Three Players Placed on PUP, Carr Released

Posted by Scott Kegley on July 29, 2011 – 8:18 AM

The San Francisco 49ers announced that the following players have been placed on the active/physically unable to perform list: WR Michael Crabtree, FB Bruce Miller and WR Dominique Zeigler. Players placed on the physically unable to perform list count against the 90-man roster limit and can be activated at any time prior to the final cuts of training camp.

The team also announced it has released QB David Carr.

Carr, a nine-year veteran, played just one year for the 49ers, appearing in one game and completing 5 of 13 pass attempts for 67 and one interception. The former number one overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, he has played in 92 games (79 starts) and has completed 1,351 of 2,264 pass attempts for 14,433 yards, 65 touchdowns and 71 interceptions, while adding 302 carries for 1,331 yards and nine touchdowns on the ground.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Breaking News, Injury News, Transactions | 62 Comments »

62 Responses to “Three Players Placed on PUP, Carr Released”

1. By red gold on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

That dude was over paid, over rated. In his time in S.F. he didnt even make the pro bowl. Clements never played up to his contract. This is a good move. If Clements was humble he would of taken less money and still be employed. No one is going to sign that guy (not for the money he’s asking for).

2. By niner4life on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

why the hell did they get rid of nedney? wow this season is going wrong already! but alex smith is still there that really sucks!

3. By VA49er Fan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m begining to lose my patience with Crabtree!!!!!!!

4. By Nedneyfan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Nedney was one of the most solid kickers in the league. Not to mention, nearly the 49ers leading scorer during some seasons. It’s a sad day to see him get released!

5. By DMT on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Diva Crabtree strikes again

6. By Randy K. on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Crabtree is hurt again? As the Church Lady used to say, “How convenient”.

7. By Norman Belton on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

This is really not a way to start out a season this sucks!!!! COME ON NINERS GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!

8. By Shuelo on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

wow crabtree injure? doesn;t surprise me lol

9. By raymond on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

here we go again with crabnuts, the premadonna is whack all he does is look pretty out there in reality he’s the first steps cancer or should I another in the making. What ever happened to the JERRY RICE’s out there. as far as i’m concerned they shouldve left him in the draft room because it feels like he’s still there.

10. By ceadderman on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know what your problem is n4l…

Nedney is a reasonable Kicker when he’s healthy. The problem is he’s not been healthy the last couple years with knee problems. The man makes his living on his leg. I believe that he was released because he told them he was most likely going to retire. They needed to clear the books to get some more money for Nnamdi. But being in the race for Nnamdi put other positions in jeopardy, just as I said it would. Now Dallas apparently is talking with Goldson. Our roster is going to be gutted like a fish all because our attentions were elsewhere.

We headed to tha Super Bowel Baby! O_o

11. By 9erintexas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

what are we doing? this week is going bad, dropping players we need to, but doing absolutely nothing in the free agent market while other teams are doing alot. we lost out on joseph, and now on nnamdi, do something now please york and others..come on, the time is now while we still have the west where we want them.

12. By ninertime on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

crabtree adn zeigler are hurt… crazy how often crabtree gets hurt, people get hurt and thats the way it works. The iners knew he had some issues before drafting him and such but danm. We need some stability at the position for sure. We NEED two good cornerbacks…. you guys better get in there and spend some money on nambdi. get back in the race because the people we got are not acceptable!

13. By HARRY RUMP on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

YORK AND BAALKE ARE KILLING OUR NEW COACH! PLEASE SELL THE TEAM OR GIVE IT BACK TO EDDIE!

14. By bojo49ers on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

so, quiet on the free agency frenzy, we need some big name,to boost ether defense or offense, c’mon guys lets get somebody out there,rather than a kicker (akers)

15. By carlos on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

What in the world. Yes it is getting to the point of being concerned about the coming season. There has been no pick up of any free agents that could help in that secondary and the wide receiver position is becoming questionable. I’m not gonna even comment on the qb situation. Even more, every time I turn around we are loosing veteran players. I’m wondering what are the goals for this year .Every other team in our division are making major moves. I’m trying to keep my chin up and leave the paper bag off but its getting hard.We need to see something showing a commitment to the upcoming season. Just too quiet for me.

16. By Pakudo on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers never sign anybody EVER……. What do they do with all their money. I’m so tired of hearing about all these other teams signing all of these talented players and the 49ers never sign anybody EVER…..I have been a 49ers fan for alot of years but I am beginning to think WHAT IS THE USE. I agree give the team back to EDDIE……

17. By Jesse V on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Come on faithful… let’s have some faith here. We don’t know and won’t know the front offices intentions until they make moves. There must be a reason why we haven’t signed any skills positions yet. My only thought would be we are waiting for the chain reaction of the Nnamdi signing. For instance, as stated in the Nnamdi blog, if he goes to dallas, they will have to cut Terrence and possibly more, then we can nab T.N. If he signs with NYJ, that will leave Cromartie open for business and there will be more cuts made to obtain. I believe they are trying to get more bang for there buck. Just wait and see what transpires. “I BLEED RED AND GOLD”

18. By shawn Barnett on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I like some of the changes ….I still think the the niners is going to make a BIGGGGG mover B4 Monday…We will be OK!

