• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Behind the Scenes of Groundbreaking

Posted by Alex Espinoza on April 13, 2012 – 2:08 PM

In less than a week, gold shovels will dig into precious California soil to signify a new beginning. A small plot of land adjacent to California’s Great America Park will give rise to one of the world’s premier entertainment venues.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the New Santa Clara Stadium is a major milestone for the franchise of the San Francisco 49ers. The event will held April 19 at 5 p.m. in a special ceremony that will include the York Family, Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews, the Santa Clara City Council members, community leaders and stadium supporters.

Due to make-ready construction work already underway at the site, plus limited accessibility and parking, the event will be limited to invited guests only.

While generally considered symbolic, this groundbreaking ceremony is significant. It’s an opportunity to celebrate nearly two decades of hard work to get the stadium project to this point and a green light for construction to officially begin.

The 49ers staff has prepared an entertaining program that will feature local talent, speakers and a festive atmosphere befitting this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Director of Marketing Ali Towle has coordinated everything from invitations to parking, and maneuvered around the on-going prep work and large construction machinery already working on site.

“It’s not every day one gets to be a part of a new stadium groundbreaking,” said Towle. “We are doing everything we can to make the celebration as special and as memorable as this monumental event merits. The planning and execution of a day like this truly ‘takes a village.’  Our partners Turner-Devcon, Centerplate, Promedia and California’s Great America have really helped us realize our vision. And, although the event is private, we do plan to share the festivities with our all of our fans via a live web stream on 49ers.com.”

The new stadium in Santa Clara is estimated to cost approximately $1. 2 billion. Officials expect it to be a landmark for Silicon Valley in addition to its role as the new home to the San Francisco 49ers.  The 1.85 million square foot facility will seat approximately 68,500 and feature an expected 165 luxury suites and 9,000 club seats.  It will be designed with multi-purpose flexibility to host a wide range of events including, domestic and international soccer, college football, motocross, concerts and various civic events, and is expandable for major events such as the Super Bowl.  For more information, go to www.newsantaclarastadium.com.

Tags:

21 Responses to “Behind the Scenes of Groundbreaking”

1. By monkeewrangler on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

you describe it as a once in a lifetime event but it is invite only. so I am going to go out on a limb here and say I bet if I would have ponied up thousands of dollars for a luxury suite or season tickets I would be invited. Thank you 49ers for marginalizing my 30 years of support for your franchise

2. By tara on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow I can’t believe this I voted for this wanted the niners to come to sc so bad and I can’t go that’s a joke. I’ve had loyalty to my niners where’s mine

3. By the fanster on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I CANNOT WAIT,MY BUDDIES AND I ARE ALREADY ON THE LIST FOR RESERVING OUR SEASON TICKETS THERE ITS GUNNA BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!

4. By Micah on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Actually I live in Wisconsin right now but if my plans work the way I want them too I graduate college in a year and Im moving to Denver Colorado for 2 years and then Im coming to San Fran so I should be there opening day!! Hopefully I’ll be cooking at the new stadium.

5. By Edward Strine on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I can not wait for the ground breaking. I have been waiting a long time for a new stadium for our well deserved Niner players and fans.

6. By Buddy Israel on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Micah, my best wishes to you! As far as the new stadium… I’m excited! Of course I am going to miss Candlestick Park. All the great memories.

7. By NHA on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Hope the 49ers will provide a “stadium cam” so we can watch the progress as the stadium is being constructed. The Giants did that during the construction of PacBell and I remember finding it interesting to check in on occasion.

8. By Bobby Gee on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Should have stayed in San Francisco

9. By Len on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

This is great news,I can’t wait for the first home game! I hope that we will never let the Raiders use our beautiful Stadium,You know that there fans will do there best to mess the place up.Please Mr York,No Raiders,Never!!

10. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Trying to get out to cali for the giant game

11. By odfritz69 on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

a friend of mine owns 50 yard line seats at candlestick for 15 years. The are pricing him out of his seats at new stadium. They want 80,000 dollars licensing fee per ticket, as well as $1,000 per game for each ticket. At Candlestick his seats cost $169.

12. By Amrik on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s the beginning of new era and great moment in the history of football. . It’s Monent of pride for the 49ers fans, players, owners, and Bay area whole community . Bravo!!!!!!!

