Kaepernick to Join Teammates Soon

Posted by Scott Kegley on May 6, 2011 – 12:12 PM

Colin Kaepernick can’t wait to join his new teammates. Communicating via Twitter can only last so long.

After the draft, Kaepernick couldn’t even wait one night to come to team headquarters, instead choosing to make the 90-minute drive from his hometown of Turlock, California.

Kaepernick took that same approach this week, telling Pro Football Talk Live that he is planning on meeting up with the rest of the 49ers veterans very soon.

“I’ve got a few of my new teammates’ numbers,” Kaepernick said. “I’ve been talking about where they’ve been working out and what they’re going to be doing during the lockout. I’m trying to coordinate with them to see if I can meet up with them and start working out with them to help build that team chemistry and make sure I’m on the same page with the rest of the team.”

One of the reasons Kaepernick is so eager to get involved is his desire to contribute in year one. Despite being labeled as a “developmental quarterback” by several draft analysts, Kaepernick has not received any such feedback from his head coach.

“Coach Harabaugh has said that the best player is going to play,” Kaepernick told PFT. “It doesn’t matter who you are, every spot on the field is earned. I’m going to do everything I can to compete for that spot and try to prove that I should be a starter.”

Kaepernick has also consulted Harbaugh’s starting quarterback at Stanford for advice on the offense he’ll be asked to learn quickly.

“I talked to Andrew Luck and everything I heard about coach Harbaugh has been amazing,” Kaepernick said. “From the little time I got to spend with him, the energy that he brings and the excitement he has for the game gets you excited to go out there and perform.”

Other notes from Kaepernick’s interview:

-Kaepernick said the early run on quarterbacks in the draft made him think that he might be selected in the first round. “I heard from my agent that the 49ers were trying trade up to the end of round one, but they couldn’t get a fair deal so they had to wait it out. Everything worked out well.”

-Kaepernick also said the 49ers coaching staff hasn’t asked him to change his throwing motion. “I think a lot of people are starting to compare me to Philip Rivers for the simple fact that our throwing motion looks a little funky but we still get the ball out quickly…That wasn’t something that [Harbaugh] was worried about.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 66 Comments »

66 Responses to “Kaepernick to Join Teammates Soon”

1. By John on May 6, 2011 | Reply

As a life long 9ER fan I am at a crossroad with Kaepernick…why?Well I am also a huge BSU fan!! But I am very excited to see some really good QB talent come our way. Lookinf forwaed to this years season. GO NINERS!!

2. By 49er1989 on May 6, 2011 | Reply

GO 49ERS IS TIME

3. By niner4life on May 6, 2011 | Reply

BYE BYE ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By Brooks on May 6, 2011 | Reply

It’s time for the 49ers to get back to their winning ways!

5. By Red Angold on May 6, 2011 | Reply

@John, I am in the same boat i am a huge bsu fan as well and feel the exact same, it still makes me sick thinking about that game!

6. By charlie on May 6, 2011 | Reply

It’s all yours colin IF you can take it from smith

7. By Tito on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping the 49ers would draft Colin. I am very happy they did. He has tremendous potential and he will be a great quarterback in the future.

8. By skippy D on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to see what this guy brings to the table/field. I literally can’t wait. I’m excited for this new coach too. I think Alex will make a quality back up on our team and Hope this pumerknickel guy can play. BRING IT! Go NINERS!!!!

9. By Deezeeniner on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I am so jazzed Colin is coming. I have followed him through high school here in the valley. Hes tall, has an arm hes fast and is intelligent. He put up the same numbers as Ca Newton and yeah, he beat BSU. Welcome back home and looking forward to the season.

10. By Jason666 on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey John, I am a life-long UNR fan, huge 49ers fan, former UNR student and Reno native but I will always cheer for Boise when they are in a bowl game. UNR and BSU have a great rivalry and the Boise State games in 1990 and last year were 2 of the most incredible wins for UNR in history. Colin is a great athlete and a great person and he’ll do whatever it takes in practice to develop the skills that it takes to win a Super Bowl.

