Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Sept. 13

Posted by Taylor Price on September 13, 2010 – 4:47 PM

Instead of stewing about Sunday’s 31-6 frustrating road loss to the Seattle Seahawks, the 49ers are attacking Week 2 with an even greater sense of urgency.

What’s done is done. Now it’s time for the 49ers to play up to their potential.

As Patrick Willis pointed out, there’s no better opportunity to do that by putting together a solid performance in the team’s home opener Sept. 20 on “Monday Night Football.”

The 49ers welcome the defending Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints, and as Willis said, the game offers a new challenge to the 49ers.

It’s one that if successful, could make Sunday’s performance in Seattle forgotten faster than Willis’ 40-time.

“You’re not always going to play the way you envisioned before the game or the week of. Adversity is going to happen,” said the Pro Bowl linebacker who totaled a game-high 10 tackles against the Seahawks. “It’s not what happens, but how you overcome it.  We have a big game coming up, today’s the day we’re going to watch film, correct our mistakes, put this game behind us and get ready for a big game Monday night against a very good football team.”

The locker room echoed the sentiment of the defensive captain.

“We’re going to bounce back,” cornerback Tarell Brown said. “At the end of the day it’s just one game. We have to digest it. We have to learn from it and get better.”

The 49ers goal – winning the NFC West – hasn’t changed, and the team is quite familiar with how things can evolve after Week 1. Last season, they traveled to Arizona and pulled off a 20-16 win in the season opener. It didn’t guarantee a division title by any means.

With 15 games left on the schedule the 49ers know there’s still plenty of time to make their mark in the division.

“We have a lot more great football ahead of us,” Brown continued. “All we have to do is stick together and play as one. The rest of it will take care of itself. We know Seattle beat us. We have no excuses, but at the end of the day, we know we can definitely play a lot better football.”

Mike Singletary described the loss as the perfect medicine, players like Brown agreed.

The humbling loss might be a lesson in disguise.

“Adversity, you have to experience it, and the good in this is that we experienced it early,” Brown said. “Let’s knock it out of the way now, learn from it now, so we don’t have to digest this pill again.”

Notes and Quotes

Singletary called for a team meeting once the team plane touched down in the Bay Area Sunday night. The gathering was important to Singletary because it allowed him to reiterate some of the messages he shared with the team after the game. “I wanted to make sure that guys understood exactly what I meant of the things that I said after the game and to make sure that one of the most important things is that we stay together, as coaches and players.”

Tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati were the first pair of rookie linemen to start for the 49ers since 1958, and the fourth rookie duo to do so. Singletary said he was pleased with the initial performance.  “I think they held their own pretty well… It will serve them very well going forward.”

Alex Smith’s difficulties in getting play calls relayed to him might result in offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye leaving the press box to call plays from the sideline. On Sunday, just as the case was in all preseason games, Raye sent the plays to quarterback coach Mike Johnson on the 49ers sideline, who then relayed the plays to Smith via walkie-talkie. Taking Johnson out of the communication path might be an option. “Jimmy is going to remain the play caller,” Singletary said. “That’s what he’s here for. But whether or not he is in the booth or on the field, we’re going to figure it out. But the fact that he could be on the field, that’s a real possibility.”

Smith said he was frustrated with the team’s performance on Sunday. What made it more perplexing was how it seemed to happen after the 49ers picked up seven first downs in the first quarter alone. “We got away from our game plan, didn’t execute and didn’t seem to do much of anything in the second half. At least in the first we moved the ball – that was the frustrating part for me.”

Smith felt the 32-yard interception return for a touchdown by Seahawks cornerback Marcus Trufant on the 49ers first second half possession was the biggest game-changer of all. “Third-and-six, we were running some underneath routes, they were playing a cover-2 and I really thought we were going to make the completion,” Smith said. “I was trying to hit (Michael Crabtree) before he got out to the corner, his head wasn’t around and the ball got up on me. At that point it was very much a game, it went to 21-6 and it was absolutely a game-changer.”

Asked if his team is losing confidence, Singletary said flat-out, “No.”

“When you talk about confidence, I don’t think all of the sudden, oh man, we’re not any good… I feel we’re going to be a very good football team.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 143 Comments »

143 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Sept. 13”

1. By richj on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Niners inability to run the ball hurt us throughout the first half, and 3rd quarter. I dont know what the problem with our running game is, scheme? poor execution? soft o-lineman? I know its not Frank Gore. Alex Smith played geat at first, and i tend to believe him when he says “we got away from our gameplan” Crabtree killed us.

2. By Mistereed on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Lack of a running game was due to Seattle’s insider knowledge. Their linemen had a scheme of slanting the gaps that caused gore to have to re direct a lot. It’s the 1st game of the year, I wouldn’t be so concerned just yet. Let’s see how they all adjust, that will answer a lot of questions.

3. By YulDJr on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I really think coach Sing needs to lay the 85 Bears offense to rest and spread the offense out. We have a whole bunch of weapons and we need to use them. If we want to go to the playoffs we have to score at least 24 a game. I have faith that our defense wont give up the points that easy

4. By Hoover on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Richj. Smith was very accurate early. Dropped passes and coming from behind can make things look worse than they are. I hope Alex has some success soon so he can build some momentum. Bring on the Saints!

5. By Johne Baker on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Metaphorically speaking…Monday Nite’s game with the Saints will tell us where the niners are really at. To come back from a “poor performance” and to look good on a “national scene” would say great things for the niner’s and their faithful. If not now than when…show us what you got niners! PS where is “Westbook & Dixon” like out of the backfield on a swing pass or somethin??! Lets go 49er’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By redsonia49 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The niners were controlling the tempo the first quarter and half, then the interception turned the momentum to the seahawks. I was surprised that the running game never got off, but neither did the passing game. Underthrowing and overthrowing receivers won’t put points on the board. I am glad it was only the first game, hopefully the first game jitters and it won’t carry on past last sunday. I believe in the niners and I have since I was 10 years old. There are always going to be hard times in the game, and things aren’t always going to go our way, but the past is the past. You can’t change the past, just move forward and kick butt niners. I believe in all the players and staff, and there are countless other niner fans that feel the same. Go get em guys!

