49ers Season Ends Prematurely

Posted by Taylor Price on January 3, 2011 – 4:30 PM

The 49ers set out to win the NFC West at the start of the season. It was an accomplishment that would have stopped the franchise’s streak of seven consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance. But on Monday, one day after the team finished at 6-10 and out of the postseason, players packed up their lockers and did their best to come to grips with a season that got away from them.

For most, the reality of packing up their belongings so early was a concept they never envisioned.

The 49ers finished one game short of accomplishing their goal. With a 4-2 record in the division, they tied with Seattle for the best mark in the NFC West. But it was their 0-5 start, along with a Week 16 loss in St. Louis that ultimately left the 49ers on the outside looking in.

However, disappointment will be turned into fuel for the offseason. The players have no other choice but to look it as such.

Players like cornerback Tarell Brown have circled the upcoming months as a chance to strengthen their skills. Brown said he normally would take a couple of weeks off after the regular season ends, but that’s not the case this year. The fourth-year cornerback will take one-week break and then get back to training for the 2011 season.

“I’m taking it to the next level as far as my workouts are concerned,” Brown said one day after he finished the season with a 62-yard interception return for a touchdown. “I enjoy doing it, so for me, I’m going to take my regiment to the next level.”

Also unhappy with how the season went, second-year wideout Michael Crabtree said his goal for the offseason is work his way on the NFC’s 2012 Pro Bowl roster. “If I’m playing in the Pro Bowl, I guarantee we’re going to have a great season,” he said.

Preparation is something the players can focus on at the present time. There’s a lot of uncertainty for the 49ers heading into the offseason. No general manager has been named and that same hire will select the 49ers next head coach.

Coupled with a potential labor stoppage, the players aren’t sure how the next few months will unfold. All they know is that whoever enters the 49ers organization in those unfilled roles, they’ll inherit a talented and hungry roster.

“Whoever gets the job is going to be extremely proud of the guys we have in this locker room and what we bring to the table,” defensive captain Patrick Willis said.

The future head coach will already have a perennial Pro Bowl linebacker to lead the defense, but faces uncertainty at the quarterback position. Alex Smith enters free agency this offseason and said he will evaluate his future based on what happens with the 49ers GM and coaching searches in the coming weeks.

“I’ll wait for that stuff to get ironed out and then make a decision,” he said.

Smith had a tumultuous run as the 49ers starting quarterback over the course of six NFL seasons, but never let it get the best of him. Asked to describe his time in San Francisco, Smith replied, “Ups and downs. But I think that’s everywhere. Most of the places in the NFL, you’re going to have ups and downs.

“I’ve been around a lot of great people, made a lot of great friendships, a lot of great relationships, ones that I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life.”

Smith spoke confidently of his development with the team this season, after he completed 14 touchdowns and threw 10 interceptions in posting his best quarterback rating (82.1).

“I feel like I’m in the best place I’ve ever been. This is the best quarterback I’ve been, the best I’ve felt physically. I feel like I’ve continued to grow… I still have a lot of football left ahead of me.”

Players under contract with the 49ers undoubtedly feel the same way, that’s why packing up right after Week 17 is so difficult to grasp.

“You see the potential that we have on this team, to let it go to waste is frustrating,” Willis added. “But it wasn’t just one person, one group. We all had a part in this and we have to find a way to get it right.”

2011 Opponents Uncovered

The dates and times of the 2011 NFL regular season schedule will be released at a later date, but the 49ers know who they will face home and away next season.

At home, the 49ers will host the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers. On the road they’ll square off against the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions, Baltimore Ravens, and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Odds and Ends

The 49ers defense finished second in the NFL holding opposing rushers to 3.5 yards per carry. The unit finished as the league’s 13th-overall defensive unit, allowing 327.8 yards per game.

Tight end Vernon Davis finished 2010 with five catches of 40 yards or more. No other NFL tight end had more than two this season.

Willis posted a career-high 6.0 sacks and finished tied with James Farrior and Kevin Burnett for most sacks by an inside linebacker in the NFL this season.

Tags: , , ,

80 Responses to “49ers Season Ends Prematurely”

1. By William V. on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Keep Alex Smith! He has potential to become the best QB’s! He can finish the job! He just needs time to throw it! Don’t Let him go!!! D:

2. By HOLLIS L. GRIFFIN on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

NEED A QUATERBACK

3. By Donna Galindo on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I have been a 49ers fan for years. I absolutely love the team. I am so disappointed on this season, I thought we would win this season. I really think it is the coaching and not the players fault for having a losing season. Please, please I hope all the players stay and the owners need to spend good money on a big name coach. I hope it is Gruden. That would be awesome!

