Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Sept. 19

Posted by Taylor Price on September 19, 2011 – 2:32 PM

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL can sometimes come down to a matter of inches.

Third-year 49ers defensive tackle Ricky Jean Francois learned that fact the hard way on Sunday after a 27-24 overtime loss to the visiting Dallas Cowboys.

With the Cowboys in need of a 48-yard field goal to send the game into overtime, Jean Francois’ heavily taped left hand grazed Dan Bailey’s long-range attempt. Jean Francois’ tip might have actually helped Bailey make his first field goal of the game after he missed from 21 yards in the first quarter.

It was just another frustrating aspect of the 49ers first loss under new coach Jim Harbaugh.

For many of the 49ers, including Jean Francois, the defeat didn’t sit very well. So instead of letting the disappointing outcome linger, the 49ers reserve defensive lineman came straight into team headquarters Sunday night to review the game tape.

“I had to see the mistakes,” said Jean Francois, who estimated watching the entire game at least three times. “I had to see the breakdowns and where we could get better at, especially myself. I wanted to see what I didn’t do right.”

As a whole, the 49ers defense knows it can take strides despite the Dallas game ending in a loss.

“We showed the league we can shut any one individual rusher down,” Jean Francois said, alluding to the team’s streak of 24 games of not allowing a 100-yard rusher. Dallas was held to 45 yards on 22 carries.

“I think this will help our team come together and see things clearer. We see things clear right now, but I’m talking high-definition clear.”

More Monday Notes

With Monday’s being the player’s day off, Jean Francois was one of a handful of players available during the team’s open locker period. Not to worry, Harbaugh offered plenty of insight and information during his weekly press briefing.

Much of Harbaugh’s press conference centered on the team’s search for an identity, to which the coach stated: “I think we’re in a process of finding our identity, having it click on all cylinders. We’re going to stick to our guns. In a lot of ways, disappointed like all fans, all players, all coaches. Everybody involved is disappointed but not discouraged. I feel we’re on track.”

Harbaugh said wide receiver Braylon Edwards would have an MRI on his injured knee on Monday. The 49ers coach also spoke positively about second-year wide receiver Kyle Williams, who caught a 12-yard touchdown, the first of his NFL career. “He made a heck of a play on the touchdown,” Harbaugh said. “It was an outstanding catch. Happy for him because he’s been working to dress the first game and got an opportunity, and shined.”

Lastly, Harbaugh hinted that cornerback Shawntae Spencer and safety Dashon Goldson, two 49ers starters a year ago, could have more of a role this week against the Cincinnati Bengals. Both players have been hampered with injuries to start the regular season, but Harbaugh said both will have a shot to be more involved.  “They definitely have the ability and experience and license to do that,” Harbaugh said.

71 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Sept. 19”

1. By David Gomez on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Where was Vernon Davis? I mean last year he was open all the time and this year so far he has been very quiet. Does not make any sense.

2. By Mike Juricich on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I the Niners would have recovered the fumble at the end of the 4th quarter they could have won the game. Still Niner fan for life

3. By PAninersfan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

i just seen that they are saying that tony romo suffers a punctured lung against us………… im sorry but i think that bullsh**!!!!!!!! they are making tony look like he is a hell of a QB. this is making me so sick. i mean what about the niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they played a HELL of a game!!!!!!

4. By J. on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I sincerely hope the Niners will come back. This is my home team since 1989 and I believe in the team 100%. We do need an identity but we also need to become more aggressive offensively as well. The plays in the Cowboy game were executed VERY well. To Alex Smith, you played a much smarter and more emotional game and the fans would love to see more of that. I hope you get more comfortable in the pocket and use your athletics to take advantage of any opposition. I believe in you. To the team: I believe you guys are playing at playoff level and expect to see more of that in the games to come. I won’t wish you good luck because I WILL see it from you guys.