7. By tony on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

If niners Defense did not stop Seattle offense, what will happen with New Orleans? This team offense is good. Also, Niners need a good Game Plan. They can’t just keep giving the Ball to Gore. They need the other RB involve, Dixon and Westbrook.
    The other teams had been focusing with Gore. and besides niners has no future with QB Smith. need to release him asap. they don’t need to wait for another 5 years.
    GOOD LUCK TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. By graff on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Why the heck would we care about jimmy raye having to leave the press box to ensure alex gets the plays..why isnt he on the field in the first place….. just crazy.. cant believe that we lost.. but by that much is even more pathetic.. what is going wrong.. my gosh its pathetic.. same old crap… i think alex is the quarterback to have, i just think the coaching sucks.. the playcalling sucks.. and it hasnt changed.. its pathetic.. i mean i feel if i was coaching the other night i could have ensured a win.. just pathetic.. 49ers playcalling is so predictable. Its easy to fix and we have the guys to go its the dang coaching.. i mean even the sports analyst know we have the goods. and we cant score a single touchdown.. and another thing… why didnt vernon davis and crabtree play in preseason… i mean the whole preseason.?? theyre so important that they cant get hurt before the season starts??? i heard they both had minor injuries in preseason but the whole preseason? I could change it all tomorrow just like alot of the fans can… get a different o-coordinator and possibly a coach… i think singletary is good but he’s not taking care of the situation.. get the job done or atleast make it a game my gosh…. i cant believe how this turned out.. so much hype and they go out and do that.. just go out and get the job done.. quit being pathetic

9. By palco on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

If you thought this beating was bad wait till next week. The coaching staff including the head coach, should be as embarrassed as many of the [players must feel. The main problem with this team is QB, for five years its the same 3 and out, o red zone points. I read a comment about the receivers must do a better job ? when a five yard pass is thrown like a rocket to the defender side of the receiver, don’t tell me about the receiver, when another no touch ball is thrown again to the defender side on a post route…don’t tell me about the receiver, and when a QB is in the red zone and NOT under pressure still throws to a receiver in double coverage while another receiver is all alone in the other corner…don’t tell me about the receivers. Play calling in the red zone is another whole novel.

10. By fivedecadefan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I’m just tired of seeing that look on Alex Smith’s face after he screwed up again. We all know the one I’m talking about.

When is it time to admit a mistake was made with Alex Smith and move on? I had high hopes for this year. If we can’t beat a team that has been tipped upside down from the front office to the guys on the field who can we beat?

The Saints. Lesson two comes next Monday. What I thought was going to be a close game, with the Niners eeking out a victory, will be a slaughter. Instead of a win that would boost confidence we’ll get more mediocrity at best from Smith and Co.

Crabtree needs to learn he ain’t nothing special and quit acting like he is. Get to work and make a contribution instead of dogging it all preseason when he should be working with his team. I used to be a big fan of his, now I wish we’d just trade him while we can still get a number 5 pick for him.

Based on what I saw yesterday the Saints are going to hand out lesson 2 for this year. We’ll be thanking them next.

11. By niner die hard on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Yes I love mike sing butt we do hav 2 open the playbook up a little what is the use of havn talented players if we don’t use them. We are a 2 predictable. Once again I know its just one game but based on alex’s career he is not the one. He is very smart would make a good coach but lacks the skill 2 improvise. Its sad 2 cuz he has the size and speed but when he scrambles he always makes the smart choice. Nothing is wrong with the right descion BUT checkn down 2 gore and thrown it away dosent always move the ball. At times u hav 2 say f#$% it when they blitz and u hav 1 on 1 coverage and trust that the reciver will go up n get it. It takes balls, and guts 2 throw it up like that and alex is just 2 conservitive. We will get by again this year with are d and help from a week confrence.lets get it done……….niner nation stand up. Mondaynite is when we show everybody who we are!!!!

12. By Antwan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I recorded the game and then watched it again today. And after watching it again I found that Alex Smith using the communication excuse is garbage. There were several plays in that game where Smith would not go through his progressions and stare down recievers not to mention over throwing passes when he did have someone open. To me it also seems like he is not trying to read the defense when he comes to the line and make adjustments either. The whole country will be watching next monday night vs the saints so he better step it up and stop making excuses.

13. By 49ersRR on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

the 49ers have 3 very talented running backs on the roster. they shouldn’t wait for frank gore to get hurt to finally let them play.
    rotating the running backs would keep defenses on their toes and keep each running back fresh.

14. By Steveo on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Niners, man that broke my spirit watching that game, the only thing I have to say is how long are we gonna be giving chances to people that hasn’t panned out yet. (Smith). I like the way the rookie (3rd string QB) performed in preseason, gore my dog, but we have to utilize westbrook also!!!

15. By Doug on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Alex has been throwing the football since he was a kid. He doesn’t need any more “practice”. Anyone who thinks his inaccuracy can be “fixed” is delusional.

16. By Ralph on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Its not smiths or gores’ fault i think it was the 12th man had the biggest part on offense and D …crabtree missin preseason was not on the right page as smith and needs to catch the ball first then turn up the field…but i know tary gave the team a mouthfull and get them ready for monday night

17. By richj on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Smith threw the ball up to Morgan, a good pass, and catch…just got unlucky coming down. The reeason alex didnt look good as the game went on is because we have no running game to make defenses play us honest. Yes, the second int was Smiths fault…a bad pass…but sometimes qbs throw a bad ball. We need to call better, more imaginative plays. We need to start utilizing everyones talents, not just Gore. oh, and to the alex haters…he threw two td passes that game that his RECIEVERS didnt come down with.

18. By Rick on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I am very excited for Monday Night. We can do it guys I have been a faithful fan all my life. I know we are going to have a good year. I love your attitude guys that is exactly what TEAM CAPTINS are for. You guys are leaders its a team effort. Alex keep your chin up man.

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    NINERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

19. By farnsi9er on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Obviously the run game wasn’t working. I don’t think it helped that Alex never really took any shots downfield – use the passing game to set up the run game. How many passes were more than 10 yards downfield? Not enough. Speeding up the tempo of the game in situations where the crowd noise on the road is an issue, would help. There is no need for a hurry-up, no huddle offense. But upping the tempo would certainly help.

20. By Amin on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Smith looked ok at first but it went downhill from there. Listen, I’m not trying to hate on ASmith but all we heard in the offseason was how he was going to be better n they went as far as making him a captain? For the niners to invest so much on him n he comes out and lays an egg – that says a lot about him. He is not a leader. I hope he actually does better n if he does we will make the playoffs. But it is obvious we will not win a championship with him at QB. I have not been this excited about the niners in over 15 years n it felt like someone had ripped my heart out. I know is just one game but wow no pride…

21. By SF49ersGiants10 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I’m not giving in to the “if you think this weeks beating was hard wait until next week” stuff, i have a pretty good feeling that they can beat the Saints next week. The 2 interceptions were not Alex Smith’s fault. They were both caused by Crabtree who didn’t play during the preseason, and the had a week to two weeks of not playing before this week, it was just mistakes in the red zone and if they improve and fix those problems during practice this week, I think that they have a very good chance of winning next week and continuing to win throughout the season.

22. By adam on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

poor coaching u cant go for it on every 4th down, to much to risk ( like momentum ) morgan is in his 3rd year he should know how to get his feet down. crabtree, just plain terriable. i believe we can win on monday, but it can just well go 1-3 to start the year, it is a .long season lets right the ship and get going. 49ers2010champs!!

23. By Smuman on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Smith, Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan…they are who we they they were, and we should let smith go…enough is enough is enough is enough. Free agency, trade for picks, do something to get a better QB. Because there is NO WAY IN H E L L Alex Smith will be the second coming of Joe Montana. And isn’t that what every 49er fan hopes for? Honestly? Not to mention the second coming of Jerry Rice? And Crabtree clearly isn’t the answer for that one either.