4. By David on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Something tells me not even Jed York knows what hes going to do now!

5. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I am happy with my team, I believe in them, and believe 2011/2012 will be the season of the 9ers. I hope and pray that Alex stays with our team. I believe that Alex will take this team to the next Superbowl and win. 6 time champs. Go 49ers……. See you at the draft.

6. By grant on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

well i am disappointed in the team to say the least! We all know we have a very young and talented roster, and excellent coaches, however there seemed to be a lack of will on the players to actually play at a NFL level week in and week out. I do not see how anyone with the 49ers and be please at the level of performance we got from our players, it lacked at every level of play. Blame coaching, blame Alex, whatever, it was a team effort!! and a complete failure at every level. I only hope we will higher a proven GM and coach, and not try to develop our own in house. This will be the test of the ownerships commitment to its fans and those who supported the new stadium, anything less is simply more of the same. I for one will wait to see who they bring in before i think of the 2011 season!

7. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Lets be positive David, Mr. York knows what he is doing. We just need to spend good money on a head coach like Tony Dungey. Our team is a young strong growing team. I believe that Tony Dungey will take our team in the right direction. Blessings to the 49er team, Owners & staff, that in the season to come we will prevail. Stay humble and positive my team, blessing to all the true fans that would buildup the team and not put them down, who stayed positive win or lose. 2011 is the beginning of great things to come. Stay focused, ignore the nagative nasayer fans that are not true faithful fans that need to go find another team. Stay true to your 9er team. Go 49ers…….See you all next season, God bless!

8. By die_hARd_49eRSfaN on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

that dude is on crack to say bring alex back!!!!! that alex is a BUST all are fans kno dat

9. By Holistic Medicine on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s ok 49ers, we will draft really well, and get some FA help, and a new HC, GM and QB! Next year will be dynamite!

10. By CL33 on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Did you guys hear Crabtree? He’ focus on making himself into a Pro bowler next year…sound like he care more about himself than the team. This is the guy who hold out on his contract and gave up on his route on the last game.

11. By JD708 on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

JR I love your positive attitude but you are high. Smith is done. The coaches did a poor job and the players executed poorly. How can you say that Mr York knows what he is doing? To one person on our current team has had any NFL success. Losing in professional sports is not a good thing. Trying hard is expected and compensated monetarily. This is not little league and not everyone deserves a trophy for playing.

Jed could do us all a favor and hire people who have proven themselves to be winners. Niners need more talent at several positions to be an elite team but have the talent to be successful now (as is). Lets see a coach with a Super Bowl ring. Gruden is my guy. He had the Raiders close (arguably bad call) and the next year took the Bucs to a SB win. He knows how to win in the NFL and can put together a team that will not look so lost on the field.

Harbaugh seems to be the real deal as a coach but he’s only won in college. I think the time has come to stop taking chances and hire a PROVEN winner with NFL experience.

12. By jarhead on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I also hope Alex stays. He has never been given the support i.e a differnet coordinater every year. Have you ever worked at a job where your boss changes evey year. If he leaves I am going to call him THE GHOST because he will be back to haunt us. Remember Jim Plunkett, he was bood also but what did he do when he got to the raiders. It is a TEAM sport so I blame the entire team and the head coach we had. Inconsistency does not create winners. Management hired the last three lousy coaches not Alex.

13. By Brian on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

new coach, new quarterback, and some more team players. screw Crabtree and all the other look at me players on our team. I love the 9ers and always have but they gotta wanna win as much as we want them to

14. By Anthony on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I am on the fence on Alex. Another year has gone by where they switch coordinators on him benched him started him benched him. He showed moments of greatness like against the saints in the last few minutes the D lost that game and many others, Alex didn’t fumble in Atlanta. We lost Gore with 4 weeks left I believe and We would have beaten the rams with a Healhty Gore. Can alex be great…SURE…but will and can he do it in a 49ers uniform I don’t know. I we needed a new coach I love singletary’s attitude but he was indecisive. I’ve never seen an offense with less flow to its game, and a great defense.

We need a coach that will give some flow to the offense and some grit to the defense. Lets get this thing right next year. I want to raise my daughter to be proud of my football team.

