Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 13

Posted by Taylor Price on December 13, 2010 – 3:51 PM

Growing up in nearby Kentfield, Calif., Travis LaBoy regularly attended games at Candlestick Park and was raised on some of the best moments in 49ers history.

Fast forward to Sunday’s 40-21 win over Seattle, the 29-year-old pass-rushing linebacker was making those moments himself, having a hand in the biggest win of the 49ers season so far.

The free agent acquisition registered a “trifecta” on Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck in the second quarter, sacking him, forcing a fumble and recovering it with one quick swoop of his right arm. The second of five Seattle’s turnovers set up Josh Morgan’s 15-yard touchdown catch which gave the 49ers an insurmountable 20-7 lead.

To LaBoy, being a part of such plays was all the more rewarding. After all, who knows exactly what Sunday’s victory meant to the team and the whole Bay Area more than the sixth-year pro who grew up cheering for the 49ers?

“It was definitely fun, anytime you’re winning its fun. Nobody likes losing,” said LaBoy one day after the 49ers improved to 5-8 and are now one game out of first place with three games left. “If we keep winning, the fun times will keep rolling.”

But a “fun time” is not how the 49ers view Thursday night’s matchup against Philip Rivers and the high-powered San Diego Chargers offense.

“With Rivers, you see the stats he’s putting up. It’s more of a challenge, trying to stop one of the top offenses in the league right now,” LaBoy added.

The 49ers have Monday off, and will return to the practice fields the following day before flying out to San Diego on Wednesday. With the preparation time being so limited, coach Mike Singletary is completely focused on the task at hand – beating San Diego on the road.

“You’re just trying to make sure that you have everything where it needs to be, making sure that your players are at that mental state of mind, and trying to figure out practice, trying to look at some of the injuries, even though they are day-to-day, trying to figure out how to manage those things, and at the same time, putting a game plan together. So that’s where my mind is.”

Notes and Quotes

The best thing Alex Smith did on Sunday, wasn’t the three first-half touchdowns or the 130.9 quarterback rating he finished with – it was just him being himself, tight end Delanie Walker said.

“He was the same dude. Alex doesn’t change,” Walker added. “He’s going to be the same person. That’s the good thing about him. He doesn’t act brand new. He did a good job of just being himself.”

Rookie guard Mike Iupati suffered a shoulder stinger on Sunday, but Singletary said “thankfully” it’s only a day-to-day injury.

Singletary was pleased with the bounce-back performance by the secondary. “They did a nice job,” he said. “They read their keys, they tackled better, they, as a defense, they did a nice job. They were just patient. Everybody did their job, everybody was on the same page, communicated well and it worked out well.”

The short turnaround won’t be an excuse for the 49ers this week. Knowing what needs to be done, it’s on them to make it happen.

“It’s football,” Walker explained. “If they tell me to play on Tuesday, I’m going to play on Tuesday. That’s just part of our jobs. It’s a live game, everybody’s going to watch and I like playing on live television. I think it’s going to be a great opportunity.”

Tags: , , ,

73 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 13”

1. By robert on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith proved me wrong…i hope he can keep it up Thursday..Go Niners playoff bound.

2. By SupraMig on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

It wasn’t just Alex, Alex you had a great game and showed people what you can really do, but it was the entire team from Coaching staff to players, all working together.

This is what will take us to the Playoffs, keep it up Niners, focus, play together, play strong and with heart on Thursday.

3. By Rob on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I’m not, nor have I ever been sold on Alex Smith (even though he might be a nice guy, and all), he can win 20 games and I still will say that he is not a true NFL QB or leader, he’s always played scared, he’s pretty slow as a scrambler, and I have never seen ANY fire in his eyes, those are the opposite traits that make up a solid NFL QB. There used to be a time when I could actually be confident in my Niners before game day, and at least know that they would fight hard, but every time Alex Smith takes the field, I feel like I’m gonna have a heart-attack. But I will continue to support my beloved Niners, just as I always have. And we’ll see what happens, I guess. GO NINERS!!!

4. By rjberryx on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

What a performance against Seattle. I innocently pose the following question: Is it possible Alex and Sing have improved as a QB and HC to the point of reconsidering their future with the 49ers?

I know that is asking a lot and we still ran the ball up the middle too often – the biggest run of the game was a cut-back to the left by Dixon – but what if ….

And consider this, getting a new coaching staff might set the program back another 2 years. Just asking..

