Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Nov. 21

Posted by Taylor Price on November 21, 2011 – 4:19 PM

Against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Kyle Williams set career highs in catches and yards.

But despite the career day, the second-year wideout was humble in speaking to reporters on Monday. Really, Williams just hopes capitalizing on the opportunity against the Cardinals will result in more chances to make plays going forward.

“There are so many people on this team who can make plays,” said Williams, who leads 49ers wide receivers with two touchdown catches this season. “You never know if it’s going to be you or when it’s going to be you. So when your number is called, to be able to come out and make those plays for your teammates and show that you can step in at any moment, too, is just so important.”

Coming into Sunday, Williams had five career receptions. By the end of the day, he matched his career output with five catches that went for 54 yards, including an 8-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter.

Williams, however, expected to be involved in the game plan for the Cardinals. In recent weeks he’s been more involved in the offense, catching passes in San Francisco’s last three wins, and saw Sunday’s NFC West matchup as a great time to break out further.

Fittingly, Williams’ performance against Arizona’s pro team reminded him of his role with the Arizona State Sun Devils.

In Williams’ mind, he’s now being called on to exploit mismatches against bigger slot defenders who can’t handle his 4.3, 40-yard dash speed. At times, Williams found Cardinals rookie linebacker Sam Acho matched up on him, and Williams couldn’t help but get excited.

“I think that favors us as an offense,” Williams added. “It’s a change up for us.”

Equally beneficial is the widespread impact the receivers have had on the 49ers offense. At various times, wideouts like Michael Crabtree, Braylon Edwards and Ted Ginn Jr. have been called upon to help the unit. Sunday was seemingly Williams’ turn, which earned him the respect of his peers.

Williams called his fellow wide receivers, “brothers,” and added that the group can be selfish when it comes to winning.

“We want to win and that’s the only thing we’re selfish about, getting wins as a team,” Williams said. “I don’t think we care who does it, just that it gets done.”

Tags:

19 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Nov. 21”

1. By Mike on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Williams played a great game. I noticed him in that last game. He has that movement after the catch where it is just very difficult to predict where he will go with the ball. Kind of like a good point guard. I think he is going to be a big play maker for us as the season progresses and in the post-season.

2. By Eric on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

^ Agreed, i def hope to see him more often this season.

3. By Paul Karpurk on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Great speed! Fun to watch! Is it just me or are ALL of the 49ers
    playing with unselfish “Team-First” behavior? Gotta love it!
    Coach Harbaugh….we believe! “Who has it better than us?”

4. By Keith Wood on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I want to see more of WIlliams. I hope Greg Roman is listening! All he does is catch balls and that more than even our veterans do at times. This kids for real, keep him in the game plan!

5. By Justin on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree with that comment from Mike. I really like that the 49ers are using all of their options in any given week. While I would like to see all five of the top receiving targets get at least one 100 yard game this season (V. Davis, Crabtree, Edwards, Walker and Williams/Ginn) I think that they are spreading it all around like this is only going to help in the postseason. If you really dig deep into the rosters, 9ers pose SO MANY potential threats. The mismatches are incredible. I don’t remember seeing too many teams able to create this many at any given moment. Very impressive POTENTIAL. That’s the key. The potential is there, and so far, so is the execution. Let’s hope the growth continues throughout January. Sure do miss Josh….

6. By 9ner9er on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I never noticed b4 but Williams is pretty short for a WR. But he is da mn fast. I like to see more of williams.

7. By Cease on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

What is going on with B. Swain? is he ever going to play?

8. By antwan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

LET’S GOOO 9ERS!!!!

9. By Louie on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

This team is really building week by week.

Its great seeing west coast football, really love it, reminds me of the old days with Montana and Co.

The offense is starting to click with so many threats, and love the play calling, how good is it.

The defense is also building – 5 takeaways that’s just unreal.

Go niners – win baby win !!!!!!

10. By Lamar Osborne on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

We Have Our Own West Welker. Im Glad He Is Back Healthy And Being Used More Then The Last Seasons. Now If We Could Just Bring Those 94/95 Unis Out For 1 Game……GO NINERS!!!

11. By alex_fn_smith on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

he did great in the dallas game to,when he scored that brandon lloydish touchdown…i jumped up and said rookie of the year baby!!! (even though i knew this was his second year) but still,he could very well be a franchise receiver for us.

12. By alex_fn_smith on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

he did great in the dallas game too,when he scored that brandon lloydish touchdown…i jumped up and said rookie of the year baby!!! (even though i knew this was his second year) but still,he could very well be a franchise receiver for us.

13. By alex_fn_smith on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

thats what we need to a nice speedy receiver like a randle el, or a wes welker, now all we need is a tall power receiver who can make catches down the middle and we’ll be set

14. By alex_fn_smith on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

or did i just describe vernon davis?

15. By MDB on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

alex fn smith. Braylon Edwards is gonna make some big catches when coach Harbaugh fully opens the playbook. It’s still early and bringing out a few plays at a time is working. We don’t want to rush into trying to do too much to soon. But I am glad to see Kyle getting more involved. Brett Swain has had enough time learning the new system so he should be getting into the game as well. It really sucked to lose Josh but the guys have stepped it up and we keep rolling. Good Times.

16. By skeet on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

keep ya head up braylon! ur time is coming…

17. By jose on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I have to make an apology to both Alex Smith and the 49ers for what I have said about my own team and this is what I said “I love Alex as a person, he is the best but just cant play this game” And “I will not be watching the 49ers game this year because I love my team to much to see them get beat every time they play. I will watch them lose only two times than next time I see them again will be next year” And i was very close to turning the Eagles game off when Alex and Hunter started to do their stuff. I know Alex has gone though 7 different people that have taught him different but every is surprised that the Niners are 9-1 but I’m too. The Niners Could have been 13-3 and 14-2 and last two years easy but Alex poor judgments and fumbles lose us the games. He was good in the 1st and 3rd quarters now hes good every quarter that why we are winning. So like I said “Im sorry Alex and 49ers” I will be supporting you win or lose, With Alex or with out him. Ps I hope the 49ers beat green bay in the Playoffs in S.F or G.B and show why he was drafted ahead of Rogers, I just hope its in S.F, Not because we will have a hard time but because the way to the Superbowl should always go though S.F and the sound just right.

18. By jose on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

have anyone gone to the Baltimore website? its funny how how their fans are mad because their more Niner new than Raven news, go look its great and read about V Davis and what they say about him, Lets all cheer for Davis more this OK>

19. By We Cut Who? on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply