Morning Tailgate: March 30

Posted by Taylor Price on March 30, 2012 – 11:15 AM

The biggest takeaway from Carlos Rogers’ conversation with the Bay Area media on Thursday was the Pro Bowl cornerback’s astonishment over all 11 defensive starters returning to the 49ers in 2012.

“This is a first for me and I’m pretty sure it’s rare for a lot of guys,” Rogers said.

In fact, several media outlets analyzed the 49ers offseason efforts to retain its starting defense. More on San Francisco’s free agency scorecard and additional headlines can be found after the jump.

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando breaks down the free agency moves of all teams in the division, grading the 49ers moves to date with a B+. Sando believes the 49ers needed to keep their core players together and accomplished that with their recent signings.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com outlines the 49ers entire offseason scorecard, complete with signings, visits and players who’ve moved on to other teams. Maiocco also believes the 49ers still have the ability to add a veteran player or two.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee takes roster evaluation a step further by pointing out how hard it’s going to be for incoming rookies to make the final roster. According to Barrows, five of the team’s 77 draft picks since 2003 have failed to make the roster in some way, shape or form the season they were drafted.

For coverage on potential 49ers, CBS Sports’ Rob Rang updates his 2012 NFL Draft big board following pro day performances.

Lastly, make sure to check out our latest Coach ‘Em Up profile on assistant secondary coach Greg Jackson, who won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants and was a teammate of head coach Jim Harbaugh with the San Diego Chargers.

According to Sandy Sandoval, EA Sports’ Senior Director of Athlete Relations, Patrick Willis will take part in a live chat with ESPN’s SportsNation site beginning at 12 p.m. PT.

Tags: ,

56 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 30”

1. By petaluma on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

FRANK GORE IS NOT A GAME CHANGER…GREAT DOWNHILL RUNNNER BUT I THINK IF KENDALL HUNTER GETS MORE CARRIES THIS YEAR THAN LAST YEAR HE CAN BE MORE OF A GAME CHANGER KIND OF LIKE SPROLES…GIVE KENDALL HUNTER A CHANCE!!! 49ERS DEFENSE IS GREATNESS NO NEED TO SAY ANYMORE ABOUT THE D

2. By natedawg on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

All 11 starters back! No one could run on us last year, we had what, 2 rushing tds scored on us last year? Lets make it none this year boys, there scared of us!

Not to mention all of the offensive weapons that we added this year! Moss, Manningham, Jacobs (If he could learn how to hit the hole without dancing :) were going to be stacked!

I live in Connecticut, I can’t wait for the 9ers to come to Foxboro, you’ve had my support since the days of Montana and Rominowski (Who went to my HS Rockville Baby!)

3. By Jeremiah on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

3 rushing TDs last year. Rams scored twice and Lynch. We will be better offensively but still need to add a WR and RB. I love Gore, but he’s old and fragile and Jacobs isn’t exactly a spring chicken. We need a every down back. Sadly I see the defense taking a step back. its just so hard to repeat or do better than last year, even with everyone back. They’ll still be the best in football, but with the schedule they’ll get hurt a couple times this year. 12-4 would be an AMAZING year next year!

4. By 80bale80 on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

the niners are going to win it all with all the defensive starters back and all the offensive weapons we added and can still add its amazing teams should be scared to face us

5. By Mutney on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

12-4 is a good pick for 2012 I think. Actually would probably represent better football given the strength of the 2012 schedule. D will continue to grind and will be able to do so if the new and improved O stays on the field longer than in 2011.

6. By Temper on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

What is this? Niners talk on a Niners blog? Guys, I’m sorry but this board is reserved for petty insults and the trotting out of inflated egos. :)

7. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

give it time :)

8. By DYENNY on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

YEAH ITS GREAT TO BE A 49ER , YOUR RIGHT THE PETTY INSULTS AND THE FRANK GORE `S NOT A GAME CHANGER . THAT ADDS THE COMEDY. EVERYONE CALM DOWN ABOUT 28 DAYS TO DRAFT THEN WE CAN ARGUE ABOUT DRAFT PICKS LMAO. THIS IS THE BEST SEASON AND OFF SEASON IN 10 YEARS WHO DO YALL THINK WE NEED TO TAKE IN THE DRAFT??????????

