Morning Tailgate: March 26

Posted by Taylor Price on March 26, 2012 – 10:31 AM

Fresh off a weekend in the snow, 49ers.com has scooped up all the top headlines from the weekend.

If you missed our Celebrity Winter Fest updates from the weekend, there was plenty of money being raised for the 49ers Foundation. Players, coaches, general manager Trent Baalke and alumni traveled up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend to help out a great cause which aims to keep underprivileged kids safe, on track and in school.

One of the weekend’s noticeable attendees was recognized in another way by a respected football analysis site. More on that, important league news and other 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

According to ProFootballFocus.com, 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith led the NFL in pass rushing productivity in 2011. PFF’s numbers show Smith having a 15.36 pass rushing productivity rating after the No. 7 overall pick in last year’s draft totaled a combined 64 sacks, hits and hurries on just 337 pass rushes.

With league owner meetings taking placed this week, several rule revisions will be discussed by the league’s competition committee. ProFootballTalk.com highlights the possible changes which is led by postseason overtime rules potentially being implemented in the regular season.

Venerable Sports Illustrated columnist Peter King updates all things NFL from the league meetings in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, including his thoughts on his favorite 10 moves of the free agency period thus far. King ranked Alex Smith’s re-signing with the 49ers as his second-favorite move.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes Virginia Tech running back David Wilson will visit the 49ers on April 11 and 12 according to a league source.

Barrows also shared a rundown of 49ers players who he’s seen arriving to team headquarters presumably for offseason workouts.

Lastly, if you missed the finale to our “49 in 49: Big East Week” coverage, we profiled Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead and Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones.

49ers defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois certainly enjoyed his time at the Winter Fest. Stay tuned all week for more coverage from the event, only on 49ers.com.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 26”

1. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

another day less we have to wait for draft …..NINERS ROCK ON

2. By okcniner on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

now its eleven years? Your whole identity to this site is tied to Alex Smith…..such a sad life.

3. By candlestick faithful on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

great pic of aldon getting big ben,,,that was a night to remember @ candlestick,,,when the lights went out,,we fans just kept up the faith and we just KNEW we were gunna beat the steelers,,,cant wait for the draft and the season to get started again!!!!!!!!

4. By robert on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Alex can throw the deep one…he can throw all outs and ins…..if you recall Joe wasn’t known as a rocket throwing qb…either was steve young…..man your just another armchair qb……in football it’s accuracy not how hard you throw, and how many deep balls have you seen thrown by Alex that was dropped…a few….sit back and enjoy the season coming up and when Alex breaks that 4,000 mile mark with at least 25 td’s then i’m sure you’ll find something else about him you don’t like.Alex is there for a reason and coach wants him there…..I guess possibly your also a better coach too jeromy……..man dude that’s a true niner fan…knocking your qb…..what’s next P Willis isn’t the best linebacker in football…….

5. By dave g. on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Robert, those two fools (Jeromy & 11 years) are on these blogs just to hate, hate and hate on Alex. They have nothing good and insightful to say about the team overall and all they do is search the internet (copy & paste) for negative quotes about Alex from any arm chair qb, while ignoring the good quotes. They would have made the 3rd Reich proud. There are the biggest losers you will ever find on these blogs and they will do this all season & root for him to fail so they can just say they told you. That wish will over-ride their desire for us to win. Yeah, they are indeed that lame.

6. By natedawg on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

I am very happy with the moves the 9ers made this season. Not only did they keep their core defense together, they upgraded their offense tremendously!

Offense
    QB-Smith
    RB-Gore/Cartwright
    WR- Moss
    WR-Manningham
    WR-Crabtree (I’m still waiting for him to prove himself)
    WR/KR-Ginn
    TE-Davis/Walker
    Friggin superstar offense!

Just keep our o line strong, maybe get a couple clutch rookies OL and we’ll be in the bowl!

Lets go boys!

