Report: Players Hold Informal Minicamp

Posted by Taylor Price on June 6, 2011 – 4:38 PM

According to CSN Bay Area’s Mindi Bach, several 49ers players met at San Jose State’s Spartan Stadium Monday for a player-led minicamp.

Bach’s report acknowledged free-agent-to-be quarterback Alex Smith as the unofficial minicamp’s lead organizer. Several beat writers were on hand as well including Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee, who described the camp as “Playbook 101” sessions for the 49ers offense.

22 Responses to “Report: Players Hold Informal Minicamp”

1. By leland on Jun 7, 2011 | Reply

good to see our starting qb leading the pack. he’s gonna be good with harbaugh. wait and see.

2. By HW1 on Jun 7, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Alex! Run this team like the pro you are, make those who don’t understand you eat there words!

3. By madpanther26 on Jun 7, 2011 | Reply

I´m glad that a huge part of the team is responding.
    But Iwould also like to know what Coach Harbaug thinks about it

4. By brian on Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

a smith will lead niners to playoffs this year.

5. By David Whitaker on Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith will take us to the super Bowl in 2012 and win it. I get tiredof all these winners

6. By mpbellinoiii on Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

i just want to say i do not like smith. he has not proved anything to anyone. But if that who the coaches decide will lead the niners then i will show my support.

7. By mac on Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

as much as i want to see alex succeed , i ask as a favor from thousands of niner fans, Alex be successful somewhere else, i could not stand watching you one more year. Please move on!!!

8. By jim on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

the lockout is hurting football,if they are going to keep this up they might as well disband the sport.also they are making alot of dumb rules like changing the kickng line. the only thing i agree with is the head concussions the players suffer. LET’S GET RID OF THIS LOCKOUT HUH!

9. By L.G on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

I have to admit I am not a big Alex Smith fan but you have to respect how he has put a minicamp together. He could have waited for free agency and blew the 49er organization off. This team would have been really in big trouble come opening season(no sure QB)! I hope the best for him in 2011.

Crab go and practice with your team mates, build some chemistry! Get over it, Smith is the obvious QB…

10. By jay on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

I just hope your draft pics for the secondary are gettign reps, But good to see the Offense is working out more. I mean they stunk last season.

11. By jay on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

i meant Our, typo, sorry everybody.

12. By justin on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

you people are retarded alex smith blows if hes our qb again for the 7th time i give up on our season but i still think coachs plan is to start alex go 0-16 get his guy from stanford good plan coach and if that wasnt his plan well it should be cause thats whats going to happen troy smith about 1 million times better then alex smith look at what he did in 2 months lost to the bucs 10-6 lost to the packers wait didnt the packers win the super bowl hmmmmmmm who did alex lose to everyone he blows if troy smith would have been there for 20 years like alex we would have won the super bowl about 4 times go troy and also were did alex play collage ball utah who did he beat at utah no one cause they suck he sucks you people omg i cant wait if he starts so i can make fun of you people he had 6 years give it up 18-36 as a starter with the talent he has atleast troy smith tries to get the ball down feild alex you blow your to little you suck need to give it up man go get a job with your masters some were cause you are not made to play football but any way bring back troy if we plan on winning if not lets start alex go 0-16 i guess we forgot who started the season 1-6 lmao that was alex hes super awesome

13. By ANDY on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

JUSTIN, YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING NOT ONLY DID ALEX SMITH HAVE A BETTER QB RATING (82.1)THEN TROY SMITH (77.8)HIS KNOWLEDGE AND MACHANICS ARE MUCH BETTER THEN TROY’S. PS YOU STATED ALEX IS “TO LITTLE”, HE IS 6’4 217 POUNDS (TROY 6’0 217). MAYBE IF HE HAD A CONSISTENT QB AND OFFENSIVE COACHING STAF, YOU AND ALL THE REST OF THE ALEX HATTERS WOULD UNDERSTAND WHY ALEX AND THIS OFFENSE STRUGGLES EVERY YEAR.

ALEX MAY NEVER BE A SUPER STAR BUT HE IS BETTER THEN YOU SO CALLED FANS BASH HIM TO BE. I HOPE HE GETS A CHANCE TO PROVE HIMSELF OR ANOTHER TEAM WILL DEFINITELY GET A GREAT BUY.