9. By DYENNY on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

AND BYE THE WAY WHATS WITH THE SMILEY FACES AND CRAP WE ARE TALKING FOOTBALL

10. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

sometime i wonder , with all the insults back and forth. Lets see , harbough knows the ones coming out of standford he would like to get one of the two linemen Dcastro or Martin as for WR ,I dont think hill will be there for use at #30 maybe Jeffery .he big enough to cross the middlle of the field , so there you have my wish list for the 1st rnd .

11. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Come on guys….lets not dip down to the level of 11 years and Jeromy. (SHUDDER). I enjoy the talking about what happening, and various theories, and who can do what on the team….let’s keep it that way

Thank you to those on yesterday’s tailgate who had kind words for me. !!! :)
    (don’t have smileyface icon…but heck…I think they’re cute…but then, I’m a female!)

I’m getting excited about the draft….and can hardly wait for the new season to start Goooooooooo Niners ! ! ! ! !

12. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

What do you know?????? I put a semi-colin and a bracket on my comment, and it turned into a smiley face? Damn I’m good ! ! ! LOL

13. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Another thought…..in the articles above the comments…they always say something about…more information AFTER THE JUMP. what the heck is that?
    Anyone know???? thanks

14. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Oh Temper, get over the b1tch slapping you took yesterday & move on. Its all good homie. Now, I like the fact that the discussion is now focused more on where it belongs at this time, “THE DRAFT”. My vote goes for WR Stephen Hill considering what spot we are at. Not sure he will be there but hoping. I am sure Baalke & Harbaugh will make smart moves regardless. I am looking forward to the chess match & it does feel great to be a SF49ER FAN. We have a GREAT shot this year! Seriously, we are really strongly put together. Gotta give Baalke props..seriously. That and Harbaughs coaching is making us deadly.

15. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug. Its great to know someone like you appreciates the team and all involved in building a great team minus all the negative drama. BTW: Nice work on the smiley face accomplishment.

16. By Pingogrande on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Gore, Hunter, and Jacobs. I am at a loss as to why the 9ers continue to disrespedt the abilities of Dixon. Why don’t they use him more? Why is he in the dog house? Can anyone shed some light on what the coaches are thinking! In his rookie year he was a sensation. Then they stopped using him and he just sat. Why? Why? Why?

17. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

I think by the time we draft at 30 a top flight WR might not be there,,,we either move up,,,or stay where we are and go OT 1st round,,,,DB/S 2nd round,,,WR 3rd round,,,DL 4th round,,,LB 5th round,,,OG/T 6th round,,,and best on the board in the 7th,,,,or we try to move up and draft twice in the 2nd or twice in the 3rd,,,getting guys who can help this year,,,thats what I would like to see

18. By true faith49 on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

where do you get the idea that we need to waste picks on dbs???? terrel brown is gonnna start and cullliver is still in the slot and brock has a big upside to him great in man to man and do i really need to mention rodgers? brown had 4 ints in two games at the end of the season he was just comin in to his own till he collided wit gholdston. they can get guys for back ups in the 3rd or 4th round. they need more depth at o line more than anything right now. wr is not an issue got moss, manningham is a #1 wr on lots of teams ginn is back and even tho i can never forgive him williams will get the job done he is still young and can burn

19. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Simmer down Pingogrande. Don’t get your hairbun in a tizzie. You have to have competition in training camp. Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see Dixon do well. I grant you Dixon looked good his rookie year in “preseason” BUT were you really that impressed with his performance last year? Really? I saw a lot of dancing at the line instead of just hitting the hole & being decisive. Stop panickin, Just like Randy Moss, Jacobs has to make the team on opening day to get paid. Its low risk, either Dixon feels the competion and steps up his game or he does not and Jacobs beats him. Don’t you want whoever performs best? Thats the point. Keep in mind too that Dixons impressive performance his rookie year was against 3rd & 4th stringers which is typical in preseason. If he does not outperform Jacobs do you really want to hold on to that OR a guy who has had 16 rushing TD’s the last 2 years when we need to upgrade our redzone offense possibilities?

