Moss Speaks with Media

Posted by Alex Espinoza on March 12, 2012 – 9:23 PM

Though Jim Harbaugh may have retired from the NFL as a quarterback in 2000, he’s still got something left in the tank. Just ask Randy Moss, who caught passes from Harbaugh during a workout at 49ers headquarters on Monday before signing a one-year contract with the team.

Judging from his comments during Monday night’s conference call with the media, Moss was impressed with Harbaugh’s throwing ability.

“Yes, he can still bring it at his old age,” Moss said. “He’s probably sitting there with an ice pack on his shoulder right now, but yeah, he can still wing it.”

Moss, 35, acknowledged that it will be a challenge to return to the NFL after sitting out the 2011 season. Moss last played for the Patriots, Titans and Vikings in 2010, catching a combined 28 passes for 393 yards and five touchdowns in 16 games. For his career, Moss ranks tied for second in touchdowns (153), fifth in receiving yards (14,858) and ninth in receptions (954) in NFL history.

“I accept the challenge to get back into this league and still play at a high level,” Moss said. “Like I said, whatever my role’s going to be, I just want to go out there and be productive.”

Moss said he’s also looking forward to working with a young group of 49ers receivers. As a 13-year veteran with a successful track record, Moss said he enjoys being in a mentor role.

“I’m ready just to give back anything I have; my work ethic, my knowledge for the game and all the above,” Moss said. “I’m looking forward to going out here and working with these young guys and coaches included.”

After watching the 49ers reach the NFC Championship game in Harbaugh’s first season as an NFL coach, Moss said San Francisco became an interesting option.

“It was very intriguing for me to reach out to the 49ers and come to give them everything I had today,” Moss said. “It’s obvious they like what they saw. I don’t want to let them down. I just want to come and get back to what I do, and that’s getting out there playing football and stretching the field.”

Tags:
Posted in Transactions | 61 Comments »

61 Responses to “Moss Speaks with Media”

1. By ELGrande on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

im glad they signed randy moss that makes for morgan and williams to be wide open, just imagen the 4 wide sets, not to metion the physical blocking and big play makers in our thight ends. randy will be good for alex to throw to,most of the recivers have to jump to catch a throw from alex all randy has to do is put
    his hands out there and catch the high ball alex likes to throw. i wish i could watch them two throw the ball around already!…lol
    smart move niners! i feel the way a player acts on the feild is beacuse the team that he is on and our team knows how to manage those types of situations!
    LETS GO NINERS 2012!………..

2. By Chava on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Definitely a great player, I just hope he’s not going to bring a difficult environment to the locker room, they guy has attitude problems every now and then.

3. By JOHN PEREZ on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Best of luck to you in the coming season Randy, make all Niner Fans Proud.

4. By JOHN PEREZ on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah and remember NOBODY’S GOT IT BETTER THAN US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. By Zainal A. SahuKhan, CMSgt, USAF on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Niners…best of luck this year. On the road to a Sixth Lomardi Trophy.

6. By John on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

We should sign Peyton while we’re at it.

7. By Dan E. on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I like this move! Not that we can expect for him to grab 23 TD’s, but he’ll certainly encourage the other WR’s to bring their “A” game. Which may mean that we’re in for an exciting season.

Can’t wait !!!!!!!

8. By Daniel on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

With moss joining niners, we have gained another great hall of fame athlete. Cant wait to see him in red and gold!!!!! Lets go Moss!