5. By missouri 9er on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Overall REALLY GOOD team effort just made a couple coverage mistakes and that one neutral zone penalty on 3rd down and the game could have been ours. But thats football and those things can be corrected. Gotta give Alex some love he did very well and believe coach H can help him have a breakout year. GO NINERS, Lets get a win at Cinci!!!!!!!

6. By Rebel Texn on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I know this loss was tuff and trust me I live in Texas and im a 49er fan so I am outnumbered bad. I see things going well though. It was surely a tough loss that I thought we should have pulled out. Though I really do see improvement that I didnt see last year were it was like a broken record same game over and over same problems. They are fixing things and I believe this time it is going to work. I also believe Alex is doing much better he seems a bit more come and makeing better decisions. GO 49ers this will always be my team and I am makeing an effort to be here in Texas showing support.

7. By justaninerfan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I am tired of hearing how Tony Romo is such a great quaterback and that he is such a tough guy that he played with a punctured lung. That is BS. If Niners win they would be talking about how he messed up again. It is going to be a long week for this Niner fan.

8. By Phillip on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I am proud of alex smith he has really made some positive strides and is starting to look like the quarterback he was in college. As for losing to dallas, I mean really?! COME ON! At the end of regulation what are you thinking taking that field goal, I know you don’t wanna take points off the board but if you take the first down, even if you just go three plays and kick the field goal your keeping dallas off the field and running down the clock, that is just a big slip up to me you should have faith that your offense can keep driving and that is a big momentum penalty, besides Akers just made one from 50+ and he is an nfl kicker he oughta be able to make another.This team needs a turn around its ok to take a risk Harbaugh.

9. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

7 years people Alex is not going to get any better face the music he will be average and that is about it. Ounce again you can’t go a whole half with 3 and outs and expect the defense to perform they got no rest…and before you say oh well this and that a injured QB came out and wooped up on us so there is your Alex Smith….he left us with nothing in over time and during the whole 2nd half. The cowboys not only beat us they made us look silly ….worse performace yet for the oh he is pretty good QB can’t even get us a drive to kick a field goal and win the game….sad

10. By facedagree on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

its all good niners lets get this win strong and go 2-1 in cincy…one week at a time..oh,good job alex you did good and hope the coach let you air it out more and hope the o-line steps it up more…we need the time for ya!! nice caych to williams,that was tha ish!!! fans dont panic man,still mucho football left!!!! GO NINERS BABY…

11. By greg on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

THEY PLAYED A LOT BETTER THIS WEEK KEEP IT UP

12. By Alan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

IVE BEEN A FAN FOR OVER 40+ YEARS I LOOK AT THIS TEAM AS THE SAME
    TYPE OF TEAM BILL HAD IN HIS 2ND YEAR HERE , WE HAVE A VERY YOUNG TEAM , EXCEPT FOR A FEW PLAYERS , As for ALIX HE WAS HANDED A BAD DEAL EVER YEAR FOR 6 YEARS HE WAS HANDED A NEW PLAY BOOK EVEN JOE OR STEVE WOULD HAD IT HARD . I thank god for Harbaugh he will lead our team to the big show in the very near furture.

ALAN.

13. By eeribs on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

2nd week & tied for 1st…Looks DANG GOOD TO ME!!!! Get better! GO NINERS!

14. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

seven years in S.F. you don’t know a thing about football, all you do is throw Alex under the bus. Go find another team to cry about, your opinion means nothing to the true 9er fan. In the beginning the niners played real good, we just did not finish. Tom Brady would have been running for his life if he had a 0-line like ours. Our defense lost the game for us, they should have held Dallas back, but they didn’t. It was like our defense folded in the end. We need to forget about this game and move on, we still have a chance to win the west. Forget about Romo and Dallas, yesterday is gone, we cant go back. Just continue to support our team 110% and stop your crying seven years in S.F.

15. By J. NUNES on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Yesterday was played go by the niners, i don’t see why we didn’t take away the three points, maintained possession, and ran down the clock, bad coaching.

