Smith Distances QB Competition

Posted by Taylor Price on August 16, 2011 – 6:40 PM

If there’s any question of a lingering quarterback controversy at 49ers training camp, Jim Harbaugh may have quieted those concerns on Tuesday when he called Alex Smith’s performance his best of training camp.

And to further emphasize his pleasure with Smith’s play, the 49ers head coach also said the veteran quarterback has distanced himself from rookie Colin Kaepernick.

“Alex is coming along very well,” Harbaugh said. “I thought today he had an outstanding practice. I thought yesterday was really good and the day before that, and this was probably his best.”

The coach’s opinions were easily validated when Smith had a perfect throwing period to start the day against the 49ers second-team defense. In fact, both signal callers began the day strong. Only one of Kaepernick’s throws touched the ground in the period.

But later in practice, Kaepernick cooled off while Smith continued to connect with a number of targets.

“If you were going by today, yesterday, there’s some separation there,” Harbaugh revealed. “Alex has done a fine job, but like I said, Kap is doing a phenomenal job. He is one heck of a talent, one heck of a player.”

Harbaugh believes his first-team quarterback has progressed throughout camp, especially now that he’s had considerable practice reps under his belt.

“Alex had missed the first seven or eight practices and this was only practice No. 15, so he’s only had about eight practices,” Harbaugh detailed. “I can really go back to the last three, four, five practices and he’s just solid and getting better.”

Smith agreed. He realizes he’s more comfortable in practice and has been able to get into a rhythm with his receivers.

“I felt better the last few days, kind of getting back in the groove of things,” Smith said. “I’m throwing it well, seeing things well, but there’s still a lot left ahead of me.”

Smith said he’s been too focused on his own play to notice if there’s such a margin between he and Kaepernick. What matters most to the former No. 1 overall pick are the relationships being developed with his offensive teammates.

“I feel great about how the offense is set up, how we install, how we watch film,” Smith said. “We’re together… There’s really one voice.”

Tags: , ,

156 Responses to “Smith Distances QB Competition”

1. By brad on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

this kills me. it’s gonna be the same old thing b/c we have heard all this jibber jabber before the last 4 or 5 seasons with Alex. Blah blah blah. Losing season…again!

2. By Eleven on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

……..ELEVEN (!)

3. By 9ersFan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Whatever the case, Alex has a way of getting through to the coaches. He’s obviously a hard working, likable guy. Is he a star quarterback? Previous seasons say no … but he’s got another shot. Let’s hope the new coaching arrangement changes all of this. I for one, am going to support the team no matter what. There are few other options, like running with a rookie (as talented as he is) bound to make as many mistakes. Alex may not be the fans first choice and he wasn’t mine but I have his back as a 9er fan and hope this year is his golden egg.

4. By bryan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

PRACTICE!!….PRACTICE!!..WE TALKIN ABOUT PRACTICE!! NOT THE GAME BUT PRACTICE!! lol we need a REAL qb

5. By Jack on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Maybe this is Harbaugh’s plan…he’s going to keep developing Kap until he’s ready to take over and then…BAM POW KAPOOT…he’s gonna surprise us with an excellent QB ready to lead the 49ER’s into a new Dynasty

6. By Richard on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

“The coach’s opinions were easily validated when Smith had a perfect throwing period to start the day against the 49ers second-team defense”

The SECOND team defense? What a joke

I am officially tired of hearing the same thing week in/week out, year in/year out.

That is all we hear is how impressive Alex Smith has been in practice, yet it never translates into game performance. We might win 5 games with this guy this year.

7. By Kurt on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Once again here we go!!!!! I would like to have Garcia instead!!!!

8. By Hermie on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I would certainly hope with 6yrs. under his belt he could distance himself from the rookie. Only real-time action will show if it carries over. For the 9ers (and fans) sake…I hope Harbaugh can keep him focused…but we HAVE heard all of this before.

9. By TEXAS 9ER on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

wtf?…wut does this guy have on the staff makes me wonder!!!!!

10. By Woody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

C’mon number 11!!! I’m pulling for you!! I believe you were headed in the right direction after Norv started and then injury prehistoric Jimmy Ray offense.

11. By 805faithful on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

All i here is he’s good in practice but we all know how good he is on Sundays.

12. By Shane on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

That’s great. He did really against the second-team defense. What about the first team? The sad thing is right now our QB isn’t getting time to throw the ball. Alex Smith has never been great, but if he has to rush a throw it’s bad news. Hopefully, the Oline steps it up and at least gives our qb’s a chance to play.

13. By zilla414 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I think Alex Smith would be considered a top tier quarterback- if he had a good system. Payton Manning has been in 3 systems- 1 in High School- 2 in College- 3 in Indy. Alex is in his 6th system since being a Niner. This season Alex will flourish in this system- like he did in Norv Turner’s- before he left for San Diego.

14. By Woody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I just want to understand, as a fan what someone thinks their going to help if you boo him on his way out on the field? As a fan I want them to win, so I wouldn’t discourage him as he takes the field. I truly fell things will look better this week.

15. By niner4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

hahahaha you know how i feel about alex smith! j r baca from new mexico loves alex smith!!!!

16. By visalia559 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

com on coach harbuagh bring in a quarterback we can win a chapionship with not a wash up guy whos had more then a second chance. alex got to go, he had his chance he cant deliver hes better off somewhere on the bench

17. By mata on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

&*%$ all these alex smith haters

18. By Sara on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Same story, different season. When will they learn Smith is garbage?

19. By hercboy on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

alex smith is garbage harbaugh is throwin this season for andrew luck who might turn out to be a bum too

20. By Atoms2Adam on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe Harbaugh is falling for the hype. This guy (Alex) has become a millionare for free. Defenses are getting faster every year, but not Alex Mollases Smith. He was washed up 4 years ago

21. By Norman Belton on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers are only going to be as strong as there weakest link.. And when that weakest link is the most important man that has the most touchs of ball during the game it equals another losing season… Alex Smith MUST GO…. And anyone could look good against a second team defense give me a break!

