Montana Stops By to Visit

Posted by Taylor Price on February 2, 2011 – 4:44 PM

Before Joe Montana headed to Dallas to take part in Super Bowl festivities, he had something waiting for him in Santa Clara – none other than his Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. San Francisco 49ers Hall of Fame blazer.

The 49ers Hall of Fame quarterback visited team headquarters Tuesday night to chat with team President and CEO Jed York and pick up his special item.

Montana already has a gold blazer from his induction with the Hall of Fame’s Class of 2000, but had yet to receive his red 49ers HOF blazer.

“It’s always good to be back,” Montana said with a smile, shaking York’s hand upon entering the facility.

“It’s a pleasure to have you here,” York replied.

The two graciously allowed 49ers.com to document the blazer presentation as well as photograph Montana in his newest wardrobe item.

The legendary quarterback was clearly thrilled.

“I think it’s a tremendous honor because this is what I consider home. So to be in the 49ers Hall of Fame, it’s really special,” he said. “As a player, you don’t think about all these types of things, but as your hair turns grey a little bit, you start thinking about it more.

“I couldn’t have picked a better place to be.”

York then shared this story, a testament to Montana’s lasting legacy:

“I have one autograph in my office and it’s a football you signed for me probably 15 years ago, maybe 20 years ago, it says, ‘Keep up the family tradition.’”

“And you are,” Montana said. “We all appreciate it.”

Tags: ,

57 Responses to “Montana Stops By to Visit”

1. By Karen Almaguer on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana was, and ALWAYS will be the Best QB ever!!!!

2. By Chris Ramos on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Wow that is great to see our legendary quarterback in this beautiful blazer of the 49ers. I just think that he should of received this a very long time ago but I guess better late than never. Congratulations Joe you deserve to be in the San Francisco 49ers Hall of Fame because of what you did for our team, Thank You for everything.

3. By John Perez on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

THE LEGENDARY WARRIOR IS BACK WHERE HE BELONGS. !!

4. By Joel Penhallegon on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Well deserved, hopefully we win some more Super Bowls in the near future. When we do get back to a few more Super Bowls, we have to win them all and keep up our stat as the only team to go to multiple Super Bowls without losing any.

5. By Burt Reinhold on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Joe! You are the reason I am a Niner fan. I had the benefit of watching the best QB ever throw to the best WR ever. Thanks for the memories!

6. By Joel Penhallegon on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

We have to overtake Pittsburgh for most Super Bowl Titles and leave them in the dust!!!

7. By vicky jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Wow Joe is looking good this brought happy tears to my eyes

8. By Jorge Robledo on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I am always thrilled to death when the MIGHTY ZUES of football makes an appearance, or to even hear people utter his name> Joe Montana the greatest QB to ever walk on a football field> Congradulations Joe!

Hey Joe, Here’s a thought…How about You come back and coach us back to the superbowl? We need W’s to Honor such a great ledgend such as yourself.

Just some wishful thinking on my part> Thanks Joe Montana, your my Hero!

9. By Suzie Q. Wacvet on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

What? No photo?

10. By DaHawn49er on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Boy we sure could use another Joe Cool, You are the man Joe, 3 time mvp, 4 time super bowl champion, And on and on..

11. By Suzie Q. Wacvet on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Nevermind. Just took a minute to load.

12. By ceadderman on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

That looks better than the Gold jacket he got from Canton imho.

Joe always did fill out the cherries quite well. Would love to see this more often.

13. By henry on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

i got the montana singed jersey in a frame on my wall taking care of me from bad dreams

14. By Andrew Morrison on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Just simply the best there ever was and the best there ever will be, it was a true honour and a pleasure to watch this man weave his magic.

15. By Roy Gillihan on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I was lucky enough to have witnessed his original blossoming as a Quaterback in the win over Notre Dame and his illustrious career with the 49′ers who I watched religiously and enjoyed each and every one of his feats of winning winning and a general of the ball field he commanded without peer. Though he was traded to Kansas City at the end of his career He accepted it as a matter of business then he took Kansas City to the playoffs and this was at the end of his playing career. I was a little surprised he didnot end up in some sort of leadership in the football arena not a coach but maybe maybe a General Manager to which he could have made selections to make another Team Great.

16. By alan safholm on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see Joe back, and what an endorsement of Jed York. It just keeps getting better. I think Bill Walsh would be proud and excited about the direction the 49er organization has taken. Go Niners!

17. By Richard on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

There never be a QB that can fill his shoes.The greatest of all time!!

18. By J Parker on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Joe Cool ! None better !!

19. By Denice on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

He’s simply the BEST EVER!!