9. By mikeyblazzze on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Ok…so anybody who really knows the NFL should really think here before they respond to me. Randy Moss? Yes, hes 35 and Yes he has had problems in the past…our team (the niners) should be careful. we should definately not put all our eggs in one basket as they say and we all know that really, out biggest and maybe only flaw needed for next season is new receivers…and i think even after the Moss deal, we should stock up at receivers 10 times above anything…I just dont think it should end with Moss…I think we should use our salary cap to stock up at WR…we should still go after Williams and Colston and others in draft. If we get 2 out of Moss, Williams and Colston, i think that would be great but we need to fight for them. Honestly, im excited about Moss, but he is unpredictable and short term with age…Im finally starting to really believe that Alex Smith just finally needs a good reciever package which he has never had…but back to Moss…we didnt give up too much and no matter what happens…its only a one year deal…but think about this…Moss finally retired and took a whole year off from the game as well as all the BS…i truely bet that that time really changed him, made him miss the game so much, and made his heart for the game and the basics grow soooo much…i think the time off really hit him hard and i have a feeling he will make one great comeback with the niners and harbaugh. When somebody misses something sooo much, was sooo great, had sooo much time to think and now has a team like the niners and coach harbaugh…i really think he will give his all ( : not even taking into account we need only WR’s this offseason

10. By Miguel Zaragoza on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

As much as i love the 9ers and the progress they have been making, i still believe the most crucial move that would impact the 9ers as a whole positively would be to find a quarterback with a better throwing ability. I know Alex Smith showed his athleticism running that last minute touchdown but he also did horribly to convert on third down against the Giants which proved to be crucial. Either way, I’m very glad they picked up Randy Moss. Most definitely one of my favorite receivers in the game.

11. By missouri 9er on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I like what Randy “CAN” bring to the field, but this makes me a little nervous. Hope for the BEST, come on Randy please be a “PROFESSIONAL ” influence to our young wideouts you could have a positive effect on them like Chris Carter had on you. Have a great year! GO NINERS!!!

12. By Greg Navarrete on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

We signed randy loss? we shouldve signed Jerry Rice!

13. By Rick in Round Rock on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

What a great pick . This is just the begining I cant wait till draft day….

14. By mikeyblazzze on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I really think we should go after Williams or Colston and pick another great receiver in our first round in the draft…if we sign deep at receiver, i think we have the Superbowl next year…Gore is the man…but we need to get deep in WR’s to be safe at making our team phenominal…much faith in Harbaugh though

15. By Joel in Connecticut on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

great pick-up, cant wait till next season, from a fan from CT

16. By niner4life on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

17. By christian on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

welcome back to the bay randy moss i know this time yoll be sucessful becuase your with the 49er family now please help us get our sixth lombardi trophy and finally get yourself a ring GO NINERS!!!!!! I BLEED RED N GOLD!!!

18. By DJWW on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

@McQueen
    Ah actually we signed several players to one year deals just last year

19. By philani banda on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

hs duin a grt job t dis yung guyz

20. By cliq-claq on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

i love this signing ….. i just hope it doesn’t stop them from going after wallace or drafting hill…. or resigning ginn…. we need that field position

21. By John on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Actually we only made it to the NFC championship. Hello? We signed Carlos Rogers and Braylon Edwards to 1 year deals last offseason

22. By KDB on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Just plain LIKE IT. Now give us 2 more, 1 by Free Agency and 1 by draft, keep Morgan and Crabbs, and perhaps Williams.

then who returns punts and KO’S. I hear Ginn is going to be a FA?

23. By nino on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Nice pic ninners randy is a winner just like the rest of the team let make it happend in 2013And 4 ever

24. By natedawg on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Its good to see that we are making moves, because we were one receiver away from winning a Superbowl last season. So for the price you can’t beat it, off the field he’ll be able to help our young receiving core/rookies.

On the field the “Moss” impact will also help our Offense. Defenses will be afraid of him stretching the field, which will open up our running game, and also open holes for others like Vernon Davis in the middle.

I will say that Josh Morgan and Tedd Ginn are free agents, and I think we need to at least retain Ginn after William screwing us out of a Superbowl last season. I love Morgan, but is he worth the risk after the injury?

I’d take him over Crabtree at this point, if it were up to me, dump him and try your luck w a better rookie WR that wont hold out half the season, to not produce in 4 seasons. Or pick up a speedster like Mike Wallace, or just invest the money in keeping the defense as dominant as they were last year.

