Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Nov. 15

Posted by Taylor Price on November 15, 2010 – 4:52 PM

“Well, as of right now, Smith will be the starter,” Mike Singletary said with a chuckle at the start of his Monday press conference. “We’re going to go with Troy.”

There’s pretty much all the talk you need to hear to understand the theme of Monday’s locker room availability. Troy Smith will be the 49ers starting quarterback this Sunday when the 49ers host the 6-3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Smith will be in the lineup on a week-to-week basis, as long as he’s able to play at the level he’s showcased in two starts (29-of-47 for 552 yards with two touchdowns, no interceptions and a quarterback rating of 116.6).

The news won’t change the preparation habits of either signal caller named Smith. Both said as much when speaking to the media.

“I’m going to attack it the same way we always do. That has no bearing on the way we’re going to prepare,” said Troy, channeling a team-first outlook.

“I’m going to prepare like I always have, do everything I can to be ready. And when my number gets called, I’ll be ready for this team,” Alex said.

The locker room has faith in either Smith, but said they understand the reasoning behind the decision. As tight end Vernon Davis put it bluntly, the team will support whatever decision is made by their head coach.

“I love Alex dearly. We’re always going to be good friends whether he’s the starting quarterback or not. You have to support your teammates,” said Davis, who had two touchdown catches nullified by penalties on Sunday but finished with four catches for 79 yards.

The penalties didn’t discourage the 49ers. Although there were 14, both sides of the ball kept playing even if the field was consistently covered with laundry (26 penalties between both teams).

Davis relayed the scene inside the 49ers huddle after his second touchdown grab was wiped off the board. The 49ers could’ve responded negatively, but they didn’t. They took heed to the words of their quarterback.

“He didn’t put his head down,” Davis said of Troy Smith’s demeanor. “He just kept on going. He said, ‘We’ll get it again. We’ll get another opportunity.’ I was upset as well. But, you can’t be mad. Things like that happen. You have to move on and wait for your next opportunity.”

Two plays later, the offense got that opportunity.

Smith completed a 16-yard touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree, a play that was ranked as the top catch in Week 10 by the NFL Network.

Crabtree’s steady rise has not gone unnoticed by his teammates. His four touchdowns in the past five games are appreciated, but more importantly expected.

“Crab is that type of player where he can break a game open,” Smith said. “Him making plays is going to be very important for our offense to have success. Across the board though, everyone needs to make plays.”

If that’s the case, Sunday’s performance against St. Louis was a positive development. The 49ers had five different receivers total over 60 receiving yards for the first time in franchise history, including running back Frank Gore’s three catches for 67 yards.

Through nine games, Gore is having a season comparable to his career-best year in 2006 where he rushed for 1,695 yards and caught 61 passes for 485 yards.

To wit: Gore needs 222 rushing yards to make it five consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. He’s rushed for 778 yards through nine games, 53 yards off the pace he was on in 2006. His team-leading 41 receptions have netted 415 yards, just 70 off his career-best. And Gore’s 10.1 yards per catch this season is a career high.

The six-year pro showed how versatile he can be out of the backfield, gaining 23 yards on a fourth-and-18 late in the fourth quarter.

“To keep the drive going, that was a big play,” Gore said.

Gore and the rest of the offensive huddle kept belief that the 18 yards needed would be attainable.

“I was hoping we’d make a play and get the first down and we did it. You have to believe and keep hope alive,” said Davis, reiterating the same mindset the team will use for the remaining seven games of the season.

“We have to take it one game at a time, keep climbing the ladder,” Gore said. “We took one step and we got to keep going.”

Notes and Quotes

The biggest non-quarterback news of the day involved the 49ers offensive line. Left tackle Joe Staley will miss 4-6 weeks with a broken left fibula. Staley said he cracked the bone while blocking Rams defensive end James Hall. X-rays were negative, so Staley trotted back on the field to be with his teammates for a handful of plays but gave way to veteran Tony Wragge when the pain became unbearable.

Staley’s absence from the field will be just that, from the field. He’ll do whatever he can behind the scenes to help his teammates prepare for each opponent. “I’m going to do all I can do to help our team, help our offensive line. I’m definitely going to be in every meeting and everything I can to help us win.”

Singletary said Adam Snyder and Barry Sims will be in the mix to replace Staley. Snyder suffered a shoulder sprain against the Rams, but Singletary indicated that the initial reports were positive. The team is awaiting his MRI results.

