Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 6

Posted by Taylor Price on December 6, 2010 – 5:43 PM

The 49ers are too familiar with the havoc created by Seattle’s rowdy fan base known as the “12th Man.” But as linebacker Patrick Willis told me Monday afternoon, it’s time to turn the tables on the Seahawks with the support of the 49ers Faithful when the two sides meet this Sunday at Candlestick Park.

“We’re going to need our fans big-time,” Willis said a day after the 49ers dropped to 4-8, two games out of first place with four left to play. “Good or bad, don’t give up on us until the season is done and we’re out of it. We have faithful fans. We know we’re not proud of where we are now and we certainly wish we could be in a better situation than where we are now.

“We got four games to finish strong. We’ll see what happens, but continue to be behind us.”

Beyond the 12th man, the 49ers haven’t named their 11th man on the offensive side of the ball yet.

Mike Singletary said he had yet to determine which quarterback named Smith would start in the crucial divisional contest against a 6-6 Seahawks club.

Asked who he was leaning towards, Singletary said he was leaning towards Seattle.

Well-played.

But surely, the 49ers will support whoever gets the nod. Players have confidence in each quarterback on the roster, have had success with them and trust that the coaching staff will pick the signal caller who gives the team the best chance to win on Sunday.

“We gotta practice Wednesday, so we’ll know who is the starting quarterback based on the reps that they take,” tight end Vernon Davis wisely said.

“I believe in both of those guys. Whoever we go with, it’ll be the right decision.”

Singletary said he would meet with the coaching staff to make the final determination and as Davis put it, everyone should know the decision come Wednesday.

“We’re spending time looking at the film and really making sure that we’re accurate on the things that we see, but it is week-to-week,” Singletary said. “The thing that I’ve said all along is that I want to go with the quarterback that I feel gives us the best chance to win. And that is a week-to-week thing.”

Notes and Quotes

It’s normally Willis who leads the 49ers in tackles on a weekly basis. But there are times when the three-time Pro Bowler is outdone by a teammate here or there, and it just so happened that one of those occasions took place in Sunday’s loss. Takeo Spikes registered a career-high 17 tackles, including six in the first quarter and three on the Packers first three plays from scrimmage. The vintage Spikes performance was certainly appreciated by Willis.

“Spike-dog, man, once again I can never say enough about him. He truly makes my game better. When I see him making plays, I get excited to know I have somebody besides me like that. Somebody I can count on, somebody I know who is going to do his job well and also make me better.”

That includes in-game coaching.

“He’ll speak to me when he see things and when he sees that I can do something better, he’ll let me know.

“I remember a play yesterday, I over-read it too fast and got my feet out from underneath me. And he said, ‘Pat, keep your pads down.’ And I said, ‘You’re right. I appreciate that, I got you.’”

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks registered 2.0 sacks in his first career start with the 49ers and said his preparation paid off when Parys Haralson was ruled inactive with an ankle injury. “I prepared myself throughout the week to go out and fill his shoes and try to help the team win.” If Brooks goes back to a sub role, he’s purely focused on doing what necessary to win the team’s four remaining games. “Every game we play is crucial. It’s do or die for us. We have to win right now.”

Rookie right tackle Anthony Davis is not a boisterous individual by any means. On the field however, he’s a physical player, one who is never afraid to throw his body around. He doesn’t speak in long-winded offerings either. It’s simple statements usually about getting better and working hard. Davis has done all those things this year.

You can tell the focus has paid off. Davis has put together back-to-back solid performances against Pro Bowl caliber players in Darnell Dockett and Clay Matthews holding them, or blocking them, to zero sacks.

More than attention that comes with postgame articles or television interviews, the postgame handshake with an opponent is an indication of true respect.

And after Davis and Matthews battled it out on a cold Sunday in Green Bay, the two exchanged pleasantries in a positive manner as players from both teams greeted on the field after the game. Davis had earned Matthews’ respect for good reason. He’s terrorized opposing tackles this season to the tune of a league-high 11.5 sacks.