7. By cniner on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

I just hope that Smith can manage to throw more than 17 TDs this year, with the new recievers, no more excuses. No way a starting QB that hopes to win the SB can average just over 1 TD per game. Lets hope the new additions allow the offense to open up some, and in turn allow Frank Gore to go nuts on some Ds. I will support Alex as my QB if thats what coach chooses, but dont mean i gotta like our offense being so lethargic. If we can figure out some way to get the O to our Ds level, we’ll be unstoppable, if Alex can manage that, then fine, if not, put someone in who can. PERIOD

8. By SHIP on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Jeromy, everyone has an opinion. I for one am not going to quote others to make my point because I can articulate my own thoughts. But I will say this, I am not sure what was said in those quotes that is ground breaking. It does not take a genius to know that Colin is the QB of the future. That would have still been the case even if we would have signed Peyton. Colin IS extremely talented but some of the so called experts you like to quote said that he was very raw & it would take a few years for him to be ready. And I completely agree. I like Colin and look forward to his development. If he develops quicker than expected, he he outperforms Alex, than JIM will make the right choice BUT it does not take away the fact that signing Alex was the right thing to do incase he is not ready yet. From my understanding that was the point. Not sure where one of those guys used the words “surpar QB” but regardless Harbaugh & Baalke have made ALL the right moves. Its over, you did not get what you wanted…they signed Alex. Move on b!tch.

9. By SHIP on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

I am not Pro-Alex or Anti-Alex. I am Pro-49ers regardless of who outperforms who to win the starting job. Some of these idiots are all about loving or hating a guy. Its rediculous!

10. By candlestick faithful on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

well,,I would say that trent dilfer was a subpar qb but he,,in his own way,,led the 2000 ravens to a super bowl victory,,,even when the team hit a 6 game stretch in which they did not score a touchdown on offense,,,this defense is better than the 2000 ravens,,,alex smith is WAYYY better than dilfer was,,,and our special teams is tops in the league,,,even with average qb play we should be able to win our div. again,,,make the playoffs,,,and in the end,,,isnt that what we,,as fans,,,should root for every year??,,alex,,,kaepernick,,tolzein,,johnson,,I believe in harbaugh,,,therefore I believe in all of them,,,,and if none of those 4 can get it done,,,Im sure jeromy or 11 years can suggest someone who can,,,,LOL

11. By dave g. on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

All Jeromy has as a comeback is lack of spell check on blogs & bring out people thinking is pretty? Man those are some lame combacks. Is this guy for real? Its like reading Michael Scott trying to diss…Hey Jeromy try using fluffy fingers on him. Wow. Ok..SHIP you are correct, and I agreed with what you said. I always liked Colin and I remember him coming out of the draft & Mike Mayock and others saying he was very athletic, talented and very raw. I know Jim will turn him into a star & its a no-brainer Jim drafted him high with the plan of him being the guy. In the meantime, it makes complete sense to resign Alex & in all reality the SF49ers made the smart move because Alex Smith’s second-year base salary of $7.5 million is fully guaranteed “only” if Smith remains on the 49ers’ roster on April 1, 2013. It pretty much means that the 49ers can get out of the contract following the 2012 season with only $1 million guaranteed. In reality, the 49ers committed only one year at just over $9 million to Smith to buy us time for Colin to be ready. I am not sure why Jeromy and 11 Years do not see that as being a smart move in the event that Colin is not fully ready this year. Are they that ignorant or that biased & emotional to see that being a smart move to make sure we cover all our bases? On Josh Johnson, common he is merely a 3rd stringer or else we would not have waited that long to sign him. He is very talented but his work ethic has been in question.

12. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

what are you 12 comebacks we are discussing QB possibilties for the niners and why one should be there or not ….pay attention …please ….i have no desire to pander your adolesence as you parade around the blog trying to get everyone to cheer for your snide remarks as is the businees of the day …..The niners need a well rounded QB who can change with the game ….as in turnovers …they need to be turned into TD’s …alex could not ….dureing a game where both defenes are getting it done …we need a QB who can take charge and rally the group to make plays ….Alex could not ……when the play called looks like a bust we need a QB who can see the defense and find the open guy …..the long bomb is and always will be the same thing …if it is there take it …and make it accurate so the guy can score ….same story the coach will deffinatly find a QB this year if it happens to be alex then great ….if he cant perform easy tasks then yes i will say something as his performance last year was lacking yes i will talk about that …some or all wont agree …..and that is ok

13. By dave g. on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Eleven Years coming to defend his damsel in distress as always. Isn’t that sweet, I bet Jeromy feels special.

