49ers Place Frank Gore on Injured Reserve

Posted by Taylor Price on November 30, 2010 – 2:36 PM

Frank Gore’s season is officially over. The 49ers placed the two-time Pro Bowl running back on Injured Reserve Monday after he fractured his right hip against the Cardinals on Monday night.

Gore will come up 147 yards short of reaching the 1,000-yard mark, ending a streak of four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

“It is unfortunate that we had to place Frank on IR,” coach Mike Singletary said in a statement released by the team. “He is not only a great football player, but a tremendous leader. He plays with such passion and desire, two traits that will serve him well as he recovers from the injury.”

In other roster moves, the team placed wide receiver Dominique Zeigler (left anterior cruciate ligament tear) on IR as well. To fill Gore and Zeigler’s spots on the 53-man roster, the team has promoted safety Chris Maragos and running back DeShawn Wynn from the practice squad.

Also, the team waived kicker Shane Andrus from the active roster and released tackle Xavier Fulton from the practice squad.

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “49ers Place Frank Gore on Injured Reserve”

1. By brian on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

AHH Man, u kidding me! Gore out for the year? I know that westbrook is a good back, but losing Gore is the offense period… Like last night the D needs turnovers to keep the niners in the game now… Get well soon Buddy (GORE) we will miss you big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By soldier witness on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I think we need 2 give westbrook a contract maybe a 2 year deal

3. By soldier witness on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Get well frankie !

4. By Hermie on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

This is such a shame. We lose more than just our main running back, but a great blocker too. Hopefully with the rotation of Westbrook and Dixon, we will have a more balanced attack w/running outside and between the tackles.

Frank will definitely be missed by me as I am sure he will be by the team!!

5. By detroitniner on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Frank you’re the best, my prayers are with you
    well now maybe our OC will exploit some of the other talent we have and be forced to open things up, hey Sing this is not the 86 bears

6. By SupraMig on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I know Frank Gore will recover and come back strong next year. He is a great leader and can still benefit the team from that end.

I have faith in Westbrook and Dixon, but agree that we need a more balanced attack, we need to rely on our other weapons like Davis, Walker, Crabtree, Ginn and let Troy Smith open it up.

The season is still in their own hands, lets do it NINERS!!!!!!

7. By Terrence Hands on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

To lose a player like Gore coould be a blessing. After all I know I wasn’t the only fan to see westbrook run for 136 yards last night.. and Dixon he’s a beast. I love Frank Gore like any other 49er fan but remember when drew Bledsoe went down and a sixth round pick out of Michigan name Tom Brady came in and been on field every since. Who knows…. either way Let’s go niners…

8. By joemomma on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I believe it’s a blessing that Westbrook will now be able to show his talents. It was Gore , Gore Gore. Good player, but the team became too relient on one player. Teams knew the niners offense. Keep the defense guessing. A more balanced attack will mean wins in the future.

9. By soldierwitness on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I think we need 2 sign westbrook 2 a contract maybe a 2 year deal

10. By Michael on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

it is unfortunate that the 49ers lose gore, but it seems as though it is a blessing in disguise. last nite showed that the 49ers do have other threats and weapons on the field instead of gore. gore is not the only member of the 49ers that can score and make plays. open it up, throw the ball to our receivers and utilize westbrook and dixon, two good backs. sing is to blame for not using westbrook and dixon more often earlier this season. win some more ball games and then fire sing at the end of the season. recover well gore.

11. By carmen on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

What! Gore’s out for the season!! He my favorite player. He will be missed this year.

12. By 49ermarc on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

This really sucks that frank gore the workhorse of our team is out! I am glad that westbrook is in there to carry the load. I hope some players step up and become reliable and dependable like gore!

Get well frank! Comeback soon.

13. By DAMAN on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I cant believe our number 1 back got hurt. Thank god we picked up westbrook because I dont think anthony dixon is ready to handle the back all by himself yet.

14. By Todd on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Get well soon…..The fans, the Niners and the NFL need to have players like you on the field.

15. By joemomma on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m from Delaware (phillys backyard) and watched westbrook here. Been a niners fan since Brodie and gene washington. we will not be disappointed with westbrook. should have used him right from the start we would be a .500 plus team. lessons learned. go niners!

16. By KDB on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I can, they have used him sooo much it’s sad because of no O/C creativity and this is what happens when you don’t have a PLAN, MIKE Singeltary!!!

Luv U Frank G!!!

17. By Manuel on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Get Well Gore.
    see you next season.
    you had a great season so far.
    your injury is going to motivate the players
    and get them to the playoffs.
    GO NINERS!!!!!!!

18. By Andrew in Wichita on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Losing Ziegler is major because of F. Gore’s injury. Kick coverage is spotty. I only have basic cable. Heard game on WestwoodOne. Troy Smith seems to be our QB now, not next yr. Receivers seem surprised sometimes that he puts the ball right where it needs to be. Tackling seems more sound than a few weeks ago. I was very happy that Cardinals outdid 49ers in penalties by at least 4:1. Must have few penalties next game vs. Green Bay. As for RB Westbrook– I always knew he had it in him. Randy Cross noted Westbrook’s experienced, intelligent & patient follow-the-blockers technique. I know this team can squeeze out division title taking things one quarter at a time. Maybe use TEs & WRs a lot for running plays? O Line loves blocking for them.
    LOVE U 49ERS!!!! Fan since Woody Peoples & Ted Kwalick!

19. By JasonXFlash on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Been looking for #21 F.G. jersey over here in Baton Rouge, But man none of the sport stores got it. Afraid to order on line cuz they might not fit. But I’ll get me one soon. So sad to see Gore got hurt. He would have a big night. 1000+ streaks ends. I’m still crying on the inside. Wish U the best Frank. And get WELL SOON.
    a Niner diehard fan fr. Baton Rouge.

I drove 9 hrs to see u guys played against the Birds in Atlanta. Even we lost but LOVED it.

20. By FrancisM on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Bo Jackson was never the same after this same injury. God I hope Gore recovers well.

21. By footdronline on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

49ers Frank Gore Suffers Season Ending Hip Fracture – Read more at: http://footdronline.com/blog.html

22. By Shuuugo on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Get better Gore. You are such a huge part of the 49er family and its very hard to see you hurt. We love you and will always support you. The games won’t be the same without you, but i’ll still be here every sunday wearing my #21 jersey. Long Live Gore and the 49ers!!!

23. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Blessings to you brother Gore, may the good Lord heal you completely. I do agree that Wesbrook should have been playing a lot earlyer. Our 9ers looked real good last night eventhough I would have liked to see a score of 57 to 6. lets do it again guys. Lets win them all. but stay humble! Go 49ers…….

24. By Daniel from Marysville, Ca on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

We all will miss you Frankie. God Bless you and your family. Get well soon. Go 49ers!

25. By robert on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Its all good gore is a trooper lets hope he heals fast so maybe when we make the playoffs hell come back. Good luck to Westbrook and Dixon we are gonna need you to hold the running game down.

26. By IsaiahLeon on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Get better F.Gore! Can wait to see Westbrook go off on the Green Bay SLACKERS. We need to extend Westbrooks contract for 2 or 3 more years. Westbrook, one of my FAV RBs behind F.Gore! Go 49ers!!!!!!!!!!

27. By Jeff Watson on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Losing Gore hurts…Not gonna lie…In a way it hurts even more because he is only 147 yards away from a 5th straight 1,000 yard season…I believe Westbrook can fill in and be productive and I’m a huge fan of Dixon…He’s a beast…I’m excited for Dixon’s future…I know this is a tough loss to lose such a high caliber player, but I believe we can do this…Let’s go NINERS!!!

28. By tj smith on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

this is exactly what the niners need. prepare dixon for next year, this year doesnt matter. if they make it to the superbowl they will get killed and singletary will keep his job. if they dont get to the superbowl they can get a higer draft choice, maybe trade it. but most importantly singletary will probably be fired and the niners havee to get a good coach. tampa bays old coach? stanfords coach?

29. By J Faaita on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Gore is the man! We’ll miss you but lets not give up on our season just yet! Finish strong Niners!

