Morning Tailgate: March 9

Posted by Taylor Price on March 9, 2012 – 10:13 AM

This edition of the Morning Tailgate pays tribute to an all-time 49er great who passed away Monday at the age of 73.

Roland Lakes, a defensive lineman (chasing down Packers Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr in the picture above), is proudly represented in the San Francisco 49ers 10-Year Club (a place for players with 10 years or more experience in a 49ers uniform). Lakes will be laid to rest Friday, March 16 at Mills Grove Christian Church in Oakland, Calif.

The memorial service will begin at 1 p.m. PT.

More on Lakes, a high-profile player spotted in public and other team-related headlines can be found after the jump.

Bob Lutz of The Wichita Eagle writes a touching tribute on Lakes, the former Wichita State Shocker, who started in 124 of his 154 career games during his 11-year career (10 seasons in San Francisco and one with the New York Giants).

ESPN senior draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has released his third mock draft of the 2012 offseason and has the 49ers taking Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill with the 30th overall pick. ESPN.com NFC West blogger Mike Sando summarized Kiper’s view of the selection.

Another intriguing prospect, Utah State running back Robert Turbin, stands out for different reasons. Eric Branch of The San Francisco chronicle shares the story of the Fremont native, who’s had to overcome unique circumstances to become a NFL Draft hopeful.

In other prospect news, Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee shares highlights of the recent pro days of Miami wide receiver Tommy Streeter and Wisconsin wideout Nick Toon. Streeter rested on his 4.45, 40-yard dash from the Scouting Combine; Toon improved his 40 time from 4.54 to 4.43.

And lastly, if you missed the latest in our “49 in 49” series, on Thursday we profiled Alabama running back Trent Richardson as we continued SEC Week.

If only reporters knew of Alex Smith’s recent whereabouts, they might have been able to get an exclusive interview with the 49ers quarterback scheduled to be a free agent on March 13.

Tags: ,

81 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: March 9”

1. By crowebar on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

I hope Alex Smith goes free-agent and some other team grabs him. We will be better without #11.

2. By rjdniner on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Only until it happens well we ever know ?????????

3. By Bravo! on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Crowebar man you have got to lay off of Alex. We are faithful to our team and stand behind them no matter what. If you dont like the 49ers then I suggest you start looking for a new team.

4. By Jeremiah on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

crowebar, you comment is as stupid as your name. please save us time and dont post. your an idiot. yes, we would be better with a unproven 2nd year qb compared to a guy who took us to a championship game, not. your an idiot

5. By sue on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

why dont haters like crowebar just move on with their life, us real 49er fans dont want downers like you around. we want loyal players like Alex.

6. By BigDaddyB on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

No. 11 needs to go we need a QB who can deliver the long ball accurately. We would have been in the bowl if he could hit a receiver dead open down field.. Wide open receiver an over hrows the guy by 5 yds. Anybody that thinks Smith is the answer offensively is nuts. This is Jeff Garcia in disguise. The long threat opens up the running game. You can stack 8 in the box and dare you to throw long. 1 for 13 on 3rd down in the championship game. Give me a break. One drive in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship game and we go to the the Super Bowl.

7. By BigDaddyB on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

I don’t here anybody talking about Matt Flynn from Green Bay, should be a priority on the Free Agent agenda. All that lets gone down with ship mentality is not going to get the team to a Super Bowl anytime soon. Smith proved is a good guy as back up but someone who is hungry enough to put big plays on the board don’t think so

8. By detroitniner on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Alex haters there wer 32 other guys out there in the champinship game
    why all the hate on alex when he is hog tied with the worthless reciever corps.