19. By bizzle on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

this year was over before it started,the faithful is loosing faith!

20. By chris on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

need to get rid of alex smith

21. By JasonXFlash on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Cuts crabtree… He’s not even worth to smell Jerry’s cleat……

22. By richard anger on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Haven’t got a clue what the niners are thinking about. Had a chance to pick up McNabb to work with the rookie but blew that. Unable to retain our center (blew that) Sticking with Smith (blew that). Just about to jump teams and I have been a fan fo thirty years.

23. By Ramrod on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Can you say ‘Todd Shell’ syndrome. Is Crabtree the next Todd Shell or Drunkenmiller? Then there’s Frank Gore. So he has the balls enough to strike and then hold out on his team. What gets into these guys heads? He’s got 2 – 3 years left and he doesn’t have enough dignity to play out the contract that he signed on. He’s just another young guy worried ‘gettin mines’. Bunch of crap. Cut him and let’s move on with Anthony Dixon.

24. By ninertime on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

lol cut him beause he got hurt? hes injury prone like many players who are injured coming out of college. It was something the niners were aware of. he unlikly will miss any games however missing training camp and other things is a big deal. However im sure he will be ready to go by week 1-2. I do wish that the niner organization would be willing to spend the ammount of money needed. Maybe nambdi wanted something other than money and didnt come to the niners because of previous win loss records i dont know. But i know that we NEED some DBS ASAP. If you cant get nambdi and u dropped out of it fine go get cromartie and GET HIM. dont TRY….. DO!. We wont get anywhere in the playoffs without two decent solid DBS

25. By choctaw4ever on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Wish stickem would come back for Crabtree, He drops more than he catches anyway lots of good guys out there to replace him. PLEASE NO T.O. again!!!!!! I couldn’t take that guy ever again after what he caused. Nate is a good player, don’t you think they were dropping who ever to get the raider dude who will not come to SF anyways. He wants bigger things than us west coast teams.
    SOME ONE LET NFL CHANNEL WE EXIST!!!TIRED OF COWBOYS, EAGLES,AND DENVER COVERAGE….DENVER SUCKED LAST YEAR WHY SO MUCH COVERAGE OVER ORTON YOU COULD SHOW OUR TRAINING CAMP FOR 5 minutes Oh yeah we still have Alex nevermind

26. By sirtkgoalie on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

i just herd on nfl network 49ers signed david akers and crabtree is the best reciever on the team

27. By rjw49ers on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I have been a niner fan all my life but I think it is time to change teams because we are getting worse by the day and to resing smith what a Joke

28. By niner4life on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

the year is already over alex smith signed for 1 more year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn what a waste! better pay gore the money!!!!!!!!!!!!! year in review alex smith sucks once again!

29. By JOHN on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

YOU HEAR THAT GUYS QUIET! A LITTLE TOO QUIET.

30. By rjw49ers on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I think we will be lucky to win one game this year, this sucks I really don’t want to cheer for another team because I am in the midwest and don’t want to cheer for nfc north. COME ON YORKS GIVE THE TEAM BACK TO EDDIE

31. By westcoasting on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

yo guys. i just realized.. yep.. their signing a bunch of rooks, undrafted free agents, i think when harbaugh meant overhaul, i think this is a full team overhaul.. which means, this year will be a “development year” for the new rookz. and getting rid of the old players, no matter how good they are. Yep. Yep.

32. By Las Vegas 49er Fan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Look all you supposed 49er fans, All these negative comments about our players and front office personal who are trying to bring the 49er’s back to playoffs and beyond is crap .Stop being a Alex Smith Basher, The last time I checked FOOTBALL IS A TEAM SPORT, it’s not a one guy blame it all on sport….They win together and loose together. Don’t name Alex your scape goat. Obviously the headquarters in Santa Clara Have all the confidence in our Mr. Smith to re-sign him and not listen to some drunk or unfaithful sofa fans advice or NEGATIVE BLOGS. Real Faithful Fans support all that happens with the team because WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT !!!!! and all the hate spewing from the tiny little heads on to keyboards of supposed fans is a bunch of putrid red slime , Real Faithful fans don’t blog negativity. Be patient, and great things will soon happen for our team in the Scarlet and Gold.
    Go San Francisco Forty Niners. (sorry ,I kinda of got carried away) Thanks :)

33. By Ants49ers on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

As soon as they signed A.Smith back I knew this season was in the toliet. It’s a Damn shame how u let all these Good free agents just blow right by you and not even pick up the phone to try and get any one of them. Mcnabb,S.Rice,Nnamdi,Young, ANYBOBY!!!!! But no we sign a Kicker!!!! WTF????? I’d rather still be in the lockout!!!!