5. By C-los on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Our Niners looked good and just hoping that we finally found ourselves. All 3 phases played well, and that is what it will take to finish strong in order to win our division. It’s not how you start but how you finish, so lets do this!! My boys and I will be there supporting you guys in San Diego. Like I have always said, we have faith in you Alex Smith. 9ERS!!

6. By Rathman on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Football is a TEAM GAME. You want to know how Alex Smith got sacked yesterday? I remember the first sack was because of right gaurd. I love Iupati and glad he’s at our left gaurd. I think it was Tony Wraggle who got beat. Listen if we want to win football games, all three phases must come through. We can’t have our offense score and then let our defence lose the game for us (NO, ATL, PHI, CAR) Or if our defence holds up and we can’t score (KC, SEA, GB). If we want to win games we must win on all three phases. Team game, don’t blame the QB, everyone is in it together. To say that the QB is the problem is just an excuse for everyone else. It’s like saying Alex Smith has 9 interceptions because our WRs tipped like 5 balls to the defender. Its a team game, stats don’t mean anything. I don’t care if you say Alex Smith is 1-6 and Troy Smith is 3-2, All I care is that we support the 49ers whether they’re doing good or bad. 49er forever faithful

7. By C-los on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

nicely put Rathman. It is quite obvious that you know your Niners, as well as the game of football. Lets support our team and get to the playoffs. Man oh man do we hope that they build off this win. Can’t wait for Thursday nights game.

8. By slypi on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Here in S.D. they don’t give us much of a chance. The following 3 things need to take place in order for the 49ers to pull this off. First and foremost, we must rattle Rivers out of the gate. The 2ndary needs to play the game of their collective lives, and we need to hit on 5 or 6 big plays on offense. We will not be able to sustain long drives against their d-line too often. Sometimes things do fall into place. Let’s hope we can avoid a meltdown and play like we’re capable of.

going for a 6th

9. By LE 30 Row 30 Seat 6 on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

If the sorry raiders whooped on the chargers in san diego I dont see why we cant do the same thing.

Lets Go Niners, Comeback to Candlestick ready to clinch the NFC WEST!!!

10. By 49ermarc on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Alex is my hero! Alex had good poise and stood there in home field getting booed by fellow niner fans and criticized by commentators. It takes a strong minded person to take that type beating and still be able to perform. You go Alex!

This was a team win. Offense performed, defense performed, and special teams performed to get the win. Man, niners were clicking on all cylinders and it was fun to see. I hope this continuity continues against the chargers, because it is primetime baby!

Lets go niners… kill the chargers in primetime!!!!!

11. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

A Rob don’t be so negative man, if you are a true 9er fan you are going build our team up, not throw our QB under the bus. Alex and the whole team did awesome, and will continue too, sure the Chargers are a good team, but I believe that our team will be ready for them, will play real well and win. Our guys are hungry. Be positive about our team. It is hard for me to believe that you are a 9er faithful. a 9er faithful backs his team at all times, not only when they win, but when they lose. Us fans are here to cheer them on when their down also, letting them know that there are other games to win. Our team is still young but getting much better. So please don’t put down our team. Real 9er fans stay positive. Go 9ers, 3 more games, lets win them & head to the playoffs…….WIN,WIN,WIN…………….

12. By danone on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Alex was great on sunday i hope he can finish wt he started . on primetime beat the chargers

13. By diana on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

i love you niners and i support alex smith since the begining i hope he proves to all the reporters and fans and haters that he has talent and what he can doo i was so exited to see our whole team playing well it was a good thing that they took the starters out and put rookies in save there energy for thursday night babee lets get this win you guys can do it we all faithful have faith in you when you guys are playing good and everyone is doing there jobs we can compete with anyone out there..

14. By ninerfolife on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I see all the Alex Smith haters stayed off the site tonight!!! Good who needs them. There are plenty of positive fans out there to suport our NINERS!!! Did any of you notice Alex Smith talked to the team in the locker room!!!!! HE HAS NEVER DONE THAT THE HOLE TIME HE HAS BEEN IN SAN FRAN.. Thats the leadership the team wants from Alex Smith.. Great win all facets of the team did thier job, and if they play like that in San Diego WE WILL WIN!!!!!! Lets go Alex you can do it!!! i know you can.. I always belived in you.. This is your offence and your team.. Take us to the Playoffs.. SEE YOU THERE>>> GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. By osidedan on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

somebody tell Alex smith to have some toilet paper handy because Hes going to crap his paint once the Chargers are done with him.