24. By ray hansen on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

am i the only one that saw a run up the gut on every third and long. they need to put the playcaller back in the booth, just facing the other direction…this is the same as last year…get someone who knows a different play than an up the middle play. u got speed, use it……

25. By DG on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Jimmy Raye Please!! I hope you script plays, cause if yr thinkin on the fly it’s not working. Alex is a little slow still and you not getting it there fast enough is no help. Please have help on the right when he gets flushed, that pass ob and throw aways to nobody is so weak. How about some play action, we’re supposed to have a good running game, but always running on 1st and 2nd ending up with 3rd and long it is about the same as last year. Cut them loose let them play.

26. By palco on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Rich, no one is a Smith hater, he is just not a NFL quarterback, the interception on the pass to crabtree was thrown to the defender side, and Crabtree was only about 7 yards in front of him and Smith threw it like he was 60 yards away, that’s why the pass sailed off of Crabtrees shoulder. Smith has never shown the ability to put touch on a pass, and when a rush comes he still looks like the “Deer in the Headlights” quarterback he looked like in his rookie season.

27. By palco on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Coach better grab N. Davis off the practice squad before its to late, he may be raw, but shows more natural instinctive skills at QB, than anyone else on the roster, and I agree they should trade Smith now and get it over with.

28. By Don on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Coach it’s all on you too many variables caused your disaster in Seattle. Play your best players and make them earn their time. LT Simms let rookie earn his time. Crabtree sit him and have him watch Jerry Rice videos and learn what character means. It takes more than skill you need players with “heart” QB Play the best person that gives you a chance to win. You are looking at being 0-4 if you do not change direction.

29. By East Coast Niner on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

You guys sound like a bunch of complaining babies. In coach Sings first full year as head coach the Niners finished with the best record they’ve had in seven years. The Niners stunk under Dennis Erickson, they stunk under Mike Nolan, they stunk with Mike Martz, they stunk with Norv Turner. In one season Sing and Jimmy brought them back to five hundred, wheres the credit “Niner fans”? And I use the term Niner fans loosely. Some of you just sound like Niner haters. All those past coaches had lots of coaching experience and couldn’t do sh#%. This was ONE GAME!!!!! All the home teams won in week 1 except for three. I think the Niners got a little over confident and suffered a agonizing wake up call. It happens, its over, and they will play better mark my words doubters.

30. By Marquis on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

49er Faithful lets stop beating up Alex. Gore only ran for 38 yards. Yes, while the organization told us all off season that Alex is the guy we saw first hand they still use the Gore formula. Norris is only on the team because Gore wanted him back. Coach still can’t manage the game and Raye has not called a solid game yet. Too many subs on one drive We have to start Gore,Davis,Walker,Crabtree&Morgan to use our mismacthes. No D can stop Davis or Walker who can play TE/WR/FB/RB. With that group on the field you can run the entire playbook (i-formation to 5 wide spread) with them. We should start the game with the hurry up O, to change the tempo. Raye has to call better pass plays too much traffic(too many recievers in the same spot). Ginn can’t help our O he only go deep and Alex can’t hit him. So we need to spread the field horizontally(more deep inns & outs,crossing,drags,slants) Our recievers have to run better routs. On D we need to move Goldson to SS & start Mays @ FS to get more speed in the secondary

31. By UpLateAgain on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Put simply, Smith has a good arm, a good head for the game, and a great attitude toward the team and the team’s goals. But he lacks poise… and I don’t think you can teach that.

32. By 49erfaithful on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

This team will only go as far as our running game takes us once we establish that it opens up our passing game and gives our recievers a chance with two pro bowl running backs and a good rookie great young recievers one of if not the best tightends in the league a talented QB and a GREAT D lead by the best linebacker in the game this team has no excuse not to give the saints a run for there money and the rest of the league

33. By richj on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

i like the idea of the hurry up offense…we do have the players to run a lot of different packages. Hopefully we come up with a solid gameplan for new orleans, that would be a huge win

34. By FelixE on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The problem with this team is obvious, take a look at past winning Niner teams. What did they have that this team doesn’t? Easy a great QB. We’ve tried to give Smith mean chances but it’s time let him go! Give Carr a chance, you never know, he may do good with a line that can protect him. As for Sunday against the Seahawks, Gore didn’t have a good game but you can’t have a good running game without some kind of passing game to assist. As for the poor excuse about the play calling from the booth, a good QB should be able to read the defense and change the plays at the line it’s called an “audible”. Come on Niners, as one of your loyal fans I’m tried of seeing the same old thing with Smith, which is losing! No matter what, your always my team but listen to the fans release Smith its time to move on. Go Niners!!!!!

35. By diana on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

i dont know what happend this week but i hope it dosent happen nomore i had so much high expectation for my team and they let me down. something tells me the same is going happend monday night but i know that are team is capable of beating the saint is all about playing smart fooball and each player be at 100 percent and everything will work itself ou..come on niner

36. By Gordo Fujioka on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Smith has to go. He shows hardly any improvement year after year. He appears to be rather clumsy in his movements, seems to lack the football field of vision on obvious passing plays, and appears rather dazed & confused when the going gets rough. He should be on the practice squad instead of N. Davis. Start Carr & Davis as backup.

37. By East Coast Niner on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

And as for Alex Smith…well the guy who made the decision to select him is coaching in Green Bay with Rogers he set the Niners up to fail. Yeah its true that after Smiths rookie season he spent most of the next two years injured and never had the same play book for more than one year so to me he is still a question mark. But he didn’t play that bad last season he beat the NFC champs by throwing touchdowns that were accurate.And he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. So I would’n’t trade him after one game, but don’t worry if he dose not play better soon he wont be around long and he knows it.

38. By exzilesgreed on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

clearly we have struggled with a replacement for the vacant qb position…all i can say about that is by alex its time you go.but i haven’t heard anyone speak on the fact that shawnte spencer got spanked all game. he has proven to be a liabilty as well as michael lewis. there are three positions where we have to improve. all preseason we hear taylor mays is coming along well but he sits. the man is an asset on the defence if not now when? sing is a well spoken coach and he gets me pumped hearing him speak. but just look at his posture and hear how he stumbles on his answers at the last press conference. we are at an impass folks we need an offensive general to help along our ailing and young line. where is the fire where is the mayhem. I know i feel it supporting this franchise and seeing little return….Game time men!!!!!!!!!! New Orleans is no cake walk, the stage is huge, & the pressure is on….49er fan for life.

39. By ChillyNinerWilly on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

HEY NINER NATION I WAS JUST THINKING IF ARE BOYS WERE HAVING SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH GETTING CALLS TO ALEX. HMMMM WHY DOESN’T JIMMY RAYE TRY TO SCRIPT LIKE THE FIRST 15 OR SO PLAYS LIKE ARE BOY WALSH DID WITH MONTANA…THAT WAY WE DON’T HAVE ANYMORE DAMN PROBLEMS WITH PLAY CALLING AND USING ALL OUR TIME OUTS!!…..JUST A THOUGHT….. DOESN’T JIMMY RAYE REMIND YOU OF BILL COSBY?

K IM OUT…..GONNA GO EAT ME SOME JELLO!

SEE YOU ALL ON MONDAY NITE…WITH A RED & GOLD ATTITUDE!!!