20. By Prospector on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Who cares, and who the hell are you, Reef? You should be lucky to pay $150 to have him sign, if you don’t like it tough, he’s a legend, and you are a random chump.

21. By DieHard on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith sucks!

22. By DieHard on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

…just kidding. That’s just what I expected to read when I scrolled through the comments. : P

23. By Don Lambert on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

thanks Joe Montana , saw every game you played in SF and the rest on TV.
    JOE MONTANA best ever.

24. By ChrisHansen on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

It’s so refreshing to see Jed mending the fences with Joe and all of the Niner greats. I’m loving the good vibes.

25. By ChrisHansen on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I actually have had the privalege to meet Joe before. I lke many Niner fans have lived in Northern California all of my life, so you can imagine my shock when I saw him in Detroit of all places. I was completly awestruck. Luckily I was able to compose myself, realizing that I would probably never get that opportunity again. I gathered all of the courage that I could muster and asked for his autograph. It is deffeniatly one of my favoirte memories.

26. By LastNamEvar on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Montana, 1000 x’s better than Tom (lady) Brady

27. By 49ersfanjeremy on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the memory’s joe I grew up watching you throw to the greatest wide reciever ever and became a niner fan when I was just 9 years old. It is nice to see him come back to niner nation, I think harbaugh should sign him as the qb coach or soemthing. Joe has so much football knowledge its not even funny, he needs to be hired in the organization some how some way. Congrats joe you deserve the jacket and much more

28. By United_Colors on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for doing this, Joe. We need the inspiration and the reminder what and who the 49ERs are. We do not forget.

29. By jose cisneros on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana is the best qb ever! I would now like to see Joe Montana and Steve Young patch things up because we need the Niner Empire united.

30. By lu austin on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I started out in the 70ties a ram fan…But followed gene washington when he played wide receiver for the team. And then came the 80ties..Joe Montana decade..thanks for all the great memorize Joe…

31. By Jim firestone on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mr. Montana for all those wonderful Sundays i spent watching you and my 9ers. The memories will last a life time. 49ERS ROCK!

32. By Anthony on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana was the reason I wore the #16 for my highschool football team. Niners 4life…Lets go Niners…

33. By Clark Zapper on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Yes! Now I think we’re headed in the right direction! Looks like we’ll be back to our winning ways again.

34. By raul uc on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Can we plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz get a Qb everything is in place But a Qb Smith should be the back up

35. By robin ziler on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

joe is the man untouchable in qbs the greatest to play the game

36. By Jimmy on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Went to the Niners and Rams game in Ahaheim in Dec. of 1989 when I was 8 years old. It was another Niner comeback led by the greatest of all time. I remember running from my seats down as far as security would let me, just so I could see Joe and the rest of best even closer! When I got there, all I thought was how sweet it was to be sitting there watching Montana hit the huddle with such grace. His helmet looked too big and he looked to skinny to be as good as he was, haha! two 90+ yard TD throws to Taylor, and another devastating loss for our rivals and there fans to the visitor and team they despised. Everybody wanted to be us! Best days EVER! I was a kid with no worries, getting to watch a comeback Monday night victory against the Rams. I truly believe that the Niners of the 80′s were the best team of all time!

37. By clarence marsh on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

joe montana should coach alex smith, and troy smith.

38. By Ronald Raglen on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana made my Mother so happy when she was alive! We knew that when Joe had the ball we would almost always win! Joe Montana bar none is the best quarterback I have ever seen!

39. By Trisa on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

LOVE YOU Joe Montana, you’re the best ever!!!

40. By Kory on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

I payed 300 dollars to get a ball sighned and pic with joe worth every penny.

41. By titleistmike on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Thank’s Joe ,We all miss you.

42. By juan aguilar on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

GOD BLESS M.R. JED YORK SAN FRANCISCO AND MY NINERS I KNOW IN MY HEART THAT M.R. JED WILL BRING BACK THE NINERS BACK TO WHERE THEY BELONG ON TOP OF THE WORLD HE WILL TAKE US TO THE PROMISE LAND .

43. By John Wilson on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

It was good to see Joe again. This is to the people who keep dissing Smith. The 9ers were deciding between Smith and Rodgers. They went with Smith. Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years studying under Farve. Smith didn’t get that chance with the 9ers. He had no one study under(Tim Ratty ? oh sorry for dissing Tim,but he was no Montana, or Young) then made a starter. Smith endured several offensive co-ordinaters’ 2,no 3 head Coaches, an injury, loss of job(starter) and everyone’s wrath. In short, he was a victim of circumstances, and environment, not of his making.
    Rodgers, on the other hand, after 3 seasons as a starter(after 3 seasons under Farve) is now the starting OB for the Packers in the Super Bowl . I wonder what would of happen if the 9ers drafted Rodgers, instead of Smith? Probably the same sitution Smith is in now. Smith has to take some of the responsibility, but THE 9ER COACHES AND MANAGEMENT SHOULD TAKE THE BRUNT OF THE BLAME! And Smith might be the starter for the Packers in the Super Bowl. Just a thought.

ps By the way, hiring Jim Harbaugh is a step in the right direction. Hoping for a better season….if there is a season!

