Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 26

Posted by Taylor Price on December 26, 2011 – 2:37 PM

Frank Gore chilled at the Warriors game Christmas night. Jim Harbaugh spent the day with his family, including his wife, four children and father Jack.

All was well for the 49ers it seemed on Sunday, one day after they eliminated the Seattle Seahawks from postseason contention with a scrappy 19-17 win in the Pacific Northwest.

Two days removed from the quality win, the 49ers all-time leader rusher and head coach remained pleased with a gritty performance on the road.

Gore compared the win to a must-win game in the playoffs. The 49ers needed to win to keep control of the NFC’s No. 2 seed, and just like teams need wins to advance in the postseason, the 49ers got it done in a fiercely contested game.

“It’s like the playoffs,” Gore began, “if you want to go to the next round you have to win. We’ve played two good teams in six days and we want the No. 2 seed. We beat a good team in Pittsburgh and a good team in Seattle, that shows as a team we’re going in the right place.”

Harbaugh saw his players find a way to win in trying circumstances, a sign of a battle-tested team.

“They didn’t flinch,” Harbaugh said in his press conference. “It reminded me of games in Detroit and Philadelphia… You find a way to win.”

Michael Crabtree’s 41-yard catch which set up David Akers’ 39-yard field goal, followed by a forced fumble by linebacker Larry Grant on Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, all but ensured a memorable holiday memory.

“In a lot of ways, Crab saved Christmas,” Harbaugh said. “Thought Larry Grant did as well. David Akers – in that mix. Made it a lot merrier.”

The resolve shown by the 49ers in the fourth quarter wasn’t a surprise to Gore or the head coach.

“We just know we’re a good team,” said Gore, who finished the game with 83 hard-fought yards and a 4-yard touchdown on the ground. “We don’t panic. We don’t panic at all.”

The 49ers are in the driver’s seat for the NFC’s No. 2 seed. A win by the Atlanta Falcons over the New Orleans Saints would clinch a first-round bye for the 49ers in the playoffs. If the Falcons lose, the 49ers would need a win in St. Louis to assure themselves of the No. 2 seed.

Harbaugh, like Gore, said he’ll be watching the primetime game, but won’t let the outcome change his approach to the 49ers season finale in St. Louis.

“I’ve always learned to hope for the best and expect the worst,” said Harbaugh, who will prepare to beat the Rams regardless of Monday’s outcome.

Gore will be tuned in to the NFC South showdown which has first place in the division on the line.

“I always watch the Monday night game,” Gore said, “but you know, I’m going for Atlanta right now. “

Gore also doesn’t see the outcome changing his team’s mindset as San Francisco heads into the postseason for the first time since 2002.

“I’m going in feeling really good,” Gore said of his mentality entering his first playoff appearance in his seven-year career. “I’m ready to play. If New Orleans doesn’t lose, we’ll go down to St. Louis and try to get a win and lock up the second seed and get that bye week.”

Notes and Quotes

According to Harbaugh, tight end Delanie Walker’s status for the remainder of the year is not known. Walker, who suffered a jaw injury against the Seahawks, will be evaluated closely over the next 7-10 days for the 49ers to see if he’ll be available again in the playoffs. “He’s going to be out for a period of time,” Harbaugh said.

As for the possibility of bringing in an outside player to fill in for Walker or Kyle Williams, who suffered a head injury on Saturday, Harbaugh didn’t shoot down the notion that a free agent could hypothetically come in and help a team win playoff games. “I don’t think that’s unrealistic,” said the 49ers coach, who added that the 49ers will wait see on Williams’ status for St. Louis. “Kyle’s a tough kid. It’s all in the hands of the doctors and Kyle.”

Pro Bowl rosters will be announced on Tuesday. Harbaugh is hopeful 9-11 of his players make the NFC squad.

Joshua Morgan was seen around team headquarters on Monday and was also in Seattle this weekend, joining his teammates on the road for the first time since he was place on the Injured Reserve list. Harbaugh said he enjoyed having Morgan around the team. “Everyone enjoys his company.”