14. By TJ on Jun 11, 2011 | Reply

During his senior year in college, his team went 12-0. Alex had the support of his coaching staff and the respect of the players. During his NFL career Alex gave it all he got every game and every day.Alex did not have the consistency nor the longevity of the coaching staff that him and the rest of the team needed. The sad part is he got blamed for all their losses. I believe coach Harbaugh will bring the best out of Alex. Andrew Luck did great at Stanford because he had a coach that guided him through out. The same will happen with Alex. It is a win win situation for Jim, Alex, and the 49ers. I have been a 49ers fan since the days of Joe Montana and Steve Young. Maybe not as long as most of you. But long enough to know to win a championship it all starts with the head coach. Jim is a team leader and a team builder. I can’t say that about the previous few coaches. I think the 49ers are on their way to bring back the glory days. Thanks

15. By KDB on Jun 12, 2011 | Reply

Alex has ALWAYS had the talent, its been the LACK of Support and no COACHING to support him.

I’m happy he has the guts to do this, it takes a winner to walk above all of the BS most of us have put on him, and most of us don’t even know the game well enough to speak about the position.

16. By huck on Jun 12, 2011 | Reply

what if montona & young were coached by singletary,if your boss dont know your SOL

17. By Hermie on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

This has been a really strange offseason because of the lockout etc…If teams could have been signing and dealing players the draft and everything would have probably gone differently. We can only hope Harbaugh can work with Alex until CK is ready to go, because we do not have a choice at this point. I believe the lockout hurt the 9ers more than most other teams because of our QB situation and not being able to talk to anyone else.

Also, Harbaugh has only coached at the college level, so don’t think he is gonna walk right in and have all the right answers and a powerhouse team (history is against him). A winning record and making the playoffs this year would be a great start.

18. By madpanther26 on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

let´s see how things go on.The informal minicamp is a great idea that almost all of our players attend (except our supposed superstars receiver). But not untill Coach Harbaugh takes full responsability of the team and start kowing better each other, we won´t see where we can get.

having a year with a negative wining balance, won´t be so bad if we win stability ( don´t expect to win the superbowl in one year)

19. By NinerFanForLife on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a 49ers fan for about 25 years now and am surprised that so many of you are supportive of Alex Smith. I mean, he just flat out can’t win games. I wish we would have kept Shaun Hill because he had the guts to make things happen, with a winning record.

Alex can’t throw the deep ball and we have great receivers in Crabtree, Morgan, and Davis to burn people. The games I’ve seen live, Alex has underthrown the ball and always gets injured (EVERY YEAR). How many more years are we willing to hear about Smith getting an elbow or shoulder injury that reduces him to a benchwarmer?

If I was Coach Harbaugh, I would try to pick up Donovan McNabb or Carson Palmer to lead the team next year… they can also teach our new QB how to lead a team to victory.

I just want to see the Niners make the playoffs this year. NFC West is ours for the taking. If Seattle made it past the first round last year, Niners can do it this year!

20. By natedawg on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

I appreciate the fact that your getting things together during this lockout, but I’m afraid its too little too late man. In my mind Alex has had his time. He has a good head on his shoulders, and I appreciate the devotion that he’s given to us, but if he’s our qb for 2011 season, I see us back in to the bottom of the divison.

Yes he has had injuries, but this is football, not tennis.

Yes he has had some bad talent at times, Alex, you were picked #1 overall, Brady was #199 and look at the talent that he had! And you have had Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, and Ginn, No excuses to not win this weak division.

The only excuse I’ll let you get away with is the inconsistany offenses/offensive coordinators, but dude look at our division! Your telling me that they have mixed things up so much in the last 6 years that we couldnt win the division once?

Come on Man, you’ve had your time. Move on and lets pick up Kolb, Palmer, Young, or trade for a good QB. Crist I’d even take McNabb or Farve at this point, lol

Seriously, Make some moves.

Nate

21. By natedawg on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

I also agree with Hermie, their in a tuff spot, and its risky to make such a drastic move right when you come into the league. But now’s the time to do it if ever. Its like a relationship, if it hasnt work for 6 years, I feel like you have enough invested into it to let it go and start with something new and fresh…Build from the ground up and the foundation is the qb

22. By NorthLongBeach49erFanSinceBirth on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Checc this out…. The coach is being smart. I beleieve we should get a new vet qb but we don’t know whats going 2 happen because of the lockout. so get in good terms with a qb who has had 6 different offensive cordinators…. so he has seen alot of different types off offensive schemes so….. he might of seen a play book who offense is simmiliar to harbaugh. when he had mike martz the offense actually was good and made numbers. lets see went to the wire with new orleans, philly and Atl all good teams, they underestimated the chiefs with that dull call playing. seattle I dont even want to get started on how the 9ers dropped michale robinson and kentwan balmer a week before the 1st game so they knew the whole game plan then the snake pete carol signs them. and alex smith had the carolina game won david carr lost that for us. the carolina game would of added an extra game i believe we would of been in the playoffs. and believe me i aint know alex smith fan but he gives the offense more life than troy smith, alex would of won that rams game for us.