11. By 9er4eva on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I just can’t wait to see Kaepernick and Smith believe it or not development under Harbaugh. I’m not looking for Alex to be a franchise quarterback, but if he blossoms into one under Harbaugh that’ll be awesome! With the athletic gifts that Kaepernick has and the knowledge that Harbaugh will give him that’ll be a potent mix.

12. By jose cisneros on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I always said I wanted the Niners to draft either Ponder, Dalton, or Kaepernick in the second round. i wish Kaepernick the best but I dont think he sould start right away because he needs work with his mechanics.

13. By Juan Garcia on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I’m excited about both picks, I hope its really about the best players playing and not about rookies getting time just because of there contract or hype. I’ve been a fan since 97 and I will be forever.GO 49ers

14. By Larry Ruvalcaba on May 6, 2011 | Reply

this is our year we gots ta step up n smash on our opponets!

15. By Ryan N on May 6, 2011 | Reply

What happened to Nate Davis??!!

16. By Roger Rex on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I hope we finally gt something worked out with the QB position, Troy Smith did a good job with lil NFL experience. I dont what they do with Alex Smith as far as Im concerned he can go with Mike Singletary. BYE BYE

17. By ty on May 7, 2011 | Reply

the draft this year is one of the best the niners had in a long time if we could pick up a vet. cb F/A we are giong to be great. my grade on this niners team linebackers A- D-line B- D-back C O-line B+ running backs A tight-end A QB B wide outs B If we use Bil Walsh W/C off.we will be winners

18. By Jim Dickey on May 7, 2011 | Reply

This is my first time ever making comments on any web site. I live on the east coast and always been a niners fan and never try to miss a game on TV.This year I have a feeling were taking this to the top. I think with the coaching change, everone will relax and play nineers football. ‘Oh one more thing, Take down these EAGLES DOWN PLEASE…..

19. By Jim Maybie on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Niner Fan, since 1975:

I am really “Fired Up” about this new crop, of rookies. If we can get some veteran CB help, that would go far. If Harbaugh is, the type of coach he seems to be, they should go far. GO NINERS !!!

Sacto/ Jim

20. By dusty-dad on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Given the fact that all of us like what is being said about all the drafted players, we are only going to guess at what type of career they will have in the NFL!! The Niners have gotten themselves on the right track with Harbaugh but then again has he ever been a head coach in the NFL see what I mean we all have to wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By Samori Streets on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Great attitude but actions speak louder then words so go out there and play smart fast and make no mistakes and the big plays will come

22. By turkeyniner on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I feel we are gonna be in for a long year!! I think it will be difficult for all players with this lockout, and especially the niner players with alot of change really fast and not much time to adjust. We are on the right track with Harbaugh and Co. but it will take a couple of seasons for players and choaches to mesh. When we do, look out, the sky is the limit for this franchise!! I think this could be a really good thing in that it can increase the coaching staffs chances of getting their players via the draft. Ofcourse it would never hurt if we get a little LUCK, Andrew that is!! This is a case of expect the worse and when it happens it will not hurt as much! GO NINERS!!

23. By Robert Parko on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I am looking forward to having a coach who knows Quarterbacks and how
    to attack a defense. An Offense should dictate the attack and put the defense on its heals, instead of the reverse, which is what we have had for last 5 years. I am not sure, but did anyone know we were going to run on first and
    2nd down and throw on third.

24. By Bayouboy99 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a 9ers fan since ’83. And I’ve seen some of the things they have done over the years. I wasn’t happy about it, but they were still MY TEAM. I do believe that this group of rookies along with a Vet. CB will give us the best chance to reclaim what is rightfully ours NFC WEST TITLE. Lets go SF and do what we didn’t do last season (because last season we shot ourselves in the foot in a lot of those games).