40. By Brian boogie on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I am praying for Alex to get traded. One excuse after another. He alway got a reason for his failure.
    We are going to lose our young talent because of him.

41. By hardcore9er on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

memo to niner coaches and players. being picked to win the division means nothing. you have to go out and earn it. as you found out sunday, your opponents are bringing everything they’ve got to the party every time. even as a long time faithful niner fan through good times and bad, i have to say that sunday was painful and disgusting to watch, even downright sickening. the defense was bad (with the exception of willis of course). the offense performed markedly worse than the defense. and if it’s possible, the coaching staff performed even more poorly than the team. just like pre-season, the starters only played one quarter. some of them didn’t seem to make much of an effort to play at all. after sunday’s performance, some folks in this organization need to feel very guilty when they get that next big paycheck. smith is not the answer at qb. singletary is not the answer at coach. raye is definitely not the answer as oc. i frimly believe that the niners can be everything that us hardcore fans want them to be, but not without some changes. being fans should not make us blind to the glaring problems we saw against the seahawks. i expect better from the team i’ve loved for so many years. i’m not gonna sugar coat it like some folks. sunday was an absolute TRAIN WRECK in all facets of the game. please, please, please let’s fix this before another season is wasted. i sincerely hope that sunday was the exception for this year rather than the rule. we are “supposed to” win the west. let’s make it happen. against the saints, i wanna see something positive, something that will lead me to believe there’s some hope for my team. i want a win, but i’d be happy if we just show up and compete. we sure didn’t sunday. rant over.

42. By 49ways2die on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

now im a die hard niners fan.have been since the montana vs marino superbowl.but im also a realist and whats real to me is that these guys arent takin anything sing say seriously come gameday.oh they scared throughout the week at practice but its all gone come game time.what sing need to do is immediatly pull anybody that effs up monday night embariss them on the sideline on national tv in front of the world.hey it worked on vd and now he is sings watch dog.and open up that d@%n playbook im tired of gore up the middle gore up the middle so predictable.and get out that d@%n zone and blitz more

43. By mty9rfn on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

We need a winner at QB! Stats mean nothing if you don’t win! I’d take a QB who goes 7-18 with 3 tds, scrambles when he needs to and wins, than one who goes 17-18 and loses! We need a QB who exudes confidence, and makes plays, especially when it counts. Alex is not that QB. Skills only go so far. A winner QB posesses those certain instincts, charisma and skills that Alex has, but at a much higher and consistent level. By this time it should be flowing freely out of Alex, if he truly has it. Too bad we didn’t get Jeff Garcia 3-4 years ago. Not only could he have done better than any QB we’ve over that same time period, but also could have been the perfect mentor for a now banished Nate Davis. Both of whom had similar styles of play.

44. By uchoosin on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

dont worry niner fans..we will be ok…niners wasnt really up for that game . the seattle seahawks are a crap team as u will see as the season progress. they just caught that buster douglas syndrome. (lol) anyways it still dont give them an excuse to play so poorly…learn from it , move on , and know that every game is important…bring on the saints!!!

45. By Cru Jones on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe all of the negativity on here…a week ago everyone can’t wait for the season, jacked up that the niners may finally make some noise, and after the FIRST GAME some people are already packing it in, calling out Sing, giving up on Smith, saying we have no running game, this is absurd. We lost a game, so what? It’s disappointing, it’s very disappointing but don’t start hating and pointing the finger in all directions…the colts gave up 230 yds to an undrafted rb and lost, the chargers, the vikings, jets, bengals, eagles, cowboys were all playoff teams last year and they lost. Does that mean they will all miss the playoffs? NO…IT’S ONE GAME. Were there many mistakes? Yes, but all teams have bad games…have a little faith, because if we don’t then what kind of fans are we? We need to believe, especially when the going gets tough. We don’t need to waste time with such negative statements, let it ride out, let’s see what happens against the Saints, then we will have more of a gauge of what this teams can and cannot do. If we get blown out again well at least it was to the best offense in the nfl and the defending SB champs…It is not time to hit panic yet, wait a few weeks, just remember what the titans did last year, they started 0-6 and went on a run that almost brought them to the playoffs…Even at the risk of sounding cliche I will say that anything is possible on any given Sunday. GO NINERS!

46. By Paul on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

We shouldn’t be worried!!! They were to arrogant! We all were!! Now, they will pick it up and play hard on MNF. They always play hard on the national scene. They will beat the Saints!

47. By 247 soldier on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

bring on the saints?come on hoover you must be kidding me.im a niner fan and even i dont want to see the saints,not yet anyways.i think its time for a little dixon a little change of pace.

48. By Jason on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’ve made excuses and tried to back Alex year after year. Cant do it anymore. The man is flat out not a winner. I have ZERO confidence in his abillity to handle adversity without completely crumbling. If the ship doesn’t right itself they have to go to Carr sooner rather than later. Alex not looking at the floor during interviews doesnt mean he has turned the corner.

49. By fivedecadefan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’d post a comment. Why waste my time. If you speak the truth your comment is censored like my last one did. There are other outlets for the truth.

Great game in Seattle guys. It showed what you are made of. Nice to se some things never change, Alex. Bring on the Saints.

50. By kevin on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

What we need is a leader! If you talk with players on other top teams or 49ers that played with Montana and Young. They will all tell you when the chips were down and Joe, Steve however came to the hutel you could feel the energy, you new with this guy you were going to win, and you usaully did it was like he could will use to win! He may not be the fastest or have the biggest arm, but he’s a leader with heart and the team will rally around him.
    So, sorry Alex you just don’t fit the bill, good luck somewere else. Niners we need to make that move now not later, how much more can we do for Alex? Okay if he goes under 500 goodbye?

GO NINERS

51. By kevin on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

What about Micheal Vick?? He’s still the number two guy over there; and after this week you know he’s not going to want to set on the bench, lets make him our number one guy for the year and see what happens.
    What do we have to loose,nothing, Alex?

Go Niners

52. By win4now on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been as patient as a fan with Alex S. as anybody. The last few games last year; what I saw is he is inaccurate too often. I wanted a freeagent qb for this season (Dereck Anderson)! Arizona is 1-0 us 0-1! Prove me wrong niners!

53. By Sonic98 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I would not say that Gore is 100% free of blame for the bad running game. The OL should have had more push, but he did seem a little rusty and slow to get off, but we just gotta do better all-around.

54. By the shmuck on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Our secondary got worked by a terrible receiving core, and our captain QB s*it the bed once again. Looks like another long season of squeaking out wins and crushing defeats because our team refuses to accept that where we need help is the QB position, there’s a reason 49er glory days happened because we had HOF quarterbacks not Alex Smith, who after excuse after excuse simply can not get the job done in the NFL. I hope I’m wrong but I think the niners hit a dead end with him as quarterback.