9. By 49erfaithful on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

alex smith has declined the current offer on the table from the 49 ers and will enter free agency march 13th reports comcastsportsnet bay area channel 696 directv

10. By 49erfaithful on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

So,smith will enter free agency looking for a long term contract as a starting qb on someone else’s team,I honsetly dont think anyone will sign him as the starter, so he comes back to us at much cheaper deal and saves at least 15 million in cap space allowing us to sign good veteran players being released,,,we need another good corner,,,re-sign carlos rogers who flourished in vangio’s 3-4 scheme,sign meacham,,,great run blocker and possesion wide-out,,and get a stud wr,,move up and draft justin blackmon of oklahoma state,,or some other veteran wr to help out,,and draft another qb somewhere in the late rounds,,,ya’ never know,,,a.k.a. tom brady

11. By looking for the10 year guy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

hey if we arent willing to give alex smith a long term deal why not throw a long term deal out to matt flynn,,but seriously,,,a team without a franchise qb,,you know,,the guy for the next 10 years,,,every year they should take a qb somewhere in the draft and hope to get their guy,,especially if you dont know whats on your roster,,,we really dont know if kaeperstink is any good,,need some good wide outs as well cuz josh morgan is hitting free agency and tampa gunna snatch him up,,ginn is a return guy,,and probably wont return,,so,,,we need alot of help at wr spot,,dont you think??

12. By jeromy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

because he is paid large amounts of $ to b e the LEADER, the rest of the team went above & beyond what most defenses do, get him off this team, & his follwers(his three cousins) can go with him, this is the 49ers site, we are winners & expect to win
    haha he goes to free agency just like i have been telling you all. now the other teams will not even show interest in him as a backup, just like i have been telling you all, i should start a fortune teller service????

13. By jeromy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Tony Dungy; San Francisco, I look at what they did and whether they’ve made that commitment to Alex Smith yet, I don’t know,” Dungy told NFL Network on Wednesday. “I don’t know where they stand, but that’s a team that’s got great defense, it has some young receivers, a very good tight end and a good back … you put Peyton Manning in that offense and people are going to be scared to play them

14. By DJWW on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

All this QB and WR stuff is OK but we should trade up and get RG Dontari Poe. True he has not played Guard before but with Iupati at LG and Poe pulling from the right we could really run some sweeps. :-)

15. By Texgun19 on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

@49erfaithful, I hope you are right about Alex Smith entering Free Agency. Hopefully, he will sign with another team or come back at a very low rate as a backup. In the emeatime, the 49ers need to go after Josh Johnson as their QB. He is a student and knows Harbaugh’s Offense. This is a sleeper who will blossom with the 49ers.

16. By Bravo! on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

I hope that the 49ers can resign Alex Smith because he finally stepping up his game. Harbaugh has done an awesome job with him and he can only get better.

17. By Mountain Jack on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

If stepping up his game includes going 1 for 13 on 3rd down in the most important game of his career AND having Delanie Walker wide open on the first play of the NFC championship and freezing up and not throwing the ball, then I never want to see this choke artist in a 49er uniform again. Alex did not take us to the brink of the Super Bowl. It was an outstanding defense and special teams. Alex only held us back. He’s a choke artist and proved it when we needed him most. Let Seattle have him and we’re guaranteed two wins every season he is there.

18. By seven years with Alex on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Wow finally some real 9er fans that want to wuport winners and it starts at QB with no real skill set alex was doomed from the start. So sorry for the organization that they had to spend over 100 million dollars to find out ..lets get past these ugly years and look forward. thank you mountain jack and jeromy and others for seeing the truth and not wishing for unicorns and rainbows to help us win a superbowl. Oh and yeah alex will only be able to start for the niners because every other team knows how crappy he is and have all ready game planned how to stop him with simple zone coverage. Yes i wuill sit and watch any other QB work our team and as long as there is obvious skill and improvement i will wait 2-3 more years but not for the bust alex he has no game and will not better the team only harm it.