22. By mark anthony on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

look quit crying , its preseason . these people have invested millions of dollars into this team , they are built to win and they will . you are just one person that wants to win now , these people no winning brings in the money and thats what they want and they will get it . so just sit back and enjoy the ride

23. By mark anthony on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

know

24. By Adam on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

As 49er fans we have to have faith in our coaches and in Alex Smith. I know its frustrating watching him the past couple years, but he has shown glimpses of solid play. So lets hope Harbaugh can turn those glimpses into consistancy

25. By huntbomb72 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

it’s hear not here

26. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

HERE WE GO AGAIN, THE ALEX SMITH HATERS ARE BACK THINKING THAT THEY KNOW IT ALL, THEY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS. THE REGULAR SEASON HAS NOT STARTED AND HERE YOU GO AGAIN BASHING OUR TEAM. YOU HAVEN’T EVEN GIVEN COACH JIM HARBAUGH A CHANCE, HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING, THAT IS WHY THEY PAY HIM MILLIONS PER YEAR. I’M STARTING TO THINK THAT THESE ALEX HATERS ARE FROM OTHER TEAMS. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A LOCK-OUT IS? THE TEAM AND MANY OTHERS HAVE NOT PRACTICED THAT MUCH. GIVE IT CHANCE, EVERY OTHER COACH BEFORE HARBAUGH THAT COACHED SMITH SUCKED, HARBAUGH IS GOING TO TURN THINGS AROUND. IN 2010 ALEX PUT OUT BETTER NUMBERS THEN MOST QB’S FROM OTHER TEAMS:

HIGHEST TD PERCENTAGE AMONG ACTIVE TEAMMATES
    Quarterback Receiver TDs Total TDs Pct.
    1. Matt Ryan Roddy White 26 66 39.4%

5. David Garrard, Jax. 42 27 64.3 16

27. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I AGREE WITH Mata

28. By JasonXFlash on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

In Smith I trust.

29. By rob on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

sign Culpepper and stop with this XYZ talk Greg Roman you sound stupid.

30. By missouri 9er on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

We all have our own view of Alex ( personally i give the guy points for what he has gone thru and for not hanging the team out to dry thru the lockout, just think how far behind the team would be now ). Lets atleast not cast stones at the guy until we see how the season is going to play out.

31. By JS on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

For that one comment….I believe Harbaugh should be let go…because he just demonstrated how stupid he can be…….

32. By Larry Zangari on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@JrBaca your an idiot, smith has never produced, stats mean nothing if you don’t WIN GAMES, so you can shove those numbers where the sun don’t shine. Alex Smith is a “C” QB, other teams backups are better than our starter and thats just a fact. We as 49er fans can only hope to get a first rate college QB like Andrew Luck but at any rate a used up on his way out QB like Kurt Warner or even a Matt Lienart would make me happy, somebody that could at least mentor the rookie we have. Smith is one of the biggest NFL disappiontments EVER, he’s killed two coaches so far and if Jimmy goes with him the entire year, things will not look good for him either.

33. By jborbons on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

34. By missouri 9er on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Like rob i would like to see them bring in Culpepper or maybe Bulger if he would come back, just to have some sort of safety net in case of injury or poor play.

35. By SergioM on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Cmon….

WE NEED TO MOVE THE CHAINS!!!
    That simple for NOW

36. By Hermie on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

You can throw out all the stats you want…why don’t you put up the won/loss record/stats and the interception numbers…you can make numbers say any thing you want…they say unemployment is only 9% when in reality it is at least double that!! I hope to heck Alex plays his arse off…proof is in the pudding!! I will root for him because I AM a 9er fan…just because people criticise Alex and doesn’t think he has it (after 6yrs) does not make them “non-fans”!! Talk to me when you have been a fan over 40yrs!!

37. By Cedrick in WA on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I really think Coach H is looking at losing the season n getting first pick at Andrew Luck in next years Draft…….Another Losing Season w/ Alex Smith!!!

38. By rico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Alex, make like Nike and just do it. Prove you can use that gun and shoot down all that talk about QB this and QB that. Just Do It!

39. By John 23 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

To those that argue that Alex Smith has six years of experience I would point out that he actually has just a little over 3 years of on the field experience due to injury and bench time. Now if all that time was under one system even the time not played would have value. But it has been under 6 different systems. He actually showed progress under the only decent coordinator in the lot.

40. By patty49er on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I hope Harbaugh knows what he’s talking about, because it’s been a long time since I’ve felt like the 49ers have given me something to cheer about. Lately, it’s been “as long as they don’t lose to the *%$#@ Raiders.” Frankly, I’m getting a little tired of it. Do you know how much freakin’ Sunday Ticket costs so I can watch 49er games in Southern California? I’m trying not to be an Alex Smith hater…okay, I’ll admit it. I’ve been an Alex Smith hater for years. I hope they sign Daunte Culpepper and I hope that scares Alex Smith sh*tless. I think Harbaugh should have some friendly competition between the two, and let the better man be starter. Listen, I just want to win some games and maybe make it to the play-offs. I’m getting sick of my high school students who are Colts, Broncos, Cowboys, and Dolphins fans giving me crap every week for how MY team plays. (The Raiders fans usually just hang their heads in shame.)

41. By Thomas on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I believe in whatever Harbaugh says and does. Hes the man with the plan!

42. By Ryan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Alex, I think you should buy your O-line dinner if you don’t get sacked. Maybe that will get them to block for ya. I know the Saints were blitz happy but seriously…the blocking sucked (the blindside that Vernon gave up, Chilo got beat up the middle, Anthony got straight up beat, Adam got blasted back into the pocket). I also think you should pump yourself up a little before a game. I have some really fast and aggresive Death Metal music if you need some. Man I wish I could be on the sidelines…Just effin win guys.

43. By missouri 9er on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Coach H moved up in the draft to get Kap. He wanted him as his QB of the future, if he was wanting to wait on Luck noway he does that. He may have done ok with luck in colledge but he also knows what Luck brings and he obviously liked Kap better.

44. By abe37 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

J R Baca is right.. before he got hurt last yr Alex was doing a pretty good job and he was on his second coordinator in just that yr. Someone that kniws Alex personally told me that with Nolan and Singletary there was never any talk about schemes on how to beat their next opponents. Meaning they didn’t have good Head Coaches just good position Coaches that shouldn’t be there.. Lets have faith on our Coaches because their job is to WIN games and they will put the best players out there to win. Gooooo 49ERS!!!!!

45. By Hermie on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I too don’t believe Harbaugh is tanking the season…I truly believe he thinks he has a future QB in CK and is progressing nicely. As we all know being great in college does not always translate into being a great NFL player and you don’t tank a season to take a “chance” on a college player coming into the NFL. Coaches know they had better win now or they may not get a chance later!!

O-line will come together as that was a make shift line in the the 1st preseason game. Goodwin is a Pro Bowler and will be in there by the start of regular season calling out the a_signments. We are a very young O-line and they take time to develop as a rule.