25. By chrisc on May 7, 2011 | Reply

go collin u the man me and my dad been fans 1984

26. By chrisc on May 7, 2011 | Reply

go collin me and my dad r big fans of u and more the niners go get them

27. By chrisc on May 7, 2011 | Reply

go boy get it done

28. By chrisc on May 7, 2011 | Reply

go colin bring us home

29. By Sean Gibson on May 7, 2011 | Reply

All is well but it means nothing if we don’t have a offseason!!! This damn lockout needs to end so all the new players and coaching staff can get on the same page!! Niner for life, GOOOO Niner’s!!!

30. By mavin 1 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I have watched the 9ers since 1946. I have seen all the quarterbacks from Frankie Albert to Alex Smith and all the coaches from Buck Shaw to the present. I think JH can make Alex Smith into the quarter back he is looking for. and CK will learn on the sidelines. The same as Joe Montana and Steve Young sat on the bench and went through their learning curve. I think the 9ers have a shot to get through the first round of the play offs this year and maybe go all the way to the super bowl. The Reason. No one takes them seriously. Just like the first super bowl year with Montana. No one took them seriously that year either.

31. By T123 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

why does everyone hate on alex smith honestly he is a great qb no1 gives him a chance he hasnt had 1 stable coach his whole career. i feel bad for alex cuz you so called fans hate on him… a true fan will give a player a chance

32. By ninergs on May 7, 2011 | Reply

well niner fans i think we just got a less expensive cam newton, colin is mobile and has a arm, check out his college stats. hope all works out well for us because i want the niners to return to the glory days. go niner faithfuls!!!!!

33. By Anthony on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Well I am excited about this! Colin is quick and is a good quarterback. Although switching from the NCAA to the Pros is very different. Step it up Colin and beat Alex out. None of us want him anymore, he is lazy and inconsistant! Send him to the browns, or the Lions, because it’s Kaepernick time! Good Luck Man!
    Go Niners!

34. By john on May 7, 2011 | Reply

HUGE NV Wolfpack Fan!! and I can tell a lot of NV’s will be heading to the bay to watch Kap in many years to come. Very excited for him.. I think he’ll surprise the league

35. By Nitnub39 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I’ve watched Colin on the football field every year since he first started at Nevada four years ago. He has to learn the NFL QB techniques, but he has real talent and determination.
    Go Kap!!

36. By KIMBLE/SLICE on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Amen to that i really think we got a steal at QB i mean how many more seasons are we going to go through the alex smith saga i think we as 49ers fans have given him a chance to prove himself time to go in another direction and get back to the top of the nfl as a power house team

37. By cdubz49 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

in reference to dusty-dad comment on him not have coached at this level before…tis true but he took a team in Stanford that had not won more then 5 games in how many of the past years and turned that organization into a legitimate title contender…that being said i do think it will take him a little while to get things rolling in SF but if we can bolster our DB position and get some good, quality QB play…the 49ers go from being 6-10 to 10-6 or better…but i hope for the best because its getting tough to look at the scoreboard on sundays….all in all…the 49ers are on their way up and its only a matter of time before the lombardi trophy is back where it belongs…GO NINERS!!!!

38. By captain bambam on May 7, 2011 | Reply

the best pick we had thats ready to play is the oklahoma state running back. hopefully aldon smith doesnt turn out to be another manny lawson and kaepernick a second round nobody. The good thing is that he wasnt even a first round pick so iim not gonna put all my eggs in one basketball

39. By SEAN COWDREY on May 7, 2011 | Reply

GOOD CHOICE IN DRAFT PICKS. ALDON WILL BRING SOME HEAT TO THE D WITH TKO AND WILLIS AND THE COVER CORNERS LOOKIN ALRIGHT. GREAT CHOICE JUST WHO I WANTED WITH THE QB SITUATION, THIS GUY I THINK IS THE MOST ATHLETIC QB IN THE DRAFT HES UNDER RATED LETS SHOW WHAT YOU GOT TAKE THAT STARTER SPOT

40. By Carlos Rossetti on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Vivo en México……FELICIDADES, Tenemos muchas esperanzas en tener un QB que nos lleve nuevamente a un Superbowl……era lo que nos faltaba, el resto del equipo luce muy bien

41. By lynn warren on May 7, 2011 | Reply

been a niner faithful since 1955 new qb is due for future greatness. have great expectations for this season . we have all the parts in place and a super new coach. go niners

42. By 9er4eva on May 7, 2011 | Reply

@dusty-day you make a valid point. I can’t speak for everybody else, but i’m excited because we haven’t had a true coach since Marriucci left. Both Marriucci and Harbaugh are OB guys and both run the West Coast Offense. Just so pumped about our team this year if they ever get a CBA done!

43. By gus on May 7, 2011 | Reply

u can’t hold any grudge on alex smith

44. By HW1 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Love Alex Smith he will do well in the west coast offence, just need support from niner fans and he will play well, Harbaugh see’s himself in Smith! as i recall Harbaugh didnt become the great captain comeback until later in his career, he was Alex Smith in Chicago but became very good playn for the colts! lets not let Alex get away so quickly if he goes i guarantee he will end up in the hands of another team in the NFC WEST!

45. By KILLPACKGO49 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been with the niners my entire life! I say start him, let him develop, and learn the nfl game. Go Colin! Go NINERS!

46. By HW1 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Cant wait to see Kaep play but he should sit behind Smith for two years!

47. By AlexMcD32 on May 8, 2011 | Reply

48. By WAEL on May 8, 2011 | Reply

We have been waiting for so long to C good Q,B, hopefully this season we have somebody that can throw a ball well and i cant understand why S,F, waited that long to get somebody regardless of his age

49. By Don Lambert on May 8, 2011 | Reply

we all have to wait for the teams experts to put it all together, with every player having a seperate contract why do they need a union? drop the union let every players agent get the terms and funds for his player. thats what they are payed for????

50. By Scott Bennett on May 8, 2011 | Reply

By John on May 6, 2011 | Reply

_______________________________________________________

I like you am fans of both having grew up in the Bay Area and living in Boise for over 25 years. That Brotzman miss was painful. Boise mourned for weeks.
    I am very excited to have Kaepernick having watched him over his career. He is a nice kid. The wife is torn like you though.

51. By Ernie on May 8, 2011 | Reply

At best we 9er fans won’t be beat by FAVRE ever again!! I’m thinking the RED ZONE awareness/success will win out for KAP..but you have to win the job..and then stay healthy…GO NINERS!

52. By vic on May 8, 2011 | Reply

worst thing to ever happen to the 49ers is alex smith. go for it colin.

53. By Frendalek on May 8, 2011 | Reply

Why are we holding this grudge against Alex Smith? The guy is a talented QB with good abilities and very intelligent. Try to work for a company where the boss and directives change frequently!

Don’t blame him for the misjudgments of the coaching team. Most of good players who were and are in his situation land in the field of a better team.

Booing and insulting your team’s players wont get us anywhere.

54. By John E. Cosgrave on May 9, 2011 | Reply

After attending the 49er’s draft party at the Santa Clara Convention Center, I was a little upset with some of the fans who actually boo-ed when we got Smith, and gave negative vibes to Coach Harbaugh. Come on! The coach hasn’t even masterminded a series of downs for us, yet. Yeah! I was the one that yelled out, “What about that QB from Reno?” You can imagin my pleasent supprize when we picked up Colin Kaepernick the next day. I know, they were already on that path without me.
    My reasoning was because I’m a die hard BSU fan also [too bad they will not be in San Jose every two years anymore, Loved those games, Live]; but despite how upset I was during the game with the Reno team, I had a chance to see one outstanding performance by Colin Kaepernick. If he could do that to my great team, I thought, what could he do as a 49er QB? I am looking forward to find out!!!

55. By will N on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Ok, looks like I’m in the minority here based on all these notes, but for me I’m not convinced Colin is the QB of the future. Sure he did well at UNR but let’s get real, UNR plays in the WAC.. what competition is there other than BSU? I need to see Colin compete against the SEC or Pac 12 and win tough games there before annoiting him the QB of the future. As a side note, the last WAC QB dafted in the NFL was David Carr and we all know how he worked out.

