Morning Tailgate: April 2

Posted by Taylor Price on April 2, 2012 – 9:16 AM

The first morning roundup of 49ers news for the month of April features the standup community service performed over the weekend by 49ers quarterback Alex Smith.

With search efforts for missing Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar continuing over the weekend, Smith volunteered his services to help in the search party.

A volunteer organizer confirmed Smith’s presence among a group of 700 volunteers to The Contra Costa Times.  According to the report, Smith also dropped off food and water to volunteers before assisting in the search.

Smith did not comment on his participation, but it’s worth noting that the quarterback’s foundation focuses its work on working with foster teens. The ongoing situation in nearby Morgan Hill most certainly struck a chord with Smith.

Anyone with information on Miller’s disappearance is encouraged to call (408) 808-4500 or call the anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431. Additionally, tips can be emailed to tips@sheriff.sccgov.org.

More 49ers headlines from the weekend can be found after the jump.

With the 2012 NFL Draft now 24 days away, ESPN.com’s NFL bloggers put together a mock draft that has the 49ers drafting Baylor wide receiver Kendall Wright with the No. 30 overall selection.

Frank Cooney of CBSSports.com analyzes the top offensive linemen available in the draft and sorts the players by ranking the top tackles, guards and centers in this year’s crop.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, Utah State running back Robert Turbin will join the 49ers for a pre-draft visit on April 12. The team is allowed to bring in 30 players prior to the draft

Lastly, if you missed the conclusion to our ACC Week coverage, we profiled Wake Forest wide receiver Chris Givens and Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen.

With Nike taking over as the league’s uniform and sideline gear provider, the company promises to unveil even more merchandise on Tuesday. Take a look at what’s been released already on shop49ers.com.

24 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: April 2”

1. By Micah on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

I wonder what the Alex hatters Jeremy and eleven years have negatiely to say about Alex doing his deed as a great citizen and person. HOORAAA Alex you have skills on and off the field sorry some idiots can’t see either (Hint, Hint, Jeremy and Eleven Years). I’m sure they’ll copy and paste some critics downplay on the situation and try swinging it against Alex but we true Niners know better, thats the type of guy Alex is and I’m proud to have him as our quarterback. Go NINERS!!!!!!!!!

2. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

yeah exactly my point you tools are so much into yourselves that you miss the big picture of some little girl is missing and prob the outcome will not be good and you use it as a punch line ….take your poor me childhood problems and think about others for achange instead of yoursleves and maybe you can become respectable enough to be a niner fan …..and have some respect for others and their tragedy

3. By candlestick faithful on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

lets change the subject,,,,RYAN LEAF,,,THE BIGGEST BUST IN MODERN DRAFT DAY HISTORY,,,like millions of dollars werent enough for the kid,,,such a sad individual to waste all his money in the way he has,,and now he is a criminal for pain pills,,,,what a joke,,,dude needs help,,

4. By gary potter on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

11: you are the one missing the picture. he was trying to show AS as a good citizen. you try to turn it around and critisize him for it. that is BS on your part. Every one on this blog feels for the family of the little girl. get a life. if you wan’t to debate me bring it on.

5. By gary potter on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

probably be hell lot better to just keep it to football

6. By dave g. on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Out of respect for Sierra LaMar & her family, I ask everyone to please refrain from verbal jabs on todays goal post blog. Her whereabouts are much more important than footbal opinions.

7. By gary potter on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

dave g. AMEN

8. By tyc033 on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

I love the efforts for the NINERS Community Outreach. Follow suite fans. There are a lot of follow humans that can use a little pick-me-up. I’ll be joining the folks of Rebuilding Together to contribute to their efforts In Oak Park (Sacramento) on the 28th. A worthwhile reason to give my couch a break.

GO NINERS!!!

9. By Micah on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think anyone is taking jabs at the unfortunate situation, I myself wish nothing but the best outcome possible and obviously so did Alex. If I didn’t live in Wisconsin and lived in Cali I would have been right beside our QB searching. I hope to God the outcome is good for her family and especially her. Good luck everyone involved.

10. By rjdniner on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Whats the lastest on Sierra anything i pray she ok .

11. By missouri 9er on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

We all can sometimes forget that we as human beings should feel a sense of responsibility toward helping those in need around us reguardless of who we are, hope the best for the LeMar family.

12. By robbylikesit on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Overall, I have always thought that Alex is not only a good QB but a really stand-up guy, someone you can really count on to do the right thing both on and of the field. Some of the faithful needs to concentrate on the great future rather than making comparisons to past QB’s long gone, or feel we missed out on Manning. Keep in mind Steve Young had his issues also, so come on guys give Alex our support.