16. By Tumbleweed on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Great to see there are still true Niner Faithful out there. I hope you will be rewarded as I have been. I’ve been a fan since I was ten and that is 60 years now that I’ve been cheering for the Niners. I hope all of you get to experience as much as I have over the years like the 20 year playoff run with five Superbow victories thrown in. The other forty years were great too with many great players and victories to cheer. Keep the faith and Go Niners 6-0 in the Superbowl is our goal!

17. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

18. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Hi Tumbelweed, same here, I have been a 9er faithfull for over 30 years now and remember those 9er blowouts back in the 80’s & 90’s, I also watched all 5 Superbowl games. those were awesome days but we have a team that is even better today, I can’t wait to see our team dominate games, it will happen and go for our 6th Superbowl win, Amen. Go 49ers lets win every game from here on out! WIN-WIN-WIN………………

19. By Ali Saheb on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

you guys are all funny… Alex smith still sucks and always will….. and for all those who say we, (who boo or disapprove of alex smith) are not faithful …you guys are blind…. Remember we are in a free country… I say we boo and show our disapproval of our QB situation…. otherwise we get 6 more years of Alice Smith gooo 9ers

20. By pwillisgang on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

as i sit here and read these blogs a question comes to mind. Where was all this praise when Alex was losing???? This week is yeah Alex then what happens if they lose on thursday are we going to hear crap about how he sucks. Either you like him or you dont quit being wishy washy, as for me not sold on Alex but I will give him this he had a good game lets hope we can build on that….

21. By John .C on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Ali it’s sad to know that you’re a Niner fan!!! “Being a true Niners fan is about our faith in our nation.. Alex smith is really a great Quarter Back I wouldn’t point him out of the picture just yet because all he really needs is a solid structured offensive line to block for him, which we have not been successful enough of doing so far besides this Sunday’s game.

Our strategy for this Thursdays game should be focused upon how the 49ers are going to protect Alex smith in the pocket because they are going to be blitzing pretty much the whole game with Alex playing the way he did this past Sunday. GREAT JOB ALEX!!!!!!! KEEP UP THE NICE THROWING ACCURACY

& DEFENSE LETS SEE YOU GUYS SHUT DOWN THE CHARGERS OFFENSE AND LETS TAKE FULL CONTROL OF THE NFC WEST THIS YEAR BY NOT GIVING UP !!!!

22. By SmarterThanYou on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Alex hasn’t had the stability to grow into an upper echelon qb due to the constant coaching changes, Ali Saheb. I look forward to seeing them continue to open up the offense for Westbrook, Smith, and Davis. It will be interesting to see what the niners can do on the road in SD. We still control our own destiny in the division if we can continue to win. Maybe we can shock a few people by being the first team to start 0-5 and make the playoffs. I think we can match up well with anybody if we play mistake-free football like we did Sunday.

GO NINERS!!!

23. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Ali, this is a free country, but you are blind, Alex is an awesome QB way better then Troy. he was outstanding on Sunday. Like I have said before, if you can’t say anything good about anyone on our 9er team, you are not a true 9er fan. Alex will become another Steve Young, give it some time. Our team is going forword. they will be un-stop-able. I think you need to find another team like the Raiders. Go 49ers………………………………..PS: I hear that the Bengals are in need of fans, go to their team, 9er Nation does not need 9er haters like you!

24. By 57NINER on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

the true test of “greatness” is the ability to withstand criticism. faithful fans
    are not always compliant fans. especially if they are knowledgeable. to show
    disappointment by criticizing (analysis) can be the sign of knowing the game and
    expecting better performances. Alex showed “game” and that is what he needs
    to continue to do. The entire team has showed “game”. So now this is No. 1
    and there are 3 more. Time to grab a “mane hold” and “cowboy up”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO NINERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By L.G on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Amazing only teams Alex has won against are teams that are barely .500 and below. Troy could have done the same thing against a average to below average team. Alex would not have beaten Green Bay. Thursday will be the true test! San Diego has the number one defense in the NFL…Beat a good team and be consistent, next two games are very tough…Then you guys can praise him until then it’s the same ole same ole….A fan can be anything he wants to be…

26. By casey on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

i agree that Alex has not proved himself yet, but when did troy prove himself. He never proved to be anything more than a decent backup qb. Im not sure that Troy can win the game yesterday. Alex took care of the ball early and didnt try to do to much. He let his defense take care of their part and he worried about his job and done a fine job of taking care of it. A huge test for the 9ers thursday. A test for Alex of course, but i think the true test comes for our secondary. I am confident that we can score. I dont know if we can put up 28 though and if our secondary does not show up 28 isnt going to be enough to win. The test is on our defense. I think we can shut down the run game, but i dont know how we will handle rivers. Alex may have fixed something and im gona give him the chance to prove it. Im not jumpin on the savior bandwagon like everyone did with Troy, but Alex does have true potential. Lets go 9ers.

