New Santa Clara Stadium Update

Posted by Scott Kegley on December 3, 2011 – 8:22 PM

In a move that signals a major step toward “putting shovels in the ground” for a new stadium, the San Francisco 49ers will brief the Santa Clara Stadium Authority Tuesday on terms of a $850 million construction loan that could take the new Santa Clara Stadium from concept to reality.  The financing commitment was secured through a financial group that includes Goldman Sachs as well as Bank of America and U.S. Bank.

“This is an important milestone regarding the new stadium for the 49ers,” said 49ers President and CEO Jed York.  “The Santa Clara Stadium Authority and the 49ers have been working tirelessly to secure this construction loan for the new stadium.  We still have to tackle some logistical and contractual challenges ahead, but this is an important step to putting shovels in the ground.”

The $850 million will be loaned to the Stadium Authority and the 49ers Stadium Development Company, and, as required by the recent ballot measure, will have no impact on the City’s General Fund.  Revenues from the purchase of naming rights, Stadium Builders Licenses (SBLs), suites and additional sources will be used to repay the loan.

“It’s extraordinary news, especially in this economy,” said York.  “The lenders have confidence in the project, and they are especially impressed with the success we have had in early suite sales.”

The financing commitment will be presented to the Stadium Authority Board next week. At the same time, the board will consider approval of the formal Development Agreement for the project.  The Development Agreement includes an outline of the 40- year lease for the property. It calls for the 49ers to pay approximately $30 million in facility rent annually.

The new stadium in Santa Clara is estimated to cost approximately $1 billion. Officials expect it to be a landmark for Silicon Valley in addition to its role as the new home to the San Francisco 49ers.  The 1.85 million square foot facility will seat 68,500 and feature 165 luxury suites and 9,000 club seats.  It will be designed with multi-purpose flexibility to host a wide range of events including, domestic and international soccer, motocross, concerts and various civic events, and is expandable for major events such as the Super Bowl.  For more information, go to www.newsantaclarastadium.com.

45 Responses to “New Santa Clara Stadium Update”

1. By William Ames on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

As a season ticket holder I’m excited to purchase my tickets at the new stadium and I hope that Bart will reach the new stadium for ease of getting their. Also that they planning will include larger parking stalls for tailgating. I know the 49ers are on the right track with Jim Harbaugh and the new stadium!

2. By mordorpucker on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

3. By jj on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

They should give one ticket to ten fans around the us (right here in Lubbock TX ) Me Me Me For all of those events that opening year and doc it How cool would that be?

4. By smuman on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I am glad my 49ers are getting a new home. BUT I still say the best place would have been the polo fields in GG Park!

5. By sam on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

In my opinion the niners belong in the city. They’re called the San Francisco Fourty Niners, not Santa Clara.

6. By Michael Gibson on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I am a long time season ticket holder but I do not believe they should be called the “San Francisco 49ers”. Bay Area 49ers or something but they have left San Francisco.

7. By Nick Tirapelle on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I am very excited about a new stadium of our 49ERS, but if SBL’s mean we our paying for the rights to our seats just to appease Santa Clara, then I state that either they want the 49ERS or not. Why would the fans need to carry any burden of financing in this terrible economy. Tickets and food and parking and fuel are enough to contribute each game.
    Nick Tirapelle
    season ticket holder since 1981

8. By rjdniner on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

GLADE TO SE IT FINLY GETTING STARTED.
    NEW STADIUM AND A SUPER BOWL #6
    I DO BELIVE WE ALL AGREE ON THAT ,

9. By Robert Peacock on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers should NEVER leave SF. It will be a mistake that they always regret. SF should never let them leave, build them a stadium, or it will be a mistake that they always regret.

10. By John Pivirotto on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

“Revenues from the purchase of naming rights, Stadium Builders Licenses (SBLs), suites and additional sources will be used to repay the loan.”

Could you be more specific? What does this mean for Season Ticket holders?

11. By Mrs. SF 9er on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I can’t see why the 9ers can’t borrow Oakland’s stadium while a new stadium is being built in Candlestick. Moving to Santa Clara is ridiculous!! Outrage!!!

12. By stephen on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

What will be the new name for the 49ers, the Silicone Valley Chips!