20. By Dbl-O on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Rueben Randall WR from LSU would be sick on the niners..

21. By ninersrock on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

I still remember in the NFC Championship, 49ers were about on the Giant’s 47 in a 3rd and 1 in the 4th Quarter. Dixon comes in, Smith hands-off to him – he dances, hole closes, he tries to bounce out-side – and trips on his own lineman’s leg and doesn’t convert. Could have been a game-clinching drive if not for that. I see that being worse than Williams’ fumble in OT because perhaps there wouldn’t have been OT. Rathman has worked hard with Dixon to stop the “dancing” but he is just not an instinctual running back that can ad-lib when the hole isn’t there.

22. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

LADYBUG, NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN I told my wife about you , she said that was outstanding :)

23. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@ truefaith,,,,what,you didnt see I posted DB/S?,,,,dashon is the man,,reggie smith is a back-up,,,with the talent at safety coming out this year we need to draft one of them,,,cant count on being able to sign dashon next year,,,brock has not been able to advance from special teams in two years,,,I and others would agree that safety is a need,,shawntae spencer was released,,,so yeah,,,DB/S is a definite need,,dont you agree?

24. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

crabtree,,moss,,,manningham,,,ginn,,,williams,,moss plays 2 more years tops,,,manningham is really only a 1 year deal with the 2nd year an option,,,crabtree is nearing the end of his rookie deal,,,you think he stays?,,, ginn has not been able to crack the starting line-up,but his spot is returning kicks,,,and kyle williams is a work in progress,,,so while I would agree we seem set at WR for this season,,,It wouldnt hurt to get some WR talent in the 3rd or 4th round

25. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

the word on dixon is that he doesnt quite get the chalkboard for the starting offense,,,that might explain why the kid excells on speical teams and is quite happy with his spot on the roster,,,harbaugh has also been quoted as saying he needs to keep his emotions in check when he is on the field for offensive snaps,if he keeps his head in the game his body will follow,,,thats our coach,,the way he says things gets the best out of his guys

26. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Dave g. and rdjniner….kind words….and I appreciate them….still wondering what ‘AFTER THE JUM;=P” means….I’m totally clueless LOL

27. By jeromy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

ladybug, it means when the team jumps to epic status, basically as soon as we get a good QB

28. By Micah on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hands down we Niners have the best front office in football. Jim and Trent were born to work together. The ability to keep all 11 starters on D, bring back Alex, sign Moss and Manningham, bring in Jacobs at the end and I’m sure still gonna sign an OL, wow these guys are good. I can’t wait to see who we pick in the draft I am hoping we go WR 1st round and get someone like Hill, we need our young recievers to be able to learn from Moss and if Manningham, Crabtree, and if we get Hill that would be a beast squad for years too come. Oh ya forgot to mention the best TE in the league Vernon undisputed best TE. I’m a happy niner fan!

29. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Jeez Jeromy…you couldn’t give a little old lady a straight answer?
    You just HAD to find SOME WAY to pull a cheap shot at Alex, and still not answer my question?

You are a very disrespectful person. I bet your Mama is proud of you…..NOT

Thank you to whoever gave him a thumbs down.

30. By Ladybug on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

OK found out what “after the jump” means. It means that in the story you are reading are links to learn more on referenced people / places / things talked about in the story….they are usually in bold type. Or there may be a link at the bottom of the story telling you to “Click here” for more…or for additional info.

‘Fess up now…..how many knew that?????

31. By Nv 49er fan on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

The 49ers are going to be a force to be reckoned with again this year!! We, the faithful, need to stay positive, support EVERY MEMBER of the organization and be AS LOUD as possible at ALL VENUES where 49er fans are watching our team do the best job they can!! We know the players and staff are going to bring us a great product and it’s up to us to support them.

P.S.: see you at Candlestick, GET LOUD!!!