15. By Rob on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

@die_hARd_49eRSfaN…….that JR Baca from New Mexico is always posting his Alex Smith is great…..BLAH BLAH BLAH …BULL-SH&T, but just ignore him like everyone else does, the guy is just as much of a JOKE as Alex and unfortunately the Niners forums can only screen out some, not ALL of the CRACKHEADS!!!

16. By bobcat2u on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Well, it was definitley a disappointing season. Hopefully in the off season we will get a coach that is serious about our teams success and not just a look at me coach like Sing. We alson need to bring in an experienced QB that maybe will bring some confidence and leadership to our team. Someone they can believe in. It,s just going to take some small steps to make our boys the contenders we all know they can be. Good luck on our next season. 9ers4ever.

17. By mac dre on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

no matter who we get as head coach next year.. give them the a chance to make it work.. remember fans bill walsh did not turn this franchise around in his 1st or 2nd years of being here.. in his first year they posted the same record as the year before in his 2nd they improved and in the third they went to the superbowl. depending on who they hire give them the chance to make it work.. if they get another cheap head coach who doesn’t know x’s & o’s then yea, don’t support them.

18. By WRIGGY kNITE on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I think Alex played great for most of the year and it was a HUGE mistake to bench him. After that, the team just gave up and singletary lost their respect. If they hadn’t benched Alex, we may have made to playoffs. I hope he’s back next year cause I just can’t image Vernon Davis catching Td’s from someone else.

19. By 49er faithful on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

The Defense lost 6 of the 10 loses.

20. By 9erforever on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Bad coaching, bad season. For last 6 yrs.

Get a good GM, Head Coach, and coaching staff and we will be in the playoffs.

21. By david donelson on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

if and when jed york gets his gm and new head coach. you can lead a horse to water but you can<t make him drink. point being . players coahes have to work together. or nothing gets done. it doesnot matter who you bring in. if the gm and coach and players can get along . then the sf49ers migth have a chance to get to the playoffs. the teams that made tha playoffs had . good coaching staff. and players that worked well. together.

22. By carlbnsn on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

please keep alex!! He has potential

23. By Tim McCullough on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I love my Sanfrancisco 49ers. I have been their fans for my whole life. And I live outside Washington DC. I liked Singletary. Not sure of Jed York, we will see. I would have demoted him, never fire a defense coach. Go get Harbaugh, and then shut up. You have the most talented team in the NFL. (..for youngs guys; MINN – old) c’mon JED.

24. By Dennis on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Harbaugh/Luck

25. By rogd on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Jed York and Trent Baalke should look at getting a veteran quarterback, such as kyle orton or donovan mcnabb. hell, even someone like kevin kolb, matt flynn, or josh johnson would even be a dramatic improvement from anyone currently present on our roster. I say do what it takes with possibly a 2nd or 3rd rounder to acquire someone who has shown established talent in the league, if necessary and then use the 1st rounder on secondary help for christ’s sake. Finally, the head coaching job’s gotta go to either jim harbaugh, john gruden, steve mariucci, brian billick, or hue jackson if Mr. York wants to see a winning season anytime in this new decade.

26. By Jerome Johnson on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

A life long fan of the 49ers although I live in Philadelphia, I must say that this season although very dissappointing showed that we have the players to compete with the best teams in the league.

KEEP ALEX SMITH YORK FAMILY. I think Alex Smith who I have been a huge supporter of, showed great promise this year. With this being the first complete group of talent on offense around him at every position, he performed well as the season progressed by eliminating the turnovers (1 INT since the Eagles game) and moving the offense. If we stick with him we need to bring in a veteran qb to mentor him and a drafted qb. However make him the definite starter for the season because thats something he has not had since Norv Turner left, a coach that sticks with him no matter what. Remember he is only 26 and VD has always praised Alex Smith as his QB.

Singletary messed up by continuing to start Troy Smith after the Bucs shutout and to me that cost him his job and I think lost the locker room for him. Also make sure that between the HC or OC should it change that you bring in an experienced and successful offensive mind for Alex to work with. Tomsula might work tho because he has been successful as a head coach in NFL Europe and the team seems to really love playing for him.

Also cut or trade the following players in this order: David Carr, Parys Harylson and Troy Smith, And Nate Clements although I love his effort just doesn’t seem to live up to the expectations consistently like he did his first 2 years here, If nothing else restructure his contract and limit his role or something. Sorry Nate. Keeping my eye on Spencer too. He gave up some big plays this year too. Still don’t know who Dave Gettis is. SMH.