19. By true faith49 on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

yall aint true fans alex won our only playoff game in ten years defense gave up crazy points and he responded in a way no other qb would 4 count em 4 tds in the saints game off alex shoulders yall sound stupid hatin on him no off season and he still shined in his best season ever who knows what he could have done if morgan didnt get hurt thats an extra 75 to 100 yrds gone from the offense get real hopin for a quick fix u will never get it hope for peyton u posers and kill yourself and take kyle with u

20. By true faith49 on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

yall should be great full and appreciate the good season and be optimistic bout next year is the year the foundation is in place now. so ungrateful we could have finished 6-10 again but 14-4 isnt good enough for u unrealistic doubters were u saying all this bad stuff bout him when he lead us in all those 4th qrt comebacks only eli had more thats a winner in my book. u should be bashing williams he lost it for us alex threw 2 tds in that game if yall dont remember we had 17 points one field goal he did what he could on a rainy day against a great defense and he was robbed of his chance to win for us like he did in the saints game. fake niner fans kill me

21. By true faith49 on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

sound so dumb complaining and it was a winning season alex threw 12 more tds than ints with no #1 wr and davis gettin doubled all daytalkin bad bout him like u can do better yall sound like all those analyst saying we were gonna in the hunt for luck with alex at the helm made everyone eat thier words just cuz we didnt win the super bowl dosent justify the bashing. he wasnt even supposed to have a chance yall remember that but we had hope and he was a big part of it wether u like it or not.

22. By cliq-claq on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

i hear everybody talkin bout alex….peyton… about v.jackson,m.wallace…..but what i dont hear is the importance of ted ginn……have you forgotten the field position we had all season….are we forgetting what happened when we didnt have him (N.F.C. CHAMPIONSHIP)…..i agree … i would like to see CK learn from peyton…what could he learn from alex? but it is what it is

23. By true faith49 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

he can learn some resiliance and determination peyton wont teach him nothing but impatience he tryin to win not teach! otherwise he would still be in indy peyton wont teach till he ends up a off. cord. and peyton wont make it a full season with out a good line as many time s as alex got sacked it would have been doubled if wernt for his legs escaping. we need to address the right side of the o line. davis alrigth but he needs help, chilo and snyder arent goin to work. ginn cant stay healthy williams will end up being the man at returns if we dont get a fresh one in the draft which they probably will need wr too in a big way

24. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

All right, first off I’m loving this Blog. A good oppurtunity to here what other 49ers fans are thinking. Im not suprised that fans are excited about Alex Smith now, nor does it suprise me that fans are still skeptical of him either. in response to Bravo – your comment “he can only get better” I do not agree at all. This will be his 8th season and next season will require him to be much better now that team have the hole off season to study him and what he was doing right last season. The main thing that Alex improved was his patience and of course the coaching scheem. I felt like our defence gave Alex all the oppurtuinity to stay in the close games that we won. I don’t think that next season will work out the same. We no longer have the advantage of not being taken seriously. Teams know what we are about now. Our offence will need to score touchdowns early in games this season. I’m not convinced that Alex will be able to do that.

25. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Jeromy – I love that Tony Dungy is thinking the same way I am. I never knew that he held this opinion. This makes me feel like I have some quaility football knoledge. The fact that Peyton flew to Dever excites me. He’s looking for a team with cap space and a good defence. The first visit is rarely a free agent like Peyton’s, final choice. I still strongly believe that the 49ers are going to be a team that compete’s for Peyton’s services. Just because the 49ers have offered Alex Smith a contract does not mean that we are not considering Peyton Manning, there are many different ways this can playout. The media really pisses me off sometimes when they wright their speculating beleifs as facts.

26. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

DJWW – I like the idea of improving our O-line but I dont think trading up in the draft is the right move this season. There is way to much talent in the free agency market this offseason.

27. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Seven years with Alex – Sorry but your comment of our franchise spending over 100 million dollars on Alex Smith is dead wrong, just like it was on the 7th when you stated that our franchise has spent 80 million dollars on Alex Smith. His contract was restructured years ago.

28. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

BigDaddy – If Peyton is not an option for our franchise I love the idea of going after Matt Flynn. That was an amazing “Hey Look At Me, Tryout Performance” against the Lion who were playing for a playoff berth, with a good defence trying to get at him. A performance like that can not be overlooked when you are trying to solidify the QB postion.

29. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Cliq-Claq – I believe that Teddy G will be signed in the next couple of days.

So thats all I have to say today. But I feel I should finish with (If Alex is reading this, which I seriously doubt) If coach Harbaugh and Mr. Baalke believes in you and signs you for the money I know your looking for, then I’m in. You showed signs of greatness last season as you have before in your tenure as a 49er and I love your personality. Its clear the the locker from is routing for you as well. Its time for you to take that next step and start putting up the numbers that great QB’s can. I am fully aware that this is a team sport, but the QB position is the most important, it is my beleif that you will need to perform as u did in the New Orleans playoff game on a much more consistent basis before the football world gives you the credit great QB’s deserve.

30. By rjdniner on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I truly belive Manning is going to stay in the AFC ?

31. By Byron on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

The one thing the 49ers have needed is some sort of stability in coaches and players. We have a great team on all sides of the ball. I would like to see improvemant in the receivers (especially Crabtree. He kinda reminds me of Stokes) and the offensive line. Which I believe can happen with stability. Alex has proven he is a good quarter back. Now he needs to prove he is a great quarter back. I hope that they keep him arround

32. By seven years with Alex on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

WOW people really alex showed signs of greatness …really wow he is an average QB doing average things it has been so long since we had a real QB that you guys are dumbfounded when a QB throws a easy TD. The playoff TD’s were nothing but …he had nothing to lose …Saints game example their coach even addmitted that they should not have played man coverage to allow alex to throw the easy go’s to vernon to get us into scoreing positions. Then the slants were a wide open throw that any 3rd year QB shouldbe able to do …man greatness …what ever …greatness is beating the giants in the blahblah game for the right to the superbowl …he had several ….all game really to show us anything …and he showed us his check down throws and how to throw it in the dirt and how to get the ball blocked by a defenseive lineman …a linebacker …and even a safety …any QB in the NFL should know how to avoid those happenning over and over as well as 1st downs he had none till what last 3 minutes of the game wich netted nothing …thanks for the average QBing over the years Alex now get out we have some more superbowls to win we waited long enough and heard all the excuses over and over …you are not right for this team and sorry the staff thought you were and wasted everyones time and money to make it happen over and over man wasted years so many wasted years ……..

33. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner – I truly hope that your wrong lol. If your right, I think it will be Houston.

34. By TJ on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Payton Manning and Jim Harbough is not a good match. Jim is all about the team. Payton is about Payton. The two previous head coaches with the colts allowed payton to take over the team. When he got hurt the team collapsed. The reason the HC for the colts was fired because he had no clue how to be a head coach..he just thought Payton was going to live for ever and be healthy for ever. They failed to plan.
    JH will not allow that that’s why Payton to SF will not work.

Go TEAM!

35. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

TJ and everyone who shares your opinion. Where is the proof that Peyton Manning was allowed to take over his previous Teams. I’m sure Tony Dungy would disagree with you. Peyton Manning wants to win. Your comment about Peyton is about Peyton? How did you come to this opinion? Peyton Manning seems like a great person and a team player to me. I haven’t spent anytime in the dressing room with him but he’s a 4 time MVP. I dont think that would be possble if nobody wanted to play with him and he didn’t listen to his coaches. From listening to interviews and watching videos of both Jim Harbaugh and Peyton Manning, it is my opinion that both are of the same breed. There family men who love football. I dont see the two of them having a problem coexisting.

36. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

seven years with Alex – If you have been watching 49ers games from start to finish, 49ers seasons from start to finish, you would be able to understand that Alex Smith has shown signs of a GREAT QB. Understand that me saying that Alex has shown signs of greatness is light years away from me saying that he is a GREAT QB. So calm down pal, go take your meds or something. I’m all for the 49ers finding a better QB. You would know that if you read my whole post!

