINERS are drafting at #30. Hill is a great pick if he is there! What the hell don’t you get about that?

11. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Hmrheah, Don’t stretch sh1t to appear right. At pick number 30 or anywhere in the 20’s, we need to get HILL. In the TOP 5, we need to get RB Richardson, TOP 10 S Barron, TOP 15 DT Brockers BUT past that HILL. Quit twisting sh1t to try to appear right. You an amateur..accept it cuz you don’t know your history.

12. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

People like Hmrhead annoy the sh!t out of me cuz they are clueless BUT think they know what they talking about. Do you have a clue how many gems where found in later rounds? Are you that ignorant? How is T.O. not a good comparion when you basing no-Hill on his college stats. T.O.’s college stats sucks BUT his 40 time and height /weight measurables were insane. How is that NOT a good comparison dumb@ss? Keyshawn had great college stats but Wayne Chrebet was better than him on the Jets. He was the #1 player drafted overall!!!! You an idiot.

13. By dave g. on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Now if WR Stephen Hill is gone which may very well be the case, then I would not be surprised if we select RB Doug Martin at #30 or move up a few spots for him if he is still there!

14. By the fanster on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

our pick at 30,,,hill,,or maybe we move up to get him but as you dave I agree,,moving up to 20 would be worth the risk vs reward factor with hill,,,I love doug martin but there is no way he gets past the broncos,does he? knowshon is fragile and he would fit that offense perfectly,,now if both hill and martin are gone,,what about kendall wright from baylor? another speed guy,,but at 5’10 there is an issue maybe,,but welker has excelled in the slot and thats where wright would be deadly,,,moss on the z,,mannigham on the flanker,,and wright in the slot,,with davis running a 9 route,,,looks like 7 points from my seat,,

15. By the fanster on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

and yes dave,people like hmrhead a.k.a. clue-less,,annoy the sh&t out of me as well

16. By the fanster on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

we have been blogging on these morning tailgates mon-friday for 6 weeks now,,to step in here 24 hours before the draft and bring crap like that is just annoying hmrhead,

17. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

FANSTER …… Iv said this before nobody controls this site If you dont like what peaple say . concerning the niners… so what . thats there RIGHT TO SAY THAT …..

18. By dave g. on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

RJDNINER…and it’s Fansters right to disagree with them just the same as they disagree with him. Whats your point?! Its a blog, people are not always going to agree.

19. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

piont already made

20. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I just dont know about kendall wright…Not a fan of those big 12 receivers anymore…i also dont like that hes under 6’3 we need a big guy we struggle in the red zone…id rather grab a big guy (Hill, Jeffrey) and have manningham in the slot…remember smith loves those quick slants which would mean a lot of grabs for manningham

21. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

HEY RJD,,I DONT REALLY CARE WHAT HIS OPINION IS,,HE IS ENTITLED TO IT,,,BUT INSULTING ME IS NOT OK AND THEREFORE I WILL ALWAYS RETALIATE AGAINST SOMEONE WHO DOES,,,,JUST LIKE MOST OF YOUR OPINIONS ARE RIDICULOUS,,,BUT YOUR ENTITLED TO IT,,

22. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

7 hours away from the start of the 2012 nfl draft,,best DL coming out,,mericlles from illinois,,poe from memphis,,coples from north carolina,,of all these guys poe is the best fit for a 3-4 base defense nose tackle,,,not concerned with his lack of glory stats or motivation,,when your on a preverbial losing team,,motivation goes out the window,,put him on our roster and watch him become like casey hampton on the steelers,,,he will eat up the guard and center and free up our outstanding LB’S to free roam

23. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

most so-called draft experts have the top 3 WR’S as blackmon,,flloyd,,and kendall wright,,,but who is the 4th best?,,, alshon jeffry has red flags for his off field issues,,and most see him dropping to the 3rd round as he is projected to go in the mid to late 2nd round,,,sanu from rutgers seems to be the real deal,,catches everything near him,,and can run block like a beast,,he seems like the best fit in greg romans system,,,but hey what do I know,,I do know this,,,I will be at the draft party tonight,,and if your fortunate enough to live here in the great san francisco 49ers bay area,,,look for me at the draft party,,,im the guy with big white fake plastic leg and huge 4 pronged metal cane,,,GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!

24. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

same old stuff over and over and continus

25. By MIkey on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Lets go BOYS!

26. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

you know rjd,I have been tolerating your tired,pointless,grammar-less,point of view for some time now,,but no more,,you maybe watch 2-3 49er games a season where you live,,you have no way of keeping up with team movements and dealings without going to wikipedia for stats,,or counting on information from your east coast biased sports programs,,,dude,dont come to the dance without a date or even worse,dont come to the dance without knowing a step,,,my advice to you is start being a fan of the jaguars or the bus so you can have 1st hand information concerning your teams movements and player dealings,,you have been blooging on these morning tailgate blogs and havent once come to the table with anything close to being realistic,,give it a rest,,

27. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

thats not working… try agine

28. By jeromy on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith :) :) :) just makes me laugh

29. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

whats not working rjd? your brain?,,

30. By kram on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

don’t see them moving up to get hill…forget jeffery..they will pick fleener and at 30th he will be better than any wr at that pick..after blackmon and floyd wr’s drop off go get one in third rd. quick or cunningham..can’t see moving and wasting future picks for hill with all the recievers picked up in off season just can’t see it happening..moss,manningham,ginn,crabtree and williams…i see fleener at 30th

31. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

fleener is a reach in the 1st round,,with greg romans run 1st scheme and his double TE sets,,fleener’s lack of blocking abilities will keep him on the sidelines too much to warrant a 1st round pick on him,,if hill is still there at 20,they move up to get him,,but as I have said so very often,,I cant see them moving up to get anyone,,the two most logical choices if hill is gone at 30 is either doug martin,rb,boise state,,martin, the tackle from stanford,or one of the DT available at 30,,this opinion is based on only what I have heard on 95.7 the game fm during baalke’s weekly radio spot or on knbr680 am during the coaches show,,harbaugh,of course,,was alot more candid on what the 49ers will do on draft day than baakle was,,,lokking forward to FINALLY KNOWING WHO IT WILL BE

32. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Theres a lot of hype on Fleener I see him going earlier if not i agree he will prob be the best player available….and we should take him…walker has one year left and then fleener can play the 2 te system with Davis…with those two TEs taking up all the attention we might just might get by with the receiving core we have although i still would like to see us take a receiver later on…..And can u guys stop fighting we are all here rooting for the same team hoping our team only gets better

33. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

hey fanster 261 players from the SEC currently on nfl teams ……. and there going to be more after this draft …….

34. By dave g. on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I really hate to be a spelling guy but I don’t think this is just a typo cuz I have been seeing it over and over and over again. The fact that this guy (RJDNINER) tries to come off smart & insulting people….causes me to not be able to help myself to bust him out on it becuase he kinda has it coming & thats the kind of guy I am : ) Hey RJDNINER…do you have any idea on the difference between their, there, they’re and when to use? Do you know how to spell “again” or “continuous”? Its always funny that someone who acts like he knows everything can’t even get the basics down.

35. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

because iam laughing to much to care……..

36. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

yup thats right rjd,and most of them are back-ups or special teams players,,give wikipedia a rest dude,,the sec is not the only conference in college football,,,and if you would have taken a closer look at your wikipedia stats you would have seen it says 261 players HAVE BEEN DRAFTED INTO THE NFL,,,NOT 261 PLAYERS CURRENTLY ON NFL TEAMS ROSTERS,,,you see thats what I mean,,you bring nothing to the table aside from your obvious lack of knowledge regarding collegiate players other than the players from south carolina,,,

37. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

yes dave,rjd’s knowledge of football players,rankings,and draft-able qualities are as limited as his ability to type more than 5-6 words in a complete sentence without mis-spelling half of them,,

38. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I love brockers,but will he get past the cowboys? they seem to be in love with him,,rob ryan just spent the last 10 mins. in an interview on nfl network just about declaring his love for the guy,,oh yeah,,and for those of you who dont know who rob ryan is,,(RJDNINER),he is the coyboys defensive co-ordinator,,I hope one of 3-4 people end up at 30 for us to pick,,hill,WR,,GT,,martin,,RB BOISE ST.,,jonathon martin OT STANFORD,,or the best DT on the board at 30,,I know that safety is a huge need but I cant seem them going that route at 30 unless barron is still there,,which is as likely as rjdniner winning a spelling contest,,,whats your spin on this subject, dave?,would be interested in hearing from you on this

39. By rjdniner on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Rob Ryan …. use small case on my name… OK …

40. By dave g. on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

My feeling is if we move up & draft Top 5-Richardson is the man for us, Top 10-Barron, Top 15-Brockers, Top 20-DeCastro, Top 25-Martin then 25-30 WR Hill. If Hill is gone then pick S Harrison Smith (reminds me of John Lynch) or G Zeitler. Obviously if any one of these guys are available in a lower spot, then grab the highest available. 2nd & 3rd round, we get whatever we did not fill in the 1st: That would be S, WR or G. I mentioned Brockers because he is a beast & Justin Smith cant play forever. Our D would get even more insane!!! GOOD LUCK TO MY NINERS!

41. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

no RJDNINER I will do,say,and post whatever I want. this is a public blog,as you so stated earlier up on this msg. board,,,if you dont like what people say or post on her dont log on to it,,or ignore it. ITS A PUBLIC OPINION BLOG,AND YOUR UPSET BECAUSE YOU GOT CALLED OUT ON YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING CREDIBLE AND NOW YOUR MAD ABOUT IT.WHAT ARE YOU? SOME KIND OF LITTLE GIRL?

42. By dave g. on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I am not sold on OT Jonathan Martin. I know he played for Harbaugh but he does not have enough nastiness as far as I am concerned.

43. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

the REAL world where I live in,if you continue to say stupid things,stupid things are going to be said about you

44. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

yeah I know its bit of a reach but if he lined up at right tackle he may pan out,,just a thought,,I cant wait,,im off the the draft party,,it will be streamed live on 49ers.com,,this is the start of football season for me,,49ERS FOR LIFE!!!!!

45. By the fanster on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

WOW,BIG SURPRISE,WELCOME TO THE 49ER FAMILY A.J. JENKINS

46. By Hmrhead on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

It cracks me up how two idiots spend 24/7 on a blog insulting people and that somehow makes them more knowledgeable than everyone else. Freakin idiot calls people out on spelling and grammar and then spells ‘because’ incorrectly in the very same post. It’s a blog! Who spell checks a blog???

I’ll admit that I have no idea if Jenkins is worth the pick. I’ve never watched him play so I’ll accept your opinions there. His stats look good. I just hope he’s not the next Rashaun Woods. I’m just bitter because I wanted DeCastro. And I do know that Hill was an absolute reach at that spot and I breathed a sigh of relief. It’s good to see I was right about that as he didnt even get picked.

Welcome the family AJ. And even though some of these guys are morons, come Sundays we’ll be one big family cheering every time you touch the ball!