16. By Nrek49 on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I was there and they played really good the crowed was awsome. During the 4th the niners were being more conservative with ball and on defense they stopped the blitz on Romo knowing the cowboys had to throw. I am proud of the Niners it was a good fight we were short on 2 recievers so the out come could have been different. Keep it up, knock out Cinnci and there rookie QB and stop the run as always. Niners will see the playoffs keep a chin up. GO NINERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By Anthony on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

For the record, “seven years in SF” knows what he is talking about and I agree 100%. And he has 8 dislikes, by people that are so bias they can’t tell the truth and that is why we will continue to settle for mediocrity, when we are a legacy franchise. A call for red out with all the red in the stands, and our team ain’t inspired enough to pull out a win against a hurt QB? That is SAD!

18. By Harold on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Our Defenseive Secondary Is still the same TERRIBLE!!!! we need a true identity a ronny lott type or deion sanders player to avoid the melt down we had sunday.

19. By Truninerfan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

it is really nice to see fans support our players, coaches and our team. But I am really baffled at the Alex haters, or just haters period, all you haters need to find a new team, With the lockout and trying to learn a new offense and defense our players, our team is still learning the system and will continue to get better each and every week. To put the blame on Alex reallly shows just how smart YOU are NOT. True fans support their players, coaches, and team. Go Alex, Go Team and Go Niners……….

20. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

so none of my posts are being put up i guess because they don’t want to hear the truth so we shall see in week 8 where we stand and how the QB situation is then …and if you realize this has all been heard for 7 years and it won’t get any better till the QB situation is rectified. And that’s a fact

21. By jrod on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I think everyone just needs to stop trashing alex and just take it in…we lost, plain and simple, our defense and bad decisions by harbaugh is what lost the game for us, alex actually played good enough to win the game for us, im just really dissapointed with our second half play calling, we didint convert any third downs, thats what pisses me off, but lets forget about this game and focus on the bengals, we should be 2-1 by next monday, im confident we will, our team is only gonna get better, lets show faith in our niners and support no matter what….NINERS FOR LIFE!!

22. By NinersNation214 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Man that was a close game, we didnt get the win but it did prove that we are alot better than last year. I stay in Dallas and have been here since 1998 I am the only niner fan in my circle, and it was bitter to lose to the cowgirls with a house full of there fans after an entire half of them silent.Remember this is a first year NFL coach in Harbaugh and he is learning too I think we will still win at least 10 games this season and at least 1 playoff game.keep the hope alive!!! And once Alex is gone then back to the glory days!!!

23. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

AFTER ALEX TAKES US TO THE PLAYOFFS I HOPE THEY SIGN HIM TO A 3 YEAR CONTRACT, SO ALL THESE HATERS COULD EITHER SUPPORT HIM OR LEAVE TO ANOTHER TEAM. I DON’T KNOW WHY THE HATERS EVEN WATCH FOOTBALL, THEY DON’T KNOW A THING ABOUT THE GAME. TRUE FANS WILL BACK OUR WHOLE TEAM INCLUDING ALEX SMITH. YOU GUYS ARE STUCK IN THE PAST, GET OVER IT ALREADY AND START SUPPORTING OUR TEAM 110%. OR SIMPLY GO FIND ANOTHER TEAM TO CRY ABOUT. A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES!

GO 49ER, LETS WIN THE REST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

24. By Jose A on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

hey at least there is a sense of urgency after a tough loss and just the second game. this team is gonna compete with any team. im just so diisapointed we couldnt get more pressure on their quaterback, that exposes our secondary . everyone knows that we didnt really address that need so its very weak. we get torched through the air. I thought with the success aldon smith had in preseason and how parys and justin both had 2 sacks the first game that we were gonna be a force against anyone. sure enough dallas held us to just one sack. the o line also gave up six so to me thats two areas that overall cost us the game, besides that of course is alex smith not being able the read coverages and not becoming a field general. You can see he wants to but I dont know if its there, I guess the success he had in utah was just smoking mirrors . I mean it is what it is he is what we have right now so we gotta live with the guy but when these other categories dont go to our favor the niners will not win most of those times and hopefully alex can be a bit more ready come playoff time . Either way things end up i’ll be rooting for my 49ers forever. Bury me a G-niner.