46. By Adam on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I hate when people who know nothing about football or sports come in and say “The niners are throwing the season and getting luck” No head coach or GM would ever do that. They would be sacrificing not only their jobs but their fans as well. Every team in the NFL is going to try their hardest to win, And with what happened with the lockout Harbaugh believes that resigning Alex was the best option we had, and who are we to say we know more about football than Harbaugh. Just shut up and be a Niner Faithful

47. By 44 Fan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

QB. Smith may do well. I hope so. History states. He lacks the ability to be a play maker. A high percentage of plays that effect a games outcome are when in the course are when a play is broken. Two, inaccurate arm, touch short and long. 3. Finding someone open when the play has broken or he is about to be sacked. Prove me wrong this year. I only speak what I have seen.

48. By 44 Fan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

My previous comment talked to Alex’s history. His first game this ripe for direction for improvement.
    OL- Until last year I had seen an effort to improve the OL. We have not had a good one since Randy Cross was playing. It starts there on both sides and I am sure Coach Harbaugh understands the importance. We played some seasons well with quarterbacks that were at the tops of evading the rush and they still ended up on the IR. A QB needs to feel the rush and react, and at the same time this team has not had a quality OL Since Montana.

49. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Hermie, I have been a 49er fan since 1975 when their coach was Dick Nolen, QB J

50. By Dugovic on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

To 49ers friends
    Well ,i believing all kinds unbelievable.
    I seen Alex Smith with Saints,and it was not much different than his rookie year.
    i say it was abut same.Now what is happening inside 49ers ,is just politic.I bet my left aye , that Colin Kaepernick,not getting same treatment and opportunity.I mean, Alex Smith making by the side deals,and his mouth go to side to.Just look at his face,if you need prove!And that my 49ers friend is reason to bet my another aye,that 49ers will be have very bad season!

51. By zilla414 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

ANDREW LUCK- will not be drafted by the Niners. No legitimate competitor will ever tank- or lay down- EVER.

Harbaugh is a competitor- if he is anything. Coach H will get this thing turned around and restore this Franchise.

Kap is solid as far as Rookies go- however- he will need at least another off season- more like two- in order to come in and be affective. No reason to rush him along.

This team is going to surprise everybody- and yes that means you.

52. By Kevin on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith SUCKS,Why do you put the fans threw this yer after year.

53. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Dugovic, what planet are you from? you make no sense whats so ever. The 49ers are going to have the best season ever.

54. By 44 Fan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

God Bless Coach McKittrick

55. By Hermie on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Baca you are close to being a 9er fan as long as I have…several years shy. I appreciate your feelings and thoughts, but they are no more legitimate than mine and I do not call the other people names or haters for their feelings!! I am not necessarily saying you do, but many have been.

56. By Kevin on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

1 Question,Why would you re sign a guy who will never go to the Hall of Fame.Start the rookies so they can learn and grow into great Quaterbacks and Make us Great again.

57. By 44 Fan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

why r my comments awaiting moderation and awaiting and awaiting???
    Hmmm. something smells

58. By niner4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

thank you hermie! j r baca knows everything! you cant say a word on here without him crying!

59. By Randy Garner on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Only one of three active qb’s to have more interceptions than touchdowns. How’s that for stat.

60. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

HERMIE, I’M JUST TIRED OF THE HATE, BACK IN THE 70′S AND 80′S WE HAD OUR UPS AND DOWNS, WE NEVER WOULD HATE ANY OF OUR PLAYERS, WE WOULD SUPPORT OUR TEAM AS A WHOLE, NO MATTER WHO DID BAD, WE WOULD BUILD OUR TEAM UP. NOW A DAYS WE HAVE THE WORLD WIDE WEB, WHICH IS GREAT, WE COULD TALK TO EACH OTHER ANYWHERE THERE IS INTERNET SERVICE BUT THERE IS A LOT OF HATE ALSO. WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NOT ALL ALEX’S FAULT, IT IS THE TEAM AS A WHOLE. I DO APOLOGIZE IF I WAS A BIT HARSH TOWARDS OTHER FANS, I JUST DON’T LIKE THE HATE. I AM A STRONG BELIEVER THAT IF ALEX SMITH DOES NOT DO WELL AS A STARTER, THEY WILL SIT HIM DOWN. HE HAS A GREAT COACH NOW, HE WILL DO WELL IF HE WANTS TO KEEP HIS JOB. WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER AS FANS AND SUPPORT OUR WHOLE TEAM, NOT JUST A SET FEW.

GO 49ERS…….SUPERBOWL BOUND>>>>>>>

61. By Dugovic on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Well my 49ers friends,
    Alex Smith reminds me Garcia “politician”.In Garcia time 49ers go down to dryer,and Garcia was 100 times better OB. than Smith.

62. By Jose on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Im willing to give A. Smith one last chance to show me that he can be our for years to come but if he fails than we can start to finally move on from him. The worst that can happen is we have the worst record and we get a top 3 pick in next year’s draft .Also next year’s draft will have three first round quarterbacks to pick from if the Niners decide to go that route #1 A. Luck, #2 L. Jones, and #3 M. Barkley .

63. By zilla414 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

When blockers don’t pick up the blitz and the QB gets sacked- thats when the “fan” blames the QB. Much like Dugovich does.

When a team needs some Personnel help- the fan wants the big name Free Agents.

I’ve been following the Niners since they drafted my favorite player ever- Ronnie Lott- out of Southern Cal in 81. I didn’t even watch Pro football until then. Now I am a NINER DISCIPLE- loyal to the bone. Celebrating 30 seasons of loyalty this year.

I’ll leave the pettiness to the fans…..

The Niners have been among the most talented teams in the league- for years and have not played to their potential. I believe now they will maximize every bit of potential they have and will win the West- getting back into the Playoffs.

64. By Woody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I like to see these fans supporting the team, instead of being whiners.

65. By Z9ers on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

People go look at alex smiths stats the last two years and compare them to mark sanchezs. Remember the jets have been 1 game away from the dance 2 years in a row. That’s the deference in having a real coaching staff,
    Real number one receiver, great o line, and a defense that keeps them in every game and gets stops when they have to. I mean really people look at our coaches since mooch. Erickson average college coach, Nolan, average d.c., sing, position coach. Give J.H. A chance he has won every place he has been as a head coach and lay off Alex for a year and support your team. What I am seeing so far I think this is the first time in a while we can do good things this year. I think that we finally have a staff that will adjust and fix the problems.

66. By Hermie on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Well…let’s hope we get off to a great start or you will hear more Alex bashing than ever before I am afraid…I am not an Alex fan, but I will give Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt and hope/pray Alex can string something together. I just don’t feel he is an NFL starter…hope after 6yrs. he does prove us wrong!!