32. By rjdniner on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

LADYBUG , Iv really never worried about it much , my hats off to you( nice work ) well looks lik i wont be having that big draft party after all . hes gonna get more thumps down . be good :)

33. By jeromy on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

AP: breaking news: Alex Smith checks into pysch ward. According to sources “Alex has been dealing with overwhelming guilt about scamming the 49ers organization out of many millions, and he finally just broke” Alex apologizes to the players, fans, and coaches, & vows to spend the $ he has left on whatever help the coaches think they need(WR, OL,…..) Alex’s family respectfully asks for privacy during these trying times, and wishes the best for the team

34. By candlestick faithful on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nv 49er fan,,you wouldnt be the same guys from nevada who come to every 49er game in a white pick-up or suv would ya?? I got a feeling my buddies and me have tailgated with you

35. By candlestick faithful on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

here is a draft day thought,,get what you can for crabtree,,,try and move up in the 1st round with cleveland and draft justin blackmon………dude is a beast

36. By gary potter on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

back to draft. how about this 1-4 for wallace?? draft guard on 2nd round. jeromy wrong again. AS take us to SB. if trying to trade for wallace screws up cap, move up try get ND wide receiver.

37. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug…nice work, I did not know that. Listen Lady, nevermind that lil boy who calls himself Jeromy, he has no idea what being a real man is. You know like all those immature losers you rejected in your lifetime for obvious reasons. He has been rejected so much in life that he wants to find someone to blame for his short comings.

38. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Gary Potter, not sure I see the Wallace move playing out. I mean I get the value of a low 1st round pick for him. But its not as simple as that. You will have a lot of egos who feel they should start getting playing time (Crabtree, Manningham, Moss). The excess egos could backfire with too many riches. Think about it & he will come for a lot more $$$’s than a rookie. If we grab a rookie at a cheaper price, he will understand limited playing time while fine tuning his raw skills behind Moss & then next year he will be ready to bust out while Moss retires with a Championship to cap his career. Wallace will throw off the salary cap as well becuase he will want a multi-year contract. Wallace is very good, no doubt but considering above and that we have Ginns speed too, it just seems like the smart, logical thing to do at this time.

39. By gary potter on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

dave g: i am ok with most of what you say. however unless crabtree has a turn around he is expendable in my mind, also ginn is a return man only he has bad hands and that why miami gave up on him. as for moss we shall see, comes to play not take plays off we got a steal, if not our bad.

40. By marcos g on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

JEROMY IS A BALL BAG!!!!! ENOUGH SAID!! HA HA HA … BTW I DONT THINK HES A NINER FAN, MIGHT BE A DALLAS COWGIRLS FAN IN DISGUISE! LOL

41. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Can’t disagree with all you said Potter. With Crabtree having other WR’s the db’s can respect will really tell us more about Crabs. He really does need to step up considering where he was drafted. Ginn’s a great return man & his speed does force a defense to respect the deep ball but not an all around WR. Moss is a one year deal, not much different than what we tried with Edwards last year, hope for a different outcome. Either eway it feels like a 1 year deal which adds to my theory we need to draft a WR. I am in no way a qualified draft expert and have not put my time on the road scouting BUT I saw WR Stephen Hill on NFL Network during the combine & he was a beast! The “experts” have him ranked as the 4th best reciever BUT I believe if he is there at our pick, we need to snatch him up.

42. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Stephen Hill is not polished which is why he will not be the top WR pick this year. He does have some things to work on & he is very raw. The body control, speed & size this guy possesses makes me feel with one good year working with the right coaches & system he could potentially be better than all the WR’s in this draft when its all said and done. YES..I said it. I don’t care what the “experts” say BUT that is my opinion so at #30 pick that would be ideally a steal for us and our WR situation is perfect for that at this time to groom him for one solid year in limited action to pay big in the future.

43. By rjdniner on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

dave g i just read that WALLACE wanted fitzgerald money take that typ of money and put it towards the line history has proven that a GOOD OFF LINE Iis critical what is the history on Kilgore and iam still going with JEFFERY I would love to be in that room on draft day ..

44. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

RJDNINER, Anyone who really knows me knows I am one who really values a solid OL. They are the unsung heroes or goats and you only as strong as the weakest member. Guard Snyders loss reminds me of last years loss of David Baas to the Giants & I was not crazy about that at ALL. I made that known loudly then. BUT the difference this year is Harbaugh has young Guards Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person competing. We really had to scramble last year to get a Center to fill in with the loss of Baas & release of Eric Heitmann.

45. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Harbaugh must feel good about Kilgore & Person or he would not have let Staley go. They both around the same size, 2nd year guys, are much cheaper & were developing last year because they were drafted as tackles. Either way, I think we need to draft an interior guy high because C Goodwin is no spring chicken & we need to always be ready to reload.

46. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

I meant he would not have let Snyder go (NOT STALEY).

47. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

funny how some are blasting some players for their lack of performance as of when they were picked and yet still blast em after 3 years and want to trade em all ready and yet …yeah you know ….you praise the 8 year kid and blast every other niner for the QB’s problems how easy it is to throw the receivers under the bus now hmmmm …last i checked the receivers didnt throw the ball to themselves and yet still we need better ones …hey wait 8 years dude they will try adn get better …why not the same concideration for the other team mates that had to endure all these years ….exactly ….hipocrits as usual

48. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Some? Some players? Is it just me or does Eleven Years either: A) sound half drunk all the time? OR B) is incredibly inarticulate? I am not saying everyone on here has to be an English major, but for Gods sake, if you are an American be clear Eleven Years. I would even rather read ebonics than whatever that is you trying to say or dish out! And be a MAN in the progress and address whoever you addressing instead of pulling a Jim Schwartz move and not addressing someone directly. I am your Harbaugh & will b!tch slap you every single time directly, like a man you lil Schwartzie puss. Slapped again! Why do you even try, seriously?

49. By Ladybug on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

RdjNiner and Dave g.. thanks for the kind comments to me earlier.

Comment to 11 years. Has it every occurred to you that Alex, in his really first year under a coach who mentors him, and coaches him closely, did exactly what Harbaugh wanted him to last year? He is bringing him along in the Harbaugh style, which is game managing and ball managing….not flashy, but you just watch Alex open up this next season.

Remember…it was NOT Alex that lost the games….it was downfield errors….His QB rating was pretty good…only about 3 points different than Manning, if I remember correctly.

Alex never has had the luxury of being mentored and coached like this. Always had to learn a new way, a new method, then he had injuries…and then yet another new way, new method. It’s a wonder he has stuck it out. I have every expectation that he will shine this coming season.

50. By dave g. on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Well said Ladybug, And Smith put together his finest year as a pro, finishing the season with a 90.7 QB rating, a 61.4 completion percentage and the NFL’s lowest interception percentage (1.1). Smith also tied the franchise record with four, 4th quarter come-from-behind wins on the road. Yeah…he tied some guy named Joe Montana with 4 in 1989. He did that with a shortened offseason to learn yet another new offense and only had one starting WR for most of the season and when it really counted. He played in the confines of what Harbaugh wanted considering that we had the following WR’s out: Morgan, Edwards, Ginn and TE Delanie Walker. Crabtree had no help opposite which is why he had to go Vernon as much. Its not logical how any reasonably intelligent person cannot see why he should not get a second year under Harbaugh considering all the challenges & limitations available to him last year. If you don’t see that you are either not bright and perceptive OR you are emotionally bias & voided of logical reasoning.

51. By rjdniner on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

dave g NICELY SAID . 11 YRS you ever coach football at any level or you just stay behind your PC think you know football if you did you wont be saying all that garpage about that person .

52. By rjdniner on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

HEY LADYBUG YOUR WELCOME :)

53. By gary potter on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

dave g. don’t pick on 11yrs he is “a author” he said so himself LOL. should have great knowledge of english. besides that he is privy to film that no one else can see. his knowledge of the quarterback is mind blowing. don’t you agree??LOL.
    go niners

54. By Ladybug on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

Well…thank you guys….Dave G….you said everything I wanted to say and more !

I am so glad I am here, learning more about the mechanics of football, and being able to chat with such great Niner Fans…….makes my 76 year old heart swell with lpride…..GO Gettum Niners ! ! !

55. By Basil on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

“when the team jumps to epic status” 13 & 3 and still not there, eh?
    well then how about 14 & 4? some people ya just can’t please`em?

56. By Basil on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Hey seven, you’re invited to the 9ers draft party, you gonna go?