34. By BW on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

This is looking better every day: with the non-moves by the 49ers, Gore holding out, no serviceable QB, the 49ers keep getting closer to ANDREW LUCK!!!

35. By Joe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Florida 49er Fan: I am very happy they let Carr go! However, what about getting a true franchise QB? Why would they retain ALEX Smith, he’s a BUST, how much more do we as fans have to put up with a subpar QB? Kolb of the Philadelphia Eagles would have been a good choice or even McNabb? Yes, we need a veteran QB to mentor the 49ers new QB draft pick, but not a loser, such as Alex Smith, you mentor people by having GOOD role models.

Yorks, please sell the team, you do not know what you are doing, Bring back the true owner Eddie Debartolo!

36. By brad on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m so sick of the Yorks not spending money to get good free agents!! They keep saying that they want to win but don’t show it!!

37. By brad on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith is the worst thing to happen to the 49ers in the last decade and they bring him back to destroy another season!? Thanks for nothing!!!

38. By Monroe Quarles on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Why did sign alex smith we gave him six years to produce he is another ryan leaf alex is a bust fire your general manager he doesnt know what he’s doing we change to get kolb or mcnabb or resign troy smith who is better than alex we had good free agent still with with name if you dont them give the team back to eddie because we can become super bowl champion again a dynasty

39. By Phil on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I was so excited when the 49ers drafted crabtree but when he held out I thought here we go! Another pre-madonna I have never been more right. All he has done since his arrival is hold a spot on the roster. Hey balkke hire me to fill a spot on the roster, I will do it for 1/10th of what crabtree is making!!!!

40. By Jeff Watson on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Anyone who is dissing the 49ers, but labels themselves 49ers Faithful need to go find another team…Its ridiculous how many so called fans I see being so hateful towards the team

41. By Toozman on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers had an opportunity to pick up a pro-bowl corner but didnt, they had an opportunity to keep one of their best offensive linemen but they didn’t, They had a chance to sign a veteran QB who has more TD’s than interceptions, unlike the current QBs on the 49ers, but they didn’t. They had a chance to retain one of their best linebackers and team leaders but they didn’t. I hope the front office know’s what they are doing. So far this looks like more of the same stuff we have seen over the past 10 years.

42. By gary potter on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I said last winter before lockoutwhen boy king picked his gm that nothing good would come of it. York wants to be. a Jerry Jones clone,have his fingers in everything. I give Harbough 2 years before he tells them both to stick it. “Build thru the draft” they got to be kidding with the holes ithat they have to plug it will take them 3-4 years if they are lucky

43. By Jose on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

We lost out on all the free agent cornerbacks and now we have nothing . We should have drafted P. Amukamara in this year’s draft .

44. By tyler springer on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

i agree ive been a niner fan all my life and managment is just the worst…..york is horrible and harbuagh wont put up with it long……year after year alex smith shows his best years were in college…..now crabtree always something, no pick ups in free agency, we lose clemets frank gore one of the very few stars we have wont come cause were cheap…..and on top of all that now they want to share a stadium with the raiders how pathetic…..sorry niners i think im goin to arizona

45. By donald taylor on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

ok lets not panic, give gore his money, get a qb we may can beat the rams make some moves.

46. By Hermie on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

When I look at what the Eagles did to improve their defensive backfield it makes me sick at what the 9ers are doing to strengthen theirs. What was an obvious need in the off-season, they have failed to improve through free agency. We can only hope that they go after Cromartie and “signs” him.
    Everything I hear about CK is promising! I am glad they signed Akers even though I thought Nedney did a good job for them.

47. By ebigc on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

we need to get rid of crybaby ,sorry i mean crabtree

48. By sagebrushSAVAGE on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I think the niners should trade Crabtree while he is young for a veteran proven reciever, he is a wuss in highheels, i have a feeling Colin from UNR will be the reason people jump back on the niner bandwagon if given the chance he will do great things, Alex has already shown he is not NFL material

49. By SCOTT WILLIAMS on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

IT IS VERY OBVIOUS WHAT THE 49ERS ARE DOING HERE. THEY WANT TO FINISH IN LAST PLACE SO THEY CAN NAB ANDREW LUCK IN THE FIRST ROUND/FIRST PICK NEXT YEAR. This is a throw away season for the 49ers.