25. By 49eray on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

ALEX WILL AIR IT OUT AGAINST CINCY..

26. By Waylon82 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Dear Coach Harbaugh,

When we were out of a coach I was hoping to pull Gruden out of retirement. I just wanted the w.c.o. back with the Niners. I was very hesitant for us to have a college coach. I stand corrected, you are exactly what they needed. I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I know it is up there. We are definitely going in the right direction. Get the big play fixed on defense and you guys beat the Cowgirls easily. Lets go Niners!!

27. By JIMMY LA CHANCE on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

GET CARSON PALMER AND WIN THE BOWL!

28. By rjd niner on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Teams are not going to run on use maybe 50yrds
    Iam going to watch nfl replay tonight and base my next comments on what i see not what i read
    did we make a mistak when we let go tayler mayes YES OR NO

29. By sean on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

we will be just fine alex did good job just need to read defenses better our defense is good offense should pick up
    soon go niners

30. By True Niner Faithful on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I have to admit I was happy to see us put up more than 20 points in a game in comparision to last year. The team is slowly beginning to jell, and once it does it’s going to even more exciting to see what this coaching staff can do with this team. we have a lot of the key pieces in place. now we just need to continue to mesh them together. for a short office season, it’s exciting to see such strides. so now let’s go to cincy and air it out to shut up the critics and hopefully finally get some recognition from the NFL network.

31. By dan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

49ers need a running game…gore, dixon and hunter need to get going…this opens up vernon and the rest of the wideouts which leads to alex smiths confidence which ultimately results to wins

32. By True Niner Faithful on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

@Anthony: I was at the game, and it wasnt a red out. its was, imo about 50% of dallas fans. so before you call for inspiration please educate yourself. the problem cant be fixaided on one player this time. I agree, we havent had stellar qb play for some time now. but this game, was simply lost due to the coohesivness of the team. when a line gives up 6 sacks, it’s partially blamed on the lack of time they’ve had to mesh. to all the people like “Anthony” and “seven beers too many” dont be so quick to forget, that nobody in the NFL expect this game to be remotely close. Yet we lead and did a good job against a good team. sure, we could of done things differently and maybe if the ball bounced in a different direction we could of sealed the win. So dont be discouraged, and support your team. if your truely a Niner Faithful. Go NINERS, I still believe.

33. By True Niner Faithful on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

to the coaches, great job with the little time you’ve had. I see genuine strides being taken and am very excited to see what the rest of the season will bring. I understand it takes time, because Rome wasnt built in one day. Go Niners!!!

34. By Rembrandt on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Big Plus…the OFFENSE scored the points against Dallas & moved the ball against them…HOWEVER, Please take another look at “keeping” points scored re: After Akers FG in the 4th quarter, there was 11 minutes, 12 seconds left on the clock. There was a penalty on Dallas that would’ve given us another set of downs. Accept the penalty! RUN THE CLOCK DOWN, do NOT give the ball back to Dallas already! We could’ve run another 2 MINUTES or MORE! & STILL scored, possibly a TD & kept their offense OFF OF THE FIELD! Please consider this, the longer WE hold the ball, the better chances of victory!