The team is also awaiting MRI results on Joe Nedney’s right knee, which was injured early in the game, but didn’t stop the veteran from making his eighth game-winning field goal with the 49ers and 20th of his career.

Wragge, who never lined up at left tackle professionally, did a solid job in spot duty. Even if it was at a position he never practices, Wragge was pleased to be accountable for his teammates in crunch time. “I can’t lie, it feels really good to step in, contribute and make sure we got the job done.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Nov. 15”

1. By 9ersallday on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Look at this team unity. With the unity that we have there should be no way we dont make the playoffs. i was on nfl.com and i was looking in on the chat with the QB killa and he said that troy should have been the starter in baltimore and now look he is making things happen for our team. Also look at a spcefic quote said in this looker room talk (“He didn’t put his head down,” Davis said of Troy Smith’s demeanor. “He just kept on going. He said, ‘We’ll get it again. We’ll get another opportunity.’) that is a leader for you so lets get up and get behind our boys. Their hungry and the game sundy proved just that. LETS GO 9ERS SHUT THE HATERS UP AND PUT THE SO CALL PROFESSINALS THAT SAY WE HAVE NO CHANCE IN THEIR PLACE. NINERS FAN FOR 23 YEARS AND WILL BE TILL THE DAY I DIE.

2. By Sertz49 on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Troy Smith is a WINNER! You can see the fire and leadership that he brings to the Quarterback position and with that” KEEP HIM THE #1 STARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please.

3. By Gamebreaker76 on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Simple fact Troy Smith has sent a message that he can do the job for the 49ers. The last 2 games with no turn overs. Alex smith has had his time even though has had a rocky road. But Troy wants it more. Ya some days Alex play good but most of the time he messes up and gets turn overs. Can the 49ers get by like that? And by the way troy did something that Alex hasn’t done in a while WIN! Does coach sing want to lose his job????? Simple fact TROY SMITH is the quarter back that get us the playoff. We are the niner fans. I THINK TROY IS NOW OUR QUARTERBACK!

4. By John Perez on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

WINNERS WIN LETS GO TROY!!!!

5. By facedagree on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

ALL I CAN SAY IS I LOVE IT!!!!!!WERE NOT DONE YET BY FAR AND THA DIVISION BETTER CHECK THEM SELVES CUZ TROY AINT PLAYING.THA “O” IS BEHIND HIM AND THA PLAYERS ARE RESPONDING!!!!!!!LETS GET IT.GAME PLAN VERY WELL AND TAMPA BETTER CHECK THEMSELVES!!!!!!!

6. By ishmael stagner on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Tampa Bay will not just roll over and play dead. Have to keep the pressure on QB Freeman and cut down on stupid penalties. Will miss Staley, but the backups are great. Offense needs to have a breakout game so that they are protecting a lead, not trying to come up from behind. GO NINERS!

7. By Gordy Gomez on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Leave Troy as the starter!! If Sing wants to keep0 his job hes should!

8. By Gordy Gomez on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Leave Troy as the starter!

9. By scott stearns on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

The niners look much better with troy smith at qb .he doesn’t turn the ball over i don’t understand why the niners stuck with Alex Smith so long he Sucks. even Sean Hill won more percentage of his games for us.

10. By big sky 49er fan on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

how come coach Sing isnt mentioning Alex Boone to get some minutes at left tackle ? thought he had a great spring and preseason?

11. By adam on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

need to clean up the penalties( 14 in all, two t.d.’s and an interception called back ) or they will implode. 49ers need to run the board for the rest of the season or they may not make the playoffs.troy smith gives them best chance of that. good luck 9ers

12. By jbizzle on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I thought i would never say this=(I LOVE SMITH Not realy
    Gooo…… TROY

13. By Juan on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t be talking playoffs just yet, but we have to take it one game at a time and if our team keeps doing what they have to do to win, who knows its possible, the last two wins have been ugly especially last weeks but things worked out, now our team has to improve on last weeks mistakes and do there best to win the next game because Freeman seems like Mr. Comeback. GO 49ers 4life

14. By Louie on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Wow what a game, loved every minute.

The offense looked great, when you have so many players making plays that’s a statement to the league.

If the niners can limit the penaties it’s scary how good they could be.

The defense is great, championships are built around defense. If it’s not this year it’s coming the niners are on the way up big time.