37. By Hussler21 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Got say its kind of frusterating that some of my post are posted right after I submit them, others are held onto for some reason. I know that the ones I dont see right away have been received, cause when I go to re-post them the blog tells me that I have already said that??? annoying!!

38. By rjdniner on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Previous teams ? If Alex was that typ of personalty then we wont have this problem . Alex in my opinion shouldnt be crying about that contract offer, BE A MAN AND PROVE TO EVERY BODY THAT HE CAN DO IT .

39. By rjdniner on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Yes he got use to the nfc championship with what we had …. to be continued.

40. By seven years with Alex on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

lol i think the colts planned it perfectley they now are set for another 14 years of bashing the league with one of the best QB’s in the game …yeah they played it right

41. By seven years with Alex on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

OMG he did not get us to anywhere the defense won 10 of those games as well as the special teams who went to the probowl …not alex if he was showing such (lol greatness) then you would figure he would have gotten the nod …dont shame yourself by saying anything with greatness in it …as per alex please …thank you

42. By E.E.R. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

What if he-(Alex Smith) went to Seattle? I don’t think that would be a good thing for us 49er fans.I think San Fran can’t afford P.Manning…but he does have a very quick read & release.

43. By jeromy on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

This is going to be an exciting week, alot of questions should be answered. its going to be nice to get this whole Alex thing behind us & start focusing on our next three superbowl wins(the next three years) GO NINERS!!!!!!!

44. By DYENNY on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

A BUNCH OF BAND WAGON JUMPERS BUMPING THEIR GUMS . ALEX WILL BE OUR Q.B. / 1 GOOD HIT PEYTON AND OUR SALARY CAP IS GONE . ALEX WENT 14-4 LAST YEAR . WE ARE FILLING IN THE BLANKS NOW TO WIN A SUPERBOWL.OUR WHOLE TEAM IS SIGNED .WHERE WERE U PEOPLE WHEN WE WERE 3-13 . MOST OF U HAVE ALOT TO SAY BUT COULDNT NAME OUR OFF. OR DEF. LINE WITHOUT A COMPUTER OR PRINTOUT IN FRONT OF YOU. LOL.GO NINERS. AND TO ALL U NINER HATERS WELL U CAN ALWAYS GO BUY YOU SOME 49ERS GEAR . MOST OF ALL U PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO TALK BAD ABOUT NINERS AFTER THIS LAST SEASON. YOU PEOPLE PROBABLY HAVE 3 TEAMS LOL. U CAN ONLY HAVE 1 IDIOTS

45. By Bravo! on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Im with you DYENNY. You’re abslolutely right.

46. By rjdniner on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Are you sure the whole team is signed . what was Alex deal worth and what did he get, anybody ?

47. By rjdniner on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

dyenny you said the whole team was signed . am i right

48. By jeromy on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

No Alex is not signed(not happy with offer) & if we are lucky he will not sign as anything other than a backup.
    wow what a move the rams just made!! if either the seahawks or cardinals pick up Manning, we are gonna have a very tough division next year, on top of our tough schedule, there is no way we can take any more chances on Alex(he is as good as he ever will be, and thats not good enough)

49. By jeromy on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

on the other hand, if we go balls out to get Manning & a couple of solid receivers, then it would be a walkthrough like last year

50. By Erroneus Tee on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I have been opposed to Alex Smith from day one. He really made some strides this year. That being said he is not a championship caliber qb. K williams really screwed up in the NFC championship game…but for me the blame lies mostly with the offense and A Smith. You cannot expect to win going 1 for 12 on 3rd downs. If you watch film on that game all of Smiths throws were to the sideline…you have to be able to complete balls in the middle of the field or your done. The coaching staff did not have enough confidence in Smith to even let him try to open the field up. The DEE stepped up in that game and Smith and his offense did not. Vernon davis is a G!!!!!!

51. By SHIP on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

You know…I get on here to catch up with my TEAM and I keep seeing Jeromy all over these blogs. Does this Douche ever do anything else? Wow…get a life. For someone who is on here as much as you are, you would think he would have picked up a few things about football. Go hate on another team & its players.