35. By BIGGEST 9ER FAN IN TEXAS on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

man all this news on ESPN.NFL NETWORK and all other sports channles are making me sick about the cowgirls “comeback”..first of all the reff blew a BAD call in the 2nd qrt for them to score 2nd they are making homo or OhNo or what ever name he has look as if he is a super hero..c’mon what about our team.All these sport channles make it seem like we (49ERS) dont even belong in the NFL or something like we are the worst team and should get blown out everygame..C’MON 9ERS LETS WHOOP SOME @$$ AND SHOW ALL THESE DOUBTERS WHAT WE CAN DO………PLAYOFFS

36. By J.A. Ruvalcaba In NM on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see more confidence on Alex S. as we had almost had 2min left on the first half and 2 timeouts and did nothing, no points. We need to take advantage of that. We need not to show any weekness, in the NFL any team at anytime can win, so we need to take advantage of every opportunity. But overall the niners look very good and the rest of the NFL teams becareful when you play us now, we are not the same team as before. GO NINERS WIN THE REST OF THE GAMES!

Fan since 1980 and always will be

37. By rjd niner on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

it
    all about the ratings WE AS NINER FANS KNOW WHAT WE GOT
    until we win the nfc west and 10 games or more that talk will continue
    a niner fan in Texas that great what do you think about TEXAS AM
    moving to the SEC

38. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

baca baca baca we have gone over this for …wit for it ….7 years it is always the sme thing …if Alex can do this better or that better …..it has been 7 years …if you go to work and dont get any better at your job even though you were hired as the best of the best and you struggle and can’t fully complete your work do you think your co workers or should i say the customers …because that is what we are …the fans are the customers and how long do we have to wait for this guy to make a good cup of coffee …it’s not hate of Alex it is the sheer maddness of why is he still here and why is no one realizing he can’t get it done after 7 years he can’t get it done…we write every day every week because we know someone ion the organization reads this stuff i mean it is on their website after all ….Baca we are fans and for 7 years we have heard the same thing over and over and over and over again if he can learn to do this if he can get better at that if he can just ………..boggles the mind don’t it …..and playoffs …wow ounce again can i get some of what you are on ………….

39. By Sf Faithfull on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

All ive since in the media the last couple days is how tony was able to lead his team with a “collapsed lung” and is made out to be a hero but they dont mention how they were wrong in saying the cowboys were gonna dominate the entire GAME! we lead this game for 4 quaters and 9ers get no props. anyways….will get em next time!

40. By joe on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

hey everyone.i thought we played well,just a few things to coerrect as far as the secondary and alex.we will come together as a team. now even closer with this loss,i see a totally differnt team from a few years ago.this team is going to make it.iwhat i would like to see from alex is taking some shots downfield he has the arm he has the accuracy ttake some chances alex open yourself more you can make big plays i know you can buddy.severl times i saw guys open down feild throw the ball and let the receivers do there job go and get the ball.look off one receiver then turn to the oppiste side and hit another reciever like young and montana use to do it.go niners

41. By phillip on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Joe I agree we have alot of hidden talent at the wr position alex just doesn’t take enough shots down the field

42. By kelsey on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

niners looked great but they are overshadowed by romo and his “lung” if we had gotten the win we MIGHT have gotten some love but we didnt so back to obscurity we go. we better beat the bengals next week i will be there in person to root the niners on. i think the niners are good enough to reach the playoffs simply because of the division we are in. with that being said we need better execution on the offensive side of the ball in the second half get out of third and long and we will excel EVEN with alex as our qb he didnt lose us the game. jh will keep alex on a short leash all year and minimize his mistakes that is the key to winning with this team. go niners!!!!!!

43. By Ojay on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a fan 25+years and I think Alex is playing well from week to week so far. The offense is still learning the new system from week to week. We will gradually open the offense week to week when we get all of our weapons back on the field, at the same time. Our defense is playing well I think the secondary needs to communicate more on the field thta all. We are stll missing Dashon and Shawnte also. We will take care of Cincy cause we are young, hungry and we want to play and win for Harbaugh. Go Niners!

44. By Louie on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Overall great game shame we had to lose it, a lot of negative talk although think about we lost against Dallas in OT I can think of much worse results.

Harbough did the right thing in keeping those points, you have to believe in your defense, as defense wins championships and not the offense.

