Morning Tailgate: March 29

Posted by Taylor Price on March 29, 2012 – 9:35 AM

The 1984 49ers were edged ever so slightly in the semifinal round of the NFL’s Greatest Team of All-Time Tournament on Wednesday, but there’s still another way to support your favorite team through the power of voting.

Patrick Willis has advanced in the 2013 EA Madden video game cover tournament.

Willis defeated Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte (62-percent to 38-percent) in the opening round and once again faces a Pro Bowl running back.

This time around, Willis meets Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew in round two.

Voting information and more 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

In order to vote for Willis, visit ESPN.com’s SportsNation page from now until April 4.

Willis’ quest to make the cover, however, wasn’t quite the biggest news 49ers fans should know about. Several rule changes have been put in place for the 2012 regular season as a result of the recent league owner meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. ProFootballTalk.com outlines the rule proposals that passed (booth review for all turnovers, postseason overtime rules adopted in the regular season to name a few) and the ones that failed (review official in the booth instead of on the field and modifying the horse-collar tackle rule against quarterbacks in the pocket).

Other important news emerged on Wednesday when ESPN insider Adam Schefter reported via Twitter that the 49ers agreed to terms with New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.

With the NFL Draft slowing approaching Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee reached out to Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly for his thoughts on potential 49ers draft targets.

Past 49ers draft targets are the subject of this NFL Films video which highlights the stellar 2011 play from recent San Francisco selections.

In case you missed it yesterday, check out video of Coach Harbaugh provided by CSNBayArea.com where he describes his recent workout with new 49ers wide receiver Randy Moss.

Lastly, 49ers.com’s “49 in 49” series continued with a profile on the diverse talents of Virginia Tech running back David Wilson.

All-Pro 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman shared wisdom with young students in Maryland.

Tags:

61 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 29”

1. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

no please not willis in the cover ….the madden curse is real for what ever reason the last thing we need right now is the madden curse rearing its head this season

2. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like the signing of Edwards if it means we loose Dixon. I’d rather we keep Dixon and coach him up to be the eventual successor to Gore when Gore decides to hang em’ up. I for one am not a fan of free agency from a fans perspective. I’m sure it’s better for the players – and I can’t fault them for that, but from a fans perspective it sucks. How many more Giants can we sign before we (49er faithfuls) are really Giants fans?

3. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

And, I agree with McQueen… curse is just a silly superstition. I’d like to see Willis get the recognition – for whatever it’s worth – he deserves it.

4. By Joe W on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Come on 49ers.com, you should be showing people how to NOT vote for Willis? Do you want our best player to be cursed?

5. By JR BACA, NEW MEXICO SAN FRANCISCO 49ER on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

The Madden Curse, give me a break 11 years, your an Alex Smith hater, Willis is covered by the BLOOD of CHRIST JESUS, Brother Willis is a Christian and does not believe in garbage like that. You may bring the curse upon yourself if your not careful.

6. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

If Eleven Years gets on the cover of Madden (which I believe is the sole requirement for the “Madden Curse” then I’m done buying that game for my kid!

7. By Micah on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

hey Temper do watch or know anything about this team? First of all the signing of “Edwards” who are you talking about I don’t know of any Edwards we signed that will be competing for Dixon to backup Gore. And really you think Dixon is our number 2 come on did you see Kendall Hunter at all last season he has way more upside than Dixon and is our number 2 forsure. Brandon Jacobs is a great signing he gives us a backup to Gore in goalline and shortyardage. Anthony Dixon I do like and see potential in him but would not be surprised if he is released. Rocky Cartwright is gonna be another one of our huge special teams roleplayers like Tavaris Gooden, he will make the team thru special teams and carry some balls on offense but not much. I love my niners!!!!!!!!!

8. By COACHEMUP on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Really i dont like to comment on these much but can some people really dont know a darn thing about they are commenting about.

9. By DYENNY on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

HEY EVERYONE . I,LL SAY THIS JACOBS IS A GREAT PICK UP . NOW IF WE DRAFT A COUPLE LINEMAN 1 OFF AND 1 DEF WE ARE GONNA DO GREAT. I,M NOT SUPERSTICIOUS BUT IT IS SOMETHING ABOUT THAT DAM MADDEN COVER LOL.