13. By Ladybug on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner: From what I have heard, the law enforcement people…and Feds have very little hope they will find her alive. They said as much on the news, by saying “after all this time, it is unlikely she has survived…..unless….she was kidnapped and taken miles away. ” That about sums it up. I send my love and blessings to the family ….and to Sierra, if she is out there someplace.

No parent should go through what her parents are going through right now.

We can help…if we can’t join in the physical search…google her and get her picture.
    Keep your eyes open…you never know…you might spot her in a fast food place, or in a car going by, or at the gas station.

Candlestick: I agree with you about Ryan Leaf. Being arrested twice for the SAME thing….he is crying out for help. The drugs have a hold on him that is hard to break. He’s not thinking right and is desperate. I know about this problem because I have a relative who is now going through a rehab program . He will be there for another 6 months, court ordered. Then to a halfway house. He tells me every day is challenge.

Does anyone know when the 49ers will start workouts….or is this an ongoing thing? I know the guys are coming in to the exercise room and working, but I was wondering if they are on the practice field doing anything…does anyone know?

14. By Ladybug on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey again 49er fans. I just checked out the 49er Shop and they are getting in some nifty new stuff….and probably will get more in as the season goes on.
    Right now the new stuff looks really good…I might buy a T-shirt or something.
    Last season I bought 49er earrings…..ok , ok….I know…but I’m female, what can i say LOL….but I feel so 49er when I wear them on game day !

15. By true faith49 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

may jesus’s hand save that poor girls soul whereever she is

16. By true faith49 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

amen

17. By 9er9er on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith deserve all the phrase in the world. Hope they find that little girl.

18. By kram on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

it’s time to talk niner football…draft day is coming and i think it’s time to talk draft picks for the niners..i read the blog every day and alot of times i don’t respond because it’s the same stuff i get it some people just flat hate alex smith” I GET IT” 7,8 or whatever years and jeromey i am not a big fan of alex but because we are writing into a blog and don’t run the team we can’t cut, start or sit players with that said we have to have faith in front office which finally after some bad years i think we can and the head coach who i think is a perfect fit for this team..they are a hungry and young team just like harbaugh.. u see it in them..i just hope we can keep core of players together and sign harbaugh long term because niners will be a winning team for years to come..so lets talk football and the good of the niners!

19. By rjdniner on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug i tired to find some news about it yesterday, thank you , kram i belive the coach has a 5 year deal , my concern is if all his current staff is going to be there for the long haul , Ive already mention my wish list that person may not be there because AZ may pick him thier ahead of use thats what happens when we had a winning year , We win the SB alot of money is going to be thrown at our coaching staff that going to be hard to turn down. niners

20. By rjdniner on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug it Falcons or bulldog so it kinda hard for me to get niner gear in this area southeast ga .

21. By EG49er4Life on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

First I just want to send out my prayers to the family of sierra and to sierra herself., this is a tradgic situation and I could not imagine if my daughter was the person that was missing. Great job to all that are helping in the struggle of finding this little girl.

As for the drafty, I can not wait.. the suspence is getting to me.. I know we have the 30th pick, I think with all the free agency signing, I think we should still take the WR at 30 or even the tight end from Standford. The TE would give us a great depth at TE to help with delanie and vernon. I think stephan hilll will be the only top reciever availbale at 30 for us to pick

22. By candlestick faithful on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I live in the san francisco bay area and we have to watch everyday the news updates about little sierra,,,the only hope now is for justice

23. By candlestick faithful on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

our most GLARING need right now is on the O-line,,,and I dont think anyone would disagree with that,,,,that being said,,,,,1st rnd,,,OT/G,,,2nd rnd,,DB/S,,3rd rnd WR,,,4th rnd,,,LB,,,5th rnd DL/DT,,,,6th rnd OT/G,,,,7th rnd,,,best on the board,,dashon is a free agent next year cant count on being able to re-sign him,,,reggie smith has been a back-up his whole career,,we released shawntae spencer,,,and tremain brock has not shown that he can start other than special teams,,,,this draft is stocked at the safety posistion,,we would be dumb not to take one at #2,,,,there is BIG value at WR in the later rounds,,,and the 4th-6th rounds are where the diamonds in the rough are found according to former 49ers great coach BILL WALSH,,,R.I.P.,,,,

24. By rjdniner on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

candlestick , i agree with you… i hop that we get one of the top 5 in ot /g postion i like the kide from uga because he played in the SEC the harder the conferance the better the player .name is glenn. We rnt they working on a contract for Goldson what the up date anybody… Ya you never know at those smaller collage, ya we ended with some guy what was his name Rice ya we got lucky on that one .