15. By ChickenFriedRice on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

All one needs to do is watch the 49ers POST GAME LOCKER ROOM SPEECH video after Sunday’s win over the Rams. COach Sing does his speech and then Troy caps it off with a lil speech of his own. The team believes in Troy.

Never have I heard Alex Smith gather everyone in a huddle during a post game locker room speech and give his team an inspiring speech. Therein lies the difference.

And this is why in Coach Sing’s Monday Press Conference video, he says that Troy “has been the difference”.

‘Nuff Said.

Go get em Niners!!!

16. By Ali Saheb on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Ha There…… for all you Alex Smith Fans that have been hoping he gets the start…. well there…. in your face….. you guys were blind just like alex smith and dont know whats good for the team like Singletarty…..I have been saying it for years… alex is a disease.. just like Jamarshmello in Oakland was… NOW LETS SEE WHAT KIND OF TALENT WE HAVE ON THIS TEAM…. something we could never do wiht a crap QB like Alex…… TROYS #1

17. By Jerry Melrose on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Smith Brothers___

Ebony & Ivory___

Keep the Miracle Alive!

18. By Tyler Elder on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Here’s the truth, Alex Smith has had enough time to learn the offense and even he’s only gone 1 1/2 games this year without turning the ball over. Point is, Troy Smith has been learning this offense for 10 weeks and still has yet to turn the ball over. Though he is sporadic and he will make mistakes, he still puts the team above himself and finds ways to win. Troy Smith would have been the starter in Baltimore had he not gotten an illness that kept him out for 3 weeks. Troy Smith is proving himself; he’s not proven all together but the progress, the leadership and the maturity he is showing in the pocket is helping the 49ers win. I mean come on, over 430 yards of offense vs. St. Louis, and St. Louis has the #10 defense in the NFL. GO 49ERS!!!

19. By Tybolt on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

One thing that i hear when i read all these comment it everyone is in love with Troy Smith because he won a couple game…me myself i really like the wins to but i don’t love Troy Smith quite yet…i hope he can perform like he did in the past two game in the future…i really do…but my gut is telling me this might be like beginners luck…I TRULY HOPE THAT THIS IS NOT THE CASE…if Troy can keep winning and win his first road game then i will be happly hopping on the Troy Smith bandwagon…9er fan always…GO 9ERS

20. By jazzy jeff on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Reggie Smith is a Better Saftey then Taylor Mays he should have been playing along time ago. critical thinking is what we have been missing to put the right players on the field.

21. By Matthew on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

@ali saheb..lmao.i think u Dont know ur football my dude.Obviously no ones really a alex fan.hes had 6yrs of chances.lol.I think ur on a good one for thinking Singletary not the man for the J O B.And Lastly I Think Mike Johnson Is One Hell Of An Offensive Coordinator.u actually dont know what there guna do…I Think well run the table but lose to the pack in gb and maybe the chargers in sd.hope we get in.21″The Inconvienent Truth” 4 President

22. By Ronald on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I would love to jump on Troy Smith’s bandwagon and I’ll probably will! I know one thing Alex Smith is not the answer for the Forty Niners! I really think he’s the answer! I know one thing it’s only 2 games, but if they defeat Tampa Bay and Green Bay with Troy starting that will be huge and I will be on that bandwagon! Go Niners!

23. By PigskinU on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always pulled for Alex… but Troy Smith was flat out amazing! He deserves the starting job. He’s got great natural ability and you can tell he’s a playmaker. If he can be a true leader on and off the field he could be here for a while.

24. By adam77 on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Anthony Davis should be our biggest concern right now, he is a liabilty at that tackle spot. I thought as the weeks went on he would be playing better but hes not

25. By andrew on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

troy smith is a beast!!!!! lets go 9ners

26. By Eoin from Ireland - 9er since 84 on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Not been this excited about an SF QB for quite a few years. I saw alex in a pre season interview and the way he held himself said to me that he had no real confidence. Kept saying he hoped it would be a good season and he hoped he could lead the team to the playoffs. Not good enough – rabbit in the headlights i’m afraid.

We just need a healthy O Line and some good seconday players to be very competitive. Won’t make playoffs this year though. Seattle winning was huge for them.

27. By L.G on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Yea it is so refreshing to see Troy playing well. He kind of reminds me of a Bret Farve or a Steve Young type of QB. Were very lucky to have snagged him because he is a young QB that will only going to get better! I am so happy were moving on!