10. By DYENNY on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

OH BY THE WAY YOU KNOW WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO TALK ABOUT WHEN WE ARE ARGUING ABOUT A MADDEN COVER LMAO . HURRY UP DRAFT

11. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I think Temper is confused. Are you talking about Braylon Edwards from last year? Duh…of course we didnt like the signing. Him and Josh Morgan being out last year cost us advancing to the SB. If you talking about Brandon Jacobs, then I feel it was a good signing (not saying great). Jim Harbaugh knows what he is doing. You have to look at it this way. You don’t want to be one dimensional. We were last year, we now have a 6’4″ target in Moss to outleap db’s in the back of the endzone & we have a 270lb back who we can use and abuse for short yardage & keep Gore fresh for playoff run. We also have a scat back in Hunter who can give us another dimension. Different kind of backs and different kinds of WR’s gives a defense more to think about and defend.

12. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

yea if i said the world was round you all would say its flat …blah blah same old cant stand anything but what preach ….i state the obvious and throw in some facts from games and or experts that do and sometimes dont tell the truth about a team and or player ….but all have said the same thing about alex he can not start anywhere else as a matter of fact if not for the niners he would be sitting next to favre watching the big screen

13. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

BTW: Moss is not a replacement for Josh Morgan. Manningham is a replacement for Morgan. The most notable part of the contract is the fact that it is over $4M less than the deal Joshua Morgan signed with the Washington Redskins. They are both around the same age, same size, speed & potential. And Jacobs was a beast with goal line TD’s. Not only is that a need but it give the D more to think about with Moss in the back of the endzone too. And as far as us signing Giants players this year, did you forget that the Giants signed 2 of our players last year-David Baas & David Carr? Baas was very instrumental in their win and losing him did hurt some.

14. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Jeromy…you may need to school your boy Eleven on spelling since I know you very concerned with that. Eleven, were you drunk when you typed that? What the hell are you babbling about? Its like in pig latin or some sh1t. I am not saying you all gotta be F. Scott Fitzgerald and never mispell in blogs BUT for Gods sake speak/type English legibly if you trying to make a point!

15. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Temper, we are making smart moves in Free Agency if you really take in all the facts, looking at opening up our offensive dynamics & possiblities while controlling our salary cap thats allowing us to make these moves to give us great depth. Its a long season and there are many different types of defenses we will face so by being more mulit-dimensional we are going to be more dangerous offensively than last year. We did not (No Josh, No Edwards, No Ginn, No Delanie Walker) have that last year (especially in playoffs) and were limited & Jacobs will keep Gore fresher when playoffs come around. I love Gore but he is getting older and I love Hunter but he is not built to take a pounding. He is all about speed and shiftiness. Different weapons for different types of fights!

16. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

And you fools with your voodoo Madden Curse nonsense. Oh brother, be a man and quit sleeping with the lights on with garlic around your neck. Are you insecure fools serious? Hug your teddy bear tight and hope the boogyman does not get you. And don’t waste your time copying and pasting me a historical record of that nonsense. Its all coincidences.

17. By robert on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

What a bunch of B.S……….there isn’t a curse and the man is thhhhheeeee best linebacker in football……..

18. By amamora on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

People on here say that the Madden curse is in the head or just a superstition. Look back at each player that was on the cover in previous year. And you’ll see that each player went through an injury, off year, or some other type of craziness (Peyton Hillis last year). DO NOT VOTE FOR WILLIS. He gets enough recognition as the best MLB in the NFL!

19. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Guys… sorry about that. typed Edwards and meant Jacobs. He may be a tremendous player for us next year, I hope he is, but to me – he’s a Giant and Dixon is a Niner. I have a tendancy to be loyal to a fault maybe, but that’s what I like to root for. Some of you may consider this blasphemous, but it’s not only about winning for me. Which again, makes free agency a really horrible thing in my opinion. You invest so much time and energy into your team only to watch them leave in the offseason and a whole new group of guys come in. If a player has the right work ethic and attitude, and is doing a decent job… I’m gonna pull for that guy and want him to remain on our team, even if we can replace him in the free agency with someone marginally better. (here’s where Jeromy and 11-years start saying I’m not a “true” fan – whatever that means). I like to root for the players just as much as the jersey they are wearing.

20. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave G, no I didn’t forget that the Giant’s signed two of our players last year. Just as the Seahawks did, and other teams. That’s my point. How many years have I been pulling for Spikes… now he’s wearing another jersey and I’m just supposed to not root for him anymore? I’ll get over it with Jacobs, but it always hurts a little bit when we supplant our players with “outsiders”.

21. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Micah, I know plenty about this team. To suggest I don’t because I inadvertantly wrote “Edwards” for “Jacobs”, is juvenile. I hope it made you feel better about yourself for a short time. Yes, Kendall Hunter is great, and compliments Gore really well, but – becuase he is so small, I don’t think he can be an everydown back in the same sense that Gore is an everydown back. I do think that Dixon has the skill and the body-type to mature into that type of a player.

22. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Eleven-years, no one even brought up Smith’s name in this thread until you did… what are you talking about?

23. By Apocalypto on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I’m still scratch’g my head on the Jacobs deal..? I always thought Dixon was a cut back type of RB not a betwn the tackles guy like Gore…What do i know? Nobdy’s mention’g the practice squad for possible OL replacemt’s? or the possiblity the 9er’s will trade up to get someone. My crystal ball says 9er’s will draft an all purpose DL the CB from south Carolina and a WR…not neccessarily in that order.

24. By Apocalypto on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to coach Jackson on a job well done.I knew there was a good reason 9er’s secondary was that much better!

25. By Ladybug on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Hmmm. @temper…and the rest….yes 11 years HAD to bring up Alex because he nothing else to rant about. We are all chatting about the new hires and signers, and he goes and starts whining…….Let it go 11….let’s talk about how this team is coming together….Alex is on board…quit living in the past.

26. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

lol i totally forgot why that was up there my bad …carry on…sally forth …and pip pip and all that

27. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

oh i did mention earlier this is the age of freeagency and that is how teams live get a couple of guys that are above and beyond and surround them with pieces to help the team and follow what ever game plan the coach is running …freeagency is here to stay and yeah guys will come and they will go …but we will always have a few guys that are ….the guys…like willis , staley, gore …lol now smith that just remain here at least for the better part of their carreeer and depending on what the team does every year …decides who goes and who stays……for the most part

28. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

and yes i expect us to try and move up …would be real nice to have a monster at tackle to compliment staley and the the running game would be going nuts …..for the most part that is

29. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Temper…No apparently you did forget that the Giants signed two of our players last year. So now you gonna back track…oh no we know you forgot that based on what you said. You know just like you forgot we signed Jacobs instead of Edwards. And, why are you acting like Free Agency is a new thing? It has been part of the NFL a long time now. And incase you forgot this tidbit as well, Spikes did not start out a Niner. People crack me up how they try to act like they are a better fans. Oh, you a true fan and we don’t care about winning as much as you. Really, you are a more superior fan than us? Quite the fan snob you are, huh? Give me a break with all your energy you spent like we all just casual fans with no loyalty (yours is to a fault). Seriously dude?

30. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug. I like your style ; )

31. By jeromy on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Alex Sucks

32. By jeromy on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

ladybug it doesnt matter how good the rest of the team is, if we dont change QBs it is all for naught

33. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave g? WTF? Why are you trying so hard to start a blog war with me? Some of you people act like we are running for some kind of freakin’ title here – the “head prick of the blogs” or something. The point I was making was about my personal distaste for free agency. Carr wasn’t here long enough or do much for the niners to really establish himself as a niner. Dixon, at least in my mind, did. He started his career here and looked as if he were being groomed to be here for a long while. And that is why, I for one, will be sad to see him go.

34. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug..Jeromy just hates himself & his life and takes it out on Alex. He can’t seem to talk about anything else which means he really hates himself ALOT but the good news is Eleven Years loves him unconditionally. Its is kinda like one of those tangled web type chick flicks. Its complicated.

35. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Temper, have some dignity for Gods sakes & quit cryin, now what this “trying so hard”? Son, there would be no need to try hard with you. Seriously, I barley lifted my pinky on that one. You did most of the work yourself…kinda of a blog voluntary euthanasia (if you will).

36. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I also know that Spikes did not start with the niners. But in my mind he established himself, eventually, as a niner. Jacobs may establish himself as a niner – in time, but right now, today, I’d rather have Dixon. You can puff yourself up all you want and tell yourself that you know more about the niners than Temper of the blogs – whatever. If that makes you feel good about yourself, I say do it. My point is not scientific… it is not about number of days, or stats, it is simply my opinion as this is a freakin’ OPINION BLOG!

37. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

What?

38. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dude… do you want to go right now (me standing up and puffing out my chest). My eyes are severely mean looking. I will totally kick your butt (said with a snarl and quite of bit of spittle).

39. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Gotta go to my kids open house now, but don’t think I don’t know where you live (I actually don’t know where you live)… can’t wait to see how much more mad at me that you are going to get all becuase I wrote Edwards instead of Jacobs… Hilarious.

40. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Son…I always feel good about myself for so many reasons my fingers would bleed from all the typing. Don’t need blogs for that, think you off topic. “Only the weak and unimaginative resort to violent comments and acts. They are not strong enough to stand tall and speak from their own mind confidently”. ~ Dave G. Man, I love being me & I love my Niners! Temper, say your prayers, drink your milk & cookies and go to sleep. I think its past your bedtime.

41. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

you keep saaying you dont need blogs to self gratify… and then your next words are all self gratifying. hilarious. try to read the irony in my posts… they might make more sense to you.

42. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Temper…you starting to bore me. You really forcing a square peg in a round hole. The only thing you have been correct about is “I LOVE MYSELF”. And with many good reasons.

43. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave G “head prick of the blogs” congratulations! Go admire yourself in the mirror now. I will not address you further.

44. By okcniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

My vote goes to Eleven Years to take the cover of Madden….then I’ll sit back and hope for a broken pelvis so we wont have to listen to his complaining for the rest of the year.

45. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Amen OKCNINER.

You still addressing me Temper? I must be more important than your kids open house. Wow…blew that off dad of the year. BTW: I make no excuses about liking myself. I am Herculean in built, brains & heart. Chicks love me no matter how honest I am too them & I don’t fear losing them by saying everything they want to hear. Life is grand on this end son. It is what it is…I am not going to deny it to make the weak feel better about themselves.

46. By jeromy on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

oooooh Alpha male is on a rampage

47. By jeromy on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

And the Kook of the year award is a tie between Alex S. & Dave G., both splitting the votes equally

48. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

HEY I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF SOME OF YOU WERE TO MEET FACE TO FACE ????????????????????????

49. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Oh, I see the lil ankle biter Jeromy wants to try to make his mark. Those lil barks crack me up. Don’t be mad cuz you got neutured…I am sure Eleven Years will be happy to pop your anal glands especially considering he knows exactly where they are.

50. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

And Jeromy aka Omega Male, you can address me as Mr. Alpha Male! Sayonara you lil b!tch or should I say Eleven Years lil b!tch :)

51. By gary potter on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

daveg:well said. he and 11 make hell of a combo. both are no nothings., although if you listen to 11 yrs he has friends in high places LOL, arn’t you scared??

52. By Temper on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner…. I would hope nothing would happen if any of us were to meet face to face. this is an opinion blog on the niners. The “get out your aggression blog” is over on the Dr. Phil website.

53. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Every time someone has one of those SO CALLED OPININ ABOUT EACH OTHER , IAM LAUGHING MY A– OFF GOOD ENTERTAINMEMT :)

54. By jeromy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

its not easy always being right, it is always resented
    GO NINERS
    GO AWAY ALEX
    GO TO A THERAPIST DAVE G.

55. By gary potter on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

jeromy: true it is not easy being right. perhaps one of these days you might be right about something. LOL

56. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

gary potter well iam sure he well let use know REAL SOON , EVERY BODY GET READY IT COMING .

57. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

HUM,,,YOU GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE RAIDER FANS,,,,hey,,my father always taught me to be the bigger man and just ignore the as$holes that you cant get your hands on to help teach them respect and manners,,,,the more you post detrimental comments about each other the longer it will continue,,,untill tomorrows morning tailgate blog,,,,,GO 49ERS!!!!!

58. By candlestick faithful on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

oh,and by the way,,,we ALL mis-spell words every now and then on these blogs,,,because we try and type faster than we really can trying to get our point across,,,we all have done it,,,so to call some rude names or try and upset them over it is just as lame as anything else

59. By rjdniner on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

CANDLISTICK YOUR RIGHT :) :)

60. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Gary Potter, I even had to chuckle at the b!tch slap you gave Jeromy above.

61. By marcos g on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS, JEROMY IS A BALL BAG!!! COWGIRLS FAN IN DISGUISE!!!