Tags: , , , ,

59 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 26”

1. By Dee Holcomb on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Have been a true niner fan since the days when John Brodie was our quarterback. I can’t tell you what this year has meant to me. It’s so nice to be excited and looking forward to forty-niner football again. Thanks Jim Hardbaugh for turing our team around..Love the Niners.

2. By Ron Garcia on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad to see Morgan up and about. I was right behind you guys in Seattle, it was an awesome game. Hope Walker and Williams are okay and well enough to play in the playoffs. I know you still have a game left, but I’m sure the guys are up for it. Can’t wait to see who you get first in the playoffs. GO 49ers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By JR BACA, NEW MEXICO SAN FRANCISCO 49ER on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

IT’S GREAT TO HEAR THAT MORGAN IS GETTING BETTER, I PRAY THAT WILLIAMS AND WALKER GET HEALED FAST, EVEN-THOUGH IT WOULD BE COOL TO SIGN RANDY MOSS!

GO 49ERS>>>>>>>

4. By Harry Peterson on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I hope we get Delanie back for the playoffs. I think Williams is the secret weapon we need him back soon. I think we can survive with present players and a few practice squad additions.I also think we need to give Edwards the boot.

5. By Dave on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Would much rather have TO. Better blocker and say what you want about him, he comes to play football on every down…unlike Moss!

6. By NinerFanFromTonga on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Jr Baca…..I hear you. I hope Morgan, Williams, and Walker gets well soon, if they are able to help us out in the playoffs, good, if not, it’s more important for them to get well and be good for their career next year. I am liking the posibilities of hiring a capable gun for the playoff run, and Randy Moss just happens to be available…TO is probably a stretch, but they can come in and automatically put fear into the psychy of the secondaries. I hope they are fit and ready if we give them the call……….gooooooooooo Niners

7. By OG on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a wild idea. He’s still in great shape, has said that he’d be able and willing if he gets the call. He knows the west coast system, would provide unparalleled veteran experience. And he is without equal in postseason experience. Yes I’m talking bout bringing in the GOAT, Jerry Rice!

8. By Basil on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

last I saw Moss said he was very happy playing golf, but it not Moss TO is looking for a Team, I’m sure our coaches could handle TO for 3 games! We do need some help at WR somebody that can get downfield and then catch the ball when he does get there!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS

9. By GCODE on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

What do you think about Aldon Smith becoming the third Tight End? Aldon has a great motor in bull rushing an offensive line men that could convert to blocking. Aldon Smith has great hands when he caught an interception in college against University of Oklahoma. Aldon Smith looks like he is built for a Tight End reminds me of Marcedes Lewis from the Jacksonville Jaguars. What are your thought about Aldon Smith as the third Tight End?

10. By mordorpucker on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Jerry Rice has more gas in his tank than t.o. and moss combined

11. By rjdniner on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Hopfuly the score is good enough at the Rams to let the back ups play at lest afull quarter .

12. By mitch on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I think they need to try to get everyone healthy and everyone should play against the Rams you cant take them lightly.Look what happen with Arizona.Ok rest Patrick willis only exception.

13. By Rick in Round Rock on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I feel the same way need to go into the playoffs HOT …. Cant take no one lightly Alex need to throw , throw, throw, throw to get ready to move the ball in the Big Dance.
    Lets get healthy Williams ,Patrick and Walker we pray that you injuries are not serious. Get well soon guys. The good thing is that we play as a TEAM and the guys that have been covering have been stepping up like expected. Keep it up guys.
    Go Niners 👊

14. By seven years in S.F. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

T.O really wow you want another johney come never on the team please ..randy moos will just bog us down call up deion lol we need some speed hey is art monk still alive cal him up ….cris carter looks good ….and no matter who you bring in it wont fix the 7yr bust ..get ready for a close game again with no good throws in first half and one drive in the second form 7yrs same old rams ….oops lol same old alex sorry ….forgot about him allready

15. By seven years in S.F. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

all kidding aside saints won and greenbay clinched we have to win and must do it well but no blowout dont want willy.p.soft to grab em at playoffs

16. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Hope Williams,Walker,Willis and Morgan get betta! Proud to be a NINER FAN!!!! Got a JERRY RICE FATHEAD from SANTA!!!!! GO NINERS!!!!!! Make the NFL believe!!!!

17. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Want to share this post from NFL.com: jmac21012,…. You are on the money!! Arron Rodgers will not be the same factor if the Niners play Packers in NFC Championship because Alex will control game by the run game thus eating up the clock and keeping Arron off field. When Arron goes on field he will have a tough time, like in the KC game. Why the Niners and not the Lions? ” Harbaugh has a much firmer handshake than Schwartz. Why the Niners not the Saints,..because the Brees was not blowing, the Reggie Bush was not running in San Francisco last year in the Monday Night game, and the Niners are much better this year (compare records). jmac the fans of other teams do not see this, understandable but the NFL commentators are merely Cheerleaders rooting for a different team every week, see Romo, Tebow, Brees and Rodgers in time it will be the SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS!!!!!!!

18. By matt23 on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

To hell with Moss and TO – we already have 1 prima donna at WR who has contributed nothing this year (B.E.) – how about just “next man up” – I figured Morgan was gone for year – hopefully Kyle will be back by 2nd round (our 1st round!) and thankfully we have Peele signed for Delanie – God I hope he’s OK – we need you Delanie!!! Hope to see #52 out there this weekend in St Louis too…miss you bad PW although Larry has bee great fill in! Go Niners!!!!

19. By DMT on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Is there any chance Josh Morgan can make the playoff roster, in place of that loser Edwards?

20. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

We should rest the injured. Play CK 4th Q?

21. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

WOW 49ers Waive Braylon Edwards
    “”I was released today by the 49ers due to my injury that required more time to rehab and hasn’t allowed me to re-sync with the offense. I wish the 49ers organization the best of luck during the Playoffs. I will be working hard this off season to strengthen my knee and prepare for the 2012 season. Thanks for your continued support and for being such loyal fans.”

maybe TO’s not such a bad idea ?

ttp://bleacherreport.com/tb/bcNa5

22. By Ron Garcia on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I’d rather see the NINERS lose, than sign that drama queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

23. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

rather see our Niners loss, go back to oakland!

24. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I understand we wont sign TO, but hey this guy doesn’t use drugs, and he’s a clean player, his problem is he’s immature very immature.
    But this is our moment of truth and we’re hurting, I understand that all teams have players hurt, but we wern’t that strong at WR too begin with and now (after cutting Edwards) yeah he wasn’t much help but there was a chance that he could come around? GB and the Saints can score from anyplace on the field, and that has been the question about the 9ers can we play catch up from 2-3 TD’s down.
    Crab has is having a breakout season, Ginn just doesn’t have WR hands, he’s a real good returner but not a WR. I’m hoping that coach has something in the works, I mean if all we can do is throw to Crab, or run Gore or Walker. How’s are we gonna be stronger in the red zone, so many question so few answers.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

25. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

TO “Thumbs up” or “Thumbs down”?

26. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

MOSS “Thumbs up” or “Thumbs down”?

27. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

SWAIN “Thumbs up” or “Thumbs down”?

28. By Tarcules on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

SOPOAGA “Thumbs up” or “Thumbs down”?

29. By egastelum on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Dont sign T.O dont Sign RM…These guys are a disruption, they will ony bring down the positive energy we have going…Dont think for one second that Trent Balke doesnt already know how we are going to move forward…They released Edwards to free a spot for a new reciever….They will sign the best player that will help us continue to win long term…We will do fine with the guys we have, Kyle and delanie will be ok and until there ready then its the next man up, just like grant filling in for willis….Go niners let get those Rams!!!