Alex Smith had a great game he looks really sharp and confident, I still think his the real deal and having a Quarterback in his ear calling the shots will only make him better. The poor guy has had 6 different play books over the years, just imagine how confusing that would be.

The players – Frank Gore expressed his disbelief in losing the game and angry, the team needs to have this attitude that they don’t lose those games, they can’t lose those games and  losing is not acceptable anymore. The players need to dig in and win these games. It doesn’t matter how good your coach is, how good your quarterback is, when the team is in the position to win it needs to commit as a unit and to get the job done.

45. By joe on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

i agree push till the end when the clocks stops in the 4th q that’s when the players need to stop pushing push to the end,no slack hard hits good plays till the whistle boows and that will also make an impact on how the game goes.no sacrifice no victory.

46. By Alessandro on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith should be hanged from the North Goal Post and Chilo Rachal from the South… they blow

47. By ninernation on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

i think the coaches will let him through deeper down field this week but they have had trouble outta cincy in the past. alex did really good this week dslla’s defence is pretty decent, i think theyer just as good as any other team and they should win the divison this year if alex keeps improving like he is. I think in 94 dallas beat them but in nfc tital game it was a different story , it could be the same way this year.

48. By Sf4t9er on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Alex is just a temporary fix till we find a true Leader he will never be a Super Bowl caliber QB. I truly understand why JH will play it conservative with Alex he knows what he’s capable of doing he must see it during practice. I don’t hate on him I just don’t believe he has the talent to take us where we want to go and tha’ts the Super Bowl. Im sick and tired of not making the playoffs every year. After this year Alex is gone that’s for sure someone will outperform him during pre -season and that will be the end of it. By the way that interception was extremely costly.

49. By MICHAEL COOPER on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

let`s face it , you all played well But didn`t finish. We all Know what needs to be done to get beeter. Lets move on and get beeter. It sounds like B.S. but all of the teams ( O,D , & ST. ) have to improve.

50. By Aaron on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

go niners!!!!

51. By Z9ers on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Seven years of nonsense posts show a lifetime of not knowing a thing about the game. First off name a receiver before this year that Alex has had that was a true number 1. Battle, Antonio Bryant, washed up Bruce, now we at least have Edwards. Oh and don’t say crabtree because he hasn’t proved to b worth a dam. Vernon is the best weapon that he’s had and I’d say he had a great record setting season with smith throwing the ball. Bottom line poor management and coaching for seven years I agree. But there is only one guy that I see constantly win and put up numbers with any receivers and that’s Brady and Alex isn’t brady but no one else in the nil is Brady either.

52. By niner4life on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

This is the best I have seen the niners look in a long time. Just wish we could have sealed the win against Dallas to shut my brother-in-laws mouth. Go niners!!!!!!

53. By Z9ers on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

All of you that are looking for a quick fix Need to relax it has been years of damage that needs to be fixed. Thank Scott McCullough and poor player development. At least this year I see guys getting better. Alex looks better bowman looks great Ginn looks good now if our secondary and o line gets better we might be competitive. I believe in what harbaugh and I will judge him when the season is over. If we continue to get better I think we win the west.

54. By Sf4t9er on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

No doubt about it we should win our weak division even with Alex but to compare him to Brady is INSANE. What numbers has he put up.Donovan did it with no receivers for a number of years. Alex has never shown signs of greatness at that’s the bottom line he played in a spread offense in college he should had never been drafted by the Niners. Were not Texas Tech or the Utes we run an NFL offense. The guy can’t play under center or move in the pocket can’t you see or are you idiot’s blind. The guy is a second string QB any other team would have cut him along time ago.

55. By Scotty on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Vernon Davis was getting double coverage most of the game. Its good to have other options. Great catch by Kyle Williams. We had a lot of opportunitys to win that game, but at least we know we can compete with other teams. A year ago we wouldnt of a had a chance, were not 0-2 from the start so thats a definite improvement. GO NINERS!! lets get 2-1

56. By MIKE L on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

the dbs failed us period

57. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Holy cow Sf4t9er if i didn’t know better i would have thought i wrote that exact comment actually i think i have verbatum several times throughout the 7 years man 7 years of this hack …..ounce again i mean u guys just bash me and don’t ever read my posts …just as Sf4t9er said he is a spread offense guy we shoud have went with rodgers not because he is good now but because he was a better fit for under center anyways ….i believe that Mark sanchez came into league and started and went to the playoffs all ready and for seven years all we hear is he will get better he will this and that …and what he needs an all star to throw to ….lol too funny that is rediculous …and i can’t believe i have to say this ….Romo wooped up on us with a cracked rib and the rookie rookie reciever killed us ….so don’t hand me that he needs a all star reciever garbage stop making excuses for Alex and let him fade away just like our dream of any post season with him at the helm…yes we will not go anywhere with him at QB sorry to tell ya …..if you don’t believe me lets see what you say at week 8-9 man this sucks why us with this guy really

58. By DL Woobear on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Tell me that Coach H made the right move with taking the points your F-en
    idiot.. The kickoff almost always goes out.. The way they were playing he just saped the team. They had a chance for a TD.. If not always the FG…He best
    stop taking addvice from his subordinates ..Play the game he has been tought.
    Lets face it he CHOKED…. peace

59. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I know someone on the 49ers has to read these i mean it is on thier site please make Alex at least practice timing routes and getting the ball out faster i mean his play fakes during the cowboys game were horrible i am sure they saw that in the film and his reads of the blitz laughable …he has no pocket pressence or feel his throws take forever to get off and he rarely steps up in the pocket when the line does their job and pushes the rushers out and up….so many problems and 7 years in the NFL have had no impact on his performance look at rookie year film nothing has changed ….the pick was a bust move on the fans are tired of paying to watch someone try and play professional football get a veteran in here and salvage the season please

60. By Sf4t9er on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Niners have had a great running game for a number of years you would think Alex would be able to develope as a QB. Gore get’s handed the same playbook every year but we don’t complain about his performance. Seven Years I totally agree this guy is a total bust all I hear are excuses.

61. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

The playbook excuse is the best one …come on really the different playbook is patterns thats all you as a QB picked #1 overall should know how to throw the ball efficientely and with some talent …as i have said the niners are at fault for picking him he was not the right type of QB for our style of football. All i am saying is he is not ever going to do anything here ….it is just not going to happen …you can teach the playbook you can teach mechanics to a point you can teach how to read the defense …Alex’s biggest problem is he can’t throw a timeing route and that is the bread and butter of the offense that and Alex has problems throwing accurately when the play breaks down….as in the last game several plays broke down for the Cowgirls and Romo (really starting to hate that guy)made it happen i mean come on he completed several 4 downs and not only that won the game in overtime. Alex does not have the gumption to pull that off and in the NFL you have to be able to pull out of you something that is going to defy the odds sometimes and just plain make it happen and that is not going to happen with Alex …look at the Bills QB a no name that came back and pulled out a win and he has a new playbook and coach and players Alex has never even displayed any thing close to a break out game and several rookie QB’s have had em and now the 2-3 year QB’s have had plenty of em and no you don’t need to win to showcase your skills but you do have to have some sort of skills to showcase and for 7 years …..seven years all he has done is hit the check down guy 57 percent of the time the rest were bad throws and sacks because he held the ball too long.

62. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

and thank you Sf4t9er for bringing up Gore…..as he stated.. Gore has had plenty of huge games and gotten plenty of yards and had plenty of success with the same line the same coaches the same playbooks the same coordinators ……..can you explain that…….can you lol

63. By yakkyduck on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

It breaks my heart to say this but good job Romo. His coming back was admirable. STUPID bud admirable. This is just my opinion I dont think it was the hit that punctured his lung but his continuation after the injury the cowgirl staff should have never let him back on the field. Shame Shame Shame on them one more reason Im adding to hate the cowgirls. Now to the 49ers could we just learn to block long enough to set up a screen ( say maybe to a speedy rookie lol) This will atleast allow things to develop down field and take the target of GORE.. Kinda hard to run when the WHOLE NFL knows your the target. This is just my opinion and in know way reflect those of the NFL the 49ers or their staff.

64. By Julio on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey I live in Texas too so trust me your not alone

65. By niner4life on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@niner4life! get another name you cocksucker im the real niner4life! ask j r baca form new mexico!

66. By Ojay on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

As, for the playbook. I’ve watched both games and Alex has played very well. The Dallas game, he threw the ball well even with pressure in his face. We should’ve won that game hands down. The offensive line and the secondary didn’t play well in the 2nd half, but there is no excuse for the playbook at all. we just have to execute better. It’s still a long season and we will win the west with Alex under center. Have you looked at his QBR lately? Thanks seven years in S.F.

67. By seven years in S.F. on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

lol QBR it is a west coast offense the QB rating is going to be high man does anyone know anything about anything im no expert i am for sure that the QB rateing has nothing to do with anything accept for drafting and freeagents it.s what you get done that matters and as of late and as of seven years now Alex has not done anything ….oh unless you count the fleecing of the Yorks but they don’t know any better the coaches whould have never picked Alex …ive said this several times he is not a west coast QB plain and simple west coast is timing throws and screens and he can.t throw either of those to save his own skin as is well documented on film……watch it.. learn it…. live it….very basic skills are owhere to be seen from him and honestly i have no idea why Harbaugh kept him around Alex must have the gift for gab because that’s the only gift he does have we shall see what ya’all say in week 8-9 about how the team is and how much you want Alex on the team so he can try and get better if he gets a whole probowl team behind him maybe we can win the division …lol Alex our savior …he looks really good at practice ….lol bust

68. By Z9ers on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

First off seven years I will say this maybe Alex wasn’t the best pick for what the coaches wanted to do, so thank Scott M. But come on Nolan goes out hires norv Alex makes a huge improvement from year 1. Lose norv and get no players around him. Instead they draft Manny Lawson, spend 80 mill on Nate I rob the bank clemens, spend big money on justin smith (only 1 worth a dam). So did Did Alext really get him fired or did he do it himself. It is not very good coaching to draft a qb first pick and not only surround him with nothing but put him in a system he hasn’t played or as u say can’t play well. Then u go get so who ever

69. By SFN9ner on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

seven years in s.f – you are a bust at blogging and an even more bust as a 49er fan and a HUGE BUST as a fan of the game..It was a good game against dallas..we could’ve won and we’d be 2-0 then what would u be blogging about…in 2 years time or maybe even the end of this year i bet you’ll be praising coach H and how good he is and your name will be changed to nine years in s.f……as a fan 1-1 you should be happy last year we were 0-2 and we still have plenty of football left and YES our coach(‘s) will for sure coach’m up this week and get ready for next week and lead us to another victory….im pretty sure we’re all upset we lost but as a fan of the game…we love close game’s….Go N9NERS!!!We gotta rookie qb to welcome to the NFL

70. By Z9ers on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Who ever the qb is can get pounded. Check the stats his offense gets abs pounded year in year out ask cutler. Then sing comes in, u know the guy who didn’t want the 49ers to draft Patrick Willis. Now there is a man who can see talent. I won’t say Alex is great but I will say I don’t think we’ve seen his celling yet. Don’t give me 8-9 games give me 12-13. See I know your smart say 8-9 games because after the bengals our schedule is brutal for the next 6 weeks, the hardest part of the whole year. We play our division at the end of the season. So give that time and I bet u will see a big change in Alex.

71. By Niners21 on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

I just dont understand why we would keep 3 on the board when we would have had the 1st down. Take time off the clock,possibly score a TD (win the game), or kick a closer FG. As we look for an identity we need to have faith in the offensive espeacillay when they were moving the ball on that drive. I know Jim wants that decision back.