Other than that, GO NINERS!!!

27. By Jay on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

PLease 49ers look into Tyrod Taylor! I know he lost in the orange Bowl, But if you noticed he is able to keep plays alive with his legs and back in college he was the winningest qb.
    But I hope 2011 is our year! GO 9ers!!!

28. By joe on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

49ers will be in the playoff this coming year.i kow tis for sure.

29. By jake on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I would hate see Alex smith go some where and be a great qb so I say keep him not only has he had 6 off cord in 6 years he has never had a vet backup to help him so they should keep him and bring in a Kitna or Ortin

30. By Coul Hill on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I have been a 49er fan my entire life. I too thought that this season would have been entirely different than it turned out. From my perspective there are three major areas that seriously need FRESH BLOOD in order for the team to move forward and have a successful season in 2011. Obviously, these three areas I am referring to are the GM, head coach, and quarterback positions. I believe that the GM should NOT be hired from within, nor should the head coach. Both of these jobs need to be filled by someone who is capabable of bringing new life to the 49ers rather than continuing what has been happening for the last many seasons. The 49ers need a top level aggressive general manager that can work with a top-shelf coach like Gruden. At the quarterback position new blood is also needed. I have been a fan of Alex since he has been in San Francisco but I don’t believe he is capable of being successful as the 49ers starting quarterback, there has been too much dissapointment for the team to overcome without NEW BLOOD! I would not be against keeping Troy Smith as a back up though because he does not carry the stigma (plethora of losses) that Alex does. A major focus that I hope the 49ers do take is in retaining the defense as well as the offensive stars like Davis, Gore, Westbrook, etc.

31. By tru9erfan on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Bring back Alex Smith next year and go out and get Brian Billick. Oh yeah and use that first rounder on a cover corner and put Nate Clements at the safety spot.

32. By Lawrence on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I love the 9ers. Lookin forward to next year. Alex Smith is not ready to be an nfl qb maybe a backup with a good veteran qb but I just dont think the niners can with him. I think Troy Smith did a better job than Alex Smith at the qb position, but we need a veteran like Donavon McNabb and good gm and HC. I think the 49ers last coaching staff was terrible what I wanna know how can u have a star player like Brian WestBrook and he has over 100 yards in the Arizona game and then turn right around has to share carries with a rookie the next game not taking nothin away from Dixon but Westbrook score touchdowns has experience and should have took over for Gore.

33. By Big 9er on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Hows many OCs does it take to prove Alex Smith can’t play in the Big Leagues? Alex would make a decent back up for another team and not for the 9ers. The longer Alex Stays the longer the 9ers will be mediocre. Remember when Shawn Hill came out of no where to play fairly well in the system Alex Smith was failing in?!? Get real.

34. By CL33 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Our corner is not good enough? Nate Clement seem to be a good enough corner. Who can we draft in the corner position?

35. By grant on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

well, now we have a rookie GM, lets hope we do get an experinced and proven coach

36. By 57NINER on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Ol Jed just can’t let go. Never played the game. (majored in retail sales-nice suit)
    and within one week of firing Sing (thank god) after all of his exhaustive searching; hires his b*tt buddy Trent! Well, here is to arrogance and stupidity.
    We fans have just been (congressionally b*tchslapped) put aside as nobodies,
    and someone with no knowledge continues to destroy the team. Nice moves;
    will find something else constructive to do with 2011. Adios!

37. By bender on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

well already the niners are screwing the pooch, so much 4 finding a good gm. this balke guy is the same idiot who drafted that worthless piece of crap davis with our first pick and keeps no talent players like shawnte spencer on the team, he cant evaluate talent at all so we are doomed to dwell in the cellar until the niners get serious about finding real nfl gm and coach

38. By L.G on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Why do people want brian billick? No NFL team has pursued him in years, he runs a boring offense…

39. By az 9ernut on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

go 9ERs

40. By az 9ernut on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

GO 49ERS AND DO IT RIGHT NEXT SEASON

41. By Hermie on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

If you loook at my blog from last Sunday…”Baalke is a lock”! Came true…not sure if we can get a distinguished HC with an inexperienced GM. I will keep my fingers crossed. Harbaugh seems to be a front runner, but it worries me that he doesbn’t have the NFL experience and we may be headed for more “experimentation” if he is hired as HC. Alex will never be more than a mediocre QB at best!

