• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Morning Tailgate: March 28

Posted by Taylor Price on March 28, 2012 – 8:59 AM

Headlines from league owner meetings in Palm Beach, Fla., have dominated Wednesday’s morning news.

First, several rule changes were put in place for the 2012 season. Most notably, regular-season overtime will now be the same as it is currently in the postseason. Also, all turnovers will be subject to replay.

The league owners voted to make both changes. Now, regular-season overtime will end if a team scores a touchdown or a safety, but the game will not come to an end if a field goal is first scored on the opening possession. Say goodbye to sudden-death overtime in the regular season.

NFL Coach of the Year Jim Harbaugh also addressed the media and had some poignant comments about free agent addition Randy Moss.

More on Harbaugh’s comments and 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Ian R. Rapoport of The Boston Herald spoke with Harbaugh this morning to see how the coach plans to utilize Randy Moss. Harbaugh told Rapoport he’d like to see Randy “put a stamp on his great NFL career, possibly a Hall of Fame career.”

Moss’ arrival should help San Francisco’s biggest offseason needs as Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com writes the 49ers need to be more balanced on offense after finishing 2011 as the league’s eighth-ranked rushing attack and 29th-ranked passing attack.

According to Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee, the 49ers worked out former Arizona Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui on Tuesday.

Lastly, you have until 2 p.m. PT to vote for the 1984 49ers to advance in the NFL’s Greatest Team of All-Time tournament.

More of Harbaugh’s comments from the league owner meetings were shared by Bart Hubbuch of The New York Post.

52 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 28”

1. By Micah on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Oh ya baby we just keep going just so everyone knows the Niners have just signed Brandon Jacobs ex Giants running back!!!! Wow we have a 5 headed monster at running back. Were all in this season boys going for the SuperBowl, Lets Go Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Micah on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Im sure the Niners site will have info posted shortly, I just saw it on Sports Center.

3. By candlestick faithful on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

wow,,,woke up this morning and saw that the 49ers had signed brandon jacobs,,,,well it looks like either kendall hunter or anthony dixon are on the chopping block,,,we cant carry 4 RB’s into the upcoming season,,,can we?? I love this signing,,,the last few years have taken a toll on frankie,,,and we have all agreed that frankie has been run into the ground these last 6 years in a non winning effort,,,,this is harbaugh’s way of keeping frankie fresh,,,cuz jacobs is a bowling ball with a chip on his shoulder for being let go by the giants,,,,ONE HELL OF A 1-2 PUNCH AT RUNNING BACK WE NOW HAVE

4. By candlestick faithful on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

I say 4 RB’S because rock cartright is a special teams guy like anthony dixon and wont see much time in the backfeild,,,unless there is an injury to one of the other backs,,,gore,,,jacobs,,,or hunter

5. By temper on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

This is off topic, but does anyone know where I can purchase the niners 2011/12 season on DVD? I really just want to have the 9ers/Saints game on my shelf, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them sell just individual games. I still have that game on my DVR and watch the fourth quarter every once in a while, but my family is starting to grumble that it is taking up too much room on the DVR. I just can’t bring myself to delete it though. One of the best feelings I’ve had watching sports… ever. Any ideas… anyone?

6. By Obijwon on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Glad to hear that we have signed Jacobs. He will compliment Gore very well. This also gives Hunter another year to refine his skills. Looks like Dixon is the odd man out. The money has to come from somewhere and I don’t think the niners coaching staff haven’t been to fond of him since he was drafted.

7. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

obijwon I have to agree DIXON is probably geting ready to pack his bag . N OW A RED ZONE BOWLING FOR TOACHDOWN .

8. By Dan E. on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Wasn’t too sure how I felt about Randy Moss, until I found out Alex was signing back on.
    If we can’t improve the pitcher – at least we can expand the strike zone. :-P

Let’s go Alex ! Give us the performance of a lifetime!

9. By candlestick faithful on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

WOW!!!!! no jeromy or 11 years yet today,,,,

10. By bayareafanatic on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Test

11. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

candlestick dont get to excited they havent gone away ,start talking about that dare i say :) :)

12. By bayareafanatic on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Jed York,
    this team is ready to win now. This defense is ready to win now. I was all set to buy my tickets. Looking at PSL’s. Excited about the new stadium. And then you went and rolled Alex Smith out again.
    I am tired of watching this guy under center. He lacks fire and he lacks consistency but most of all, he lacks instinct.
    I’m going to hold off on my tickets now. Alex Smith and his league low TD, yardage and 3rd down conversion statistics just don’t do it for me.
    Applaud you for looking at Payton. Applaud you for adding Moss and Manningham. Now bite the bullet and go with JJ OR CK. I truly hope Alex has the shortest leash in the history of the NFL this next season. And if it’s clear he isn’t the best QB in camp, the 49ers as an organization have the guts to make the switch then.
    This teams blood burns in my veins. I walk the stadium and I see that no one wears #11. NO ONE. YOU HAVE PSL’S TO SELL AND ALEX WILL NOT SELL THEM FOR YOU.
    If the front office offered Smith such a low figure both monetarily and length of time, then why bring him back? If you went fishing for Payton and Alex knew it, then why bring him back? And why offer him more than he is worth?
    I just don’t understand. But what I do understand is I will continue to go with my friend who owns tickets, but I will not be buying them…..