Curious to see how this plays out..

56. By keith on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Lets go 49′ers we need to win and stop embersing our self and we need to put a QB in the game that can win. I am sick of tyring of watching us choke. It is time for us to show that we are a top dog in the NFL. I have been a fan sence 1985.

57. By angels1680 on May 10, 2011 | Reply

Frendalek, I kind of agree with you about the booing but that finally stopped. every single time alex does something to show you that he’s finally arrived, he does something to disappoint you. he just has one 300 yard game (i believe one) in six years. he would have shown flashes. and no do not bring up the houston game where he ALMOST brought us back. in the end just as before-game over! he is a pro and gets paid to learn what ever the OC wants. we have been making excuses for him way to long. its time to accept him as a backup and hope that Kap learns fast. i can see coach H. and coach roman tayloring to his strength and making the playbook larger as he goes.
    we have above avg. players at almost every position, enough to make the playoffs. i think we need a FA cb. i think cb from raiders is going to be to expensive and we can get the db from the bengals who is younger. this will allow us to apply pressure from the db position and along with the other A.Smith. our D is out strength right now. we can do what the jets did with sanchez or the steelers with ben in his rookie year or even matt ryan in atl. It can be done! we are just a player or two away from being back where we belong. Go Niners!!!!

58. By ivan1234 on May 10, 2011 | Reply

hopefully colin proves he can do the job and get’s the starting job….cuz his very alented and i asure you he will be a great quaterback and very smart makeing good choices….(not like alex…)

59. By stereo1 on May 11, 2011 | Reply

Alex you now have a foot ball team of players that will beable to play at an nfl level …Alex you had 4 years to see how not to play NFL foot ball now it all good so lets play some football !!!!!

60. By George Ross on May 11, 2011 | Reply

In answer to whoever ask what happened to Nate Davis. He was picked off our practice squad by the Seachickens. About 2 weeks later they released him. I think he got caught in limbo due to the lockout. Don’t know if anyone is interested in him or not.

61. By John Perez on May 11, 2011 | Reply

WELCOME TO SAN FRAN YOUNGSTER.

62. By smuman on May 11, 2011 | Reply

The one year Alex Smith had Norv Turner on his side he did do well. Gotta wonder what Alex Smith would have been if he had not been cursed with Mike Nolan and Singletary as the HC’s. Now maybe redemption is on the way with Harbaugh as HC. But that is a very big maybe.

63. By WAYNE TULLNERS on May 14, 2011 | Reply

BEEN A FAN FOR ALONG TIME. THEY GOT THE TOOLS AND THE WEAPONS, BUT THIS IS IS THEIR REBUILDING YEAR. I EXPECT THEM TO HAVE A WINNING RECORD FOR 2011 AND GO FORTH TO THE PLAYOFFS AND BEYOND IN 2012. PUT ALEX SMITH IN BACK OF THE BUS AND LET HIM WATCH AND LEARN UNDER A UP AND COMING QB, AND LET HIM WONDER, WOW THAT SHOULD OF BEEN ME!!!!!!!!!

64. By Gunny Guenther on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Alex was given several chances(6 yrs to develope) true, he had different offensive coaches. But, last year even the Fans @ home “Booed ” him as he took the field, that should tell you some thing. 49er fans are’nt “fickle” they know that all the pieces are in place except one. A quarterback is a “field general” pure and simple…..a leader on the field. San Francisco has’nt had that in years. It shows, Alex had 6 years to lead. He chose not to….sadly.And it is time for a change let the coachs find a veteran leader quickly, develope a young’un (see above) but, most importantly let Harbaugh & crew do thier jobs completely. They have the plan in place, lets get the NFL to do thiers now. STOP THE LOCKOUT !!!! LETS PLAY FOOTBALL!!!! GOOOOO NINERS!!!!!! -Gunny

65. By batybat on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

no my oppinion of the worst thing that happened to the niners was T O that idiot brought evryone down icludeing mariuchi and yes alex should go

66. By * on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

This really is genuinely amazing media. Appreciation for giving that with people!