30. By Ron Garcia on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I think the NINERS have enough to worry about, getting players healthy and signing someone that isn’t going to bring to whole cast of OMG to practices and games, he’s nothing but a pain and I think Coach Harbaugh and the Owners see it that way, I do anyway, he had his chance

31. By Dabooko on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

What is wrong with you people Randy Moss yes he was great but over the hill T.O. as well they where good its time for the young guns not to mention they are both head cases. We need better Q.B. play in the red zone the kicker should not be the highest scorer on the team that is ridiculous not for a playoff team ridiculous

32. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Ron I sure you didn’t mean that “rather see them lose” but I’m thinking about the team and how hard they’ve worked to get where they are. We need offensive help and after cutting Edwards coach has to have a plan, if not that was just a dumb move. You know what GB and or the Saints can on offense? Who’s Alex gonna throw the ball too, the Crab and ?? not Ginn the guy can’t catch!
    If its all about the team as coach says, then why not let the players vote on it? Walsh did as much when a player was in question!

33. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

The team has worked too hard to get where they are, too let it slip threw their fingers. We are a really good team, but why the red zone
    failures worse in the nfl thats crap, we get in the tone red zone and its Run Run Run, but against the gulls we pull that fake TD. Why not more of that those?
    We looked bad offensively against the gulls then we start the second half and Alex drives us right down the field, why don’t we do that more ? ? ? In many ways I think we are a better team then we’re showing on offense, but now we cut Edwards, I know he wasn’t doing a lot But ?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!
    coach must have something planed ?

34. By rjdniner on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Its starting to look like Alex might not be picked for the PRO BOWL, with what he has done and been thourgh i hope like heck he gets in,/ HES EARNED IT /

35. By rjdniner on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

BASIL Ive never heard that about WALSH.

36. By ryan fonseca on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

terrel owens time again in san fran, bring him back he will be a great addition to our offense and will lead us to the superbowl and just be one more threat deep down field and in the middle for other teams, its time we bring him back to san fransisco. go niners and welcome home t.o

37. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Brain cells running dry but I will get back on that, as I recall it was ‘a’ player, I don’t think it was Hollywood Henderson ? And it may not have been a vote as much as a team discussion and they said okay! This was at a time when Eddy was signing a lot of free agents. I’m gonna have to dig on this!

38. By rjdniner on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

BASIL PLEASE DO THANKS
    Its pro bowl selection time

39. By Wendy Nguyen on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

This season, the SF 49ers have been impressing me. I was at the Christmas Eve game between the SF 49ers and Seattle Seahawks. There were lots of “smack” talks from the Seahawk fans about the 49ers, but I kept my faith for my team throughout the game. In the end, I walked out of the stadium knowing that the 49ers dynasty is coming back. Go 49ers nation! I cheered for the players as Frank Gore made the touch-down as well. Hehehe. It was nice to have the 49ers facing me when the touch-down happened. :0)

40. By rjdniner on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

8 PRO BOWLERS , THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE OUTSTANDING
    LEADERSHIP IN THE 49ERS ORG
    CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL .

41. By Basil on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Wow that is so cool thanks for sharing the news!
    Frank Gore,
    Joe Staley,
    Justin Smith,
    Patrick Willis,
    Carlos Rogers,
    Dashon Goldson,
    Andy Lee,
    David Akers,

42. By missouri 9er on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

CONGRADULATIONS to all the Pro Bowl starters and alternate 49ers players (personally thought a few more of our guys should have gone) ! The whole team has really stepped up this year and i know i speak for alot of the 49er faithful who appreciate the effort and the exciting games!! I can’t wait to see the team play in St. Louis this weekend! GO NINERS kick those Rams and take that #2 SEED!!!!!!!!!!

43. By E.RIB'S on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Let’s all put a shout out to favorite son Ronnie Lott to please stay out of New Orleans Locker room if its the saints the NINERS have to take on in the playoffs.Besides a real friend-(sean payton) wouldn’t ask him to.A real friend-(Tom Rathman) whom you carried off the field on your back after every hundred yard game would appreciate…So… CMON MAN! How about it?