67. By Jose on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m willing to give A. Smith one last chance to prove if he can be our quarterback of the future and if he fails than we can just start to move on the worst that can happen is we have a losing record and we end up with a top three pick in next year’s draft. There will be three first round quarterbacks to choose from if the Niners decide to go that route #1 A. Luck, #2 L. Jones, and #3 M. Barkley.

68. By john a on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I realize it’s VERY hard to find a reason to think that Alex Smith can lead the 49ers offense. The only thing I can say is that WE HAVE TO GIVE HARBAUGH THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT (For now!) One thing is for sure, though: Kaepernick is VERY RAW but he has HUGE amount of natural talent. His mobility and his arm are both outstanding… I hope he can be developed for the future. For now, however, we’re stuck with Alex. Let’s see what happens.

69. By Dugovic on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Well zilla,
    you seam to me that you rely 49er. But i am not pessimistic.I just look how another NFL club deal with same QB situation,and how 49ers! And each 49ers coaching staff, one after another .

70. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

AND IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON UNTIL WE GET IT RIGHT.

GOOD NIGHT 49ER FAITHFUL AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

GO 9ERS…….

71. By 'dOnTtRadeMays on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

NO MORE CHANCES FOR SMITH, YOU FANS WANTING TO GIVE HIM ONE MORE CHANCE ARE CRAZY!! CANT BLAME THE LINE IF HE ISNT SHOWING ANY LEADERSHIP AND VERBALLY TELLING THEM TO START BLOCKING.

72. By Lauren Brent on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

There’s a reason we’re called the 49ers faithful, and I don’t think it’s so we can give up on our quarterback before the season’s even started. I was very impressed with how much Smith had improved during the sunday practice (the last drive was fantastic, regardless of the fact that they didn’t score), and I feel like he would have had a good game against the Saints had the O-line done their job.

Either way, I think Harbaugh knows what he’s doing, and I don’t doubt Alex is doing very well out there. I’m looking forward to what he’ll do this season.

73. By Dugovic on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Well 49ers friends,
    Seams to me that,you all are long time 49ers.you all have fulfill your exceptions with 49ers previously seasons.I do not see jet any better 49ers just because of QB.I do not see better Alex Smith.And ,newer will be seen that ,and reason is he can not change who is he.And i am so sure of that,that betting for that!

74. By 49erKIDD on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

what happen with culpepper? i was kinda looking forward to that! i wanted to see what he gots.

75. By Z9ers on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Yep ur right he should tell five other guys that r getting paid to do a job to do their jobs. That’s what I’m talking about it’s not the lines fault they didn’t block it’s Alex smiths fault they didn’t block because he didn’t tell them to block. Well I see ur point and if the hers go back to their old hiring practices, u should turn in a resume, ur a shoe-in.

76. By niner4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

well the only time i see alex smith doing good is when im playing madden! alot of us are just tired of him! atleast he will beat the raiders this weekend! no matter how bad we are we still beat the raiders!!!

77. By alex on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!! AND FUK THE RAIDERS CUZ WERE GOING TO WIN..

78. By zilla414 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Niner faithful keep in mind- Alex Smith is making the same money- as a starter that Matt Leinart is- as a back up.

Most of these critics- wouldn’t last a day in the trenches- evaluating talent and allocating resources. They would watch a high light reel- listen to some agents HYPE and then over pay for a big name- like the Raiders did with TE Kevin Boss.

I’m a huge SC fan- watched Sanchez grow up in front of my eyes and he is NOT better than Alex- not even close.

I wonder how many of you critics thought Rich Gannon was an MVP Quarterback? Hmmmm- lets say none of you- just to be safe. Then Gruden got a hold of him- plugged him into a system- and the rest is HISTORY…….

79. By KDB on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

There’s a reson Harbaugh coaches and we listen because we know NOTHING. I told many of you, like it or not right now Alex is the man.

If you want to clap for your team a not give up before the season begins then great common board. If you don’t, then you CLEARLY don’t UNDERSTAND the game.

It’s EZ to be NEGATIVE how sad for you.

Go Niners, this is the way it is so let’s see it work.

80. By mike fan1 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

i’ll have some of what jr baca is drinking that must be some good stuff …

81. By mike on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

This kid Alex Smith takes FOREVER to learn a playbook and to apply whats learned at a high (consistent ) level. With Cord. Norv Turner he showed promise, but didn’t perform at the level that he should have. He struggled with the playbook and the mechanics of the game. His coach at Utah even said Smith won’t ever be good till he knows the X’s and O’s of the Play-Book, and that it takes him a couple of yrs to do. Years?!?!! is a luxury he doesn’t have anymore..Point is, he’ ll be in his 9th or 10h season before he can function at a high level ( which he can’t) the playbook coach J.H is teaching him..Another 7-9 or 8-8 season, and his play or progression wont be much different then when Norv Turner was in the house..

82. By caballoLocox on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

@Adam

I know its frustrating watching him the past couple years…

not COUPLE its been…….7 YEARS!!!!!

83. By derek ellis on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

i dont understand you guys who hate on smith maybe he takes so long to learn a playbook because we have a new offensive coordinator every year. and we change coaches every year and every coach weve had in the last 5 years have wanted to run the football constantly there play calling is terrible J.H runs west coast offense something smith can actually work with because he is the one making the plays. As much as i cant believe im saying this smith is going to be a great qb this year were going to the playoffs because no one in our division will have a winning record.

84. By big mike on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

alex smith i dont know? we need to do something before the team start breaking apart and start going to other teams

85. By TP on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I SAY WE TRADE ALEX SMITH AND JR BACA IN NEW MEXICO FOR DAUNTE CULPEPPER.

86. By TP on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

IF WE KEEP LOSING AND HARBAUGH GETS FIRED JR BACA IN NEW MEXICO SHOULD BE OUR NEXT COACH!!! MOUNTAINTOP!!!!

87. By PAninersfan on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

dont worry true niner fans. to the haters. it will all blow up in there faces when smith comes out strong. i mean look how he looked in 2010 preseason. then totally different when the season started. the niners are just using this preseason as practice. NOT GOING ALL IN. but when alex comes out looking better than ever. all these haters will be like I NEVER HATED ON HIM!!!!!!! then they will go out get his jersey like nothing every happen.

88. By John on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Same old story. The guy practices great, but when its game time and the real heat is coming for him, he folds. I guess Harbaigh has to see it for himself, like anything he says will help Alex with his nerve. Does he not realize that you can’t encourage nerve, or teach courage. You either have it or you don’t. Alex doesn’t have it. Just more waste of time. Cut this guys and lets move on!!