52. By Hussler21 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

DYENNY – A BUNCH OF BAND WAGON JUMPERS BUMPING THEIR GUMS???? Really, I don’t know where your getting that from. If you read any of my post you would realise that, that is insulting. Just because I don’t share the same opinion about Alex Smith as you, means i’m a banch wagon jumper?? That is a weird theroy. Alex didn’t go 14-4 last season, the 49ers did. Alex had his best season last year. One good season does not make up for the rest of his career. I like Alex Smith, I just think that we can do better. Trent Baalke has said on many occasions “We are always trying to improve our team”. PEYTON MANNING MAKES US BETTER!!!!

53. By Hussler21 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

DYENNY – Dont always believe was you hear on TV. LB’s and DE’s in the league have had the same surgury that Peyton had, and been fine for the rest of their carrer. Making sure you rehab properly is the most important factor here. Peyton who can afford the best medical attention money can buy, took a hole year and a half off to rehab. He will be the same MVP, Superbowl winner QB he was before his surguries, wether its with the 49ers or not.

54. By Hussler21 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner – When I said Previous teams I was talking about the Colts.
    New coach = new team. My point was that Peyton Manning was given control of the Colts by any of his head coaches.

55. By rjdniner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Iam filing a report to the bloge police for the misinformation that is always on this site SO BE WARE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

56. By rjdniner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Wre going to find out if he able to that with his new team .Thank s for the explantion , have a good laugh about my recent comment haha.

57. By jeromy on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

thought that SHIP sunk already? Alex is not wanted here, you are the minority not me, so why dont you leave?

58. By jeromy on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

SHIP=Surely He’ll Improve Probably

59. By Hussler21 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner – Wow sorry dude I keep on messing up. Its to early over hear. I meant “wasnt given control of the team by any coaches. I feel stupid.

60. By mwagner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

I would like to say that when Alex Smith was receiving a 1 million dollar bonus for winning the Saints game, he had fire in his eyes. Remember the same receivers? if you are a niner fan watch the games again. Lookk at Alex and his demeanor in both. If I was getting paid you would see more intensity and that is what we saw. On any of the days that Alex needed to make a money decision he played better. I was at both games. I have been watching that no talent as clown that gets lucky once or twice a season. I sit in the stands and feel nothing from or for the guy. He did nothing that our defence did not give him. Go away Alex please make someone else’s life a complete wreck and us rise again with someone we can continue to build with. thank you Singletary for the defense now Harbaugh finish the job and lets see this offense you inspire to make the 49ers team of the decade again.

61. By rstar21 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

You Alex haters… ummmm Bucs game? Philly game? Detroit game?? Saints game?? oh and everyone talks about the overthrown ball to williams… does anyone realize that he couldnt step into the throw to make it accurate due to the Dlineman who was in his face and hit him… Go back and see it… Oh and the reason YYYYYYYY we didnt make the superbowl bcuz of the terrible call on the Ahmad Bradshaw fumble that would have led to the 49ers scoring and not going into overtime at all… Funny no one mentions that… Re-sign Alex, Carlos, Teddy as returner, Snyder, and make a push to get Vincent Jackson…. then build through the draft… Give Alex another season under Jim and this offense and see what he does… He did the things he did last season with a limited offseason… Watch wat he does this season with a full offseason and more weapons… Mark my words… remember them

62. By mwagner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Rstar Alex did nothing his defense did not give him. In the saints game he was given the ball in scoring position 3 times. Just like the others. I don’t hate him just ready to move on to someone we can rely on.

63. By mwagner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Oh let me point out int more thing. we do not have the best scoring place kicker ever in one season cause we were scoring touchdowns. Or one of the best defenses ever. We have those to make up for the lack of something else. Not the running game. What else could there be?