42. By 49ers4ever on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I love the NINERS forever, true NINER fan. The team were great in 6 games, but 10 games we lost were too many. The future for our NINERS should be really clear, they should first forget last season. Our NINERS need to get back to being the best and be the most hated team by none-NINER fans. Sure our NINERS have a lot on their plate for next season, so does the other team that will not win the Super Bowl, but our NINERS need to focus on the 10 games we lost. Yes, I said forget last season, because it’s over, but our NINERS are getting better, our players are more focus to winning. We just need better leadership and our NINERS need to focus on the big WHYs of how we lost those 10 the games, and to fix them for the next season. Our NINERS are young and hungry for another Super Bowl, the only team that has won 5 Super Bowl and never lost at the big game. I believe the promise land is in our NINERS future, we just need to get there us a TEAM. Our TEAM need to focus on winning every game, and not as individuals. It’s not a secret on how to get to the Super Bowl, because everybody knows you have to be really hungry for that big game. Winning every game is the big key, and being the only TEAM to be feared again is another bonus. I remembered when none-NINER fans used to say, “oh, Jesus the NINERS won again!” I miss those comments. I am a 49ER fan forever, and will always believe the Our NINERS will be back to glory. We will dominate every other team in the NFL again, and I would give anything to hear those comments again.

43. By Ryan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Can everyone please stop asking to keep Alex? HE IS A BUST. GET OVER IT. Most of the pro’s in the league as well as former pros (steve young to name one) do not believe Alex has was it takes to be an NFL QB. Whether he will play well on another team or not, it does not matter. It is time to move on. There are plenty of other apples on the tree. I think most people feel sorry for Alex because he truly is a nice guy, the type you would want your daughter to marry. But thats where it ends. He is not Starting NFL QB caliber people

44. By Mustytoes on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I just want to say (if possible, without bad mouthing Alex) Isn’t it time for a fresh start? QB is hands down the most important spot on the team, and unless your a complete idiot, ours isn’t working. There’s not one quarterback on the roster I’d want to be a long term starter. I like Troy, and who knows about Nate Davis…but its time to bring a big name to SF. Bring back the west coast offense! The 49ers have some of the best offensive weapons in the league, let’s start maximizing their potential and find someone who can get them the ball!!!!

45. By L.G on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Yes I agree it is time to move on at QB position…I can’t handle an other year of excuses fans make for him if he struggles. I wish him the best…He may do well in a different system. Someone will snag him as a back up but not a starter. I know everyone want Hardbaugh however college coaches don’t do so well always as HC in the NFL. It’s just a different beast…Look what happen with Dennis Erickson. Why not go for a proven NFL coach? There are some good names available…I don’t want to see an other experiment gone bad…

46. By Hermie on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I am kinda with you L.G….Harbaugh doesn’t have the NFL experience, which kind of scares me. I would rather see him come in as an O.C., but don’t see that happening. I think I would rather have a proven head coach, although there has never been a coach win a Superbowl with one team and go to another team and win one…I would take my chances on a proven one. That being said, I think Harbaugh could do better than Ericksonn, Nolan or Singletary. I think there are some good names out there.

47. By 49er4lifefan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

What do you call the Saint’s game vs. the Hawks?
    Answer: A first round bye for the Saints

48. By PAniners on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Are you people who keep saying keep alex on crack or just fans of other teams. The reason he had so many different offensive coordinators is because no matter what they have done, he is still lousy. I’d like to blame the defense for some of the losses but when the offense can only muster 17 points or less I can’t really say why did the defense let them score. One good game against a cardinals team that didn’t show up to play and everyone’s on the bandwagon just like when he beat the rams and lions to end last year. How many years of no offensive production does it take for people to see this. Evidently more than six. Especially with the weapons on offense.

49. By 9erforever on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

PAniners just a thought: It is premature to evaluate any player without a good coaching staff.

50. By John Perez on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

the 49er are so awsome

51. By John Perez on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

HERES TO HOPING BAALKE CAN BRING IN THE RIGHT GUY FOR THE JOB AT HC. IM STILL HOPING ITS GRUDEN.

52. By Keith Wood on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Jed York is such a liar! He said after firing Singletary that he was, “Going to get a GM with experience and then have the GM select the coach.” What does he do???? hires from within once again and someone that has NO EXPERIENCE as a GM in Trent Baalke. York is like a Jimmy Jones wanna be, he wants to run the whole show, he might as well just come on down and coach from the sidelines. So much for hiring someone with experience. I can’t wait to see who the new coach is, probably someone from within, like the waterboy, oh oh probably the laundry coordinator!

