Stadium Groundbreaking Slated for April 19

Posted by Taylor Price on April 2, 2012 – 11:41 AM

The San Francisco 49ers, Santa Clara elected officials and representatives and special guests will participate in an official groundbreaking ceremony at the new stadium site adjacent to Great America Park on Thursday, April 19, 2012 from 5-6:30 p.m. PT.

Due to make-ready construction work underway at the site and limited accessibility, the event will be limited to invited guests only.

The new stadium in Santa Clara is estimated to cost approximately $1.2 billion. Officials expect it to be a landmark for Silicon Valley in addition to its role as the new home to the San Francisco 49ers.  The 1.85 million square foot facility will seat approximately 68,500 and feature an expected 165 luxury suites and 9,000 club seats.  It will be designed with multi-purpose flexibility to host a wide range of events including, domestic and international soccer, college football, motocross, concerts and various civic events, and is expandable for major events such as the Super Bowl.

For more information, go to www.newsantaclarastadium.com.

13 Responses to “Stadium Groundbreaking Slated for April 19”

1. By John B on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

With the advent of the new stadium approaching, will these be the time that the Santa Clara Broncos revive their football team and opt to use the Niner stadium as their home field?

2. By peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Great new for the 49ers and their Faithful Fans!

3. By steve on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

As long as the Raiders don’t also move in, this will be a great stadium.

4. By Jerry Jones on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

The Dallas Cowboys are happy for you!

5. By Hmmmm on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

GroundbreakIng ceremony that will be half empty since regular folks won’t be able to afford them…:(

6. By missouri 9er on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Stadium plans look awesome but will take a while to get use to not playing at the Stick. Would be awesome if Niners could win the SB in inaugural year!!!!!!GO NINERS!!!

7. By 9er9er on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m kinda happy the niners will finally get a new stadium they deserves but on the other hand I will miss candle stick park mainly because I believe once the move happen this new stadium probably won’t have the same magic.

8. By mike on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

One interesting note: teams are better off mining QB value among UFAs than picks in rounds 4, 5 or 7

9. By gabriel49 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

its going 2 be a bitter sweet day when the Stick hosts its final 49er game considering all the great moments & memories it holds. On the other hand this new stadium will be up to date & Im sure will create its own great moments for our current & future players for years to come. LETS GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By pelon on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

i wish i could make it to a 49ers game this year but i cant i hope are new home is better then the cowgirl …..

11. By Mike A. on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Been a fan most of my life, dating back to Kezar Stadium….. The stick has been a wonderful place for alot of niner memories as well as Kezar growing up. This new stadium is needed for our niners, My only problem is that I wish SF would have come forward with some land so we could still keep them in SF. I live in San Jose and it is a great place, I guess as long as they remain the SF niners location is not important… The Bay area ROCKS. I miss living there…. Go niners with new staduim and new memories

12. By Kerry on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Built by billionaires for Millionaires to play.

13. By Laurenio Braga on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I am 55 years old and have been a 49ers fan since I was 8 ! If I live in that area I would of voted for the new stadium! I think this will be good for all party! Go NINERS In the 2012 and many more years to come!