55. By ninaz4real on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

A very disapointing loss to a team we should have destroyed, but a good time for a reality check. I think the niners may have been a little over confident going in to this one, maybe hearing about how we should win the west over and over again got to their heads. The offense looked overmatched, and the play calling could have been better. There were some bright spots, but Alex Smith has to execute on those short and medium range passes, and the recievers have got to get it together. The O-line didn’t look great, but they will be ok, given a couple games to really gel. Defense didn’t do too bad when you look at the stats, our corners need to be more patient and not bite so hard on the double moves. Nate Clements should know better, he’s a vet, you don’t expect him to get killed like that. Other than those 2 big plays though the D was pretty solid. I look for Coach to get on these boys hard this week and have them ready to go against a very good Saints team on monday night. GO NINERS!!!

56. By Home Delivery on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Every organization I have worked for takes on the personality and character of the ownership or top management. Watch Singletary on the sidelines- he did this yesterday when Smith overthrew Norris for a sure touchdown. As Smith reached the sidelines, Singletary barked at him. Smith, being a normal person, knew he blew the play and did not want to hear it from Singletary. From that point on, Singeltary assumed his customary” arms cross his chest pout” and as usual Singletary’s response was to shut down and grow increasingly distant. Once again, I shook my head saying this game is lost.

I could go on about the poor game planning, poor preparation, and execution, but other posters cover that well. For me leadership is the primary issue with the 49ers. Odd how the only area the 49ers did well in this week was special teams.

Special teams were particularly weak last year. The primary reason why special teams performed well in the preseason and for the Seahawks game is a direct reflection on the special teams coach. New special teams coach, Kurt Schottenheimer, has over thirty years of coaching experience. He also has an excellent pedigree when it comes to football.

The Schottenheimer name is synonymous with winning football. Jed York should be looking in Schottenheimer’s direction for the near term head coaching job. I would think the taxpayers in Santa Clara might take an active interest in this issue as well in order to protect their new revenue stream.

Pride and poise? Not this head coach not this team.

57. By ernest on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

i dont know what happend out there. it hurt all of us 49ers fan to see a loss like that. i dont know what to say right now but fix it. we need a win. we have to win on monday night. lets prove the world that were a better team. that we can make it. lets shock them..

58. By Longshot on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I think that a lot of Pete Carroll’s gameplan worked off of the fact that he signed almost every player that we cut this season. It’s like he was trying to get a step up on us and it seemed to work this week. He picked up Michael Robinson who knows the offense really well. He signed Jeff Ulbrich as an assistant trainer who has a great understanding of our defense and tendencies. Scott McCloughan who maybe wouldn’t have as much of an impact on gameplanning but still knows the coaching staff. Kentwan Balmer who played for a year under our scheme and knows our players extremely well. Pete had a little bit of insight into our offensive and defensive schemes which gave them a little bit of an advantage. It doesn’t mean our guys couldn’t have executed. I was sick to my stomach when Smith missed Moran Norris for that easy touchdown. Sometimes the simpliest throws are the hardest.

59. By Gruff on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Time to bring the noise on Monday night Niner Faithful. Our team needs there 12th man. Don’t give up on this team after week 1. Lets go niners

60. By Luis García on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

We need a QB that is leading to motivate the offense, five years have passed and Smith does not have what it takes to be a great QB, you need to play with passion

61. By dr. dave on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

thanks alot for kicking our butts———-oh anytime–what the hell is that—the team should be ashamed of that performance–who on 4th and one for a touchdown calls a timeout and gets a delay of game ,no even pop warner does that

62. By joe on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

DANG…. SPECIAL TEAMS WHERE ARE YOU?? DEFENCE SECONDARY WHAT THE …. OFFENCE LINE JUST WATCH THE GAME… AND SMITH GETS FLUS-TERD,,,, YOU GUYS PICKED THE WRONG Q.B.

63. By dwayne on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

alex smilth did good check out other qb stats we are not running the offence the way it sould be run with the guys we have and its sad jimmy raye is a good guy but he he too old in his way of thinking

64. By J.R. Garcia on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

A lot of people don’t realize Pete Carroll purposely beefed up the Seattle D-line to match up against our scheme and that is a run first team. Pete knows winning the division is first and the way to compete vs us is to stop our run. Seattle runs a basic 4-3 D. If you look up their starting D-line you will see they start 3 DT weighing 320+ lbs each with 1 DE. I noticed during the game our O-line couldn’t get any push on them. During 3rd & long’s Seattle would sub out that 3rd DT and put in a speed pass rusher on the end when they knew we had to pass. Early in the game when we were passing on 1st & 2nd downs I noticed Seattle had no pass rush when running with those 3 DT, once we fell far behind that 3rd DT never came back and they ran with 2 speed DE’s. It was a reality check for us, a lot of fans including myself felt this was going to be a walk in the park. Nothing better to fuel us against the Super Bowl Champs. Good luck next week Niners on MNF!!!

65. By Basko on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

get rid of alex smith he is any BUT a leader!

66. By Basko on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

whats the use of picking up westbrook if we’re not gonna use him? and Dixion big strong and fast! i love gore but i think we need to mix it up and keep defences guessing.

67. By Since1994 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m sick of looking at you so called Niner fans bash such a talented team. You have absolutely no clue what it takes to be a player nor a coach in the NFL. You have no loyalty, faith, or confidence in these guys. As a fan you’re supposed to show support not tear down your team. Win or lose. It’s only 1 game you idiots! Whether you win or lose everyone always seems to overreact to the first week. It’s only the first week. Get a grip! You’re not out there playing and you couldn’t if you tried, so shut the hell up! If you’re only going to be a fair weather fan don’t be a fan at all. Every team goes through adversity. There’s no perfect team without any problems. You’re not perfect you screw up. And when you do all you want is for your love ones to show support. Stop being so judgemental! Calm down and take each game one step at a time. GO NINERS!

68. By pablo on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

i don´t knok what to think about niners after this horrible game…but what i really think that the niners need is a lot of BALLS AND HEART!!!!…thats what they don´t showed us…and i really believe that this monday night is the begining of a new era….it´s now or never for Alex smith. Mike Sinlgetary and Jimmy Raye…..and plaease if Aelx doesn.t work ge in Carr, and if Gore doesn,t word get in Dixon, dont be afraid and don´t sacrifice team for players.

69. By Montana Epstein on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

C’mon 49ers, you are better than this! Nate Clements and Brown need to seriously wake up and clam down. Don’t bite the pump fake and stay consistent in your coverage. Clements you better man! We fans are counting on you guys this season, I have been distant these past few years but with all the hype I really would hate to be let down again. You guys will always be my team, I hope to see some improvement come Monday.

70. By 49 Kelso on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

The Niners invented the “WEST COAST OFENSE” Why don’t they start using it? The 5 yrd slants? That is as far as Alex Smith could throw anyways!!!!!!!! Aron Rodgers should have ben our draft pick!!!!!!!!