64. By looking for the10 year guy on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

COMCAST SPORTSNET BAYAREA IS REPORTING THAT ALEX SMITH LEFT THE 49ERS SANTA CLARA FACILITY LATE SUNDAY MORNING FOR PERHAPS THE LAST TIME AS HE HAS ELECTED TO NOT SIGN HIS CURRENT OFFER WHICH HE WANTS MORE YEARS ADDED TO THE CURRENT DEAL AND WILL ENTER FREE AGENCY ON TUEDAY,,THE 49ERS COMMENTED THAT THEY HAVE WHAT THEY THINK IS A FAIR DEAL FOR ALEX ON THE TABLE AND WONT COMMIT TO ANY LONGER TERM DEAL,,,LIKELY SIGNALING THE END OF SMITH’S TENURE IN SAN FRANSISCO

65. By rjdniner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

rstar21 We could have had two interceptions also and because the collison between our def backs. PLEASE tell me why Alex has not signed the contract ?
    your take on the subject (fire away ) Iam all eyes .

66. By looking for the10 year guy on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

NO THE ENTIRE ROSTER FROM LAST YEAR HAS NOT BEEN SIGNED,,ADAM SNYDER,,CHILO RACHAL,,CARLOS ROGERS,,ALEX SMITH,,AND OTHERS ARE STILL AWAITNG CONTRACT OFFERS,,BUT,,WITH THE SIGNING OF CHRIS CULLIVER TO A 3 YEAR DEAL,,IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THE 49ERS ARE GOING TO GIVE CARLOS ROGERS A CONTRACT OFFER LIKE THE KIND HE IS LOOKING FOR,,WE HAVE 40 MILLION IN CAP SPACE AND ARENT GOING TO BE SIGNING ANY HIGH VALUE FREE AGENTS,,MAYBE RANDY MOSS WHO WILL BE WORKING OUT FOR THE 49ERS ON MONDAY AFTER WOWING COACHES AND SCOUTS AT A WORK OUT IN NEW ORLEANS,,MOSS RAN CRISP SLAT AND GO ROUTES,,ONE THING OF NOTE HOWEVER WAS THE FACT THAT MOSS NEVER LIKED GOING ACCROSS THE MIDDLE BUT HAS SAID HE HIS WILLING TO,,,”GET BROKE OFF SOME”,,IN ORDER TO WIN A SUPER BOWL,,A NEW SUBJECT FOR ALL OF US TO ARGUE,,,ER,, DEBATE ABOUT

67. By 49ER FAITHFUL on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

LOUSY SERVERS ON THIS BLOG PAGE,,,MY LAST 3 POSTS DO NOT APPEAR AND MY PREVIOUS POSTS HAVE VANISHED

68. By mwagner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

I will tell you why Alex has not signed. Peyton Manning!!!! They have the same manager. That guy is going to make a killing off of Peyton. If Alex signs first could chop out a few million from this guys bonus. Then it means Alex can say “Who has it better than me?” He will ask for more money the day Peyton signs his contract. Then the manager makes more in commission. Ha

69. By Kyle on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Balke, I live out in Connecticut and have been a die hard Niners fan since Nintendo introduced tecmo bowl back in the day, lol. I would fly out to SF and support the local economy, buy tickets, etc. many times if you could put a 2 or 3 year deal on the table for Randy Moss and snag wallace in Free Agency.

70. By DYENNY on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

HUSSLER 21 NOT REALLY TALKING ABOUT U AS A BANDWAGON JUMPER. MOST OF THESE PEOPLE TALK OUT THEIR BACK SIDE . YES MANNING MAKES US BETTER BUT PRICE IS NOT RIGHT . AND WHEN I SAY THE WHOLE TEAM IS SIGHNED I MEAN THE EVERY WEEK STARTERS OUR TEAM IS DEEPER THAN EVER THE REST OF THE PEOPLE WE SIGN IS EXTRA SRTENGTH . ALEX WILL HAVE THE SAME OFF. CORD. FOR A CHANGE WHICH WILL OPEN THE OFF. UP…WE HAVE THE BEST LINEBACKING CORE IN THE NFL.GO NINERS WE HAVE WORKED TO GET HERE 4 10 YEARS LETS ENJOY THE DRAFT CANT WAIT.THE DRAFT IS GRAVY JUST MAKES US EVEN YOUNGER AND GIVES THEM TIME TO LEARN