13. By hmrhead on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? This is an awful signing! Jacobs sucks! He hasnt been valuable for 3 seasons. Why do we allow talent, ala Josh Morgan, walk for 2 years at 7 million dollars and sign Moss and Jacobs for twice that amount??? Josh signed for peanuts!!! Yet we invest in a guy that didnt even play last year. He’s 35 years old for Christ’s sake! Makes no sense!

14. By bayareafanatic on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Why is my comment awaiting moderation?

15. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

hmrhead he 29 yrs ,so were did you get he was 35 yrs . hes goin to help alot in the red zone , Trentt and jim know what there doing .

16. By ninersrock on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Jacobs scored 8 TD’s last season and 9 TD’s in 2010. Don’t see how the equates to sucking. Adding a player that can score is a good thing in my book.

17. By Micah on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Gore is 100% our starter. Kendall Hunter is our speed open field guy and he is fricking awesome he is our number 2 and will develop and get better each year. Now Brandon Jacobs gives us the short yardage goalline backup for Gore when Gore is tired because Hunter is not a between the tackles runner he needs room.. When coach Harbaugh brings back Jacobs spirit and gets him to play like he was 3 4 years ago he will be just as powerful and deadly as he was then. We all know our coach brings out the best in everyone on the team and he will do the same for Jacobs and Moss. Its too the superbowl everyone were all in this year. We cannot carry 5 running backs though I am pretty sure Anthony Dixon will be released. Sucks cuz I liked Dixon a lot and saw plenty of potential but Jacobs is a beast and wow what a surprise but a great move.

18. By Micah on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

I live a half hour away from Lambeau Field and cant wait for my beloved Niners to visit Wisconsin this season and whoop the Pack!!!!!! Ill be there 100% cheering for our team guys, ill make enough noise for all of us!!!!

19. By @ Micah on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

All of Hunter’s best runs were between the tackles, his vision sets him apart and with his unique size, he fits through any hole those big linemen leave unwarranted.
    Remember, Jim and greg went with a lot of finesse type offense, running end arounds to ginn/crabb and throwing to linemen… Don’t be surprised if you see Gore, Miller and Jacobs in on the same play running some wing type or wishbone action.
    Defenses will be absolutely forced into man to man with 8-9 guys in da box… Then we give Moss or Davis the green light, haha, good time to be a fan.
    All you other defensive coordinators… “Good Luck”, lol

20. By gary potter on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

if jacobs gets halfway back to where he was 3 yrs ago it is a steal. i agree dixon is odd man out. he only looked good in 1st pre season.

21. By tjsninermagic on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Jacobs makes a great fit. Dixon was in the dog house a year ago because of his lack of game. I like Dixon, but if WE want to win NOW, we need to make a few moves now. And that is exactly what Jim and Trent are doing. The only question I have is with all the FA signings the niners have done, what will we do in the draft. O line, defensive line depth, wr? I am so ready for the season to start…..LETS GO NINERS!

22. By SHIP on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Relax Hmrhead. Look, the niners are signing people with low risk contacts that fill weaknesses and are heavily based on “incentives”. They produce, they get paid…they don’t produce, they don’t. Losing Josh is not that big a deal considering we got Manningham. Its a balancing act on salary caps. Moss is 6’4″ and will help us in the redzone which was a weakness & Jacobs will help Gore not get pounded so much on short yardage (he is huge) because Dixon was kind of a disappointment last year. In all reality Jacobs is getting backup money unless he produces big. Its low risk, smart moves. Salary cap balancing is very much under-estimated to create a slod all around team with depth at all positions.

23. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

gary potter your right , hes not going to have to run every down like Frank did for yrs and beside if Dixon is cut he ll be ok . The niners have become real slick in the FA signings i just wonder what they got up there sleave now .

24. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

hey history lession remenber we needed a linebacker so we went out got Ricky jackson from the saint he was part of the group linbacker the saints had that were killing peaple and i think they all went to the pro bowl . That year we won the super bowl niners

25. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

…..look the off season is here and the team is grabbing guys they think can help them they will run em and put em thorugh their paces and see where they fall …there will prob be more guys and the draft is going to be real interesting if they decide to move up or not ..i dont believe so and yet i also thought several other things and yea we all know how that went ….simple thing the coach and his aids are i believe the best in the business right now i hope we keep em for a few years ..they are hard nosed and ready to take this league by storm …the schedule is hard this year so it will be a good test for the entire team …i believe they are going to be useing guys in several situations and they will surprise the league as to how good the staff really is

26. By jeromy on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

what are we going to do for QB, obviously Alex was a stopgap, its time to move on to better players, time to bring the QB position up to the level of the other players on the field!! go niners!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. By Dugovic on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Well,i will be not surprise,and not pleas at all,if 49ers will be run same gadget offensive,like last season.

28. By Hmrhead on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Signing to low risk contracts???
    IF he returns to ….
    Use Jacobs for short yardage.

I’m sorry. Dont agree.

#1. You dont let a 26 yr old WR, who prior to his injury was our 2nd best offensive player last year, walk for 7 mil over 2 years and then sign a 35 yr old WR that wasnt in the league last year. They gave Moss 500k less than Morgan!

#2. We then turn around and pick up Jacobs who was one of the worst short down backs in football! He averaged less than a 50% coversion rate on short yardage conversion runs. You tell me the difference between Dixon and Jacobs. Jacobs scored 9 TDS??? Who cares! They were all 1yd TD runs. I’m sorry. Is Frank struggling in the red zone? Is Dixon not capable of pounding in a 1yd run?

I’m a true fan. When Jacobs and Moss wear the Crimson and Gold, he’ll get my cheer. However, I do not agree with their last two moves. This is the kind of moves the Raiders make.

29. By KC on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

its possible the niners will
    go defense N the 1st rd. line backer, R (d-line) go niners.

30. By true faith49 on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

we didnt let any wr go morgan wanted to test the market he has been a career back up and niners were not ready to pay him 7 mil a year like redskins are. its not 7 over two yrs its 7 a yr. i saw the update myself you are misinterperiting the info

31. By candlestick faithful on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

with all the free agent signings so far,, we havent addressed the O-line,,so I’m thinking we go OT 1st round,,,DB 2nd round,,,D-line 3rd round,,WR 4th round,,,D-line 5th round,,,LB 6th round and best available on the board with 7th ,,,unless we try and move up and draft either twice in the 2nd round or twice in the 3rd,,,that would give us some talent to maybe help this year,,,cant wait for the draft,,,thats right rjd I will be at the draft party again this year,,,:as he rubs it in,,,:)

32. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

HEY candllestick IF i win that lottery i have my own VEREY LARGE PARTY BY invitation only , ya man and then i buy the best seats at the new stadium I still say it going to be decastro if hes there when we pick or WR .

33. By gary potter on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

jeromy: you are a true fan??LOL. you said last week “peace” and see you all in the fall. what the heck you doing back?? you seen more film that no one else is permitted to see? you been talking to coach JH?? you sure seem to know a lot about nothing. give it a rest.
    go niners

34. By ceadderman on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

As long as he isn’t facing the 9er Defense Jacobs could be pretty good. Especially in the Red Zone. It’s not like Marshawn Lynch is a Free Agent or anything. I don’t expect Dixon to go anywhere at least this year. He’s young. Frank and Jacobs are nearing 30. They won’t be around forever. So I see Dixon making the squad as a Backup/ST player to give the team some depth since they lost Costanza and Cartwright is in his 10th season. Gonna need the depth.

35. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

ceaderman i agree with your piont , this is his thirde yr i mean what ever they decide to do, he going to have to step up, tough decision are what TRENTT and JIM get the big bucks good or bad we all know it really sucks somtime . niners

36. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

So let me get this straight….Jeromy is continously bashing our QB and we defend him, but we not the true 49er fans and must get off? So a true 49er fan continuously bashes the 49ers starting QB which the head coach & GM resigned with the intention to start again. So instead of standing behind this QB and being supportive, we are to constantly show him no support and wish for him to fail BECAUSE thats what a true 49er fan would do. So the only TRUE SF49er are those who are not supportive of the ENTIRE TEAM? Oh…our bad Jeromy, we thought we knew what a TRUE SF49ER FAN. We suppose to constantly bash our starting QB & basically not support our Head Coaches decisions. That would make us a true fan. How did we miss that in FAN101?

37. By bayareafanatic on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Hey Dave,
    the coaching staff wasn’t 100% behind Alex either. They tried to replace him. And the only reason he was re-signed is because CK isn’t ready yet. Remember, they offered a very low contract and the guaranteed money was very low too. Basically with that offer they told Alex he isn’t going to be here for long. Especially if he is once again dead last in TD’s, yards and 3rd down conversions.
    And when Alex went to test the market, NOBODY WANTED HIM. Lets hope Alex finally plays like a number one pick, otherwise CK should get a shot.
    Think Jed York is going to sell PSL’s with Alex as his QB? Ever go to the stadium? No one wears his jersey. No one believes in him. He better step it up…

38. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Bayareafanatic..I am really not going to waste my time breaking down a response on those clueless points because its things thats already been addressed & there are too many inaccuracies & details left out by you to bother. I really don’t feel like typing you a longer response. Not sure where you been but you are not every observant on top of everything else? You are totally missing the point and are jumping in on the tail end. Just stay fanatically clueless in the Bay Area son.