71. By erbieball on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I agree with a lot of the people here, smith is good and hes good enough to start for the niners but our success has come from running the ball. Instead of letting smith throw the ball as much as he has, bring it back some and run it down their throughts, that is when the other weapons will come into play ( davis and crabtree)

72. By basko saucealini on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

im over alex smith. finally you get the same playbook as last year and you still can’t do it. i dont think that he is starting material. what about N.davis or Carr! another thing that gets me is…what good is picking up westbrook if he aint gonna play! anthony dixion big and strong and fast! i love frank gore but lets switch it up and keep defences guessing…. “Crabtree” hahahaha come on man! you aint no jerry rice you couldn’t live in jerryz shadow’s shadow. Jerrys got work ethic and understanding what it means to be a team…. crabtree needs to get off his hi-horse…. i hope he steps it up and conducts him self with a little more class on and OFF the feild. “You should be gratefull to be a NINER! not the outher way around!
    gooooooo NINEEEEEERRRRRRRRS!!!!!!!!!!!!

73. By 9erFaithful on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Coach, what about every position being up for competition? What about Carr’s practice mattering in regards to his playing time? What about Dixon and Westbrook having a good preseason? What about Alex on FOURTH AND ONE overthrowing a ten yen yard pass by ten yards!!!!!
    …and to everyone out there who says it’s just one game NO, IT IS NOT JUST ONE GAME!!! If the Seahawks had the same record as us they would be ahead because they beat us!!!! THEY ARE IN OUR DIVISION, one DIVISION loss equals TWO WINS>>>>PERIOD!!! SO NO IT IS NOT JUST ONE GAME.

Home Delivery, you are right on, except with one thing the pouty attitude that Singletary has came from Smith!!! Smith is a horrible leader who yes, get’s distant and puts on the sideline when things don’t go his way, now Singletary is doing the same.

Carr is a great leader and a good QB…. PUT HIM IN, PUT DIXON IN, DON”T WAIT!!!

74. By MarioJ on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

been a fan for a long time just as you guys, even harder down here in L.A area. Anyway, need to know if you guys agree. Smith and Ray are our problems. Alex is not what we need. He has always thrown a high ball. Always!!! As for Jimmy Ray, off. coord., just lacks creativity in the play calling. When he does get on a roll, he falls right back into the same ol same ol. Example of the high pass. Fourth down, open guy, over throws. Interceptions. Look at how many times our receivers have to make the catch with vulnerability.
    Sorry guys, if Ray doesn’t start sending in better plays, and Alex continues to throw the high and off ball, we are in for a long season.
    Let me take it back one. If Singletary allows this to continue and does not replace Alex Smith’s lack of production with new blood or a chance, then it will be a long season.
    Hope not. I was hoping to win our division. However, our only weakness’s are those 2 items. We have everything else. Everything.

75. By MarioJ on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Also agree with you others regarding the other running backs. Dixion lit it up in preseason. I’m sure he can do it in the regular season, and if you’re loosing badly already, try him then. Ray didn’t do any of this and Singletary didn’t make it happen.
    How long have we heard, “it’s a business” when the players are asking for more money. Sorry players, not performing, get somebody who will, can or is. It’s just business!!! That’s what our coach needs to do. Our leader, our captain, the man in charge, Mike Singletary.
    Monday night, we should see Dixon, Westbrook, and if Smith ain’t cuttin it again, Carr, or Troy…..Smith that is. Gore can run, we just can’t be running the same plays over and over.

76. By Safetyman on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

You always go for points. To go for it on 4th down in the first qtr. feels great but you need points. You dont give the other team that kind of morale booster when you are in total control of the game. Also I agree Dixon needs to play on short yardage situations he moves people Gore dosent. I am nervous now the saints are a real good team and Breese is the real deal. Singletary is a great motivator not a great manager, we need a great manager to bring out the best in alot of great players.

77. By ben hernandez on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Why did we not use Dixon on the goal line?Why did we not use Walker and
    Davis at tightend on the goal line to throw to.Brady does it all the time with his tight ends!We are not who we thought we were on offense.We are not who we thought we were on defense.The Seahawks are not who we thought they were on offense and also on defense.Practice makes perfect.Davis,Gore,Grabtree,etc.did not play during preseason.They are not in football shape.They are not insync with our qb.T.Mays should be starting in our secondery.Clements has given too many big plays since last year.He has
    lost more than a step

78. By Ronnie on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Just me or something crazy when a player one day signs a huge contract with huge amounts of guaranteed cash and next day walks onto field in solidarity against the guy who signed his fat-cash paycheck the day before? With performance shown in Seattle we might as well start the lockout now and save us humiliation and lots of wasted Sundays.

79. By Sean Sever on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe we still have Alex Smith as our quarterback. He is simply awful. He is unaccurate. He panics and runs to the right. He doesn’t make decisions fast enough. You name it. Other teams would have sent him down the road long ago. Look at what the Cardinals did with Leinart! It is such a shame because we have such a good team otherwise. Alex should do everyone a favor and retire because 49ers management and coaching aren’t going to do anything about him. Bottom line: Can Alex lead a team to the Super Bowl? NO!

80. By redrum on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

What they need to do is get rid of Smith and get a real QB. It’s been to many years that he has not performed. Maybe we should recruit Warner for two years, bring him out of retirement, just a thought.

81. By geofunk on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I am A diehard fan of the Niners and always will be. But seriously we need to change a few things in order to be successful. The preseason gave me so much to look forward to this year. Why sign Westbrook for 1 year, so he can ride the bench? Dixon dominated the preseason, where is he? Crabtree, Davis,Gore no preseason work? It showed at Seattle. Alex looks like a first year rookie out there. I believe his time is done. Singletary no more conservative play, like others have said, air it out. We are loaded with talented receivers make them earn their money. Defense is solid. Offensively we need to mix it up, keep the defense guessing. We have the weapons now is the time to execute. Whatever it takes this is our year lets go baby.

82. By Duane Barkley on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Everyone slow your roll i was the most upset of any 49er fan but we cant have over reaction monday it was one game our offense hasnt played all preseason together. Lets give Alex Smith one more game before i say pull him and we do need to play Dixon and Westbrook more to keep Gore Fresh all year. We need to see them spread the ball out a little more Alex is best in shotgun formation so lets use that a little more. We had two new rookie offense lineman starting its going to take a little bit for that offense to gel. Willis is a stud and that defense will be great so Relax. Singletary is the best coach we have had since since siefert honestly would you want Nolan back. Go niners i have confidence in you and I represent in the heart of the enemy Dallas, Tx Nice game cowgirls at least we didnt look as bad as them

83. By PAniners on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE get alex smith off the field. I realize that the play calling is ridiculously predictable, but his inability to execute even a simple check down is inexcusable at this level. I couldn’t believe they started him this year after the past he’s had. He had one 300 yard game last year against seattle and they lost that game anyway. Other than that, whats the most yardage he’s gained in 5 years? Better yet, whats the most points he’s put on the board? They put up 30 plus points like once last year and I think 21 of those were caused by the defense. The team is exactly the same as last year except they threw in two rookie offensive linemen and expected them to perform magic or something. Smith is still lousy so get ready for another 7-9 season at best. I would rather watch any of the other quarterbacks even if they do lose. I’m tired of watching this guy stink it up.

84. By Top Niner on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Alex is right we did get away from our game plan later in the game (which is common in the NFL when losing by so much) but he needs to admit he played pretty poorly. Maybe he would lose some confidence if he did so. idk. Simply put he needs to play better and the coaching staff needs to have BACK UP PLANS/SCHEMES during the game. That is what great coaching staffs do – – – adjust accordingly throughout the entire game.