Holding him without one should be recognized, it’s the fourth time in 11 games that it has happened this season.

“I take my hat off to that group,” Singletary said of Davis and the rest of the 49ers offensive linemen. “I think they continue to get better and bond as a group.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

81 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Dec. 6”

1. By Mike on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Just wondering……Why did ya throw on 3rd and 1??? I dont get this team this year!!! Maybe Sing needs to hang it up!!!!

2. By Crespo on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

What are you going to do about your secondary and CB’s that can’t tackle?? You have a Rookie #23 that can sure help, not sure why he’s not starting.

3. By jared on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

4. By jake on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Alex should start he should of been the starter after he became healthy

5. By jake on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

to jared the reason they didn’t try to do anything with the ball with 50 + seconds and two timeouts is they never trusted troy smith so thats why Alex should of been the starter

6. By niner on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

we need gruden as coach

7. By bobby on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I was at the game and saw us run out the clock….singletary is a garbage coach and should be fired…..I cant stand watching his press conferences…..his coaching decisions…..everything about the guy makes me want to stop wearing 49ers gear and watching their games until we get rid of him…..he is an embaressment to the organization……i had to listen to all those cheeseheads talk smack in a game we should have been competirive in……

8. By JasonXFlash on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Why didn’t they try the 2pts. conversion to tie the game instead of the PAT kicked.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????SMH……..

9. By KDB on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Start Alex, spread the Offense out which we have not done ALL YR, and let it Rip!!!

Let’s have some fun.We only have 4 games left.

10. By JasonXFlash on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Can we ever score int the second half?????? Start but not finished…!!!!!!

11. By ruben on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Alex should not start, he didnt do nothing in the begining, 5+ years and still stuggling, Singletary needs to be fired, stop lookin at the film and make decisons on the spot, we need a coach that takes chances. we have the talent on players, but we dont have the talen on the coaches.

12. By 49ermarc on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

What happened with westbrook? He is elusive in space just like gore. He did so well against Arizona I am surprised he did not get more chances. What the hell happened at the end of the first half with time on the clock to at least try a field goal–LACK OF EFFORT!!. From the end of the first half it seemed we lost confidence and just gave up. Man, I believe in this team but I am loosing hope.

Alex should start if he is healthy and should have started if he was healthy.

Come on yall lets kill the Seahawks.

Go San Francisco!!

13. By KDB on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Just look at how the Pats are spreading out the Jets, then running with no name backs that are average. You can’t tell me this isn’t because of SUPERIOR COACHING. A. Smith would shine in this system. That’s the point, we have not had a decent O/C since Norv turner-SAD very SAD that we NEVER had it going and just wasted several good players, including Alex.

14. By fred taylor on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Who is the best coach in the last 8 years including this sing, Dennis Ericson, bring him back I miss him!

15. By Jerry on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you KDB. Everyone blames Alex Smith when he works in a Spread Offense. I hope that Alex Smith goes to another team that rolls with the spread offense. Even worse that our own 49er fans know nothing about football 101. So many cooridnators and coaches, no consistency. If I were you Jed York, do somehting smart and grab Josh McDaniels to coach up A. Smith, Troy Smith, N. Davis and see who is the better of them all. A Smith can work in pocket but no mobility, T. Smith has mobility but no pocket presence. N Davis is just plain dumb and can’t learn the book but has an arm. What do you do? Singletary go back to the Ravens and help their D. You don’t deserve to get fired after 1 year like the previous coaches. It’s been proven that all coaches that came to the 49ers and got fired, turned out great with other teams. Mike McCarthy – GB, Norv Turner SD, Mike Nolan – Den, Mia (Turned last place D to top 10 D for both teams). Come home Mike, come back to Baltimore please