53. By Ninerman on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I think Harbaugh would be an excellent pick as a coach. He was hand selected by Mr. Bill Walsh to succeed him as the coach at Stanford. He has got Walshs fire in him. Bring him to the Niners. And while your at it, don’t let Greg Manusky go. He belongs in the Bay Area too. The draft isn’t that important to us this year. We have the talent to win. Focus on resigning key free agents (Goldson, Baas, Franklin, Spikes…..etc). Frank Gore needs a strong back up. Dixon may fit that but keep Westy too. Our offense is stale. Running the ball up the middle over and over. Go after a good OC and lets bring the winning back to SF. Mr. Harbaugh, San Francisco is the place you need to be. Hop on board and lets go win a 6th Superbowl. Go NINERS!!!

54. By LOTT42 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

GET GRUDEN!! – That would be amazing- He could be a GREAT 49ER coach and rally the team. RED AND GOLD CHUCKIE!! Yeah baby, the guys a legendary coach and could bring the team to the superbowl!!!

55. By rex on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

let alex go

56. By Jez on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Go for Harbaugh and trade up to get Andrew Luck with him.

57. By Hermie on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Sounds to me like they are going after Harbaugh pretty hard…turned a college program around, but has no real NFL experience so worries me a little about that. Large part will be who the HC brings in for O.C. and D.C. and whether he allows them to run their side of the football.

There will be some good coaches let go yet that could be decent OC/DC for us.

58. By ty on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

alex smith is not the answer and whoever is saying we should keep alex is on crack. we need a better secondary, better qb and better coach bottom line.

59. By Juanito on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

congratulations Jed. . . You could have hired Lombardi as the GM who has CLOSE ties to Harbaugh and Josh McDaniels. Im not saying McDaniels is the best but he would be a good offensive coordinator, but instead you try to save the change in your purse and hire from within. Thanks alot. We could have had a stellar coaching staff but you blew it. You clearly dont know what you are doing.

60. By Hermie on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

As NFL.com and NFL Network previously reported, the 49ers’ front-office structure could be a considerable hindrance to the team landing Harbaugh, who clearly is the top candidate.

Had the 49ers changed their structure and been willing to hire an outside GM, then meet the financial threshold that Harbaugh is commanding on the market, they could have built a dream staff, according to sources.

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi interviewed for the GM position Tuesday in San Francisco. Lombardi has strong ties to Harbaugh, but also McDaniels, with the possibility of having McDaniels as offensive coordinator and another former head coach as defensive coordinator.

Sounds like Harbaugh will take the 7mill being offered by Miami…but who knows!

61. By Hermie on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Harbaugh is seeking a deal worth around $6.5 million per season, which Pete Carroll received from the Seattle Seahawks last year to leave USC. And while several people close to Harbaugh have advised him against going to the 49ers because of their front-office structure, he has received more favorable reports on Ireland and the Dolphins.

Just what I was afraid of!!

62. By Clyde Cranston on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Jed York would make a great politician.

His statement after firing Singletary was, “We are going to get a GM with experience and then have the GM select the coach.”

Then turns around and hires from within once again. He hires from within the same guy that has been there through the crumbling of a great team. I sure hope that Trent Baalke has some hidden talents that we haven’t seen yet.

Sorry to say folks but the Family York is trying to out do Bidwell and Arizona for finding ways to make money with a non winning team. As long as The Yorks own the team it will be a loser . . . . Good luck for the San Jose Niners.

63. By PETERD on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

andrew luck will stay at stanford, it was announced today. doubtful harbaugh would come to niners.i agree that college coaches have a tough time in the NFL (although carroll didn’t do too badly). whether alex is good enough to stay or not is almost irrelevant. he has a reputation and an image that means to me we should seek anoth QB — better for us, better for him.

64. By jake on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Jed york is to dumb to run this time. he has to spend money to make money 4.5 million for harbaugh who he wants then dophens offer 8 million. he is to cheap to run a nfl team

65. By John Perez on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I dont know what the big deal is about Harbaugh. The dude is a little over .500 as coach of Stanford. Miami could keep him I say, Jed needs to go after Gruden or even Brian Billick at least they know what it takes to make it to the BIG DANCE.!!!! Jed stop low ballling let go of the MONEY. The fans demand it.