13. By bob on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

i still think they shouldnt move….i felt the same way when the yankees moved…how can you turn your back on all your history,i love candlestick, i love the history,you can still feel the presence of montana and rice

14. By bob on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

the new stadium is gonna be so cold

15. By bob on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

and soul less

16. By Jeff on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

what a waste of money! someone explain to me why nearly broke governments are spending money on football stadiums. The teams should take full responsibility for the entire cost of constructing these white elephants.

17. By Steven G on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if the Forty Niners will charge season ticket holders a PSL? Hope not, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

18. By Gabriel Jaramillo on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I just have to know. If they do move from San Francisco, will they still be called the San Francisco 49ers, or the name is going to change. Someone please answer the question. Thanks.

19. By Jerry Jones on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

My Cowboys stadium is STILL better.

Sincerely,
    Jerry Jones

20. By Jamilla on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I think that the San Francisco 49ers should stay in San Francisco. San Francisco has great public transit to accommodate fans from the east bay as well as fans from San Francisco. Moving the 49ers to Santa Clara will only cause for more traffic and congestion on 101, which only causes more pollution for the Bay Area. As an architecture and urban planning student and resident of San Francisco, I am deeply disappointed to see the 49ers move to Santa Clara. I feel that San Francisco is the best city to have a stadium for the 49ers considering its been its home for so many years. Jed York should think about the cost efficiency of moving the 49ers to Santa Clara.

21. By pennsylvanian9er on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

newstdium for a new begining for the 9ers make it a good begining and the sould of the stick will follow

22. By Ticket Holder since 66 on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Should never even consider moving out of the realm of every fan. So what are all the No. Bay fans supposed to do now? Candlestick was pushing the commute limit but now moving to SC makes it impossible to go the games especially night games. Why not move them to a central location where everyone can have an easy commute? This move Sucks

23. By ninerfanatic on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Oh Jerry. Yes your stadium is great. To bad you can’t say the same for your team. How do you loose to the Cardinals??? Atleast your fans have one good thing to look forward to on game day, the stadium.

24. By KennyThaKilla on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, so I’ve got a question for the web designer. Why is it that when you click “reply” next to these comments, nothing happens? And why does it say I’m logged out at the top of the page, but when I go back to the main page it says I’m logged in? And why does a comment I made yesterday still say “Your comment is awaiting moderation.”, and yet everyone else has been able to post? Something’s screwy here.

25. By Stuart on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

SBL’s…so how much will that cost the FAITHFULL who have been there through the lean years? How many FAITHFULL will go to the new house? Seat licenses worked very well for the Raiders, did it not! Looks like more vacation time trips for me because I have no intentions paying a fee in order to purchase season tickets. How many FAITHFULL will be moving on?

26. By NinersWin555 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

@ jerry jones…too bad your team sucks and so does your howdie dody coach garret !! icing his own field goal kicker hahahahahahaha !!!

27. By loyal49erfan on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I hear that York is planning on charging all of the season ticket holders to have our seats with the new stadium! The seat charge like the Raiders did years ago, I can’t think of the name of it. I’d rather stay at the Stick than come up with an extra $2000 per seat for our season tickets! Most of us that have had our seats for years can’t afford that kind of money. It’s a bad economy York, think about that as you plan on spending this money and sticking it to the “49er faithful”!

28. By Stuart on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

They are censoring folks on this page. I made a comment regarding SBL’s on Sunday Dec 4 and on Monday Dec 5 I see they have deleted me. So this is how the York’s treat their FAITHFULL FANS?

29. By Bub on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Personally, I miss Kezar stadium. There was no parking lot and tailgating hadn’t been invented. I loved the big analog clock on the east end of the stadium. However, it is time to move on and the weather in Santa Clara is waayy better than Candlestick in the summer.

30. By KennyThaKilla on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Awesome. My comment was finally added, and the mod didn’t answer my question. They’ve really got it together here. O_o

31. By KennyThaKilla on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Since now it seems my posts don’t need to be cleared my a mod anymore, I’ll go ahead and re-post my original comment that was deleted….

Just one step closer to being called the Santa Clara 49ers. Disgusting. This will be the most shameful act an owner has approved of since they traded away Joe and Jerry.