27. By Mustytoes on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

I think most of the arguments for either QB are fairly worthless. Anyone who calls themselves a 49er fan knows there is not a QB on the roster or practice squad who will take us out of the first round of the playoffs. Trades or a good draft move is our best answer at the moment. Just look at St. Louis, Sam Bradford isn’t destined for the HOF yet, but he is their future. Who is the future of the niners? Alex? Troy? David Carr? Nate Davis? Its time to address the problem and get a competent signal caller. Go niners! Alex prove me wrong!

28. By Cherie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith did a good job yesterday. SO happy the 49ers came together and got the W!! I have not been sold on Alex Smith just yet. So he had a lot of motivation coming into the game, it would have been nice if he would have started this way earlier on in the season, Now it is time to take it to the chargers. Let’s build off this and turn the focus to Thursday! I’ll be supporting you guys at QualCom!! GO NINERS!!!

..::Breathing RED & GOLD::..

29. By Hermie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

I agree Musty!! First off let me say I would never hope the 9ers would loose. I would “love” to see Alex succeed…but I do not see it, but I will support him the last 4 games and pray I am wrong!! I think Troy would be an excellent back-up for us in the long run and think he would accept that.

That being said, I will give Alex these last 4 games (knowing we need a win Thurs. to have any hope at playoffs), and hope he has turned things around for himself! We don’t need a Joe Ferguson in S.F. (great at times, inconsistent other times = no Championships).

Those who say Alex has not had a chance…Alex has had two great offensive coordinators in his time with S.F. (Turner and Martz) and we know who Martz thought was the better QB between Shawn Hill and Alex. Sing. (Nolan) is the one that made Martz start Alex.

I have been a 9er fan for over 40yrs., but do not believe we have a QB of the future on our team…Alex prove me wrong!!

You go to “ANY” stadium and if the team is not playing well, they get booed (no I do not boo or wish anyone hurt). You should have heard Sanchez being booed at the Jets game…you telling me Alex can’t handle booing after 6yrs. He better grow-up then!

30. By Sonofflubber on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

For all of those grading Alex in black or white, you might want to moderate your comments. Firstly, I agree that one can be a “49er faithful” and still be critical of the team. I will root for them in good times and bad, without question. However, we have a right to evaluate performance and “play” coach, GM, owner, or just educated fan. We all know Alex has had a series of unfortunate circumstances that have contributed to his marginal (at best) career to this point. Six years in, he really should be able to rise above all of that. He is starting to see the field better, and play “less scared”. I think, with a very good offensive line (which we don’t have), and a strong running game, he could be a top 12 QB in the NFL. That would definitely put him below the elite QBs, more or less at the top of the middle group, He just hasn’t shown anything, against strong defenses and very good teams, that should convince us he would be a winning, Super Bowl-level QB. That doesn’t mean he stinks. But despite 16 years without a Super Bowl appearance, those of us old enough to live through the glory days of this franchise still think in terms of returning to relevance and, more so, to dominance. Alex hasn’t shown that he can take the team there. I predict that he will have a very good career on another tram, one that can protect him better and has what it needs around him. That won’t be here, for the foreseeable future. I agree with all who say we need a franchise QB to develop. We won’t get Luck or Newton in the draft — there are too many teams that really do stink this year. So it will be the same question: will it be worth a #12 draft pick to get a QB who is not a sure thing at the next level? For the next 3 games, I am a HUGE Alex Smith supporter. After that, I agree we need to go in another direction. Not black and white…