16. By Vic on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Everyone blames Alex Smith for the first six losses but if anyone remembers anything, the games were won when the other team had the ball with little time left and then the Defense just broke down and allowed the other team to score. Once Troy started, a lot of people were happy and cursed Alex, the truth is I think that Alex is a lot better, not too mobile but is more accurate and can throw out of the pocket. Use the spread offense and he is better. If the Defense would tighten up, what is up with these CB and Safeties who can’t cover anyone and can’t tackle, where is Taylor Mays? Why did Dixon get more carries than Westbrook? Why didn’t Alex play after he was healthy? So many questions and two beatdowns against the Bucs and Packers… So sad…

17. By julian Pacheco on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

i was disappointed when i saw this loss=( ive stayed positive all season,but this one really did it. i really believed we had to beat them. i hate to say im no longer thinking playoffs. after reading this article tho i would like to let P.willis know i will stay behind this team. i will remain faithful. GO NINERS!

18. By jazzi jimhat on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

what’s going on in the red zone? can we not punch the ball in our O Line are beast. Im beginning to think Singeltary needs to find another home or step down to d coordinator. looking forward to drafting a DB and a quarter back next year.

19. By kenny on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

jon Gruden MAYBE COM TO 49ERS IN 2011 ON 3 HE GOOD

20. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

There are so many so called 9er fans that think they know it all, instead of supporting our team, win or lose, they think they have all the answers. Why don’t all you 9er haters go to another team and let our coach Singultary do his job, eventhough I do agree we need to give Alex S. another shot. New Mexico 9er Nation supports our 49er team. Go 49ers lets win the rest, lets go 8 & 8. HAVE FUN!

21. By 805faithful on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Let’s just face it. By putting A. Smith back to start it’s like throwing in the towel at our last four games. Were going to need better Coaches,DB’s, and a real Qb for next year. I guess the Lambs found there Ram. Why even bother looking at film if we don’t make any adjustments for Sunday.

22. By Louie on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Running the clock out just before half time was disappointing.

23. By Ali Saheb on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

If we start Alex Smith then we are done for the rest of the season…. next season we need a new coach

24. By MRk00l15 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

idk why everyone thinks alex smith should start he sucks. He is 1-6 in 7 games. losing to the seahawks and the panthers their only win came against us. and troy smith is 3-2 losing the 2 games to good football teams the bucs and packers. and you want to sit him for alex smith what a joke whoever thinks alex is better then troy your dumb. Leave troy in there he is are best chance at going 8-8 if you throw in Alex Smith means they gave up on this season……..

25. By Bo Major on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Singletary needs to go. He doesn’t have the NFL acumen to be a HC. Hard to believe seeing that he is a HOF player, but that’s what he is & will always be, a player. Let him coach the linebackers but please ban him from touching the offense.

26. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah you are right JR Baca, these so called 49er fans think they know all the answers. Remember Monday Night? *WE WANT CARR WE WANT CARR*, Singletary gave you Carr and he lost it for us agains the Panthers. Pfft, Troy Smith looked horrible against the Packers. Talking about play calliing, he had guys open and overthrew them. The only difference between him and Alex Smith is that Alex can throw from Shotgun and Troy can run from behind the center. But are we going to go to the Spread Offense? Nope. Never. The one thing that our QB was good at and we never let him work from Spread. Now we bring Troy Smith and he’s being dumb by taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away. Either way we aren’t going to get a good QB until we get a good QB coach like….Josh McDaniels? Anyways Mike Sing, if you are listening, I hope you tell Jed York to get McDaniels right now becaues even if we draft another QB, he’s gunna fail because we don’t have the right coach to coach em up.

27. By KDB on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

We are done and we are done because of this entire combination of in experienced COACHES. Tom Brady wouldn’t have done much better here. So to say we are giving up by putting in Alex, NO., WAKE UP.Now Pay Attention here because the POINT is, it doesn’t MATTER who you play with this coaching STAFF. They are a recipe for losing because of their in experience.

Play SUPERMAN, it ain’t happening with this STAFF, that’s the point!

28. By KDB on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Here is the 49er Organization Tree

Denise and Dr York-Owners?
    Jed York CEO

Praag Marathe Ex VP Ft Ball Ops
    Trent Baalke VP Player Personal

Singeltary Head coach
    Manuky d. Coordinator
    M Johnson Offensive Coordinator
    t. Rathman–Love Him
    Shottemheimer ??? Special Teams

Are you kidding ME!

29. By Eddie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I hope we can win the next four and be 8-8 and see what happens, but if it doesnt pan out and we lose the Seahawks, I hope the coaching staff plays only the second stringers for the remainder of the season and rest the starters to avoid any career ending injuries. Have them fresh for the next season and rebuild this team. For starters, the secondary needs revamping, offensive line, punt returner, etc. Oh I forgot, a new coaching staff. Go Niners!

30. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

JAKE SAID: Alex should start he should of been the starter after he became healthy
    ———————————————————————————————
    JARED SAID:Uhh… 50+ seconds to go in the first half. We’re trailing by 1 with 2 timeouts, and we decided to run the clock out. I can’t stand this coaching staff. Who does that? So pathetic. Singletary needs to be fired now. We clearly have talent (though Troy Smith is inaccurate and always will be) but our talent is being wasted via lousy coaching. Alex needs to start next week, but I’m sure our coaching staff will screw that one up too. York will probably never hire Gruden or Harbaugh, but a man can dream at least.
    ——————————————————————————————

I AM WITH YOU BUT NOT ON THIS PART ……Alex needs to start next week, but I’m sure our coaching staff will screw that one up too……..HE DID NOT DO GOOD AND WILL NOT DO ANY BETTER SORRU BUT ALEX SMITH HES BURN AT LEAST TROY SMITH DID WIN 3 GAME ALEX WIN 4 PRESAISON WOW ITS A WINNER WE GOT HERE

31. By MC on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you, I think Alex Smith sucks big times and he’s not gona do any better than Troy. May be if they would have given Troy a “REAL” chance, he wouldn’t be “inconsistent”.

32. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

JERRY YOU KEEP SAYING US BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE A RAVEN FAN. IF YOU LIKE SINGLETARY AND YOU LIKE THE NINERS WOULDNT YOU WANT TO KEEP HIM HERE. BUT YOU SAY COME HOME TO BALTIMORE PLEASE. CONFUZED………………

33. By SupraMig on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I agree, COACHING STAFF. The o-line has promise, young but good. Ted Ginn can return. Lots of talent on the team, but we need leadership from the Coaching staff, and one that knows how to use what they have.

Look at the Patriots, they get rid of Moss, have an average running game and are stomping people right now. Good Coaching

34. By L.G on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

They are clueless, start Alex no wait, start Troy…Either way we are in trouble…Alex starts he will have at least two turnovers guarantee, mark my words. Anyway at this point I don’t really care as long as they scrap the coaching staff and all the QB’s and get a proven HC and QB in free agency and the draft. Clear out everyone from the Nolan era and stop pulling coaches and players from the Ravens. Unfortunately I don’t have that kind of confidence in this organization to do that…The organization deliberately avoid the old west coast offense for some reason?

35. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

KDB

I AGREE WHIT YOU 100%

36. By Hermie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I agree it was very bad play calling and coaching…but please do not give Alex another chance no pocket presence. All any team has to do is flush him out of the pocket and he is done…Take him Johnson and Manusky out of here…rumors linking Gruden to the niners would be great!!

Turner – Good O.C. bad H.C.
    Holmgren – last I heard he is in Cleveland – not leaving!

All I want for X-mas is an O.C. and D.C….defensive Secondary…and Quarterback!!! You idiots sticking up for Alex can have him!! And, yes, I have played organized football and the quarterback position…so I think it is the Alex fans that need “Football 101″.

37. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

you got that right Hermie lol
    please stop the pain we need a good QB by drafting, or free agent i dont care. but we are tired to be at the bottom of the worst division…

38. By Shawn on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ok, first of all, the coaching staff are complete IDIOTS!!! Alex is not a winner, hints the 1 – 6 record!! first Nolan gets rid of Tim Rattay, then Singletary gets rid of Shuan Hill!!! these guys were winners!! coaches, what the hell are you doing??? you’re taking the threats that we have out of the games!! vernon and Crabtree are not threats…at all, you guys kept focusing on Gore!! well i hope you all are happy, now he’s out!! good job by literally running him to the ground, we have a very decent back in Westbrook and Dixon!!! Defense, what the hell are you guys doing!! i’m tired of yelling at the tv for the linebackers to MOVE UP!!! everytime i tell you to move up you move back and runners run right the gaps that i’m telling you to fill……i just don’t get it boy!!! i can go on and on!!!! believe me!!! B – RAD from San Jose!!!!! I hope the coaches actually read this stuff, i’m tired of it!!! Oh and coaches, watch the steelers Defense for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By Colten on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

BRING IN GRUDEN

40. By 9er 9er on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Singletary will be gone by or before the end of the season. Gruden would be my choice, but the demand for new headcoaches will make it difficult to obtain him. I think Brian Billick would be a good fit also. Both know football inside and out and the niners talent base is already in place.

The secondary (along with quarterback) are key to next season’s success. Although if we draft a rookie Q, I hope we don’t throw him to the “dogs” like we did with A. Smith in 2005. Give him some time to develop like Green Bay did with aaarrrgh, Rogers. I wonder how good he would be now if the niner’s had drafted him in 05 and tossed him out there with no offensive line so-to-speak?

41. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

No Hermie you must be dumb. Look at Shaun Hill, you want to know why he’s doing better with the Lions? You think its because of him or the Lions Team? You talk about finding another QB, I GUARANTEE YOU that if you bring another QB to the 49ers, they are going to be another Alex Smith story. How do you think Michael Vick became a pocket quaterback? Don’t tell me that he always was because he blew as a pocket quaterback with ATL. It’s the coaches, when you don’t have consitency and experience with the coaches you end up with nothing. Alex Smith 0-6 (loses by 3 pts in games), Troy Smith (3-2 loses games 0-21, 16-36), either way that shows me they both suck but I will say that Alex Smith is a better pocket QB than Troy smith. If Troy or Alex were to have better Coaches on this team, we would be doing better. You don’t know anything about football, you think that by drafting another QB we’re going to do good pfft get outta here. Yeah Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are one of the best QBs because of their talents alone…yeah right and Joe Montana as well as Steve Young did it without Bill Walsh and Steve Marriucci…You are the worse Hermie you aint no 49er fan you don’t support them in any situation, why don’t you turn to the Raiders

42. By MC on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Well than Jerry, I guess Hermie’s not the only dumb one since we kinda agree to what he’s saying but you sure seem to think that you know everything. Good for you.

43. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

44. By Andrew on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I think maybe we should have put Alex in the second half to see if he could do any better in the GB game…we had nothing to lose…Alex is far more accurate if he could jus control his turnovers he can win some games…we cant afford another loss if we want to even out our record…im jus goin to wait n see what Alex can do…im a niner fan to the end so imma watch the games n pray for our players

45. By Lets Rebuild 49ers on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Hmm…Alex Smith more accurate than Troy Smith but will always lose the game by 3 pts…on the other hand Troy Smith wins 3 games against lousy football teams but gets blown out by high tier teams but it is 3 wins…and he’s very inaccurate…hmm…I’d say we fire everyone but the o-line, RBs, TEs, D-line, LBs, FSs and SSs. We get rid of the QB’s and Corners then bring in a Top Tier Coach (Hopefully Gruden or Cowher are done with their Tv Gig). But oh no…the Grinch (Jed York) hires another louzy Coach because he wants to keep more in his pockets. Dang…we almost had another winning season…well at least we can wait til Gruden and Cowher are done with their TV Jobs.

46. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

And yes I am a Ravens Fan we are doing way better than you guys. We need a OC and a DC cuz our D keeps blowing it but at least we’ll make it to the playoffs. And yeah I do want Singletary to come to the Ravens because it suits him better. I want him to coach up Terell Suggs, cuz if you think that Patrick Willis’ success is because of him you are crazy. Sing was working with Suggs and Suggs is catching on but thank god we have Ray Lewis, the BEST LB in the league. Although I love P Willis, there aint gunna be another one like Ray Lewis

47. By LK in the valley on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Am a niner fan and you all have good points and things to say and all i’ll say is that Alex Smith is not Tom Brady but has enough skill to get the job done. The problem with this team is coaching the talent is good enough to be a 10-6 team but they don’t play to the strengths of this team and take advantage of the opponents weakness basic football. We lost some close games early with Alex but made alot of dumb mistakes and with Troy we have made less mistakes but lost big. Go with Alex open things up and use westbrook like philly used to, use Dixon for some kick’em in the teeth punch in the mouth running like he did in the preseason he’s your future back. Hey coach Mike let Mike Johnson handle the offense and Manusky handle the defense and you handle the pep talks before the game and at half time and of corse look at the film.

48. By MC on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I sensed something wasn’t right about you Jerry so why don’t you go back to your Raven’s website and discuss whatever you want with your friends and let US, Niners fans, discussed about our team.

49. By Gruden please come! on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

From the words of Jon Gruden:
    “(Hall of Famer) Joe Montana played in Bill Walsh’s system his entire 49ers career,” ESPNMonday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden says. “I’m thinking about poor Alex Smith. He’s had five offensive coordinators in five years. He’s lucky he can still stand up.

“He’s had to learn and relearn so many systems; it’s hard when there’s no continuity.

“That position takes time.” (Jon Gruden)

50. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

and jerry sending hermie to the raiders lol get a life man

51. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

and MC I’m here cuz I’m hoping that Jed York or Mike Singletary reads my comments cuz they seem to follow what the fans want. I remember the MNF game hearing we want carr and he blew it for you guys on the Car game. I think that Troy Smith and Singletary should come back to the Ravens. They were better over there and the only reason why T Smith never got to play was because he got sick. Brian Billick picked him up but never got the chance to coach him cuz he got fired. Sad to see Troy Smith and Singletary to find gold in the 49ers when the mines are all empty.

52. By Gruden for 2011!! on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

From the words of Jon Gruden:

“That position takes time.” (Jon Gruden).

53. By MC on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think that anyone here has an objection about giving you Singletary so let’s hope he listens to you:)

54. By Jerry on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah and MC you should stop changing your name too. You’re just another Troy Smith Bandwagon yet know nothing about your own team history or personnel.

55. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

No objection at all mc

56. By See MC I can change my name just like you on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah go change your name more MC hahaha 49ers < Ravens

57. By PETERD on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

But what have we seen that tells us Troy should start?
    Now is the time to compare, since we are not going anywhere.

58. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

peterd

ALEX SMITH EVEN ACCEPTED TO CUT HIS SALARY BUT AFTER ALL THE YEARS HE’S BEEN WITH US, HE CAN’T DELIVER…………TROY SMITH BEGAN WITH 3 VICTORIES, HE LOST AFTER BUT IT’S NOT ALL HIS FAULT.
    TIME TO COMPARE TO WHAT ????

59. By Brandon Murphy on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Lets not give up hope yet if we beat seattle that puts them to 6 and 7 and st louis has to play new orleans and if we beat SD which would make us 6 and 8 and seattle has atl n st louis has kc so all in all…all we have to do is win out cus i garuntee nethier of those teams will win more than 2 of there last 4…So lets Go Niners N I Got Ur Back Pat n tha whole 49er team!!