32. By deborah garcia on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

As a season ticket holder (also). i am sad they will be leaving the stick. They can still be called the San francisco Bay 49ers. Because the new stadium will still be in the bay area. I will really miss the ride up the escalator overlooking the bay. I do hope they put in a place for smokers (I am not one but my brother is) and they have a good area for tailgating. The raider , 9er game is usually a bad showing of how our fans act. If you ask fans from other teams. They generally enjoy comming to our stadium. Our tailgatting should not be limited because of some unruly fans.

33. By 49erfan4life on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m so glad the 49ers are moving to to the South Bay. Sorry SF but Candlestick days are over, and moving to the San Jose AREA is way more profitable. They will draw much bigger crowds and more revenue that don’t include the bums and degenerates that start fights in the stands and parking lots. San Jose/Santa Clara > San Francisco any day. And if you ppl still want to moan and complain about the history there, you shouldn’t have let the stick become a damn cesspool that no one wants to go to. Bottom line, the atmosphere in the south bay is much more positive for the 49ers.

34. By 49erfan4life on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

35. By KennyThaKilla on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

@ 49erfan4life –

What a bunch of elitist garbage. I’m from San Jose and even I want them to stay In San Fran. Guess what? Fights happen everywhere, changing locations won’t stop that.

And last I heard, the Division Champion 49ers weren’t having any problems putting butts in seats.

36. By 49ersus on Dec 7, 2011 | Reply

Will we keep our name the same?

37. By Nancy Carston on Dec 7, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers and San Francisco…always and forever. Been a fan since Kezar stadium. Please don’t take the team to Santa Clara….only the weathly and corporations will be able to afford this move.

38. By mrdgroze on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

I think the move is a smart one for the Niners. SF had their chance to get the niners a stadium but they took to long and though Candlestick has an amazing history its one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL. The parking is horrible and getting in and out of the parking lot is a nightmare. The new stadium should be better equipped for tailgating, parking, quicker entrances and exits. Plus you got the now SF 49er amusement park next door. Hotels and restaurants all around, several freeways, and public transportation. I have always been a Niner fan and I am glad they get this opportunity. I’m sure they will keep the San Francisco name, there are a few NFL teams that have stadiums in other cities and still kept there original name. Though if they do become the Santa Clara 49ers, I will still be a fan, the city will not change the team.

39. By byron nelson on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

As a 40 year season ticket holder, I will not be making the switch to S/C. It is a San Francisco team and it should remain one. The team will leave more then its heart in SF. I take the move as a slap in the face after being a Faithful coming up with the money for tickets year after year even when I really couldn’t afford them. I knew we were in trouble when old man York made his first statement after “acquiring” the team ” We are going to make this team profitable.” He never did have the best interest of the “real” fans in mind.

40. By Byron Nelson, Jr. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I fear this site is being censored. My earlier post that was negative about the move to SC disappeared. So I will post it again; As a 40 year season ticket holder, I will not be making the switch to SC. The city is where the niners heart is and it will not go to SC. I feel it is a slap in the face to the real fans who have supported the team over the years by moving the them to SC. It is not like there was not enough fans coming to the games at the Stick and it is not like there no other place in SF that a stadium could be build…Shame on the Yorks for doing this!

41. By REWHITE on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I just want to say Thank You to the entire football organization and especially our FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

WHY? we are not in the new for all the dumb Shiit that’s going on and I hope we can keep it that way it feel like the team has turned a wonderful corner and I pray we stay this way.

there so many teams players getting in trouble for all kind of things but not our 49ers

Again THANK YOU

GO 49ERS

42. By REWHITE on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Byron Nelson Jr.

When you go to the new stadium you’ll get over it and thanks for being a true faithful for all these years I really don’t like when a fair weather fan makes a comment like yours it really pisses me off but you are not one of those
    with respect bro stay faithful

Your 49er brother

Go 49ers

43. By REWHITE on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

AND I want Them To stay them SF 49ers they would be complete idiots to change that

44. By Santa Claran on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

regarding the Naming Rights- It’d piss me off to no end if they use the name “TOYOTA” anywhere… tired of Toyota half time show this… Toyota that… sheeesh get lost

45. By TahoedirtTahoeview on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I AM CURIOUS IF ANY OLD SF 49ER FANS HAVE CONSIDERED THIS APPROACH- Tortious interference. it’s obvious to me, that in S Clara desire to steal the team away from San Francisco they have violated this law. they obviously in roaches on the existing buss betepween the team and it’s existing partner ??? Thanks, Dave McCune in Tahoe