31. By TRUE FAITHFULL on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Hermie your wrong smith had his best season under norv turner, and mike martz thought j.t. o’sullivan was our best qb when shawn hill and smith are way better so you cant use that argument .i know we have a lot of great history but lets face it we dont have joe montana or jerry rice or ronnie lott or any of those players from the great teams that we had . but c’mon man if you are a niner fan you do not want your team to end on jan 2. I wait all freakin year to watch my niners play and i do not want the season to end.if you are niner fans you want to keep playing no matter how we can get in the playoffs. it would be nice to get in at 14-2 or something but that doesn,t mean i dont want us to get in. right now we dont compare to our 80,s, and 90,s but we got to start somewhere and i would love it to be now,so lets go play and dominate these last games and get in these playoffs with some momentum and see what can happen. we lost some close games to some playoff teams and i know none of those teams want to see us in the playoffs.cause dispite our record we are a dangerous team.AND ALEX SMITH DOES HAVE FIRE IN HIS EYES,HE NEVER DID,BUT HE HAS IT THIS YEAR.I HATED HIM FROM DAY ONE BUT THIS ENTIRE SEASON HE HAS BEEN A DIFFERENT PLAYER AND THE WAY HE JUST DOES NOT HAVE ANY QUIT IN HIM.I AM IMPRESSED ON HOW HE HANDLED ALL THE CRAP BEING POURED ON HIM.HE DESERVED IT ALL BUT MAN I THINK WE HAVE OURSELVES A BEAST FROM HERE ON OUT.ALEX SMITH I AM YOUR BIGGEST FAN NOW.YOU HANDLE EVERYTHING LIKE A TRUE MAN,NOW KEEP IT UP!!!! GO NINERS KEEP THIS SEASON GOING FOR ME AT LEAST,CAUSE ITS A VERY LOOOOONG OFF SEASON.

32. By L.G on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

I like to see Alex do well of course most fans do however one good game against a cup cake defense doesn’t convince me. San Diego and the Rams on the road will reveal plenty…Alex will have a good game against the Cardinals in the finial game of the season and everyone will jump back on the band wagon…FOOLS GOLD? We’ll find out! hmmmm this looks fimilar…

33. By Hermie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

LG, That’s what I am afraid of too!! Seen it before, only to be let/slapped down big time. Soo, say they win out, make the playoffs (playoffs!!), which we will know by Thurs. night…do they keep Sing…and Alex??

34. By Rob on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

LISTEN, the fact is that any of you delusional Alex Smith fans have NO RIGHT calling any Alex Smith haters NON-FAITHFUL or NOT TRUE FANS……..Who in the Hell are you to judge??? The facts are the facts…some people (like myself) have cheered for the 49ers for many decades and they are the real true fans not the 20 year old newcomers that know nothing about great leaders, REAL Quarterbacks, championship teams, and winning Super-bowls because they weren’t even born yet. We don’t hate Alex because we want to, we hate Alex because HE SUCKS!!!! I don’t hear Alex haters saying THE TEAM SUCKS, so how are they not faithful to the team??? He might be a nice guy, but HE IS A LOUSY, WAY OVERPAID, WASTE OF SALARY CAP SPACE that we could be using to actually sign a REAL QB, no QB in history has been given all of the chances that this guy has and it’s time to move on and gain some dignity back for MY 49ers team, that’s right any NEWCOMERS, MY 49ers team that I have supported for over 30 years.

35. By Rob on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

And by the way…..If I’m not a TRUE 49ers fan, then maybe you would like to buy the over 10 thousand dollars in 49ers, hats, blankets, tapestries, coffee mugs, shirts, jerseys, etc. that I own. So that you can actually say that your a fan.

36. By Rob on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

@JR Baca……HOW DARE YOU PUT ALEX SMITH IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS STEVE YOUNG……Young had, leadership qualities, toughness, drive, accuracy, and heart (I was at that game where Aneas Williams of the Cardinals gave him the concussion that ended his career, and Young was pacing on the sideline after halftime itching to get back in the game, Alex would have been on the sidelines CRYING about his injury). Alex has none of those qualities!!

37. By Mustytoes on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Rob, that’s a little bit of a slap in the face to the younger fans out there. I’m 25 and just because I didn’t live the glory days, or was too young to remember doesn’t make me any less of a die hard fan. I’ve seen the old games, heard stories, and even met some of the guys from the glory days. Just because you had the privilege of being born before me, or the fact that you have the monetary means to buy 49er merchandise does not make you more of a fan than me.

38. By Rob on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

@Mustytoes no disrespect to you and I’m not trying to slap any younger players in the face, Why would I, RIGHT, were all in this together, and we all want to win?? but I’m just stating to the guys that know nothing about football, and what talented players look like to STOP calling others that have been around, and DO know football ” NON-FAITHFUL ” or ” NOT TRUE FANS “. Just because there are MANY that don’t like Alex Smith as our QB, doesn’t make them any less of a fan than those that do like Alex. The fact is for much of the past 10 years the Niners have had bad seasons, numerous QB’s and many still supported them then. It has nothing to do with just losing games, it has to do with the fact that Alex is lousy and we are going down with him, not up. In the past 10 years our best QB has been Jeff Garcia, and since then we’ve went downhill. Of course we all want to win but, I think most fans would rather lose with a QB that has heart, toughness, and leadership abilities, than lose with Alex.

39. By Ar Par 949er on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

If theres 3 people that i can completely agree with here; its MustyToes, Rob and Ali-Saheb.