60. By MC on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Troy or Alex??? I think that with some coaching Troy can deliver but right now he’s got so much pressure on his shoulders that he’s not delivering. Alex had his chances, that’s only my perception. As for Singletary, he’s a good coach but should have gone with a new QB. I think the team, in all, has lotssssss of heart and will be fine, next year :)

61. By Nelson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I AGREE
    thats why its time to let troy play a max of game he canot do worst than alex…

62. By DaBooko on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Sing is trying to get fired what the Hell letting Alex play he is going to get fired as soon as this is season is over I just don’t understand his loyaltyto Alex he has never produced by the way he has NEVER beat Seattle why should he do it know what is this guy thinking time to scrap it and start over

63. By justblazin on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Alex will be fine if the rest of the team plays like they have been we lost all lose games early not all because alex threw pics but because the rest of the team made mistakes all game now all we need to do is spread it out and throw it i could call a better game with the madden playbook like i said alex wil do great if we call the right plays wow what a concept play to your players ability and look it only took me ten min to figure it out sing still tryn

64. By Jason on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Mike Singletary sounds like the dumbest dude ever. Alex Smith 0-5 to start over a dude 3-2. Why are you not fired yet Singletary. The team doesn’t believe in you or Alex Smith. Both of Yall kick rocks with open toe shoes. Sign Josh Mcdaniels as O coordinator. Kick the slave boy Mike Johnson out the booth. Sign Gurden or Captin Come Back Stanford. Drop weak butt ball hoggin Frank. Drop Shante n Goldson weak butt. Draft 2 coner backs and a speed wr. drop Josh Morgan no speed butt. drop everybody but delani n veron. Crab step your damn game up. u aint rice boi. u have a lot of work to do. Dez bryant way better than u. I hate to say im a niner fan. At least these niners. 80′s n 90′s niners boi. Oh yea the d coordinator has to go. he’s supa wack. doesn’t know crap about d.

65. By Troy Smith Bandwagoner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Troy Smith (3-2) 0-21 Bucs, 16-36 Packers
    Alex Smith (1-6) {6-31 Sea}, {22-25 NO}, {10-31 KC}, {14-16 Fal}, {24-27 Phi}, {17-9 Oak} Carolina loss = David Carr
    Troy Smtih 2 games lossed by combined 57 pts
    Alex Smith 5 games lossed by 54 pts combined
    Doesn’t make sense at all… both Qb sucks. But I’m a Troy Smith Bandwagon so all that matters to me is the 3 Wins over .500 lower teams. ITS ABOUT THE W

66. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Go 9ers, what do we have to lose, let’s give Alex another shot. There are only 4 games left, Alex could turn it around and take us to the playoffs. I think he is better Troy S. Alex is completely healed, I truly believe that he could win the rest and even take us to the Superbowl. Now to win the Superbowl, that would be tough. Go 9ers…………………

67. By sam on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Been with the Team since “Joe the Jet”,R.C. & other Great Memories & a change has to Come!! Meanwhile,let the boys Play!!

68. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Four more games, lets finish guys, win the rest. you have the support of your faithful fans around the United States, the UK and especially in New Mexico. It is your choice who you choose as QB, LET’S JUST PLAY HARD THESE LAST 4 GAMES & WIN, BUT HAVE FUN, GO 49ERS……

69. By ChickenFriedRice on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Let’s ALL GO WATCH THE FILM and maybe our football team will win games.

All the players are LOOKING AT FILM as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. By MC on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Changing my name, Jerry??? What r u talking about? Am not a Ravens fan making believe he’s a Niners fan:) Were you having a bad day? lol

71. By Nelson on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

4 Game to go heven if alex have five oc he dint deliver in the fist season to the five he win 4 game in presaeson and lose it all after and some poeple say he dint have hes chance poor guy no i cant let smit ruin the rest of the saeson or maybe he will win since he will play whit no pressure

72. By 49erGloryRoad on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

We don’t need a coach that has already been seen in the NFL. Lets face it, we need a new regime that hasn’t been seen. We had the right idea with Signletary the only problem is year in and year out he has proved that he like the team isn’t ready for the pressure. We have probably hands down the best Middle Linebacker in football, by now we should have a defense that isn’t touchable being built around Willis. From there we could fix our offensive problems, but then at least we would have shots of winning close games. Not getting blown out by Green Bay and their Favre replacement. Although no disrespect to Rodgers he had a hell of a game. Alex isn’t a starting QB, never has been, and never will be. He lacks too much. I’m afraid our other QB’s are the same way. What we need is a young rookie coach that can pull a team together out of nothing. When that day comes we will be back to being number 1. Until then, its going to be a long road.