44. By Steve L. on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

It was because of joe that i wanted to play football. 49ers fan forever!!

45. By Ron C on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana! the greatest field general to step out onto the Sunday gridiron. He is still the standard to which all modern QB’s are compared to. It’s good to see the York’s lay the foundation for a new relationship with JM. Maybe they should hire JM as a QB consultant.

46. By SHANNON kURTH on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Joe,
    It was great to see you receive your 49ers jacket that you so deserve! I belong to a 49er’s fan club in Phoenix, Az and so many of us still wear your jersey. You are a big reason why so many of us are 49er fans! I had the privilege of meeting Joe in the year 2000 in San Jose, Ca during an autograph session,it was right after he was inducted into the Hall Of Fame.I had my picture taken with him and received an autographed football. I was fortunate at that time to tell him that he was the greatest quarterback that ever played the game, I will never forget that moment!

Congratulations!

47. By Nancy Barbetto on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana, the best quarterback ever, made me proud
    to be a 49er fan. Will never forget you. God Bless you.

48. By Patrick on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

I am a 49er fan in London. I was at the Niners vs Broncos game at Wembley in My 49er shirt along with my wife. I been in Love with the 49ers for over 20 years, since 1988. Mr JOE MONTANA is the reason for my Love for the Niners.
    Joe Cool was just the Very Best in the history of the NFL..(Sorry Jerry).
    Montana, Rice, Jones, Craig, Lott, Ratham, Young, Taylor, coach Walsh are all these guys are my Hero’s. I had the most Amazing day at Wembley. The 49ers had a 49er Hall of Fame exhibition, with Super Bowl Trophies and Super Bowl Rings and lots of Football stuff. IT WAS JUST THE VERY BEST THING EVER!!!
    Plus we won the game, ACE!!
    Lets Go Niners, Lets Go!!
    MONTANA 4EVER # 1..

49. By MJ Cardillo on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

There have been some great Quaterbacks over the years. Joe is the best Quaterback ever bar none. He has proved himself to be a winner over and over again in the big games, no one has made it look easer than Joe. I am a diehard 49er fan and always will be. All the new changes taking place on the 49ers staff I see a bright future with the 49ers. Lets go 49ers.

50. By joe siiga on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Joe Montana for all the Great Super Bowels we had with the 49ers

51. By Chris Mayne! on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

ninerssssss we got this next season! our qauterback sucks tho

52. By Louie on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Joe Montana, Joe cool, superbowl Joe, is the greatest.

I wish Joe could get back to the 49ers, quarterback coach or something.

His a living legend.

53. By Most Faithful on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

The look on Jed’s face tells it all. Joe will always be the greatest in this fans book. Thanks for all the years and the ride Joe!

54. By 49er Fan From NYC on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

great comments everything i would have said about the greatest qb in football history..as a teenager i idolized you i had a big door poster of you and bought anything that had the 49er logo even a car air freshner when i had no car all because of number 16..i am a diehard football fan because of you..and although the 9ers have stumbled in the 2000;s you left me and every niner fan with a lifetime of memories that even if we never make another superbowl im good with what i saw you rice,craig,lott,jones,and so on do..thank you!

55. By Down Under 49er on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

This guy and the guys that he threw to, are the reasons I started to watch and came to love this game of yours. Watching a recent edition of Americas Game just reinforced it. The respect that he had from his team mates and the fans was amazing, and to see that he is still held in such high regard is fantastic. The word “Legend” tends to get overused sometimes, but not when you are talking about Joe Montana. I will stick with this team no matter how things have gone recently.

56. By MIKE L on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

feb 10 2011 i was just watching the NFL CH. they were sayin that(basicly) we should give alex smith another chance. hes had 7 years of chances already .last season he was 3-7 as a starter .what does that say.come on man find a new or better qb 3-7 with 7 years under belt aint it i like the other smith reminds me of vick.

57. By Will Moore on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

The 80′s were like Camelot, he was our King Arthur, and the rest is history. Thank you Joe for making us believe that no matter what the Niners never were out of any game, any season. You set a bar so high that others can only look up at it and wonder what it is like up in that rarefied air you breathe. From 81, with DC and Freddie and the Goal Line Stand, to 84 and maybe the best ever, to 88 and 89 repeat champs, thanks for al the memories!