We have some big games coming up, if they play like last Sunday they can beat anyone…I like to see them shut out a few teams though. I see Seattle losing to the Saints and the Rams losing to the Falcons Sunday. That puts us even more in the hunt but they must win Sunday. They may be able to drop one game for the rest of the season but not in the division.

28. By John Shupe on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Troy without a doubt has control now as QB , its up to the team and fans to embrace him. Considering this position has been very much on the minds of many people for a while. Now that this position has been comfortably put into Troys hands , maybe the Niners can work on other areas of the team to make the team even more solid.

29. By Holistic Practitioner on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Troy is da man! I say we keep Barry Sims at Left Tackle, Move Staley (when he gets back) to Right Tackle, and have Anthony Davis at Backup until he progresses more.

30. By KDB on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

In any case, I wouldn’t go that far myself on harsh Alex critism I know he’s good this situatio0n is just a bunk one for him with everything that has happened. So agaon, I’d take him on my team.

As for T. Smith, big jury still for down the road but for now, he’s wining so we’ll see. If he continues at this pace which means continuing to be an ok QB then let him play. At this point if he doesn’t deliver then the whole crew him and coaches will be gone, there’s nothing left to bailt out.

I think that they need to go deep into the playoffs in order for Singeltary to stick around another season of 8-8 not good enough. And just so you know, I’m not a believer in him as a HC for us.

You should have known I’d be back I mentioned I was on vacation, I don’t run from nothing and my beliefs haven’t changed because we won 2 weeks in a row. I do however, appreciate your apology.

I’m out.

31. By steve on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

one game at a time its all about the bucks this week and thats all no play offs no los of site its all about the bucks and the 49ers shoud treet them like a supper bol teem frome here out ever game shoud be like a supper bole thay need to prep and play like this is the biggest game of the year for ever one

32. By 57NINER on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

TRUE THAT STEPHEN! ALL THERE IS IS THE NEXT GAME . NO OTHER. NO CON-
    CEIT, NO UNDERESTIMATION. JUST ABOUT EVERYONE AND HIS AUNT FANNIE
    KNOW OF THE TALENT UPON THIS TEAM: OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY.
    I DO BELIEVE THAT PATRICK WILLIS IS THE DEFENSIVE CAPTAIN. HE AND TROY
    SHOULD FOCUS THEIR RESPECTIVE UNITS. BUILD A COMMON WILL. SPECIAL
    TEAMS NEEDS TO CATCH UP. TURN IT LOOSE GINN. WALK UPON THE FIELD AS
    ONE! DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO NINERS!!

33. By KDB on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

John Shupe,

Well said. That’s an honest critique and very Knowledgeable in my opinion on the players.

Now let’s see the coaches makes the necessary adjustments after 2 yrs of floundering.

Nice

34. By Mike on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Penalties…. and no 3rd downs?? Cmon guys, get it together !!!\

GO NINERS

35. By Chris (EPT) on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I like the way the team is rallying around Troy Smith and its well deserved.. The team just needs to stay focused and execute on every play… everytime they mess up they need to make up for it twice as hard on the next play and win by any means necessary!!! I will take ugly wins (like the one agains the rams) any day!!! Niners All The Way!!!

36. By bob on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

as an ohio state fan for the past 52 years, i’m not surprised at troy smith’s performance as an nfl quarterback. as a buckeye, he may have been the most athletic quarterback that i can remember ever playing in the horseshoe. his growth as a quarterback and leader of the team his senior year was extraordinary, and his stock fell solely because the entire team collapsed against florida in the bcs championship game. but there is no question in mind, that troy smith is a gamer, and will give us everything he has, both on the field and off. he is an extraordinary gentleman, and listen to how humble he is. team first, and that is the way he was with the buckeyes. niners fan since 1959, and will be until the day i am buried!

37. By tom in nj on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Penaltys are costing us and will be more costly down the road if they aren’t addressed! I think Anthony Davis has hit the wall and should be rotated a bit.
    Amazing how winning erases alot! We’re on our way if Troy Smith AKA Baby Vick keeps playing the way he is . Troy is even inspiring our defense! YEAH!GO NINERS!