89. By PAninersfan on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

i have almost every jersey for the team. even alex smiths. im a 49er fan have been for a loooooong time. the point is, is that know matter if smith sucks or not. I WILL ALWAYS BE A FAN OF AAAAALLLL THE PLAYERS. DONT MATTER IF THEY ARE HAVEN PROBLEMS OR NOT. I WILL ALWAYS BE A REAL FAN. what this team needs is lovers not haters. so all you haters out there can go take your NEGATIVITY BULLSH** somewhere else. GOOOOOO ALEX, AN THE REST OF THE 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

90. By StoneDog81 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

He’s our QB and Ima support him. New season of football. Hope he can lead this team to a winning season.

91. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I AGREE WITH YOU PAninersfan, I DON’T OWN A SINGLE JERSEY, I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE LEATHER JACKET, SEVERAL CAPS AND MY MAROON HUMMER PLASTERED WITH NINER DECALS, I REPRESENT THE WHOLE TEAM, NOT JUST ONE OR TWO. AND TP DON’T HATE ON ME. AND I WOULD NEVER WANT TO BE THE NEXT COACH, I’M TO RICH, DON’T NEED THE JOB. LIVING A GREAT LIFESTYLE! IT DOESN’T REALLY MATTER WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME OR OTHER 49ER FAITHFUL. ALL YOU HATERS ARE GOING TO EAT YOUR WORDS THIS SEASON.

AND ALEX, YOUR DOING A FINE JOB, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

GO SUPERBOWL BOUND 49ERS…….

92. By ninerfan4life on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

wtf? last nigt i read that alex has seperated himself because he’s had “great practices” and now i read that yesterday’s “greatness” was against the second team defense? i also read that harbaugh said that to not add a 3rd qb is “rolling the dice” … and counting on smith is not????? C”MON MAN!!!!

93. By Joe Woulard on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Look enough is enough, after seven years there should not be any question to are you good enough to start for the Niners. Is Alex related to the owner? because I cant unerstand him still being the starter, and all of the QB s in the draft what is going on here? and I been a Niner fan for 40 yrs.

94. By tom in NJ on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Good to hear the confidence but,Not having a 2nd option isn’t smart.Saints released Stinchcomb! Sign him at least…

95. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

If you know Harbaugh and followed him, he’s a winner and this team will be no different. They will fight to the end and we will win a superbowl under this guy, when I don’t know but some of you ladies need to get on the bus or go somewhere else.

96. By and thats a wrap on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

LOL a few throws against the second team offense and the I love Alex T-shirts come out of the closet. Hopefully Alex don’t make everyone come out arm in arm like the Seattle game. I mean everyobne is saying because he did ok against 2nd team defense that the whole team is going to the superbowl. Be realistic the whole team was slow at the Saints game we are going to need some time to gel. The offense is going to have to hold onto the ball for more than 3 and out so the defense gets some kind of rest. You cant expect the defense to not give up any points when they are on the field the whole game….no defense could. Considering the accuracy of Smith is well not so good with more practice and bout 5 or 6 games to get used to speed maybe he can get in a few wins this season bout 4 maybe 5. Reality is a hard pill to swallow…but if he does well enough he might be good trade bait for a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year. Now that is something to cheer about.

97. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Again-Some of you GIRLS better get ready because this team is going to be very competitive.

98. By 40 9er 4 life on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

i know we shouldnt hate on alex smith, but bottom line he hasnt done anything for us in 5 years and look what we do we go out an offer him a 5 mil a year deal thats nuts thats too much money to offer a losing qb they shouldve gave him 1-2 max. now i see jr baca saying yea dont hate your not real fans thats bs, we have a say in what goes on with our team, us season ticket holders who pay a lot of money to watch these niners every sunday at the stick, not pretend fans that live in new mexico, a state with no football !!!!

99. By wickedmpulse on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Alex has already made his fortune so money isn’t his motivating factor. He seems to genuinely want to have success in the NFL. Even if he doesn’t ever pan out, I will always respect him for giving it his best. He’s not a quitter like so many other guys that get paid and then mail it in.

100. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Blah BLah Blah—Who else is playing for the Niners, are there any lineman, running backs, DB’s, how about wideouts, do we have a team or just one guy–BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Learn the game GIRLS LEARN THE GAME—let’s look at the first 5 games. See how they do, then critique, common ladies, we can do it. Or is life just that bad for you?

101. By bobcat2u on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, that’s just wonderful !!! Best practice he’s had this year, all against the second team. How about we rate his performance against the Saints the other day. Things are a lot easier on the QB when the defense can’t touch him.

102. By RJ on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Okay I stopped reading after the 1st three paragraphs….Am I blind or Was I not watching the same game alex smith was playing??? Alex Smith has not improved at all. Yes given I know Jim’s has lots of confidence in this team and I know he will succeed but them resigning alex smith is a huge mistake. On that note Offense needs to step up and cover their QB.

103. By Ted on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Until there is an offensive line that can stop at least High School rushers it will not make any difference who is QB.

104. By z9ers on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

ONE QUESTION HOW MANY OF OUR PLAYERS HAVE PLAYED AT A HIGH LEVEL??? WILLIS, J. SMITH, DAVIS AND GORE. THE OTHER 18 STARTERS HAVE BEEN AVERAGE OR BELOW AVERAGE THAT IS COACHING. HOW MANY OF OUR DRAFT PICKS HAVE GOTTEN BETTER, OH HOW ABOUT OUR FREE AGENTS HAVE THEY GOTTEN BETTER OR EVEN PLAYED AT THE SAME LEVEL AS 49ERS, NOPE. THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN COACHING AND PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. OH AND BACK TO ALEX SMITH WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TURNER AND MARTZ ALEX HAS BEEN THE BEST OFFENSIVE MIND ON THE TEAM, COACHES INCLUDED SINCE HES BEEN HERE. THATS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER AND THATS WHAT IT HAS BEEN. NOW LETS SUPPORT OUR NEW COACH AND PLAYERS AND SEE IF IT CHANGES

105. By zilla414 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

for all of you “fans” that do not understand why Smith is the starting quarterback- maybe it’s NOT for you to understand…..

the most important thing a team can have is CHEMISTRY. with chemistry comes CONFIDENCE. Alex Smith is Loved by his teammates and a Leader in the locker room. some people just don’t get that

with a new staff and a new system- on both sides of the ball- having familiar faces is VITAL.

does anybody remember when Aaron Rodgers was running for his life last year? hmmmm- what happened there? did the coach panic and bench him? i think it worked out for Green Bay.

i’m sure you guys were all Rodgers fans right? doubt it!!!!!

and remember- Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien both won Superbowls- Rypien won the MVP in his Bowl bid.

have some knowledge about the game- before you go and spewing the rhetoric.

it’s better to be thought of as a fool- than post your opinions a leave no doubt!!!!

