Morning Tailgate: March 27

Posted by Taylor Price on March 27, 2012 – 9:02 AM

Ronnie Lott and his teammates from the 1984 San Francisco 49ers need your help.

Lott’s ’84 Niners have made it to the final four of the NFL’s Greatest Team of All-Time Tournament after they happened to narrowly defeat the ’89 San Francisco club.

This time around in the semifinal round, the 49ers will square off with the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Voting runs through 2 p.m. PT on March 28, 2012.

Lott was also recognized elsewhere on Monday. More on that and 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Chris Burke of SI.com continues to rundown the best draft picks of all-time and lists Lott as the greatest No. 8 overall draft selection in NFL history. Lott was a 10-time Pro Bowler, eight-time All-Pro, four-time Super Bowl Champion, a member of the NFL’s All-Decade Teams of the ‘80s and ‘90s, a member of the league’s 75th anniversary team and was inducted in the Hall of Fame’s Class of 2000.

The holders of this year’s No. 8 overall pick are the Miami Dolphins. The first team to draft out of the NFC West is the St. Louis Rams who hold the No. 6 overall pick after making a big trade with the Washington Redskins. NFC West blogger Mike Sando lists all the draft picks for each team in the division and examines which NFL team holds the most picks this year.

Whoever the 49ers draft in 2012 will seemingly be challenged to crack the starting lineup with 20 of 22 starters signed under contract beyond 2012 according to Eric Branch of The San Francisco Chronicle.

Further offseason roster analysis is provided by CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Maiocco who examines whether the 49ers have made improvements on defense, special teams as well as on offense.

Lastly, 49ers.com continued our pre-draft “49 in 49” series by kicking-off ACC Week. Our first profile story covered the four-year production of North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples.

The 49ers officially hold seven selections in this year’s draft (three in the first 92 selections) after the team was not rewarded any compensatory picks.

Tags:

15 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 27”

1. By Temper on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Ding, Ding, Ding…

Alex Smith rocks!

Go.

2. By Temper on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

To give Ronnie his much deserved due respect… My kid started playing free saftey last year at age 12. For motivation, we watched the Ronnie Lott highlights that are all over You Tube. Just awesome. He was so fun to watch. With all the new rules, I wonder if Lott would have been able to play in today’s game – or would have been as explosive of a player.

At any rate, thank you Ronnie for the 49er era that every other 49er team since then and for all time will be compared to.

3. By Kyle on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Temper,
    Ill be doing the same for my sons for motivation. Perhaps by the time they consider professional ball it will be between the NFL (two hand touch) or a new pro league insisting and valuing the competitiveness that these hard hits bring to the table.
    The NFL best further regulate with caution, too many entrepreneurial businessmen out there that could directly compete with the NFL if they offer the best college defensive players an opportunity to bring the WOOD!

4. By Temper on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m hoping for technology to solve the problem. I don’t want to see people get hurt (either immediately, or suffer long term effects after they leave the game) but I also don’t want the game to be regulated into flag football either. I looking for advanced technology in helmets etc. to provide better protection – thus allowing players to play all out they way Lott did. His game was inspiring. C’mon science, fix this problem! If we can put a man on the moon…. we should be able to develop a concussion free helmet, spine-saving brace, etc.

5. By Dan E. on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Ronnie Lott, his name says it all.
    All we have to do is close our eyes and think back to all those impressive plays on the ball, crushing tackles, and impressive moments of leadership (on and off the field).
    #42 is a jersey that Niner fans wear with pride!

6. By Rowdyone on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Compound fracture Of Finger Miss the playoffs Or Cut it Off And play in the playoffs he had it cut off and played football one hell of a football player Ronnie Lott was one Bad dude so glad he was a 49er I will never forget this Man!!! 49er for Life!!

7. By rjdniner on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I HAVE HIS AUTOGRAPH ON HIS PICTURE IN THE 1984 PRO BOWL PROGRAME WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGH THE VALUE OF HIS SIGNETURE. I NEVER BEEN ABLE TO FIND OUT , I BOUGHT THE PROGRAM FOR $2 I GOT BILL AND JOE TOO TO ME THERE PRICELESS .

8. By Jason Ruiz on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Ronnie Lott were do I start, as a young child growing up going to Candlestick park with my uncles and going out to Rocklin for the 49ers training camp are very deep memories to me. I remember all the team of the 80’s players as if they were familiy to me, and the greatest owner ever Eddie “D” and the greatest coach ever “BW” Billl Walsh. All the excitment for me just being there and that close to the players and then, the players actually come over to you and saying “thank you” for coming out was amazing for a child to hear and the respect I felt to my hero’s growing up as a child. Now I am 36 years of age and with 6 children of my own and raising my children up at Candlestick as I was as a child and also taking them out to training camp here in Santa Clara is the biggest joy for me to beable to have my kids feel the sameway that I felt when I was there age, with a smile from ear to ear and that glazed look upon there face of seeing your favorite play right up close and beable to actually meet and speak to him, is the biggest joy to see my kids this so excited and always talking about it all the time just the way that I have and I still do to this day and I always will. Thank you Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Russ Francis, Bubba Paris, Freddie Solomon, Dwight Clark, Gary Plummer< Eric Davis, Guy McIntyre, Roger Craig, Jesse Sapolou, and to my favorite player of all time RONNIE "HIT MAN" LOTT. Thank you so much SF 49ERS

9. By Micah on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Wish I would have been alive to have watched the 84 team but I still am voting for them obviously since I have seen plenty of footage of them dominate.

10. By Sitiveni Young on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I heard Deuce Lutui was visiting with us? That would be a great addition to our offensive line. The guy did have weight issues down in Az, but his talent speaks for itself! He brings veteran, playoffs, and most importantly SUPERBOWL experience! Plus this guy is Tongan built and injuries has never slowed him down. Iupati and Lutui = Gore 2500 yards with 30TDs yadaladigg???

11. By 49faith49 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

probably the wrong place to do this but can we get a 49 in 49 on Demario Davis

12. By Temper on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

This is off topic, but does anyone know where I can purchase the niners 2011/12 season on DVD? I really just want to have the 9ers/Saints game on my shelf, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them sell just individual games. I still have that game on my DVR and watch the fourth quarter every once in a while, but my family is starting to grumble that it is taking up too much room on the DVR. I just can’t bring myself to delete it though. One of the best feelings I’ve had watching sports… ever. Any ideas… anyone?

13. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

SITIVENI He has wieghte issue to deal with at one time he wieght in at 380 lbs according to the press release, maybe hes lost some so he can sign with use, he was 2nd rd pick BIG ROAD GRADER for frank . they would never see frank or kendl running behind that guy .

14. By rjdniner on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

MY qustion does anybody know where our salary cap stand now with all of these signing anybody

15. By pat on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

To temper… u can always check YouTube.com … if its on there just save it to ur computer and burn it to a DVD… that’s the only thing I can think of to get just one individual game instead of the whole season