71. By SHIP on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Jeromy..you are soo witty with that Ship sunk comment. Incredibly witty. So because I don’t spend my whole life on these blogs every minute and day of the week instead of living life, you take that like you done told me…mmmm. Interesting irony on who the one who has actually sunk in life. HAHAHA. You are truly a LOSER and with ALL THE TIME you are on here one would think you would pick up a thing or two about football. Also, loser I don’t judge right or wrong on whether I am a majority or minority…only losers to that.

72. By 49ER FAITHFUL on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

COMCAST SPORTSNET BAY AREA IS REPORTING ALEX WILL NOT SIGH HIS CONTRACT OFFER AND ENTER FREE AGENCY

73. By mwagner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Have I posted a thing today

74. By jeromy on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

brother man attack me all you want, truth is that Alex is not the best guy for the job, you can talk all day long & that still will not change. We will know after this week, then if you still want to support Alex you can follow him to whichever CFL team he lands at

75. By rjdniner on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

What is the time table on f/a if a player refuses to signe . If Alex does not signe what are the niners options .Do we release hime or he playes at leaser pay . If we were to play( that certin somebody hell be running for his ).

76. By alvas6 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Alex has gone thru so much bs and yet he has always been loyal to the 49ers. Most fans don’t know what goes on behind the doors of an organization. The boy has been bounce around coordinators; coaches, and was thrown in with the sharks his rookie year. Signing Harbaugh was the best thing for Alex a coach with playing experience as a quarterback and coordinator who knows how to utilize Alex’s skills. This is almost the same team singletary had, however we can see the results were not the same. Ever heard the cliche “if it aint broke don’t try to fix it.”

77. By Ryan on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

rjd… he didnt sign bcuz he wants to be with the team for a long time… this team has a good winning chemistry… you see its about length not money.

78. By rjdniner on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I totaly understand , If its not about the money then…….then he should sign .get us to the ( big dance) then he wont have to worry about leaving . tears of joy just thinking about were this team is headed .

79. By rstar21 on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

mwag… so u dont think that Alex not turning the ball over didnt help the defense?? or how about not having a legitimate red zone threat besides VD?? Braylon was CONSTANTLY hurt… you bring in a healthy VJax or RM… Even Josh M…. points increase 110%… remember 49ers offense was ranked high in Redzone appearances but ranked last in redzone TDs… 8 in the box cancels Gore… double VD no one else gets open… cant ALWAYS put it on Alex… he made sound decisions last yr, only 7 turnovers for the whole season… 0 in the playoffs… Im proud of da 49ers as a whole and our D is gonna be the best for years to come and some… but to say Alex is at fault for the things that went wrong is just wrong…

80. By rjdniner on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

There looking at some one in FA, Who that is well find out soon .Belive me i want him to stay . If they decide to sign MOSS it should be for the low pay, what would it be, any body know ?

81. By rstar21 on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

look 49er faithful… 49ers offense last yr was in the top 10 in getting into the redzone but ranked 30th in rezone td percentage… thats no josh morgan… kyle william 5’10 not a big threat… VD doubled every play… 8 in the box Gore’s accounted for… Now imagine… VJax 6’5… YOU HAVE to double him in the redzone… that take one less man out of the box if they decide to double VD LB/SS method… and Crab can win some one on ones… oh… Delanie Walker will draw attention as well which would leave running lanes for Gore which would initially set up the play-action to VD, VJax and MC… and if Josh comes back more threats in the redzones… Right now Alex is the best man for the job in SF he knows the playbook and doesnt have to learn a new one… get the man weapons to work with and watch what he can finally do… told you mark my words… Im a 49er faithful through and through and overall huge football fan not just speaking nonsense…