106. By SolYak on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Plz Jim, don’t start alex again. It’s just another new staff combo for alex to mess up another year again. Alex only proved that he’s a good back-up quarterback, not a starter. In my eyes, Colin even tho it’s his first year will do great things for the 49ers and with the coaching staff that’s going to be around for awhile will only better and benefit Colin more. Make the right decision. Alex is not the answer and should except his role as a back up.

107. By LKirven on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

how many years did the raiders give jamarcus…three seasons…how many years did the cardinals give leinart?…three seasons..same wit vince young and all the other bum quarterbacks…alex smith is at five years and counting

108. By dabomber on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

LOL

after two good practices, Smith has pulled away from Kap??? Ya mean, Kap, the rookie, who hasn’t played in a professional regular season game??? And you mean Smith, who has been in the league 7 years!!!???!! a 7 year vet is that close to a friggin rookie????

hello 4-12 season, here we come.

109. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

40 9er 4 life, there is football in NM but they suck like you. Boo hoo, so you have tickets to see our niners play, well so do I pal, I have season tickets also, and I jet to SF every chance I get to watch a home game. I have been watching niner games since 1975 and have spent thousands of dollars in merchandise and season tickets, and spent over $100,000 for my custom Hummer that is plastered with 9er decals. So don’t cry about being a ticket holder. Throughout my life God has given me the opportunity to watch almost every 9er game since 1975, I have seen them lose and I have seen them win and let me tell you “win big”. I saw all SuperBowls in person. Those were awesome times but I believe better times are ahead for our team, we will be the winning franchise that we were back in the 80′s and early 90′s. Alex and the whole team have great coaches now, they will get better. And as far as my State, it is one of the best state’s to live in, wouldn’t trade it for any other State.

Go SF49ers…….

Alex Smith is going to Start and is going to finish at the SuperBowl

110. By dabomber on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

jr baca, you may need to get out of the sun.

111. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

WELL Said Zilla414 WELL Said!

112. By Leo on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

So, Alex is a good Practice QB,against 2nd string def, But we need a good GAME DAY QB! Against 1st String Defense.

113. By fish on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

well maybe we can go undefeated at practice?????????????????

114. By Hermie on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

WELL said Leo WELL said…We will know 4 games into the season. If Alex can stand up to the pressure they will be sending at him through the first 4 games, I will be hopeful. In the past as soon as he gets pressured he acts like a deer in headlights…hope this year it is different!!

115. By Jeffy on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Alex has had his opportunity and has failed. Niners management should of been look at Kolb. Can’t beleive they didnt gune for him. Yes, losing season again

116. By Hermie on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

For those of you asking who calls the a__ignments for the rest of the offensive line…the center calls them. That is why I am excited to get Goodwin in the starting rotation since he has been there, done that on a Superbowl team and is a Pro Bowler. I believe the 9ers WILL have a really good O-line that will give the QB time (lets face it Alex will be the starter) once they play together another few weeks. They are young and the o-line is one of the hardest positions to master. We have a lot of talent there that I believe will develop into a great line!

117. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Let’s try the POSITIVE approach shall we, the players for the most part R set, which include QB.

Hope folks can just stay tuned for a bit rather than just criticize, that’s pretty sorry. Most of us have NEVER played the game on this level or even the level below the NFL.

JR Bacca–excellent research on your facts about Alex before he got hurt, nice job. He’s done very well at times against the best D’s in the league.

I will be the first to say, get any player out that doesn’t perform and the good news is, so will Harbaugh.

Go Niners.

118. By Hermie on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

KDB… I agree…that is why I am trying to focus on the positive…I believe in Harbaugh at this point and believe he will do what is RIGHT for the TEAM!! Can’t be any other way!! Alex has been GOOD at TIMES…Hope he can be consistent…Shouldn’t dis people that you do not know what experience or knowledge they have though!!

119. By jbow on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

harbaugh can teach a quaterback smith never had a good teacher yes he hasnt been the best but he hasnt had a GOO D COACH EITHER im not a smith fan but harbaugh has one last chance 9ers fan to the end

120. By jbow on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

also need offensive line to step up

121. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

NOW WE ARE COMING TOGETHER AS FANS, THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, STAYING POSITIVE AT ALL TIMES, THAT IS TRUE HERMIE, “HOPE ALEX COULD STAY CONSISTENT. THAT IS WHY WE HIRED HARBAUGH TO TURN THINGS AROUND TO BE THE BEST 49ER TEAM EVER. I HAVE FAITH IN THE WHOLE TEAM…….

122. By Steven on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad Smith had a great practice against our second string defense. I agree, he a practice squad QB. I’ll support the niners no matter what. But Smith is still unproven, and I don’t have much hope that he will. I don’t think I’d put any money on Smith.

123. By krystsyde on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Go put on Raider jerseys, ya’ll are not 49ER FAITHFUL You LOVe your team when it loses or wins! Even if Alex Smith sucks this year believe in him. Did Thomas Edison invent the light bulb in 7 tries, no it took him a 100 failures. Now this is his his last straw, but have faith and cheer for him.. When the season is over then bash him. Im just like you waiting every year, but his Offensive line always sucked and a different coaching every year. Now they are a west-coast offensive than will focus on clock control and spreading the ball around, with a good D. I believe NFC West is ours!!!

124. By Patrick Sanchez on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

To Coach Harbaugh,
    We will never have a winning record with Alex Smith. As a life long Niner Fan, I’ve seen good QB’s on bad squads. They always give their heart and body to try to win a game. It’s sometimes hard to watch your QB’s getting the crap knocked out of them. And I’ve always cheered the effort and bravery. Then there is Mr. Smith; Alex is damaged goods, to put it bluntly. Scared is no way to play this game. Do us all a favor, make a decision sooner rather than later. It will be good for us all, even Alex Smith.

125. By 40 9er 4 life on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

trust me i have faith, the players need to have faith in themselves or were not gonna have a winning season again. we need to pump up our offensive line, the defense looked pretty solid against the saints so thats a plus. but i just dont see alex smith being a good qb his awareness is probably the worst ive seen in a qb in a long long time.

126. By Tom on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

The TRUE 49er Faithful are rooting for Smith to have a great season. If he does have a great season and takes this team to the playoffs you whiners will jump on the bus also, and try to claim they have always thought Smith was the answer. Saw it happen in the 60s with John Brodie. The late 70s after making the playoffs the fans turned away until Joe Montana came along. Then they got on Steve Young until he won a Super Bowl.
    Go Niners!