13. By Mike on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

BOOOO!!! A stadium is all about location and the fact that theyre moving the SF NINERS 45 miles away to the South Bay is a tragedy. Theyre the SF 49ers, so why in the hell are they building a stadium in Silicon Valley which has no real identification with San Francisco! Jed York is destroying almost 70 years of tradition, culture and legacy of REAL San Francisco football…

14. By stereo on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

i thank i would take the stick over a bunch of trendys looking down on us real 9ers fans. Hop it works out for the best GO Niners ! it would be nice to be able to ride bart or mmuine right to the game and i don’t thank its were the game is played its about the teem and good leaders hope we have them for years to come Jed doing a good job with the 49ers and i thank you for that

15. By Draph3000 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

San Francisco is not just a city….its a bay also a bay, and by those standards the 49ers are still in the “Bay” area. I am a San Francisco native and i feel you can’t blame the franchise for not getting a stadium deal done….it was the politicians and the voters as usual! I am thankful for what Jed is trying to accomplish….he seems to be following in the foot steps of his uncle….E.D….Great job Jed!!!!

16. By Gioia Italian on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Developers, Investors, Owners, Whomever this may Concern,
    take note from San Francisco and create an outside the stadium viewing area for all fans to be able to share the excitement of a live game. Santa Clara County let’s be conscientious of providing for those that can’t afford the tickets and love the game because that will be way too many of the 49er Faithful! It’s a darn shame that traditions will not be able to continue for many with the skyrocketed ticket pricing.

17. By Margaret Brusatto on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Wow, couldn’t believe it when the Giants left, so sad! Now with over 40 yrs.of watching my 49ers at Candlestick and even seeing the Pope there. It is heart-breaking. I am from Utah, so didn’t get to go very often, It was so special. Even to watch on TV. Barely remember when they moved to Candlestick, wished they could have found a place closer to San Francisco. Nothing wrong with Santa Clara, it just doesn’t have that “game town” sound. Good Luck to our Niners!

18. By Kev on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Blame it on SF for not closing the deal earlier when Eddie D. was still the owner. Now, the 49ers are moving down to the South Bay and getting a better stadium. It’s actually pretty easy to travel from SF to Santa Clara, it’s only a 30 min drive and like a 1 hour train ride.

19. By Complete Failure in SF City Hall on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Mayor Ed Lee in SF will forever be remembered as the mayor who LOST the SF 49ers. What a colossal FAILURE for the City of SF.

At least he needs to pick himself up off the floor and get a new stadium built for a future team. Candlestick Park is slated for demolition in Lennar’s plans and to be replaced with housing. At least secure a site in SF for a future stadium!!!
    Pick up the pieces and move on. Failure is not fun. That is all I see here!

20. By anne beck on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I’VE BEEN A SEASON TICKET HOLDER SINCE 1985 AND HAVE LOVED MY 49ERS. THAT BEING SAID THIS WILL ALL END IN 2014 BECAUSE THEY WANT ME TO PAY $16,000 DOLLARS FOR THE RIGHT TO HAVE THE SEATS I ALREADY HAVE OWNED FOR THAT PERIOD OF TIME. EVERYTHING YOU SEE ABOUT THE 49ERS NOW HAS A PRICE TAG. DRAFT TICKETS FOR SALE, CHEERLEADING TICKETS FOR SALE!!!WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DAYS WHEN RIKI ELLISON, MIKE WALTERS, ERIC WRIGHT, D.C. WOULD STOP AND TALK WITH YOU JUST FOR BEING A FAN. I STILL LOVE MY 49ERS, THEIR JUST TO HIGH PRICED FOR US FANS. LETS SEE WHEN THINGS ARE NOT SO GOOD WHERE THESE FANS ARE. GOOD LUCK

21. By f rodriguez on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

i am so sad…i have been a fanatic since early 1980’s when i immigrated to U.S. before they even won the Super Bowl. I have been coming to the games ever since, and been a faithful season ticket holder, win or lose. And now I cannot afford to be a season ticket holder anymore in the new stadium, noooo way I will be able to pay or qualify for a loan to pay the SBL alone, and every season to pay triple of what i am paying now for comparable seats. so sad, the ‘poor’ faithful fans are no longer welcome to the new stadium. first i bet it will cost us double to go to santa clara just to watch the game, then the food and beverages i bet will be a lot more expensive, season tickets will be more than doubled, and on, and on and on…i will just have to watch the niners on tv :-(