So let me ask you this JR Baca;where is your praise when Alex Smith failed? So he wins one good game, now we have people saying hes the next Steve Young?!?!?! REALLY? Then, some of you knuckleheads have the audacity to say we’re not 9er faithfuls? Excuse me, but WE-THE-FANS are/have been/will be supporting our team for life. We have a right to let our franchise know what we see through our eyes (as fans, and outsiders of the game), therefore any criticism from an actual 9er faithful should be considered constructive criticism.

Anyways, you guys REALLY think A. Smith has what it takes to become a solid red-n-gold QB? if so, you must have been sleeping in on sundays for the past 3 years.

40. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

chill mr. Rob, like I have said a number of times, if can’t say anything good about our QB or team don’t say it at all. you are part of the hate group. 9ers need fans to support their team no matter what. And no one cares how much you have spent on 9er gear. Our focus is on what we have right now as a team. The 9ers are a work in progress, we have a great team, us true fans need to support what we have right now. What will you say if Alex takes us all the way. Don’t listen to the 9er haters. Go 9ers……….

41. By Rathman on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Rob why the he** are you even talking about Jeff Garcia? Do you not know who was around Jeff Garcia? During the Garcia years we still had a great WR that is now a diva and rb that could plow. You think that 49ers answer is a new qb. I guarantee you that if you draft Luck or Mallet you’ll have another Alex Smith story. Just for the fact that you guys are bashing your own 49er team is even worse. Vernon Davis told Sing to put Alex back in and what happens? Nothing but 11 to 85. God you guys are horrible, instead of praising your own team you bash them. You so called “fans for 30-40 years” might as well get over yourself. This is the new era of football where guys are faster and stronger than back then. If you wanna keep bashing the 49ers than go do it on a different site. 49er faithful no matter what situation.

42. By Louie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Great game !!!

Big turnovers taken and none giving away. Great team effort.

Now you can prove everyone wrong over the next three games, Win and make the playoffs.

Destiny lies within your hands.

I know you can do it.

Go niners.

43. By Louie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Well said Rathman

44. By Ninergal on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Niners need to be consistently focused. For example, players start celebrating thier small achievements on the field before the team is winning the game. Just do your job with dignity and respect. When Niners are DOMINATING then do all the dancing u want. The Chargers are not going to give this one away to SF, the team will have to go there focused and consistent regardless of which ever Smith is the QB. Manage the clock, manage the plays, adjust to the game and don’t get stuck in a boring game plan. Use all the O weapons,O line PROTECT your QB, have th D corners and safety’s be engaged – the D line and LB’s have done most of the work and seem to be getting worn out. It can be done, lets put to rest – finally the “old days”.

45. By Roland on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

SOOOO to this guy JR Baca DONTTT UUU EVERRRRR compare ALEX SMITH to STEVE YOUNG cause young was a leader not a bust like smith whos been with the same team for 5 years his time is up, so i agree with ROB dont ever put smith in the same sentence sd young at alll… its TIME TO BRING IN LUCK cause he wont be a BUST like smith, ur the bust to call ur self a niner fan why dont u go to a different site while the rest of us stay and u go.. OOO as for my homie ALI yeah my HOMIE ALI JR UUU KNOW HES RIGHT so dont u ever say hes not a true niner fan cause he is and always will be i know i am….

46. By Hermie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Tom you were a beast back then!! I have your rookie card!!

47. By SSgt. Diesel on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Great game but lets Beat San Diego then I will be impressed. I know we can……

48. By SSgt. Diesel on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Rob and Musty you both have very very good points. No one wants to bash Alex but yes we have waited long enough I hope he goes out with a bang trust me. I do think our problem lies mostly with our coaching and our O line, If we cant protect our Qb I dont care if Payton is back there they are not going to be successful. We also do not use our talent wisely. Vernon Davis should have a huge role in every game didnt Jerry Rice? Westbrook are you kiddng me sat the bench the whole season WOW !!!! I love Gore but man our coaching sucks open up the play book use the talent you have Gore and Westbrook one two punch all day long. Gore up the middle for the first three plays is not going to cut it anymore. I am a true fan I have been buying countless 49er stuff for years I know what its like to see magic happen on those games Montana to Rice or Taylor, Craig Steve Young to Rice, Garcia was awsome as well how we got ride of a 3 time Pro Bowl QB for a no name like Rattay is beyond me and that is when this franchise started really going down hill. I am a true die hard fan I bleed red and gold trust me ……..Go 9ers lets get back the magic!!!!!