44. By ChickenFriedRice on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Who are some available wide receivers to replace Edwards?

I say Terrell Owens. He’s a perfect fit. Why? Because Alex loves to throw out of the pocket. Short routes. T.O. specialty is YAC (yards after catch). Smith’s tendency to scramble allows T.O. to free himself in zones will help Crabtree get loose on the outside.

45. By v j narayan on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

FOR THE EXTRA HELP AT THE OFFENCE JIM HABAUGH SHOULD GIVE T.O. A CALL AND GET HIM IN THE MIX SINCE HE PLAYED WITH THE 49ERS. I THINK HE WIL BE A GREAT FIT . HES WORKING ON HIS AND WAITNG FOR A CALL . RIGHT NOW HE IS NUNGRY AS A LION. KEEP HIM ON ONE SIDE AND CRAB TREE ON THE OTHER SIDE. HE COULD GET DOUBLE COVERAGE AND LEAVES CRAB AND VERMON DAVIS OPEN.COACH WE NEED AN EXTRA HELP FOR PLAY OFFS. T.O. OR RANDY MOSS ARE GOOD THREA TO OTHER TEAMS.
    49ER FAITHFUL

46. By matt23 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Go all the way back to August when I warned you guys BE was NOTHING BUT A PRIMA DONNA!!! He got what he deserved: the exit sign! To hell with TO (traitor) and Moss – the 3 of them together are the 3 Prima DFonna WR stooges – I say next man up – don’t ruin the chemistry of this team!

Whatever happened to a certain #18 who used to be mainly on the practice squad as a WR and always looked good when he got his limited chances/in practice/exhibitions???

47. By rjdniner on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

MATT 23 Are you refering to JOHN TALOR S nephew

48. By Tarcules on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Alex will be in probowl next year if he wins a SUPERBOWL!!! Go Niners!!!!!1

49. By Tarcules on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I think we stacked the defensive side of the ball (good thing) but a little light on receivers and Jim will adjust, looking for a Winning record for a long time!

50. By Ron Garcia on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

the X-Mas Eve game was awesome, I was right behind the 9ers. I can’t believe all the 9er faithful that were there, great game and Fan Base. Kick some lamb butt and relax a little before the first playoff game… GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. By Patrick on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

We already had T.O I do not want him again you leave the niners you dead to us

52. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

We’ve come far playing with a weak WR core with the loss of Josh, putting Alex in a hard spot just having TO on the field helps Alex, Gore, Crab, the O`line! So as far as our team has come it just would makes sense to add a talent at WR, do so many feel that TO could destroy our team in 3 games. The isn’t team isn’t built out of cards its strong to the core, so I feel that we should give our guys ever chance to win? I don’t think we can just keep running up the middle in the red zone, as much as other teams would like us to do that.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

53. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

rjd, I do think it was Hollywood that Bill asked the team about? I can’t back it up. I will keep looking though.

But my point is, that if there is a chance to sign a player that the team could really use, then we have to give it a lot of thought. We don’t want to cut our nose to spite our face, so maybe there should be a whole team (coaches & players) meeting. And who knows maybe there was? but iif we do have a weakness its at WR IMHO

54. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

PS: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

55. By grateful49 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Was a big fan of T.O. when was with the niners, did not like the way he left and some of the comments that were made by him, BUT i will never forget the catch against green bay, and best of all when he ran to the dallas star after a td, yea i think he deserves another chance just for those 2, 49er Faithful we just need to win… Go Niners!! Congrats Pro Bowlers

56. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Just win baby! Just win!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

57. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I need to say this again Nolan didn’t know what to do with Talent,
    But he sure the hell could see it. And for that I say Thanks!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

58. By Basil on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

You Suck go back to Seattle punk!

59. By rjdniner on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply