49ers Claim Tolzien; Sign Practice Squad

Posted by Scott Kegley on September 4, 2011 – 3:59 PM

The San Francisco 49ers have claimed QB Scott Tolzien off waivers from the San Diego Chargers. To make room for Tolzien on the roster, the team waived LB Keaton Kristick.

The 49ers also signed the following seven players to the practice squad: C Chase Beeler, T Derek Hall, WR Joe Hastings, CB Cory Nelms, RB Xavier Omon, TE Konrad Reuland and LB Monte Simmons.

All seven practice squad additions were with the 49ers in training camp this year.

Kristick was originally signed by the 49ers as an undrafted rookie from Oregon State in 2010. He was on the team’s active roster for 12 games last year. In six games, Kristick made six tackles on defense and five tackles on special teams.

Tolzien (6-3, 205) originally signed with the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2011, out of Wisconsin. This preseason, he completed 25 of 40 attempts for 302 yards, one touchdown, one interception and a quarterback rating of 83.5.

In three seasons at Wisconsin, Tolzien appeared in 29 games, including starts in his final 26 appearances, and holds the school records for career completion percentage (.681) and career QB efficiency rating (153.2). In 2010, he started all 13 games, completing 194 of 266 pass attempts for 2,459 yards, 16 touchdowns and six interceptions. Tolzien started all 13 games in 2009 and completed 211 of 328 pass attempts for 2,705 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. As a sophomore, he saw action as a reserve in three games, completing 5 of 8 passes for 107 yards and one interception.

A 24-year-old native of Rolling Meadows, IL, Tolzien attended Palatine Fremd High School. The two-time all-conference choice, threw for 4,145 yards and 40 touchdowns during his career, and set 15 school passing records.

Tolzien’s quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator at Wisconsin was Paul Chryst, brother of 49ers quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst.

Posted in Transactions | 83 Comments »

83 Responses to “49ers Claim Tolzien; Sign Practice Squad”

1. By gary potter on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

tolzien looked good fri night, but still doesn’t leave niners with any vet outside of smith. maybe jh sees something!!

2. By IHOP on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

alrite no rolling the dice, ur keeping 2 qbs in case one is a bust and keeping some solid players on the practice squad, maybe just maybe the niners are superbowl bound, Welp i guess larry the cable guy says it best. GET ER DONE.

3. By cardsrule11 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

LOL 49ERS F***IN SUCK THEY WILL BE LAST IN THE DIVISION THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CARDINALS TAKING DIVISION AGAIN!!!!!!!!! AND GOING BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By ROBERT "BEETLE" BEILHARZ on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I love this move as he was the one QB that I liked in this last nfl draft that was held and was hoping that the 49er’s would draft him and was very sad when they past on him and everybody else did also. I went into shock when I heard that S.D. released him and didn’t keep TZ-12 to back up RIVERS. So when the Niner’s organization hired the Harbaugh clan I knew of this relationship of brothers Paul & Geep Chryst and was hoping that a call took place from Paul to Geep in the case this picture painted out and it did. So I was hoping Paul would call to say bro it would be a wise investment to pick this kid up and see that your getting the next NFL STAR QB. My son like’s Kappy very much and I do also with his running skills and all I got left to say is may the better QB between TZ=12 and KAP-7 win over the staff at S.F.

5. By niner4life on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

good move fiinally! he can play good football!

6. By jamesy1044 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien shows me a rare poise in a man his age and experience. He is cool, strong, athletic and freakish accurate and did I mention COOL… helllooo Joe!
    I love this move more than any in a long time and predict that he will start a game for us this year!
    Oh baby, this kid is the real deal I tell ya.

7. By TIM on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Another great move by Baalke and JH !

8. By Richard on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Thank the 49er gods this guy is good smart head on his shoulders would not be surprised if he beats out CK at the 2 spot in no time its on lest roll 9ers!

9. By scott on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

good to see them (49ers)get anoter qb.i like him cause he is out of the big ten.wounder what number he will have ? i saw that he was #16 in sd.if the o line protects better than last year , they will do great this season.we r niners!!!

10. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

IHOP I have to agreed with what your saying.
    Iam glad they kept XAVIER TOLZIEN GOOD PICKUP

11. By rob on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

this is a good pick-up Chargers will regret letting him go!

12. By Matt on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping the Niners would pick him up. When I saw he was put onto waivers, I thought WTF? Why did SD risk that? Damn. Let’s GET HIM. Go Trent, go Jim! Grab! Grab! Awesome move.

13. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I can remember a player we pickup form the chargers
    FRED DEAN now in HOF

14. By pinotguy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I like this move a lot.

(Tolzien realizes though, that he cannot have “#16″, right?)

15. By john a on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien is more “advanced” (in MY opinion) than Kaepernick, so I’m really glad he’s on the squad. Let’s hope Smith has good games so that these 2 back-ups have time to develop!

16. By TMon on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Does this mean the end of Kaepernick?

17. By chester on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

BAALKE, BAALKE,DON’T PUT TOIZIEN ON THE STUBID PRACTICE SQUAD !!!! sOMEONE WILL CLAIM HIM, PUT HIM ON THE ROSTER, GET RID ONE OF ONE OF THE WR, LIKE CRABTREE.

18. By Shawn on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I agree with chester, they should put him on the roster so another team can’t claim him. However, can’t the team only have 2 quarterbacks on the active roster?

19. By pekelo44 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

good luck hater sittin on the bench this year woooooo

20. By Jose on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m so freaking happy that the Niners picked up Tolzien because I wanted them to draft him in the seventh round when he was still available. If the Niners hadn’t drafted Kaepernick in the second round I wanted them to draft T. Taylor, Tolzien, or P. Devlin and they at least got one of them.

21. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad they kept Xavier Omon, he is a great RB. And this new QB, awesome choice. We are on our way to an exciting season. Fans are going to rejoice with such a great season of wins. We are going to win the west and maybe even the Superbowl, WOW, I am so excited. God Bless the 49er team!

22. By jpitt404 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien is a good fit because Wisconsin was a run first team like SF will be this year. He will be good at managing games if he gets in….or when he gets in I should say. Alex looks great until he yells hike and then he looks completely uncomfortable and unconfident. He reminds be of Trent Dilfer. Suposedly very smart but you rarely see it translate on the field. By all accounts he’s a good guy but that doesn’t mean he can play QB at this level. He will be a great backup QB-good when there is no pressure to be good or expectations to win.

23. By SIONE on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

SWEET PICKUP! THIS DUDE CAN PLAY!

24. By chris baltierra on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

this is funny i was watching the game since i live in sd but i’m a niners fan, i told everyone this would happen i said watch the niners are going to pick him up….i think its a great pick up he looke like a great leader atleast worth a trade later

25. By adam on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I really like this pick up. Tolzien looked very good in the pre season, alot better than most rookies did. I believe he will be able to come in and compete with CK for the backup role. I must say i am a little worried if Alex gets injured or struggles because then we will be forced to throw one of these rookies in, last time we did that it didnt turn out too well.

26. By 805faithful on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I was watching that game vs the Chargers and i told my wife I see some potential in this Tolzien guy. She’s a Charger fan and I told her that I hope the Chargers let him go and we pick him up. 1st wish granted. 2. Playoffs????????

27. By abe37 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I really like this kid Tolzien… When watching the Chargers vs OUR 49ers I kept telling my brother how much I liked this kids playing style.. He has a quick release and is accurate.. He is a rookie and still needs some time to mature as a QB but I think he can be a very good QB for the west coast offense.. We need Alex to stay healthy and to be consistant this year so that we wont need our rookie Qbs to be thrown into the fire so soon.. Im excited to see how this kid florishes…
    I hope he is able to get #12 like when he was in college cause nobody will ever wear Joe “ccol” Montanas #16 with our niners again………….aah i cant wait till our first game vs the SHEhawks!!! 49ERS FO LIFE!!!

28. By Rick on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I love this move !! I was hoping they would get him when I saw that San Diego droped him. He looked pretty sharp thursday night and showed some poise.

29. By Joshua87 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

First off I am a die hard 49er fan and have been all my life before everyone jumps what I am about to say. Tolzien I agree is a good pick up he had a solid pre-season with the Chargers and Harbaugh will be a great coach to groom him but… All of you who are saying we have a chance at the superbowl or are going to the superbowl are trippin. We will not see a superbowl chance for at least a couple of years. This whole team has to develop and that takes time. We are young and talented and in a new system. There will be growing pains. I would not expect to win the west this year honestly i think it ill be the Rams and the niners will battle with Arizona to finish 2nd. I can’t wait to see my 49ers back in the playoffs and it looks to be exciting future but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

30. By rushrokken on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Scott Tolzien will be a great addition to the 49er offense since he is already familiar with the current offensive scheme. He was outstanding running that offense at Wisconsin where, like the 49ers, they ran the football and ran the football a lot. I was pleasantly surprised that the Chargers released him, especially based on his performance on Thursday night. Under the guidance of Jim Harbaugh, who knows, he could be game ready before Colin Kaepernick is ready to go as Alex Smith’s backup.

31. By rushrokken on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

There are reports out there saying that the 49ers have claimed LB Tavares Gooden from the Ravens, and that he may already be signed. Please, 49ers, do not release Demarcus Dobbs to make room for this acquisition. He is a diamond in the rough. With the abundance of DL on the roster, the next roster cut is probably going to be there.

32. By Happy Niners Fan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like things are starting to reverse direction. First Harbaugh drafts based on talent and ignores the hype (Its about time). Second, he brings the west coast offense back (Why we let it go in the first place Ill never know). Third, he is letting Alex Smith call audibles if needed (No wonder he was taking a beat down, its hard to put up points when your not allowed to use common sense on the field). Finally, he signs this guy which means 2 young quarter backs to groom behind Alex. I like what Im seeing, now its all about the team learning the offense and gelling and we have the makings of something special… Go Niners!!!

33. By jrparker on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Wow, did we ever score on Tolzien. He is the most impressive rookie QB I ;have seen thus far. The guy was extremely cool in the pocket and was throwing the ball like he has been playing pro ball for years.

34. By jrparker on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

We need to sign Tolzien to a five year contract right now. This guy is the real deal.

35. By John Perez on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Crazy man, after the Niners/Chargers game I thought surely the bolts wouldnt let Tolzien go.Cool the football gods are smiling down on Niner Nation. Damb good move.

36. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

everybody should watch how he handle qb at wisconson
    mental toughness I WOULD HAVE TO AGREED jrparker

37. By jsteinley on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I watched him playing Thursday and thought how was this kid undrafted, and how did we not get him…….. If the Bolts are stupid and drop him we should grab him….. Wow what great fortune for us!

38. By chris on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I wish there was room for L/B Kenny Rowe, I thought he had a great preseason and outplayed the Monte Simmons. Also what a wasted pick on WR Ronald Johnson cant even get on the practice squad… what a shame

39. By frank on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

i hope the coach has alot of time for alex smith he looks good then the next week he shouldnt even play for a high school team
    but we will see what and whom he is once we open with seattle
    and history has shown even with number 16 and 8 seattle has our number
    go niners
    fm a long time faithful fm kesiar days

40. By NorthLongBeach49erFanSinceBirth on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I know chester didnt say release crabtree so we can put tolzien on the squad lmao…. hahahahahahaha seriously? he’s gd where he’s at. on the practice squad if anything I say we release one of our dt’s or safety’s

41. By NorthLongBeach49erFanSinceBirth on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m trippin lol they released Kristik to make room ok that was smart cuz i dint like kristik that much anyway

42. By BTDynamo on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I thought this guy looked great against the 9ers in pre-season. Here’s hoping coach can develop him into a legit QB. Great pick up 9ers!

43. By tom in nj on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Tolz did show some good things..not bad pic up but at end of year we have 2 inexper QB? Clemens from redskins got cut….Vet QB worth a look! GO NINERS

44. By Jeff on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Thank you basegod!

45. By HeavyMetal9er on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I was watching Tolzien in the Bolts game thinking even though Rivers is the best QB in the NFL, Tolzien should be making Rivers nervous. This was an excellent pickup. Trained in the west coast offense, a connection to the 9er staff, very accurate and a Joe Cool feel to him. I think Kap is a good QB, but it will take a while for him to develop, so I expect Tolzien to soon be the primary backup. If Smith falters or is injured later in the season, Tolzien may just get the nod. I am getting an old timey deja vos big Bill and that skinny kid Joe feeling. This could get interesting…

46. By pekelo44 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

yeahhhhhh a new face is a welcomed face GO NINERS!!

47. By shaun on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

drop d.walker sign konrad he is the truth and tolzien is also playoffs this year if everything goes rt for us smith wont last at qb jh you have to pull the plug on him and dont let him talk his way back on the field ilove kap and tolzien finally something good future a lil brighter lego niners.

48. By eric colleton on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

the team really needs a QB real bad time for the playoffs this year,a team with the talent we have should be dangerous in the NFC.Alex Smith needs stop playing and get serious a first round draft pick,haven’t been to the playoffs yet. Sam Bradford went to the playoffs his first year.Time to get to the next level this year, I get tired of people calling my team sorry or were not going anywhere shock the NFC.The team has a winning tradition not a bad tradition.This team better be in the playoffs in 2011.

49. By fredammer on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

very goob move for the 49ers

50. By Shon on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

@shaun….maaan you are seriously trippin. Delanie Walker is a better TE than Konrad…he’s the better player hands down. Secondly, why would you wish for A. Smith to not last. If he lasts it’s probably because he is playing well, which is exactly what we NEED for him to do. Why is people want to throw rookies in the game before they are ready. C.K. is not game ready, neither is Tolzien. Those guys need to sit as long as possible. If Smith is playing well there is no reason to rush,

51. By ny49er on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

i like this kid he did good against us

52. By ny49er on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

u r right clemens is worth a shot!

53. By ny49er on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

walker is da man a threat to other teams

54. By Corvin Lewis on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

When I watched the 49er & Charger game, I was really impressed by Tolzien and thought, wow, it is too bad we didn’t get him in the NFL draft. I don’t know what the Chargers were thinking in putting him on waivers. Isn’t a player susposed to clear waivers with the AFC before he can get claimed by an NFC team? Wow, the AFC G.M.’s must have been asleep if what I thought was true. (lucky for the 49ers).

55. By Chuck49er on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien showed some promise in the game between the 49ers. I wonder what number he’ll wear since he can’t wear 16 like he did in San Diego and in college.

56. By Darrick on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a 49er fan since I was 8 years old. I’m from Wisconsin so I’m also a Badger fan. I was hoping the 49ers would draft Tolzien, but it all ended up for the best. He is smart and accurate. He played very well at Wisconsin, so I see him pushing for the #2 spot within this year. Perfect guy for the west coast offense.

57. By Washington on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Can we FINALLY sent ALEX SMITH PACKING ,worth pick in 49er History and l have been a Fan from 1983

58. By Daniel Zanetti on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

This reminds me of a time a few years back when the Chargers let go of one of their QBs and he ended up bringing his new team to a Superbowl win! I say Tolzien is another Drew Brees situation. They will deeply regret getting rid of Tolzien,but it seems the Chargers just never learn

59. By Washington on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Great QB pick up,now west coast offense is starting to come together again””BUT PUT HIM ON THE ROSTER”we need a few spots,stronger Sp. teams,wide rec,bigger faster corners and one LB that can run you down and stop the run.LET GO 49,ERS (I STILL THINK WE WILL BE 2011 RECORD 7-9)

60. By 49ersfolife on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Eeryone is getting me hypt up reading post. I cant wait for the game sunday to eat some bird.

61. By lu on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

i was a somewhat impressed with tolzien..he should do a good job if he gets the chance,,,smith need someone looking over his shoulder.7 years is a long time not doing anything..but i still thing its the owners fault not known what a football look likes. eddy d i miss u……please come back and bult a championship team

62. By John Kreutzmann on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien looked very good on Friday. They really needed a quality 3rd QB and I believe they have one now. I am glad they have two young prospects behind Alex. I have faith that coach Harbaugh will get the best out of all three QB’s. I just wish the fans would give Alex some positive support, because he deserves it. I am glad to see that Harbaugh kept three quality players from Stanford on the taxi squad. I think they are good future prospects. Konrad Reuland looked very good this preseason. He has good hands and is a very reliable receiver and he can block. Chase Beeler. and Derek Hall also looked good. Remember that Stanford had a strong offensive line and good tight ends last year. These guys can play. I watched Stanford all season and believe they have potential.

63. By 81849ERFAN on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Well fellas the time has come for are 9ers to start making some noise again. I have been waiting for us to finally get some big play WR’s, and Edwards,Crabtree,Davis,Morgan and Ginn will make it hard for teams to play man. As long as we keep Alex upright, we can win the West because are D is the business. And for the record Kendall Hunter was impressive getting up the field and im glad he’s are # 2 RB. 1 more thing b4 I go….9er’s are the best team on the Madden 12 fellas. My game tag is PAKOIMA12700 on PS3 if anybody wants a game send me a friend request…..GO 9ERS

64. By Go BUCKY on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Tolzien is a great addition to the team. Im a big Wisconsin fan and hope he has a great NFL career. Hes very accurate and is cool under pressure

65. By lorenzo on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

What about the number 3, i don’t like that number for the future qb of the 49ers.

66. By HeavyMetal9er on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

The Chargers really liked Scott Tolzien, and he had an impressive pre-season. They saw him as a potential backup for Rivers. They were trying to sneak Tolzien onto their practice squad, despite the fact they KNEW SF was interested in him. How did that work out? Not so much. So, lets all hope Smith stays healthy and effective while the QB rooks develop. I say give Tolzien number 9. Kap is number 7. 7 + 9 = 16. If the two rooks are half as good as 16, we will really have something going on here.

67. By 9erfromsconnie on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

From the madison area AND a 9er fan What more could I ask for?

68. By 9erfromsconnie on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

By the way cardsrule….WHY ARE YOU HERE???

69. By KDB on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Harbugh and Balkke’s plan just keeps getting better and better and better. It’s a marathon, nice move.

70. By 81849ERFAN on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

David Garrard is a free agent now, can we sign him? He could be the vet that we need.

71. By Faithfulmom on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Was hoping this would happen after watching the game and hearing he might be put on waivers, kept my fingers crossed that we’d be smart enough to pick him up off the waiver wire. He’d be a great #2 and #1 next year??

72. By nooners on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

nice job no qb no defense cord good luck

73. By rushrokken on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Where Is that m0r0n, CARD’S STOOL 11, tonight? He is the definitive poster child for stupidity. The only way the Cardinals are going to go back to the Super Bowl is if they buy tickets from a scalper.

74. By NinerGal on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I’ll take just about any QB over Alex Smith BUT I was quite taken aback when I saw his jersey number…#16???? Sorry, but THAT number belongs to our beloved JOE MONTANA! Scottie boy’s gonna have to get a NEW number – that one’s taken! (and retired, actually…)

75. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I hop Payton Manning is able to retune and play
    form niner fan to the COLTS

76. By jamesy1044 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

May I suggest the #17, Scott? You know, NEXXXTT!
    As for the little punk Cards fan, he was actually a Raider/ hater. Watch yo slams beotch, this is the valley where we can track you down and F yer life like we do yer momma.

77. By ogre on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

tolzien is the real deal! heads up CK and AS the truth cometh. WE SHALL SEE!

78. By jrodica on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

kaepernick looked awful, even for a rookie. Tolzien should be 2nd not on the practice squad. i have never seen a rookie throw that well in preseason. kaepernick can run, but when have like 4 running backs for that. what ever happened to NATE DAVIS? HE NEVER EVEN GOT A SHOT LAST SEASON EVEN THROUGH HE WAS AWESOME IN THE PRESEASON. GOOD LUCK TOLZIEN!

79. By jamesy1044 on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@jrodica
    Nate is now a Colt QB, and has a long way to go. Totally agree that Tolzien will be #2 but he must earn it (even tho it looked like he did VS 9er back-up secondary!). As I stated in another post, I think he’ll be #2 before snow falls in Green Bay.
    There is a nice symmetry about Tolzien being from Wisconsin: Green Bay wins it all with a guy from Cal.. maybe in a few yrs WE win it all with a guy from Wisconsin??!!!

80. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I REMENBER TWO COACHES WE HAD
    NOW BOTH MIKES HAVE SUPER BOWLS,
    HOPFULY THAT WONT HAPPEN ANYMORE.

81. By Tarcules on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

A Smith replacement Tolzien? He throws sidearm?

82. By Tarcules on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

QB: Audible is KEY Quick reaction is KEY Ability to keep defenses OFF is KEY Mobility is KEY leadership in the huddle is KEY Accuracy is KEY…… Who found my KEYS?

83. By rjd 9ninerfan on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

hopfuly coach H can unlock all those with his key
    alax has a chance to prove himself hes been thourgh alot
    it takes 53 keys to win