49. By SSgt. Diesel on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

One more think Troy Smith is a rookie still he has not played a full season yet and to do what he did in those games with limited time to learn the offense are you kidding me he could me another Micheal Vick with a little bit of time and coaching to develop minus the beating doggie rap!!! Also remember the 9ers lost 4 heart breaking games in the last minute of the game. Our luck I know!!!!!

50. By Reggie on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

At the end of the article, why does Delanie say that Thursday’s game is a “live game”. All games are live, Delanie.

51. By gman915 on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

well put Rob, you hit the nail in the coffin…I have been a 49er fan for a long time and still support them.. but Alex Smith needs to go, he has outproven himself for 6 years, everytime I see him on the field my only hope is that he doesn’t make mistakes and get a first down seriously!! If a system hasn’t worked for six years drop it and move on.. we need a true leader at QB
    49er fan or not lets face it he flat out sucks..he is a bust , and they still have given him many opportunities we need a change…

52. By iceman 49ers on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

First and foremost “Great JOB and JOB well DONE!” to the entire NINER’s Coaching staff and most of all to the PLAYERS.

This a team and coaching effort, we all know that Alex has to prove himself to be able to keep his job. Alex proven many years that he still an un-stable or inconsistent player. This WIN proves that the ENTIRE NINER coaching staff and players work together as a team and make plays to have W.

This is only one game and Alex has more game to prove that he is the MAN for the job. This coming game thursday will really test him, how he can manage under pressure, going to opponents turf, and it’s a MUST win situation. This game is very crucial to the ENTIRE NINER organization and most part THE FANS.

Then I want to hear from you ALL……

53. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Well said Rathman, I have been a 9er faithfull for over 30 years, watched all 5 Superbowl wins, man those were the days, but your right Rathman today they are stronger, faster, smarter and our technology is out of this world. Alex has the potential to become a great QB. he needs to be given another chance. I believe that there are a lot of awesome faithful fans that would agree with me. Go 9ers all the way to the Superbowl…….

54. By gman915 on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Well put Rob, you hit the nail in the coffin…I have been a 49er fan for a long time and still support them.. but Alex Smith needs to go, he has not proven himself for 6 years, everytime I see him on the field my only hope is that he doesn’t make mistakes and get a first down seriously!! If a system hasn’t worked for six years drop it and move on.. we need a true leader at QB
    49er fan or not, lets face it he flat out sucks..he is a bust , and they still have given him many opportunities we need a change.. I would really like for Alex Smith to prove me wrong..but i doubt it..he won’t last for long

55. By FURIOUSTA on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

ok im new to dis far as posting but i read every week there is some hypercritical fans on here most of u wanted alexs head a few weeks ago but now off 1 game he ur hero again seriously come on lets save all da bs for after hes won a big game yes he has shown flashes of being a good qb but to say great no if he struggles vs sd every1 will put a bounty on bak on his head have some consistency people i want to see him be more agressive down the field dats wat troy did even if he is not completing them it strikes fear in the d an they bak off that will make more room for the rbs to operate which probably would be more affective if dixon stopped dancing like ricky w running waters an hit the damn hole he too damn big for dat! DAT IS WAT HAVES ME FURIOUS!!!!!!!!

56. By Pweezy408 on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

LET NATE DAVIS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. By 9er 4 life on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

It’s funny how no one likes A. Smith until he wins…he didn’t have that great of a game! Look at the game film, both V. Davis and B. Westbrook broke it for a TD. Smith just threw them the ball when they were wide open. I am NOT impressed by him as a QB! I hope the TEAM can win this Thursday! San Diego’s D is a lot different than Seattle!!!!

58. By casey on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I think that we should draft a qb early in the draft. Maybe its Luck or Locker. Mallet has upside. I would get excited about any of these three guys. Newton will probably fall into the later rounds and he really has potential. Maybe Vick like. he could give us a wildcat look right away. We need to draft a qb and if Alex straightens stuff out then Alex is our qb for the future and if he continues to be inconsistent then hes pulled. This gives our young qbs time to prepare. Look at Rodgers in Green bay. He sat for five years and when he finally got on the field he was ready. Im not so ready to give up on Alex, but id like a little better plan B than what we saw when Carr blew the game in Carolina.

59. By Rob on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

The funny part about it all JR Baca…Rathman and any other Alex lovers is that YOU are BY FAR the minority, when they announced that Alex was in against Seattle and Troy was out, they said the stands were EMPTY on gameday….that’s right, EMPTY!!! WHEN in the history of the 49ers organization has the stadium been EMPTY??? But hey …..maybe the fans had something better to do that day, HUH? Oh wait a minute…..theyr’e not true fans, theyr’e bandwagoners…..BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!! SHUT THE HELL UP with your Alex Smith great QB Non-Sense!!!!