66. By David on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

We’re going to have a lot of seasons like this unless A. Jed York grows a foot ball mind , or B. he hires someone that does!

67. By David on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think the 49ers could not have worse ownership.They need to be on top 5 list in all sports combined.

68. By 49ermarc on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Rob smokes crack and he is couch QB… Shut up moron! True 49er fan this guy is stay positive dip Sh#T!

I like Alex, but I really dont know if he should stay? 6 seasons with Alex and look at where we are at. Sure Alex had some moments that he really shined but they were There are too many things that went wrong this season.

69. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

We have a great young team that is going to be so awesome this next season. The right coaching staff will make it happen. We as fans need to stay positive & look forword to what is ahead. What ever happens, happens. The 9ers are in God’s hands. When they played Arizona last Sunday, they not only played real well, they were having fun, having a great time out in the field. I am looking forword to next season and how much better our team will be. You all have a blessed 2011, see you next season, SF 49ers 2012 Superbowl Champions! Go 9ers…….

70. By adam on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

The niners need to pick the cb from LSU Patrick Peterson

71. By patrick on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

I can not beleive yall like alex smith he played horrible playing good sometimes is not enough singletary tried mixing it up like he should why stay with a QB who keeps losing and throwing interceptions and you cant depend on he gave him another chance and he messed up some more I say get rid of him for real when your interceptions match your TD something is wrong wake up people we the home of QB legends and no one we have right now comes close to that why do all these NFL teams keep losing QBs for so many years get rid of them bums starting with Alex Smith

72. By Frank on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

KEEP ALEX SMITH!!!

73. By Frank on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Keep Alex Smith and let the new coach mentor him. Afterall, Jim Harbaugh is a great qb coach. Or at least let the new coach decide, and not idiotic fans who forget Alex had a horrible offensive line. They rarely gave him adequate protection, and the poor guy had to put up with crappy coaches, and a new offensive coordinator for every season. Stupid Mike Nolan made him play when his shoulder was dis located with torn ligiments, etc. I say bite your pride, keep Alex, and with Harbaugh, all will be well. Even if we draft a new QB in the draft, he won’t start for a year, so let Alex fianally play behind decent coaching.
    ie Remember Jim Plunkett, Let’s not be dumb, keep Alex Smith.

74. By Linda on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree, keep Alex Smith, give him protection, decent coaching, a west coast offense, and I think things with be just fine.

75. By Spencer on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

I have to agree with moth posts. I was sceptical for a while but I think Singletary always pulling him out and using Troy some games and then Smith…back and forth and back and forth. No rythm or chemistry can be created without consistency! Harbaugh had a great relationship with Luck and when a QB can trust his coaching staff and vice versa, results will show. (I.E. Stanfords winning season) Maybe we pick up a defensive minded, good athlete to add to an already great defense, and just score a couple more touchdowns a game, we have ourselves a winning season. Keep Ginn, that kid has the abilitiy to be Electric. The ultimate key to all of this…A healthy Frank Gore! Get better Frank!

76. By Spencer on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Frank,

I agree with you and disagree. Although the O line could be better, Alex was originally drafted because he had a good arm and could scramble and throw on the run. I live in Utah and watched him play every game. He made a ton of plays with his feet, not his arm. So your right, but HE needs to be better. If he keeps his starting job, he needs to play better himself. Stop holding the ball so damn long! When they show replays of plays where he is sacked, if you look down the field, there are windows to throw into he just hesitates. He is fine though. GO NINERS

77. By Sid on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Alex has had plenty of chances to show his team he can get them to a superbowl,but hasn’t,its definately time for a new QB and not Troy S. either.

78. By Sid on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Yup lets get rid of all of our QBs.

79. By SM on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Overall, It will be interesting to see what we do in the Draft. It will also be interesting to see what QB the Niners pull the trigger on, whether they stay with A. Smith or try and start over at that position. By in Large, the one factor here is the new Coach. Usually the good coaches in the league get the most out of their players in the big moments which usually results in WINS! If Harbaugh can put together a good game plan everyweek and run the program like we all know he can, and put the right players in place, the season should be a success (but then again, thats what we thought last season!!! So much for finishing atop the division)

80. By manuel proano on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

Keep Alex Smith he’s the best qb in the team right now, he needs time to throw, the offensive line is now good enoguh to protec him right, so next year it will be alex’s best yer.