30. By jose on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I believe this is a blessing in disguise because Singletary played to conservative by running the ball with Gore and counting to much on the defense to win the game for us but lets face it the defense isnt playing as good this year. I hope this causes Singletary to open up the offense and get the wideouts and tightends involved more. If Singletary cant do it then fire him and find a coach that can.

31. By Miguel padilla on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Gore to me u are such a raw die hard running back…just like u recovered from the injury while @ da U OF MIAMI u will bounce back from this my ninja…you put it down tho for wstbrook n dixon n our rushing attack n what we expect…if they put out like u we gonna be representing the nfc west in da playoffs….fawk da lambs n seagulls lets go niners….

32. By steve9er on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

get well and heal up for next year frank gore
    i have you on my fantasy team and i drafted you as
    a rookie in 05, and this year i am in 1st place
    and now will have try to win without you, i’ll
    probably pick up brian westbrook to finsh out the
    year take care frank and god bless!

33. By Ruben on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Frank G, get well soon! FG is the heart and soul of Niner Offense its sad to see him out of the game he is a joy to watch! Take care and without dought you will support the team as the Niner Faithfulls as all of us. Go Niners and Westbrook, you have big shoes to fill in but I know you will help us get to the Playoffs!!

34. By Vanessa on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Soooooo sad that Gore got hurt! Not to be a pessimist, but I figured this would happen since they played him in almost EVERY play. Please get better soon Frank, I will miss watching you play these next five weeks. You are the BOMB!!!! ♥♥♥

35. By Orlando in Napa on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I respect, Frank Gore whole-heartedly. This man no doubt is a great football player and will be missed, however its’ his character that I admire most. A modest, sensitive, sincere, proud man who’s concern for his mother came before everything else. Frank I grow the best prized cherries and would like to send you 5 lbs next May or June Just give me an address.

36. By Marcus on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Well even us few fans on the east coast will miss GORE. Get well soon. Now its time for WESTBROOK to show that he still has it. As Far as DIXON goes we will see. They have to stick to the run. Yes TROY SMITH can throw but not accurately like we need

37. By Red & Gold on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Was very glad to see us focus on the Offensive Line with this years draft…
    About time! This has been our weakness for 15 yrs.! We need to do it again next year and also find a quarterback. Alex is and was a bust. Get over it. Niners,..Move on…We knew this three years ago but kept trying…Waste of time!

We need to keep building the O-Line, Draft a Quarterback and sorry to say, find a Coach.
    I like Singletary but he does not possess a head coaches mind. He was an amazing football player but just not a head coach. You build winning franchises with brains just as we did with Bill Walsh. Like Lombardy, Belicheck etc…
    We need someone with an innovative football philosophy, not a bruiser…
    Please find him Mr. York…

38. By kbadyal on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Hope this is not the last we will see of Frank Gore. But a hip fracture could be career threatening. Was a privilege to watch him in London v the Broncos. The heart and soul of the team. Let’s smash the Packers this weekend and dedicate the victory to Frank. Hope to see Mr Gore back next year. Go Niners!!!

39. By Pipucho on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Im happy for westbrook`s performance, I hope to see too Dixon running the ball, by the way, I would like to see Kyle Wiliams returning kicks like Ginn, I think that these both players can defeat packers secondary with a vertical attack, its the time for defeating the packers.
    Gooooooo niners!

40. By Johne B on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Love ya Gore and you’ll be “MISSED”!! Get well and do what the doctor’s say so we can see you back next season! GO NINER’S!!

41. By Flying Fossil on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Get Well Soon Frank,we will miss you,hope it heals better than new. I have been a Niner fan since Franke Albert at Kezar, so have been thru a lot of HIGHs & lows. GOOOOOOOOO, NINERS get G.B.

42. By JR Baca from New Mexico on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

It is nice to hear that you don’t have to operated on. but do rest up. It is good to know that you have the Lord on your side. With the Lords help you will heal well brother Gore. Now is the time for Thunder and Lightning to shine, let this next game be a tribute to Frank & every 9er player from the past, like when we got our 5 time seasons back in the 80′s and 90′s. I remember those days of high scoring games. let’s become 6 time Champs this season. Us true fans have confedence in you guys, you can do it. Go 49ers, lets finish, & may the good Lord be with you all, Amen!

43. By Rod on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Get well Frank, you`re the very best!