Lets play more personnel on offense – like Westbrook, Dixon, Ziegler, and others. I agree that its almost that time to allow Reggie Smith to start and keep Mike Lewis as veteran leader. Both offense and deffense will need to make changes for Saints game because its a given they will play us like Seattle did. Who wouldn’t?

Mike Singletary will and has already rejuvenized the team. Lets see if that energy will be published on the field. I truely believe the game against the Saints will be very close and we will win.

!NINER FOOTBALL, ITS NOTHING LIKE IT!
    GO NINERS!

85. By 808fan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith needs to be released. He hasn’t proved himself at all over the course of his career. The way I see it is that the team has all the potential in the world to do great things and smith is the one piece that’s stopping them from doing so. His career stats says it all. Its great to look good in practice (when u cant get hit) and the preseason. But somethings obviously wrong if he isn’t performing where it matters the most! I’m sure a lot of us 9er fans feel the same way. We cant just sit around and hope that Alex Smith will improve cause obviously he wont. How many more games need to be lost and interceptions does he need to throw in order for them to realize that Smith cannot do it. What we should have done was drafted Aaron Rodgers instead. The Packers are laughing at our BIG mistake. end of story.

86. By Longtimefan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

really disappointed in the game. Same old Alex, staring down the receiver, checks down to quick, no accuracy and his clock is too slooow. He can’t even pickup the pace in a two minute drill. Good backup QB thats it. Give me Nate Davis, at least he tries to move the ball upfield, makes quick decisions , quick release, accurate and strong arm. heck play Carr if you don’t think Nate is ready. Coach Sing, you say you want to win, but won’t pull a guy when he’s not gettin’ it done. And what’s with the Pop Warner play calling? Run,run,pass then run, run, pass. Mix it up, heck my wife knows what play is coming next most of the time. Throw Anthony Dixon in the mix, at least act like you want to win and not just say it. Maybe, Alex should have played more preseason. Yeah, it was preseason- but we won and it wasn’t with Alex. If things don’t change gonna be more delay of games, wasted timeouts and L’s instead of W’s. The seahawks are not that good, and we are not that bad. Still love the team though. GO Niners!
    Tired of listening to coach trying to sell us on Alex.

87. By Matt Merritt on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Lets just be honest. Pro sports is about Rhetoric. The 49ers sold us all on it this season. They went 4-0 in the preseason but their starters went 1-3. Our second and third string beat the opponents second and third string. Our first team got their butts kicked. That’s what I saw again on Sunday. The first string getting beat into the ground.
    Frank Gore admittedly is a quitter. He is not the answer to our abismal running game. We got Westbrooke and Dixon. It’s time to send a message, you quit even once, you don’t play.
    These pro contracts are incentive based. The players want to hold out for money, its time they are held accountable for performing on the field or not playing at all.
    Nate Clements is not a great corner back and is consistantly beat with pump fakes adn go routes.
    I see a trend with Singletary I don’t like. You didn’t see Seifort or Walsh tolerating the likes of Crabtree. Guys played to win. They didn’t quit. Singletary is simly not the answer. He is a great man no doubt. He is a great motivator, but he is not an NFL head coach. He consistantly finds himself 3 minutes into the second quarter and no time outs left.
    Week in and week out he is out coached and out performed. Anyone who thinks the Saints aren’t scoring 45 points by the 3rd quarter is still buying the rhetoric of a mediocre team and abismal coaching staff.
    I think it is time the fans stand up to this premadona attitude professional players are coming to the field with. Simpy stop walk away. There are plenty of college games, youth sports, and mentoring opportunities that need you. The NFL is out of hand on our dollars.

88. By 9ersfan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

you guys wont realize alex smith is no good untill its to late. He throws the ball behind his receivers 80% of the time, he is also bad at the long passes deep down the field, and the reason why seattles slant d-fense worked every time we ran the ball is alex smith’s snap count they knew every time when he was about to snap the ball he needs to be traded and that wont happen because no team in the nfl wants him cause he sucks ……….. come on niners bench him allready and tell our db’s not to go for int all the time pick and choose when is the right time to pick it off or bat it down or hit the receiver to knock it loose

89. By 9ersfan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

stat’s has nothing to do with it buddy alex smith simply can’t put the ball in the endzone point blank he throws behind his receivers never leting them catch and run with the ball and he can’t throw the deep ball and his snap count count is obvious get rid of him is what i say to people who blindly still beleive in this guy

90. By jrparker on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see Vernon Davis utilized as a full back because of his speed to round the corner, to get to his block to open up holes for our running backs, to act as a quick out for Smith as a receiver and because of his ability to break tackles. Then I would like to see Zieglar play in place of Morgan. Morgan is too slow and is three inches shorter then Zieglar.

91. By 49ers4ring6 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

i think the reason that our run game was so ineffective is because jeff ulbrich who was with the niners for a number of years and knew the playbookl as well as anybody is now coaching seattle linebackers. when has seattle ever been able to shut down frank like that?

92. By 49ers4ring6 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

i mean come on man.. honestly.. frank gore is a quitter? dude thats just stupid to even say.. and a trend that u dont like with singletary? look at how he has already changed the team in 2 full seasons of him being the head coach. in pre season alot of our first stringers didnt even play… crabtree didnt.. vernon played very little and frank was in for 2 plays.. thats why its pre season. and ill guarantee u the saints will not score 45 points by the 3rd quarter.. come on bro.. do u even know what ur really talking about? ur obviously not a niner fan…u like the saints or the seahawks? it was week 1 alot of teams lost games they shouldnt have.. look at san diego and kansas city.. for 1 example..

93. By Randy on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I just got done watching the game, AGAIN, on my dvr. My 1st thought: if you don’t put a team away when the opportuniity presents itself, you will get bitten in the @ss!!! 2nd thought: Alex needs to be a lot more accurate!!! 3rd: Why is the play calling SO VANILLA!!!! There’s NO element of surprise w/ the 9ers. Not looking at the stats, Gore seem to be running ok, but the score prevented 9ers from running more in the 2nd half. Seattle had a 10 minute period, 5 min at the end of the 1st half and 5 min at the the beginning of 2nd half, when everything was goin their way. It started w/ the 4th down play, that has to be executed, no exceptions!!! Norris was wide open!!! SO FRUSTRATING! Then the PI penalty on Clements on a 3rd down giving Seattle a new set of downs, leading to the 1st double move by Mike Williams. The corners got fooled twice on double moves and Alex’s 2 INT’s, made it easy for Seattle!!! The 1st INT I could see blaming Crabtree, but if Alex puts the ball iin front him instead of on his back shoulder, it’s an easy 1st down. At the same time Crabtree seemed to try to run before he actually caught the ball. The 2nd INT was a horrible throw by Alex!!! When you give a team a free 21 points in their house, you eliminate any possibility of quieting their crowd. It really SUX that we lost to a division rival, but the good thing is it was only week 1. Now we face the Saints next!!!! DAMN, I really hope we don’t start off 0-2, but if last week was any indication, 0-2 seems inevitable!!!! COME ON 9ERS, pull your heads out of your @sses and show us fans something to be proud of!!!!