14. By jake on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Jeromy and 11 years with Alex what does Alex have to do before you change your mind about him and if you say he cant do anything then that means you want him to fail so your not wrong.

15. By Micah on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

hey Jeremy obviously you don’t knoow anything. You say its gonna be Kaepernicks job soon wow your an idiot. First of all Alex Smith is our guy and he will only keep getting better. This will be the first year he will come back into the same system he played in the year before and he was a stud last season. The minute it toook to read your post is a minute I wish I had back. People like you should go on the Miami Dolphins website cuz their team is worth about the same as you are which is 0. As much as I like Colin the job will not be his for awhile and chances are now that we signed Josh Johnson Colin might even not be on the team in a year or so. To all the true niner fans rock on peeps and cheer loud enough for our niners so its heard all around the country. We have a great team and the best coach in the league. Cant wait to see who we get in the draft cuz I know whoever Jim and Trent pick will turn out just like Aldon and be a dominant pro bowl player. By the way how in the world did Aldon Smith not go to the pro bowl anyone have an anwser for that? Unreal Unreal. I love my Niners!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Micah on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

And eleven years obviously you didn’t watch any Niner games last year. Ummmmm lets see a 4th quarter game winning touchdown against the then undefeated Lions, ummmmm brought us back to win against the giants during the regular season and ummmmmmm how bout that 4th quarter game winning touchdown against the Saints in the playoffs. Ya he didn’t have a great hall of fame season but only 5 picks and did exactly what he was asked to do. Remember he had no off season to learn Jim’s system he had to learn it as the season went along and he got better each game. Wow I hate all the Alex haters. I can’t wait to see you all eat your words when Alex tears it up this season since he has the entire offseason and the playbook we come out with will be way different when Jim institutes all the plays he has in his genius mind. Wow you people amaze me. Not even Tom Brady could have played under the incompitant coachs we had thru Alex’s entire carreer before our savior Harbaugh. Once again I love my niners and all the pretend fans and Alex haters can get bent. Go Niners and go Alex I love you both YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

17. By SHIP on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Dave just keeps pounding those two. Its rediculous how many times he keeps slamming them. HAAAAAA! SF49ERS ALL THE WAY! Its great to see 49er fans who actually get it. I am ready for the NFL Draft to keep adding more talent. Baalke has been doing a tremendous job! Harbaugh…you da man. Bring us home #6!

18. By jeromy on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

ridiculous, there now you know how to spell it. there are many other things i can teach you youngster, learn to keep quiet & listen when the adults are talking, maybe you will learn something & not have to spend your life calling people names

19. By jeromy on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

micah, its an article by the top talent scout,who is speaking the truth, learn before you speak such a long winded reply,{ hurts my eyes to try & read that dribble(smooch Alex this & smooch Alex that)}

20. By missouri 9er on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

Can’t we all just agree to disagree? lol I’m really looking forward to the draft, but with all the good FA signings i am curious if we go offense or defense this year? I do hate that we lost Snyder he was the ultimate plug and play guy for the O line, so maybe we pick up somebody there? Any thoughts on that??? GO NINERS!

21. By true faith49 on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

posting other critics opinions on your blog is not facts and those same people said niners were not gonna do a damn thing last year especially sando omg so reputable lmao what a maroon act like any one gives a damn what they say thats not the niner way get real already he played as consistent as your mouths last year 8 game winning streak great road record what else dose hey have to do????? hold the ball for kyle maybe??? yea thats it if he wasnt just a game manager he would have got in there and caught it for him like all the other great qbs do right???? thT must be it hey maybe he even tried to be like all the other cool elite qbs and threw ints in the playoffs….. oh wait no he didnt i think jeromy and 11 thinks he did

22. By rjdniner on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

If we have a solid OL tell me we do . we lost snyder it takes time to develope that line so with that said i hop and pray that those issue is addressed . we brought in Goodwin that worked now we lost on some FA .lnmen DO WE HAVE THE GUYS THAT CAN STEP IN AND MAKE IT HAPPEN ????