But yea, overall, happy with the moss signing :)

25. By natedawg on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Or we can go pick up Owens and Burris, and we will have an unstoppable receiving core :)

Half joking, but imagine!

26. By yeahbaby49 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Let the dynasty begin again! On our way to 5 more rings!

27. By Yung Smash on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Big Move Smart Move By Coach He Went And Made A Splash The First Day Of Free Agency Now If We Could Get Matt Flynn Would Be Gr8!!!!!Faithful Since 84′

28. By Mark Hansen on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Its good we signed Moss but can’t forget to sign Ginn.

29. By nickolwillie on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

HEY RANDY WELCOME TO 49ERS NATION.I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU PLAY THIS SEASON WITH THE 49ERS AND HELPING THE TEAM GET BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL.GO 49ERS.

30. By PWNGE on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I have to say for bring an old man man he is playing better than expected his temper has cooled with that happening rhw 49ers will make it to the superbowl and win!!!! :)

31. By smo1144 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@McQueen We also signed Braylon Edwards to a one year deal and look how good he did.

32. By Tarcules on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t have the answers,….none of us really do,…. all I can do is 100% TRUST Harbaugh that the next season is going to be MAGICAL!!! We will be the NUMBER 1 FAN BASE in the league! I remember when all I want is one completion, then came 1 first down, then 1 TD,then 1 WIN and NOW 1 Superbowl!!! GO NINERS!!!!

33. By Ojay on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I think Moss was a great one year deal. It gives us another weapon and a deep threat, that will open our offense even more. Look at it this way, with the weapons that we have now we should have a special season this year. If we can get one shut down cornerback we will be unstoppable again. This is just only the beginning wait until draft day. Go Niners!

34. By Sergio77 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

im happry for Randy Moss coing too our team but please bring my boy MARIO WILLIAMS NOW MR. TRENT !!!!

35. By Sergio77 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

im happy for Randy Moss coming too our team but please bring my boy MARIO WILLIAMS NOW !!! MARIO WILLIAMS !!!!

36. By jeromy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Attitudes change, hopefully his is in the right frame for the time he is with us, because as far as talent goes he has as much as anyone to ever play the position!! I would love to see him add a “Jerry Rice” type work ethic for the end of his career, & for us to benefit from it

37. By rjdniner on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Until that first game when we all see hime play and how he reactes to certin situations . then we will all know , ACTIONS SPEACK LOUDER THAN WORDS

38. By Action Jackson on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I like it! We lost Morgan early and Edwards could not stay healthy! We lost Ginn and Alex Smith ran out of options to throw to. This is a great pickup at little cost. If we can get back to 3 healthy WR’s and keep this team together we will have a great run again!! Alex will be fine if he signs again, and if we have better WR’s we may convert more on 3rd down situations. This team is still young and we have great players to build off! I hope we can get our players signed and try again for the Bowl!!

39. By DYENNY on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

o.k. got a deep threat now . now we need to bring back rodgers and get a extra def tackle and extra of . lineman thru draft of free agency well be in super bowl

40. By benny hernandez on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

wE NEED TO DRAFT A SHUTDOWN CORNER FROM THE SEC
    NEBRASKA HAS A SHUTDOWN CORNER WHO COULD BE A NICE FIT
    FOR US

41. By bleeding red and gold on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Moss will be a great addition to our quad. Great move on behalf of the 49er organization and hats off to Randy Moss for bringing his talents and experience into the 49er huddle. Its time to snacth back the glory days and silence the critics! GO NINERS!!!

42. By Mountain Jack on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Kaepernick to Moss THIS SEASON.

43. By aramndo salinas on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Good signing,who will back-up Gore if injured?
    Improve defense even more,and make it to the playoffs,

44. By manny49mms on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Lets keepem coming… The more the better we will be. Keep everyone at the right price. Without going over cap. Like what we are doing. People know we got it good!!!!!! Need to sign Blake Costanzo. He did a hell of a job on special teams!!!! Always down the field.