60. By David on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

The Niners have nothing to lose , we’re 5-8 , if we lose , we’re pretty much done for the season.They lost Gore , they need to air it out , get the ball in Crabtree’s , Davis’s , westbrook’s , and Morgans hands and we have a chance.They need to bring 4-5 man blitzes on D , If they have Smith in the shotgun 85% of the time it will allow him extra time , it’s simple , if it backfires ohwell who really thought wed beat them in their house anyway.I wouldn’t run more then 15 times all game , it would catch San Diego off guard.But the Niners are to set in their ways , but it has a better chance then runs up the middle until we’re 21 points behind!

61. By David on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

and niner4life , I haven’t liked smith since 07 what has he done? Played well when it was too late , Alex was 1-5 before hurting himself , we werent blowing out the Panthers before getting injured , we had a slight lead teams have come back on us before.I’m tired of ownership , I moved away from cali 10 years ago and have paid for the NFL ticket via directv since 2002.And guess what saw them lose for 7 years.I’m as diehard as they come , but have to usk has their even been effort on their part? No nothing besides moving to Santa Clara , right now we’re still rebuilding it’s the 20 year project I guess.I’m tired of fans like you calling us bandwagoners , if the Yorks hire a GM like parcell’s , or Holmgrin and let them make all decisions I will give them 5 years without one negative word because there will be effort.Right now the light is dim.

62. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

All you Alex S. haters, need to get a life, you have so much hate in you. You need Christ Jesus in your life. I was just like you, I had so much hate and anger in me. When I invited the Lord into my life 18 years ago everything changed. Hate and anger all gone. Our 9er team is being built right now, work in progress. It will be a better team than the 80’s and 90’s, the past is the past, it is over and done with, all we have is history. Our focus is today and we need to support our team. Like I have said before: TRUE 49ERS FANS SUPPORT THEIR TEAM, WIN ORLOSE. We have 3 games left, we need to support our 49er team including Alex Smith. Go 9ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

63. By Louie on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

When I think about the niners

I think superbowls, I think legends, and what a great history this club has.

This team is growing, learning and getting better, they need to stick together as this team will get to the top.

64. By ChickenFriedRice on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Last week I predicted three days before the Seattle game that the NIners would beat the Seahawks 41-13. The final score was 40-21. Not too shabby.

This week, I predict the Niners will lose to the Chargers 27-17 and end all hopes of a playoff berth. No matter how much I want my Niners to win, I just don’t see them slowing down the Chargers’ offense. Plus it’s raining in Southern Cali right now, which means FUMBLES all day. The Chargers are good at forcing turnovers and I am prepared to see a couple Smith INTs, like it or not.

Sorry faithful but I’m just callin’ it like it is. Singletary is not a good coach and with only three days to prepare, his game plan will be lackluster at best. But if we win, I will be the first one here sayin “MY BAD!!!”

65. By JR Baca in NM on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Let’s go team, For the Win Tonight. New Mexico 9er Nation is behind you 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

66. By JR Baca in NM on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I am not making any predictions, I just believe that our team is going to do real well. and hopefully they will come out with the win, both 9ers and Chargers are great teams. Go 49ers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+

67. By 57NINER on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

27-17 NINERS

2 sacks
    1 fumble
    1 int. for the niner defense/step up or GOD will be pissed!

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68. By KT old 9ers fan on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

What about the rest of the team ? Alex Smith is not all of it or is he? Singletary is the head coach isnt he ? Alex is consistend in his throws he throws at shoulders up high down low Steve Young not close maybe in his dreams.49ers have problems in the office.what about Frank Gore who is a great RB who has to put up with playing this way what a let down.Maybe the others who like to win?Coaching with bad calls and clock management! I am a fan thats why I get excited and disguted sometimes in the same game.We need some changes maybe both maybe one QB needs leadership skills along with coaching.I do not hate either one and like winning.I prefer the 49ers over the other teams and wish every player the best

69. By JR Baca in NM on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I AGREE WITH 57NINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO 49ERS, FOR THE WIN…………………………….

70. By David on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

17-0 here we go! It’s getting hard to be a niners fan , they can’t stop the pop warner mistakes.

71. By David on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I think JR Baca is Jed York.

72. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I just might be, you will never know!

73. By JR Baca in NM on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

How did you know that I am Jed York David?