38. By 57NINER on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

MIKE JOHNSON SEEMS TO BE AN INTERESTING CHARACTER. DON’T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM (maybe that’s a good thing). WITH THESE LAST TWO GAMES HE SEEMS TO BE OPENING IT UP. I’M KINDA IMPRESSED WITH “TROY BUILT” IN THAT FOR JUST STARTING HE IS FREE FLOWING, FOCUSED BUT UPON OCCASION QUITE CAPABLE OF WING’N IT. NOT EVERY SERIES GOES AS SCRIPTED. CURIOSITY SAYS WHAT WOULD A SPLIT BACKFIELD WITH FRANK”THE TRUTH” AND MR. WESTBROOK DO? WHAT A SCAREY PROPOSITION THAT WOULD PRESENT DEFENSES. THEY COULD TRADE LEAD BLOCKS AND REALLY CREATE HAVOIC. HISTORY: 2nd BENGALS GAME- THEY LEAD BY 3 WITH 3:22 ON CLOCK BOTTOM OF THE FORTH. JOE BOY GOES THE DISTANCE WITH TD TO JOHN TAYLOR. FAST FORWARD TO RAMS GAME. TROY BUILT GOESTHE DISTANCE FROM THE 8 OR 10 TO BEGIN WITH. OUTSTANDING. MR. MIKE MAYBE TROY DOESN’T KNOW THE PLAYBOOK QUITE YET, BUT THE BOY CAN PLAY. MAYBE YOU NEED TO GO OVER THE PLAYBOOK? GENTLEMEN YOUR SEASON HAS “JUST” BEGUN AND HOPEFULLY A NEW ERA OF 49ERFOOTBALL. I FIND IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE HC WOULD FIND ITSO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND THAT TROY SMITH HAS “FIRED UP” BOTH”HIS” TEAM AND ALL OF US FANS. THERE REALLY IS SOMETHING VERYSPECIAL ABOUT HIM. NEXT GAME TAMPA BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO NINERS

39. By steve on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

plese mike and jed one game at a time its all about the bucks and the play shoud be as if thir faceing the sants or colts at a hi level ! i was in the 3ed row 9ers side end zone at the sants 9ers game and this teem can roll with aney teem out thir JUST ONE GAME AT A TIME i thank thats all the fans are asking for go 9ers !!!!!!!!!

40. By Sf4t9er on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get rid of Alex and Carr and get some better back up incase Troy get’s hurt. I would hate to see those looser take a snap for the niners. We need to move up NATE and get another QB on the open market next year.

41. By 57NINER on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

I did a previous post about “the eyes”. It is the gateway to presence and focus,
    or disolution and obscurity. Alluded to Joe Montana and his vision: the eyes
    while he was under center. Jerry Rice always seemingly “wide eyed”. The
    ability to see the field (not only see it but to visualize what will go on in that area).
    Then to check off primary to secondary to safety valve. All this within 3-5 secs.
    Back to the eyes: in the beginning of the season everyone looked down. HC,
    OC (j raye), Manusky, even “The Truth” didn’t look at you (interviews etc.) And
    Alexia: well I thought he had Ostioporiisis or was looking at something on the
    ground. Same way he Quarterbacked.
    Enough said; now within these last few weeks! LOOKIE LOOKIE even the old
    god fearin linebacker HC can joke, and there is a glimmer in his eye. Mike Johnson no longer the “deer in the headlights” syndrome. Moreover, like a
    kid in a candy store. The honest pooling of experience, expertise, and youth
    coupled with a coordinator whom can blend and execute the consensus
    plan. Players alike have a better look (the eyes). No longer vague and distant
    but with a gleam and looking right at you; focused. ITS A GOOD THING !!!!!
    ITS ALWAYS BEEN THERE BUT TROY SMITH HAS BROUGHT IT OUT WITH
    EVERY PLAYER UPON THIS TEAM AND WITH EVERY COACH.
    GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME/ THIS FIELD/ NOW. HOOOAHH!

42. By Darnell on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

THATZ WAT HAPPENZ WEN U DRAFT 2 LINEMEN N THE FIRST ROUND, NOW WE R PAYIN FOR IT, WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED EARL THOMAS, THE SAFTEY FROM TEXAS!!!!!!!!! SAN FRAN BETTA DRAFT N THE SECONDARY N THIS YEARZ DRAFT OR PICK UP AH BIG NAME CORNER OR FREE SAFTEY

43. By jazzy jeff on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

THATS WHY PETE CARROLL DIDNT TAKE TAYLOR MAYS, HE DOSENT HAVE ANY BALL SKILLS, HES BIG AND FAST BUT HE CANT CHANGE DIRECTIONS VERY WELL AND HE DOSENT READ COVERAGES, HE REALLY DIDNT HAVE TO DO THAT AT USC. REGGIE SMITH IS YOUR GUY,