127. By KDB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Hermie,

You know I’m not actually dissin. I just want folks to at least let the season begin then let’s evaluate. But to claim it’s over before it get’s started. One team stands out —SF GIANTS ok–no one thought they would do it.
    My obersavations about fans is this–if you count the team and players out before it starts then it just shows a lack of understanding or Ignorance, that’s all.

J. Harbaugh knows what’s up and I think he be so pleased to have Alex suceed for Alex and for the good of the team and take a lot of pride turing this thing around.

Folks can say what they will but Kolb and the rest were not any better to Harbaugh or they would have gottem them. The only pick up OI would be good with would have been C. Palmer.

Go Niners and Alex will be fine. Its the others I’m worried about.

I like the Mccown pickup.

128. By Dan Thompson on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Everyone is pretty dumb if they think Alex Smith should not be the starting quarterback this season. there are 25 qbs in the league that if they ran a hb dive on 1st and second down would not get it done last year. he is doing this with no support except for the coaching staff. I wonder who makes better decisions the occasional fair weather niner fans who don’t understand football or the coaching staff. Alex Smith should and will start for the San Francisco 49ers. It is the right decision and he deserves to be there. What we should be doing is giving him support . If he doesnt cut it oh well you still have CK hes not going anywhere. I’m a die hard niner faithful and Alex Smith is the best option at QB.

129. By ishmael stagner on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Give him a halfway decent offensive line, and receivers who can run good routes, Alex just might surprise a lot of people. 49ers really need a ball control offense so that the defense doesn’t have to play the whole game. Last year should have been dedicated to Andy Lee, with all the exercise he got from the “3 downs and a kick’ offense that SF had. Let’s hope Gore stays healthy, Iupati remains meaner than heck, and Hunter can turn the corner on sprint plays. Until then…

130. By TP on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

BRING BACK JEFF GARCIA!!!!!! ALEX SMITH SUCKS!!!! THE ONLY THING HE DOES REGULARLY IS THROW PICKS AND LOSE GAMES!!!!

131. By randy on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

ALEX, UR A BUM, GO ELSEWHERE!!! and to this 49er_Faithful52 person, really, are you freekin serious, alex is looking good and the niners will win with him? get ur head out ur a$$…….

132. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

ALEX SMITH IS GOING TO BE AWESOME THIS YEAR, HE HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE, HE WAS A FREE AGENT, HE COULD HAVE EASILY LEFT, BUT HE DIDN’T. MOST OF YOU CRY BABY ALEX HATERS WHO HAVE BEEN WINNING ALL ALONG ARE GOING TO BE SURPRISED THIS SEASON. YOUR WINNING WILL TURN TO, “WOW HIS REALLY GOOD”. AS FANS WE NEED TO SUPPORT OUR TEAM ALL THE TIME. IF YOU CANT, MAYBE IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO GO FIND ANOTHER TEAM. I WAS 18 YEARS OLD BACK IN 75 WHEN I BECAME A 49ER FAN AND TO THIS DAY WILL NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THEM, THEY ARE MY TEAM AND I WILL DEFEND MY TEAM NO MATTER WHAT. YOU COME AGAINST ONE MEMBER OF MY TEAM, YOUR COMING AGAINST ALL OF THEM. DON’T GET ME WRONG, I GET UPSET WHEN THEY SCREW UP, BUT I GET OVER IT. LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE, IF YOU CANT SUPPORT OUR WHOLE TEAM, “LEAVE”! AND TP JEFF GARCIA IS USING A CANE!

GO 49ERS…….

133. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

RANDY, YOUR A BUM AND AN IDIOT, GO FIND ANOTHER TEAM TO CRY ABOUT!

134. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

IN 2010 ALEX PUT OUT BETTER NUMBERS THEN MOST QB’S FROM OTHER TEAMS:

HIGHEST TD PERCENTAGE AMONG ACTIVE TEAMMATES
    Quarterback Receiver TDs Total TDs Pct.
    1. Matt Ryan Roddy White 26 66 39.4%

1. Tony Romo, Dal. 25 18 72.0 8
    2. Alex Smith, SF 42 30 71.4 9
    3. Kevin Kolb, Phi./Ari. 25 17 68.0 5
    4. Aaron Rodgers, GB 71 47 66.2 19
    5. David Garrard, Jax. 42 27 64.3 16

135. By Lovemymelba on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

JR Baca, you are one of a few that post here that has any sense. Thank you for supporting the 49ers. I to love and suppport my 9ers too!!!

Go Niners!!!

136. By Jeffy on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

It is great to see the positive supporters…..always hope for the best. But………to be the best your team management has to be on top of everything……..QUARTERBACK……YOUR LEADER. Alex is a hard worker but the niners need a drastic change at that position. How many years are we going to do the same thing? He would be a reliable back up……..I will say it again we missed the boat not going after Kevin Kolb. Winners make moves in the off season…….Hope for the best…Harbaugh won’t take any crap that is for sure!!!

137. By KDB on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I blame the Management and the NUMEROUS Coaching Staffs over the 7 years. This whole thing about Alex and 7 yrs CLEARLY shows IGNORANCE on our Parts, not mine, but for those that want to blame that on him. LEARN THE GAME, you are IGNORANT.

We now have a play caller and a former excellent QB with a plan. Some of you GIRLS are getting bent over things like 3rd Team QB pickup when its been CLEARLY stated who the top two are. A Smith Yahoo and Collin Kaepernick YAHOO.

LEARN the GAME.

And for those that Boo at games, YOU ARE WEAK!

Try seeing what happens, then after say 5 games if you don’t like it then do your thing. But in a war, many of you would die quick or turn tail and run home.

138. By Cali9er on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Everyone keeps hating on alex smith. truth is he is not that bad of a qb. he may not be great and seems to turn the ball over at the worst times, but that is not enirely his fault. our o-line is horrible.he has littel to no time in the pocket. put any qb in that position and i guarentee they wont do well

139. By LA9ersFan on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Hermie:

40 yrs.???? Wow!! Been watching since the Y.A. Tittle and John Brodie days huh. That’s real. Not to say all these young ones are less of a fan than you are but that’s what I call a fan. I agree with you that just because people like myself criticize the “starting QB” it doesn’t automatically mean I am not a 49ers fan. In fact it only means we really care and pay attention to how our team is doing. I DECIDE to watch and cheer for the 49ers and NOT someone else! You hear that ninertime84??????

