Iupati Named to All-Rookie Team

Posted by Sam Good on January 18, 2011 – 11:28 AM

All season long, Mike Iupati showed why the 49ers selected him 17th overall in the 2010 NFL Draft.

The rookie left guard started all 16 games, and on Sunday he was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie Team, which is selected by Pro Football Weekly and the Pro Football Writers Association.

At 331 pounds Iupati is the heaviest player on the 49ers, but don’t let his weight fool you. He’s as athletic as any guard in the game, often paving the way for 49ers running backs by pulling around to the right side and meeting would-be tacklers at the next level.

Still though, Iupati isn’t satisfied. He knows he played well in his rookie season, but he wants to get better. A lot better.

“I can’t look at any part of my game and say it’s complete or I don’t need to improve on it,” he said. “I think I can become a lot better player if I work on my technique and footwork and all of those little things. That’s why I’m not taking any time off this offseason.”

Here’s a list of the complete All-Rookie Team:

Specialists
PK Clint Stitser / Bengals
P Zoltan Mesko / Patriots
PR Marc Mariani / Titans
KR Jacoby Ford / Raiders
ST T.J. Ward / Browns

This is the second All-Rookie team Iupati was selected to. Last week, the 23-year-old was named to Sporting News’ all-rookie team, as selected by a panel of NFL scouts and SN writers and editors.

Tags:

17 Responses to “Iupati Named to All-Rookie Team”

1. By HOPE on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Mike! I hope you continue to pave the way for our runners for a long time. Its great to see the look on the defenders faces as you pull on a run! Good stuff!

2. By niner4life on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

congrats to mr. iupati, good rookie season. hope to see your skills impove even greater then what they are over the years while with the niners. lead us to a ring please. it has been a while!

3. By Jonah on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike Iupati you are a beast. Probably will be one of the best Gaurds in the league soon. Your technique is superb and I know Frank Gore loves running behind your back. I’m glad we picked you up. You do so much of our dirty work, you are by far the best line we have next to Joe Staley.

4. By jose cisneros on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

We should have drafted him first before Anthony Davis he has cost us alot of games

5. By Matt on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Should have drafted Bulaga instead of Davis

6. By Tauboiz on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike you are above and beyond everyone’s expectations. keep up the hard work and remember “Winning is isn’t everything, it’s the only thing!!!” Champions are not born but made. All of us are happy for your success and look forward to following your incredible career as a 49er…Much Alofas Bruddah Mike!!!!!!

7. By Tauboiz on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike I meant “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing!!!!”Jus ask Ashley!!!!!Keep slammin’ the competition.

8. By Yasith de Silva on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Easy ppl Davis is still very young…next year btoh of them will be in the Pro Bowl….mark it down
    Congratulations Mr.Iupati.

Yas from Sri Lanka

9. By James on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Yep… I would have to agree on the Davis part. From the beginning I thought we should have picked someone other then Davis, cause what I read up on him is that he haves work ethic problems… but I thought maybe they know something about him that the publishers said about him didn’t. On the other hand though I think if pushed enough times he can get better in time.

10. By BIGGCHUGG on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

MALO BIG USO….KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SOLE. YOU ARE MUCH APPRECIATED ON THE 49ERS SQUAD. YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION TO THIS TEAM SHOWS IT ALOT…HOPEFULLY YOU CAN FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEPS OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLAYERS OF THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS – JESSE SAPOLU.
    ONE LOVE USO….BIGG CHUGG – representing from the island of GUAM

11. By BR on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

IUPATI SHOULD OF BEEN ALL PRO

12. By monk4399 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

A Beast from the day I met you at fan day 2010!!! Keep us pushin n we’ll see you in the 9er’s Hall of Fame!!!! OO and your boy A.Davis 2!!!! Gotta Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!

13. By James on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I think our line is on the right track and I see Iupati being an all pro by next year… and maybe his work ethics will rub off on Davis and we’ll see him getting up there and on the other side Staley… all we need now is a solid Center and we’re gold on the OL.

14. By Fawken Niners on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Man I was hoping they recognize my USO for something man.. I see him out there pushing weight boy.. Congrats Mike hope to see you next season and if better is the key.. Lets all see it and you’ll be sure to have our support..

15. By Hermie on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

That is great for Mike…as I have said all year, it takes a little bit longer to develop on the O-line, Iupati isn’t the norm. I was really happy to draft he and Davis in the first round as the line will develop as long as they can stay healthy…Staley will be back next year and we will only get better. If Gabbert is there at the 7th pick, I say the niners should take him, otherwise a d-back at 7 and QB later.

16. By John on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Mike. You have everything I’ve been waiting for in one of our drafted guards since the 80′s. I see you are not taking any time off. This will pay off next year. I can feel it. I don’t remember seeing but a couple of false starts or penalties from you all year!

17. By Jarvis on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for a good season Mike. Next will be only better!

Signed,