39. By bayareafanatic on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave,
    how come the Alex crowd is the one that starts the personal attacks? Stats are on my side. And trust me, I don’t post inaccuracies.
    I’m not your son. And if I posted inaccuracies please list them….

40. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

WOULD YOU PEAPLE RATHER HAVE TEBOW ? LET TALK ABOUT THAT FOR A CHANGE

41. By SHIP on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Bayareafanatic, you should probably look at past blogs by Dave G. and others. You are posting inaccuracies. You are really late in the conversation and you do sound like his son because if you read past blogs, you will see how much schooling you have missed. Just sayin….

42. By bayareafanatic on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ship,
    what are you like five years old? If I’ve listed an inaccuracy then please tell me what it is?
    I said that defense carried this team this year. I said that management has spoken and is not thrilled with Alex’s league low totals in TD’s, yardage and third down conversions. I know they are not thrilled because he got offered a series of one year contracts with a very low guarantee.
    Alex read that as management saying that he had one year to step it up or CK will take over. And they tried to replace him with Payton Manning. Did you guys forget that? Oh and when he tested the market, NO ONE WANTED HIM…..
    Where is my inaccuracy?

43. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

bayareafantic YOU ARE WORNG ABOUT THE JERSEY YOU SAID NOBODY WANT ONE RIGHT #11 all your doing is blowing smoke look at the tail gat photo there some one wearing # 11 .

44. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

DRAFT DAY PARTY LAST YEAR #11

45. By dave g. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Common bayareafanatic…you not in my league & I am not wasting my time repeating what I have already said to someone like you. You know what you did & why. RJDNINER gave you a small taste of all the BS you just spit out. Let it go son.

46. By rjdniner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

dave g. he has a right to make comment s I ENJOY IT :) and thanks agine

47. By SHIP on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

bayareafanatic…dude you exaggerate the facts, conveniently with extreme bias leave certain things out, embellish & convey your perceptions like they are 100% facts. You act like we all have been on a different planet the last year and missed all the NFL news & don’t have the internet.

48. By bayareafanatic on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave G,
    you and your Alex Smith Cult are welcome to debate football with me anytime. The facts are the facts. AS has got no game. He’s a vanilla game manager at best.
    Instead of talking like you know something, bring something to the table. And you are right Dave G, I am not in your league. I don’t speak ebonics and I back my mouth up with facts not trash talk…

49. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Bayareafanatic…you emotional & exaggerate. Stick to the facts and logic and quit being an emotional middle aged housewife who loves drama and spices up her tales to make her point or story have more impact. And by the way, I do know a lot but its not about that, its about sticking with the facts through logic instead of your emotional tirades with extra spices. I am clearly saying what I am saying, if you interpret actual english language as ebonics, its not me that has the learning disorder son. You may have to look in the mirror & ask someone what ebonics really is.

50. By bayareafanatic on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Dave,
    if you are going to continue to point out my “lack” of facts and exaggeration, then point them out. You can’t. Listen bro, if you like Alex then fine. But if you want to exaggerate what he has done to support your stance then you are I will go round and round.
    I am a 49er fan, I am not interested in spooning with Alex Smith….

51. By SHIP on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Bayareafanatic, Dave is absolutely right. Not sure you know what the word “exaggerate” means. Why you wasting our time with your emotional babble? Were you in the same room as Alex’s agent when he fielded questions about his client throughout? Did you hear the conversation Alex had with Miami? Did you seem to forget the Niners offered Alex the contract some time before they ever considered Peyton & you seemed to miss Alex bailing out the defense in the playoff game vs the Saints with only 1 healthy starting WR, Smith putting together his finest year as a pro, finishing the season with a 90.7 QB rating, a 61.4 completion percentage and the NFL’s lowest interception percentage (1.1). Smith also tied the franchise record with four, 4th quarter come-from-behind wins on the road (QB Joe Montana – 4 in 1989)..and…and…yeah, I can go on but whats the point…

52. By dave g. on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Is this Bayareafanatic fool still trying to bark? Oh we have another ankle biter. Its not about loving or hating Alex, its about the facts which Ship clearly stated some above. Common fool, stop trying so hard you obviously are intellectually & emotionally inferior. You have “extreme or irrational beliefs” & you trying to mold it as facts.