45. By E.E.R. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Let me be the 1st to give you the moniker.. Randy REDZONE Moss!!! I can see double digit TD’s for you this year. Welcome aboard. How will the opposition be able to cover all the weapons in the redzone the 9ers have now…Also, welcome to DB COXa OK state alum going to be a good pick up…keep them come’g Trent & coach H.

46. By ninerlover on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

moss……..ok but still have alot of players yet to sighn or replace…. i wish we could keep ginn, and go get vincent jackson……. williams should go serve lunch at the good will.

47. By captain bam bam on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

randy moss is the og…

48. By BWick38 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

GRREEEEAAATTTTT!!! Re-Sign Ginn and Rogers, draft a solid WR in the second Round! Our team is strong enough to win multiple championships!

49. By niner for life on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

don’t get to hyped. he’s old i hope he can do great but not expecting much. to much hype on a 2.5 mill guy. lets resign rogers an sign a o gaurd!

50. By Hmrhead on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

So we sign a 35-year old WR who was out of the league last year for 2.5 million but allow our own talent, Josh Morgan, to sign with another club for 12 million over 5 years??? I have loved our personnel moves these past few years, but I dont understand this one at all.

51. By NINERFAN13 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Take Coby Fleener in 1st round, with Vernon, will be like the Patriots, And, with Moss going deep……….now just get Colin K in there ………………Watch out NFL

52. By Jason Perkins on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I am sorry i think the signing of Randy Moss is not a good signing. Look the bears signed Brandon Marshall for 2 third round picks. And he is young. Mike Wallace is still out there. I just hope that Randy Moss does not quit on us like he has done in the past.

53. By Hmrhead on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

just saw the contract for morgan is really a two year contract for 7.5 mill. We’d rather have Moss for 2.5 with incentives for 4mil than morgan for two years at 7.5mil??? he was our 2nd best offensive player last year. i just dont get it.

54. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Is this a joke??? Yea Moss is a good sign…but how the hell is this the only move we have made???? This is absolutely ridiculous….WE NEEED A RECEIVERRR AND ALL WE GET IS MOSSSSSSS?????? I dont get it….we needed to keep morgan and sign another LONG TERM REC!!!!!! VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

55. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

And comeon 4 years to rodgers??? He deserved 2 years and at the absolute most…would have rather offered him less and let him walk and allow culliver to fill his shoes and go get JAckson or Garcon.

56. By NinersUK on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Just to clarify. As much as some might think this is a risk. I’m willing to trust Trent Baalke and coach Harbaugh on this. Last season’s draft Niners fans were screaming blue murder when they signed Aldon Smith in the 1st round. We all know what happened there. I think they’re judgement is on point. Come on Ninernation. Drop the negativity. We’ve got too many reasons to be optimistic :)

57. By rjdniner on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

MONEY TALKS GET USED TO IT ……. IF MOSS WANT MORE AT THE END OF THE HE HAS TO PERFORM IE TD,S CATCH S GOT TO HAVE QB WHO CAN GET HIM THE BALL RISKY MOVE TO GET FLYNN BASED ON 2 GMS .
    DEAL WITH IT .

58. By Joe hendo on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Man im just so proud to be a niners fan, happy about moss and carlos getting signed,really wished we could grab peyton manning,but i really wished we could have got eric wright from the lions but all in all i love my niners!!!!

59. By Joe hendo on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah please sign brandon lloyd,and laurent robinson,or maybe even plaxico burress,we need all the recievers we can get!!!

60. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Yea im just a lil anxious i want that big play receiver…but harbaugh and baalke know what they r doing…Lloyd, Manningham, Burress one will be a niner and we still need to draft an O-lineman or WR

61. By JR BACA, NEW MEXICO SAN FRANCISCO 49ER on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Great signing, Moss is the man, he has something to prove to the world, I’m sure coach will choose someone else that is real good to replace Morgan.