73. By RUBEN_from_FRESNO on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith needs 2 be the starter and we need 2 run the spread offense With our wide recievers and tight ends no one can stop us troy was good but 2 inaccurate ALEX CAN GET IT DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

74. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

i will be there never giving up hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

jerry you talk as if you are niners fan you fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you sure sound like you want to be a niners fan. its all good everyone does.especially since it is very clear that we are very close to being twice as good as those ravens.(i do love ray lewis though)i do bleed red and gold so you half way fans make me sick!!!!!!!singletary is the man and no baltimore cant have him back. i am one of the few that think he will turn this boat around if we give him the time.and he dont need much more time just another year he will prove that he knows what he is doing .he had us poised to show us this year but freak mistakes by a lot of our players(that all love coach sing,by the way)at bad times of the game have cost us some close games.but we will get past that and singletary and the 49ers will shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

jason you are wrong the team does believe in coach singletary and alex smith. if you pay attention you will hear them all say it and they are all playing thier hearts out . its just been a freak season that we will be better from. as long as we dont give up hope like MOST of you dumb @ss fans already have.LETS GO 49ERS LETS DO WHAT WE CAN DO AND WIN OUT AND SEE WHERE ALL THE CHIPS FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

THE LAST THING THE FORTY NINERS NEED IS ANYTHING TO DO WITH JOSH MCDANIELS. HE SUCKS AND SHOULD NEVER EVEN STEP FOOT IN OUR LOCKER ROOM.AND JASON YOU ONLY LIKE THE NINERS WHEN WE ARE DOING GOOD,YOU SUCK TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LOYALTY.

78. By TRUE FAITHFUL on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I OBJECT MC. SING NEEDS TO STAY SO WE CAN FINISH WHAT WE STARTED.IF WE HAD A BETTER SECONDARY WE WOULD BE IN EVERY GAME AND WE WOULD HAVE WON THE CLOSE GAMES WE LOST . NOT SINGLETARY’S FAULT. BUT SINGLETARY WILL CORRECT THAT FOR US .WE CANT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

79. By Josh (pa niner fan) on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I definitely was very disappointed in sings decision to run out the clock at half. In games against good teams such as the packers i believe ur taking a bigger risk by not attempting to put points on the board. Football is a 60 minute game, not 28 mins. What an effect that decision must of had on the players. I know it had to eat at Willis an Davis, both players are fierce competitors an will stop at nothing to get a W. I think all this time, not only has alex smith not played like he has nothing to lose but sing hasnt coached like he has nothing to lose. If the pair would cut loose an take chances an play an coach like there’s no tomorrow there would be a lot more success.

80. By THE TRUTH on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

This 49er team is terrible to watch. Its so terrible that i have to watch another game just to remember what football really is. They are out coached, out played, and so on and so on..Its comical how the media and people in general make up excuses on why this team lost. and they do so like its rocket science or something…its so obvious why they are losing and it starts from the top period(..) i sometimes wounder if they have a sign that says ” Committed to Failure”…GO NINERS!!

81. By Jason on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

True Faithful, u obviously know nothing about football, the 80′s n 90′s niners had a identity. Bill Walsh and the west coast offense, which if your dumb butt knew football could tell how many teams run the west coast. The niners don’t play like they use to. They wanted a Defensive coach, so they got Nolan after that u make a guy who never was a Offense or defensive coord a coach. Josh Mcdaniels was a good coordinator u idiot. U sound young and dumb, too much Madden in your life. So kick back enjoy the team we have now and when the changes come you will get cut too. sucka