140. By 49erNATION` on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

As a die hard 9er fan it burdens me to watch alex Smith continue to set us back. Action speaks louder than words and gametime situations and speed can not be duplicated. In a REAL GAME Alex Smith does not have the mind capacity, confidence, or ability to deliver and as a 9er fan we NEED a QB to DELIVER in a Game not in PRACTICE!!!!!

141. By NinersinVA on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

It is a very risky and uncommon practice to throw a rookie into the first game for any team. In the strike year, you need to be very desperate to do so. Harbaugh is playing it smart for the rest of the team by letting Alex play and Kap learn. The only and I mean only 2 successful QB’s in the last 12 years that started snap 1, day one were what Big Ben and Eli Manning. Everyone newbie needs some time especially with no preseason. Let Alex try, win some support and be a great #2 when Kap learns the ropes.

142. By Monica on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Once again I’m so hoping for a miracle. Maybe this year will be the year for Alex Smith. I have 4 season tickets, cost $5,160. It’s a lot to pony up year after year when you continually lose, but I’m Faithful, so I do it. Sorry, but those of you who just watch on TV don’t feel the pain as much as those of us who pay up. Please, Coach Harbaugh, show us something this season to give us, the Faithful fans who pay big bucks to attend the games and pay your salaries, hope that we’ll be a winning team again soon. Still Faithful in the Carson Valley, Nevada.

143. By 9erFanPDX on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Ok- I’m gonna chime in real quick on this. I’ve disagreed with a few decisions the team has made in the last few years. First, I don’t understand why Shaun Hill was traded (I believe he actually had a winning record as a starter for the 2008-2009 seasons). He wasn’t fancy or have a super arm but he could run the offense and he showed it. He’s even done well with the Lions. I’m pretty sick of the whole quarterback competition idea- I don’t really think it does anything for the team to have players actively competing for the position, especially during the regular season. Better to have it decided and roll with what you have. I’ll continue to support this team, and I’m gonna give Alex Smith one last shot before calling for his ouster. We should have utilized Westbrook more last year- that was a waste.

144. By Earl on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

So here”s, doing fine.. which is (alex) an here”s phenomanal (Kap) what is (McCown ???? Im going to pray for my defence this season . Lord please give our defence the strength and power through each game so that they may help out our offence in getting great field positions to make it easier for our QB”s..thank you….

145. By NYninerhumper on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hes just had so many different coordinators man he’s got so much potential hahahahahahahahaha!! boooo! he’s a bum we will be 2-6 before he sits. so exciting and predictible seasons booo again

146. By 49er Fan in SD on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith will flourish under Harbaugh. Get ready to win! Harbaugh would not blow smoke up anybody’s keyster! If he says that the kid looks good; he looks good.

147. By skip on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

please…lets throw this season and take Andrew luck in next years draft!

148. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

WE ARE NOT INTO THROWING SEASONS, WE ARE GOING TO WIN, WIN, WIN, HAVE FAITH IN OUR TEAM SKIP.

GO SF49ERS…….

149. By 49er Joe on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

All these niner fans talking ish…come on I know were all frustrated already but we cant really keep blaming Smith..Where was our O line on friday, I dont think they showed up. Kap went in and had no big time results. Smith has heart he wanted to come back to Frisco wit a pay cut because “he has unfinished business” I still root for #11. Hes gnna do big things this year watch,…then every1 will regret everything said..c’mon fans this has to be our year, We didnt give him 1 more chance for nothing.

150. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Amen 49er Joe, I totally agree with you bro. I think that anyone that says lets tank the season are a bunch of young kids who don’t know better. Us adults know what our team could truly do. This is going to be Alex’s best year ever. Now he finally has a coaching staff that are supporting him 110% and will teach him how to be a winning QB. They haven’t had much time to practice, but they are getting their reps. Did you hear what Vernon said at an interview, that coach Harbaugh sits down and has lunch with the guys, that no other coach has ever done that. That just shows me that he is just as hungry about winning then the team and all of us faithful fans. All the team and Alex haters are going to eat their hateful words. Many blow outs are ahead for our team, their will be high scoring games and hopefully the 9ers will lead us to the promise land (THE SUPERBOWL)

GO SF 49ers…….

151. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

MUSTARD SEED FAITH PEOPLE!

152. By 49er Chris on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Allex Smith is not a quarterback he’s a salesman.. He sells himself and gets chance after chance with the same ending.. He had to come back to SF.. Nobody else would take him.. The question is why do we keep throwing millions of dollars at him with nothing in return..

153. By eschoch on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Cant wait tell all you guys are proven wrong, a real fan will not hate on thier team, no matter who the players are. I bet everyone that Smith has a break out year. I played against alex smith in high school and he is better then this. come one every coach since he has been in the league has been all about deffense no body to develp a QB except Norv Tunner and he left. And he said it him self not QB can make it in this league if you have 6 different Coaches every year. You have to learn new things every single year. I bet Manning or Brady wouldnt be as good if the same things happened to them. Alex I wish you the best of luck on this season. WIll always be a fan no matter what happens.

154. By Hermie on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Yeah LA9ersFan, I first hung “tacked” my first 9ers football cards on my wall…Bruce Bosley, Gary Lewis, and Dave Wilcox. May favorites were Brodie, G. Washington (the only one not Minnesota’s) and J. Johnson. I thought Forrest Blue was such a cool name. I have hated Dallas ever since those days of knocking us out of the playoffs 3yrs. in a row, when we had the better team!! :-) I have rooted through many long lean years and I want to see a winning team again!! I remember Y.A., but can’t remember his play. I bleed 9ers and feel I have a right to criticise when I see fit!!

155. By JR Baca in New Mexico on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I CAN’T STAND DALLAS PERIOD, AND THEIR ARE A LOT OF DALLAS FANS HERE IN NEW MEXICO. WE CALL THEM THE COWGIRLS HERE IN NM, LOL

156. By Redd on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

SF had the opportunity to pick new QBs in past drafts. Why they stick with smith is beyond me. Sure it’s not all his fault. But he is most to blame, being the leader of his team and all. ESPN even said that SF has all the offensive weapons except for the QB. If smith doesn’t have “it”, then he doesn’t have “it” and needs to move on. Just because he’s a number one draft pick doesn’t mean crap if you can’t play with the big boys. It’s like you cant fire that old guy, so send him to the door to greet everyone as they come in because he served some kinda value before but not anymore. If smith had to learn from 6 different coaches, why does he look exactly the same? I remember one game when smith was failing miserably, Singletary chewed his grapes off and did pretty good after. That shows me that he could do it … But for some reason wont! It’s time for a new QB!