Very please I decided to turn in my season tickets this year after holding them for 14 years. Until the YORK’S sell the team, they will continue to be bottom of the barrel. It’s really just that simple.

50. By maamaama on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Why are all you “9ers fans” hard on A. Smith? he has given this team the best opportunity to win the division, its no thanks to the defense for screwing all that up last year. Smith threw some amazing games last year, games that would have been won had the Defense not blown it I.E. the eagles game, the falcons game, the new orleans game.

51. By Niner guy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Crabtree=Divatree—He is gonna be a big time prima donna..Alex Smith needs to go..Heck I would of been glad if they took Mcnabb for gods sake! I say try to get Montana as a qb coach. We are making some dumb moves already and if we loose Gore that will really hurt us

52. By Bryce Sidney on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Wow guys, this is crazy, the negaitive tone is rising no doubt, I’ve had similar feelings over the past couple days. But however, there’s insight and belief in places we can’t see looking from the outside so yes, let’s have a little more faith in the management. Remember now we couldn’t run the ball to save our lives last season so you can’t be too mad when you see heitman and others go, Harbaugh is a college guy who had a great running game at stanford last year and he’s bringin in some of those o-linemen. Our o-line hasn’t been boss for awhile so give em that. But positivity will only get you so far and dammit our secondary has needed help for a long time now and York you blew it on gettin some sound guys to fill that role. I’ve recently read up about 20 college kids their bringing in to do what exactly? Try out the release em? Who’s gonna start day one, who’s gonna cover sidney rice and larry when we see them 2 times each this year? Fix that problem and alot of fans will feel better. Leave Alex alone, did anybody take the time to see he was 1 of maybe 4 or 5 QB’s to get players to show up to his camp? Not even Aaron rogers got his time to come to his offseason practices. He’s shown growth and leadership over the last 2 years you can’t deny it. How easy would it have been after gettin boo’d off the field more than once for him to say eff SF ima go be a backup and hide somewhere. No, atleast he’s trying to fix the mess he’s made, how many of you do that in your daily lives? Pay gore, trade crabtree to the jets for AC, sign plex or MASON!!!! We need vets to guide on the offense, Go 9ers, the hate is only outta love and we all should remember that.

53. By George Ross on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nedney failed his physical. His knee is toast. It’s not repairable so he’s done. What about that kid with the rocket leg on our practice squad? I can’t spell his name but he is currently kicking in the Arena League. I would use him instead of a 36 year old kicker.

54. By Livin Loud Nicky on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I have been a 49er fan for over 41 years. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!! SALE THE TEAM BACK TO EDDIE! The Yorks are a freaking joke and everyone knows it! Nobady likes the yorks and there destroying the team every year. I cant believe im saying this but im so sick of the front office and after 41 years im finally leaving the team as a fan. Im going with the Chargers! Go SAN DIEGO!!!!!

55. By 9ersgreatestfan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

the way the front office is acting the niners shoud be in the arena football league. we gave up players to get money for the rookies understand tht but y bring alex smith back he only going to get booed as well as the team. we should get clamartie to help out on the other side of spencer. we had the best linebacker core and now its fallen apart. give eddie the team back and go from there.

56. By ninerguytroy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Serioulsy who vouched for crabtrees’ work ethic, and i would like to see peyton manning with 6 off. coord. 4 different head coaches 5 different systems come people u honestly believe alex has had a fair shot???? i dont know if he is the answer or not how could u tell ???? BEEN A NINER FAN 32 YEARS AND WE R SPOILED ITS NOT JUST A QB PROBLEM GET A CLUE PEOPLE !!!!!!!! GO NINERS

57. By mark on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

You guys are to negative. They haven’t named a starting qb yet. Free agents don’t always work. The team was close to playoffs last year so just sit back and watch. no need to panic.

58. By Eddie on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hell I would settle for Randy Moss , or bring back Terrell Owens just get rid of Crabtree.

59. By Cedric on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The front office need to give Eddie D the team back. We have not made the playoffs since 2002 and these idiots talking about being patient? Why the hell is Alex smith even on the roster? I hope we don’t have Monday night games because it will give the whole world and opportunity to see how pathetic the team is. I have been a fan since the Joe Montana era and right about now i might have to switch teams to the eagles since they now look like the 94 niners with there recent free agency signings. I am angry about this organization letting us down…

60. By 49er Joe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Whats going on in San Francisco…we cant even sign no decent players, but were quik to release our good ones. SMH. then 3 players on PUP. We shoulda traded Crabtree. He’s too delicate, and I dont think he wants to be here anyways..Let’s go after another reciver, lets even bring back T.O. Were starting to get desperate here.

61. By steven on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

we released nedney because he is retiring

62. By 90 е годы on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I do not even understand how I ended up here, however I believed this put up was once good. I don’t understand who you’re however certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!