23. By candlestick faithful on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

we need help on the o-line,,,we will go tackle,,guard,,d-back,,wr,,d-line,,,lb,,,and best on the board with pick 7

24. By candlestick faithful on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

cant see them drafting a wide-out with the 1st pick after all the off-season WR signings,,,would like to see hill from GT or flloyd from ND i with the 1st pick but Im betting they go tackle in the 1st round,,,we need a 10 year starter on the RT spot

25. By candlestick faithful on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

WHOO HOO,,,,,,,just got my confirmation letter from the 49ers for this years season tickets and draft day party,,,,,,,,always a good time at the draft day party,,,,,and,,15 YEARS of Tailgate parties,,,,man,,,has it been that long? looking forward to the new stadium but will be sad to see candlestick fade into the sunset,,,alot of good and bad memories at the ‘stick,,,,way to go coach harbaugh building a long-term winner to move into our new diggs with,,,

26. By JR BACA, NEW MEXICO SAN FRANCISCO 49ER on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

ALL I HERE IS A BUNCH OF CRYBABY CRAP FROM JEROMY. YOU NEED GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE PAST AND LOOK AT WHAT ALEX IS DOING NOW WITH A GREAT COACH IN JIM HARBAUGH, I REMEMBER BACK IN THE EARLY 80’S, THEY HAD THEIR PROBLEMS THEN ALSO, THEY MADE THEIR ADJUSTMENTS AND WON A LOT OF GAMES. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE COACHING STAFF, WITHOUT A GOOD COACHING STAFF YOUR GOING TO HAVE A BAD TEAM. I BELIEVE THAT THIS 49ER GROUP OF GUYS IS THE BEST TEAM EVER IN 49ER HISTORY. YOU DON’T KNOW A THING ABOUT FOOTBALL JEROMY, JUST KNOW HOW TO RUN YOUR MOUTH LIKE THE OTHER NO NOTHING ALEX HATERS. YOUR AN ALEX HATER AND NOT A TRUE 49ER FAN. NEED TO GET A LIFE, YOU SEEM TO FORGET THAT ALEX TOOK US TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME LAST SEASON AND WILL TAKE US TO THE SUPER BOWL THIS SEASON AND WIN. ALEX’S BEST IS COMING THIS SEASON. FORGET ABOUT THE PAST, IT IS GONE, LOOK AT THE NOW.

GO 49ERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

27. By rjdniner on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

candlestick faithful thats it you had to go and bragg didnt you ;) When they tear down the stick are they going to sale pices of it ie the seats hey why not have the whole line stay for 5 yrs , have to fight the dreaded FA . Draft day ill be right in front of my 52 inch flat screen .

28. By dave g. on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

JR. BACA…You can tell that the Jeromy character is clearly a DORK by his responses. Like a “TOP TALENT SCOUT” is never wrong. There it is, it must be true a “top talent scout” said so! What a loser, he can’t even give solid arguments on his own but has to resort to copy & pasting so called “experts”. These so called experts hit and miss every year in drafts BUT he is going to quote them like their every word is the bible. What a loser! Hey Jeromy, I am a “TOP BOOB SCOUT” and homie your the biggest ones on these blogs!

29. By Micah on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Hey Jeremy I don’t take what other critics no matter how “knowledable” they are supposed to be and believe everything they say. I base what I saw Alex do last season as I watched every game they played and made it to see them beat the steelers live even though I live in Wisconsin. I make my own judgements and I saw the improvement of Alex and it will only get better. So shut it!!!!!!!!!!

30. By Temper on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

This is off topic, but does anyone know where I can purchase the niners 2011/12 season on DVD? I really just want to have the 9ers/Saints game on my shelf, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them sell just individual games. I still have that game on my DVR and watch the fourth quarter every once in a while, but my family is starting to grumble that it is taking up too much room on the DVR. I just can’t bring myself to delete it though. One of the best feelings I’ve had watching sports… ever. Any ideas… anyone?