94. By 9ersty4Life on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Niners, go with a spread offense, probably a split back set. @ jrparker, are you crazy? do you know the longevity of a full back verses a tight end? The longevity of anyone in the back field? Running backs get what? a minimum of 5 years? NO! I do not want to see Vernon LEAD BLOCKING. As for Clements jumping routes, why do you think Buffalo got rid of him? He is good against the run, just gambles WAY to much on the pass. Did the defensive coordinator give the DB’s free reign? Yes, rotate the backs, keep fresh legs in the game. Cause mismatches, put Westbrook and Dixon in the slots and Gore in the back field. Screw it, go into an I-set formation with all three of them and motion the backfield. How many years was Ditka head coach before the Bears went all the way? The previous dynasty was not built over night, so give these guys a break, they are one of the youngest ball clubs in the league.

95. By oghex on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

love football forever !

96. By EZ49erRider on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I don’t believe the 9ers as a whole (coaching staff included) played to their potential. We are a very good football team and just got a major wake up call. Alex Smith, listen you’re gonna have to get your stuff together brother!! You have an arsenal around you, take some responsibility and make it happen. Otherwise let David Carr come on in, and maybe we ought to think about picking up Mike Vick??????? Letz give these saints Hell baby

97. By Sean Gibson on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

What kind of niners fans are most of you!!!! It’s the first game of 16. Hello yes they didn’t perform as we all expected but that is no reason for half the S@#T talking i’m reading! Be a true fan and support your team the way a REAL fan should. Let’s talk around week 6-8 then you’ll truely know what needs to be done to insure a better squad!!! NINER FAITHFULL FROM BIRTH GOOOOOOO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

98. By Scott C on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Tooo all the 49ers fans that are hatin! Stop the coaches are doing fine alex smith is doing fine he made good throws but the Wr dropped the passes Micheal Crabtree needs to stop hittin the ball in the air so dbs can pick it off. I do agree with people we need to get at least westbrook involved in the offense. we needs to switch up the offense to more of a Shotgun running game cause I am sure that is what we did towards the end of season last year and it work very well. I do agree the offensive play calling is very predictable. I mean we werre down 14 point n we try n run the ball on 3 n 10 not to smart. we need to spread it out a little now don’t get me wrong I prefer the run game more. we just need to be unpredictable keep the defense on their toes run outta shotgun so they bring the linemen rush set. n we burn them for a 15 yard run. I have no doubt we will beat the saints they were last years superbowl winniners that is old news. I hope drew brees has fun gettin sacked by isaac sopoaga n justin smtih n p willy! One thing I would change on defense though is Start taylor mays. :D sorry micheal lewis you are one of my favorite safties but that just pissed me off when you let the seahawks wr run right passed you into the inzone…. WOOT!!!! Road of glory is herre superbowl here we come :D!

99. By 9er Fan on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Lets go 9ers. You guys have potential. were up for a good season! beat the saints and then.. well.. that speaks for itself. red & Gold baby!!!

100. By John on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Sing, JR and Alex have to go if we are ever to be successful again.

101. By Frank Errico Jr. on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

As we go into week two against the defending champs, just imagine we are doing it with Walsh and his original group of unknowns. IF only to be there again!!

You start with an “inspired-innovative-system from an inspired coach.
    You hand pick the players and plug them into system-roles.

If there would have been no system, Walsh could have have stood on the sidelines and tried to imposed his will…..

They all became legends because of one man’s dream of how to play football.

Forty niner fans will never settle for less.

I enjoyed being out there the first season under Walsh, because of the offense. His offense destroyed everybody. The players believed in their ability to march down the field…on a regular basis. Then Walsh put together a defense in the same manner…then they believed as a team….

Could Eddie D. recreate this? I think he might be able to put it together again. I think he would spare nothing to get it done–because it was/is, in his blood. He would find another inspired genius coach, and plug in the right players. I bet he has already spent years of sleepless nights putting it together.

I mean no disrespect to Mike Singletary. I rate him up there with Monte Clark, a great football technician. I think they both needed to rely on others for a winning detailed system.

102. By D. Mike ultimate niner fan-1969 on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I like Mike Singletary. Where Radnich and others thought he was overstepping his authority in how he first handled Vernon, I thought it defined his soon to be geatness. He very much lacks though, Bill Walsh’s ability to recognize talent. Alex will never be an AVERAGE NFL quarterback. He doesn’t have it. Carr is better and Nate better yet, a natural. I don’t know what it is that crossed Mike about Nate or what bothers him, but that kid can play quarterback.

103. By D. Mike ultimate niner fan-1969 on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Also Mike himself made mistakes early. You don’t go for it on fourth down and give the other team a chance at turning the momentum their way. He is also too stubborn on the running game.

104. By KeithontheEast on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Speechless…!I dont know what say.

105. By Ricordo on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I’ve sat here and read everyone’s comments about Sunday’s game. Good stuff from everybody! To make it short and sweet though, Alex Smith needs to be more accurate with the ball, bottom line! Coaches need to be more creative with the play-calling! Secondary needs to tighten up in the backfield to help support the front seven. I agree with alot of my fellow 49er Faithfuls when you all made the statement on using our personnel alot more than they do. Whats the point of having them, if they don’t play? I personally think, if Alex doesn’t work out monday night, we should start David Carr in week 3. David Carr has arm-strength, accuracy, and the heart to still produce when the pocket breaks down. I feel that Carr could’ve been better recognized in the league if the Texans had a better offensive line when he was their quarterback. Basically, fellow niners, if Alex don’t come through monday, then I agree, bench him! As far as personnel goes, the coaches need to spice it up with the players and the play-calling. Thats why the Saints were so incredible last year, Sean Payton kept everybody on their heels with that attack first offense. So much love for the niners, 20 years 49er Faithful and still counting. I believe in you guys, let’s get it! That goes for you too Alex Smith, lol!!!

106. By skywalker1977 on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I am over hearing “this team is going to be good”. What is killing this team the most is the inconsistency. That’s it, I am pretty sure everyone on this post will agree with me when I say that all of us hold our breath to see what Alex Smith is going to show up or what kind of 49er team will take the field on Sunday’s. Watching games over the last two seasons has me convinced that this team doesn’t believe they can win when needed.

107. By Fred49ers on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m very upset over our lost to Seattle. Our offensive line are playing like boys instead of men. For the team to be successful this year, they have to move bodies off the ball to create a hole for Frank. I think that coach should give Anthony Dixon some play time because he really ran the ball during preseason. Our defense is solid but our corners need to get more physical. Our wide recievers need to run crisp routes and I hope Morgan or Crabtree will step up to the plate and become a deadly deep threat. Please win monday night. We can not afford to be down 0-2. I have talk so much trash about us winning our division and winning at least 10 or 11 games this year. This year please do not lose any more division games. #1 fan. Playoffs!

108. By Jose on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I kind of knew we were going to lose, This is way, When the schedule came out 9er players were talking about the Saints game so I think the 49ers are going to be great this but they just look to next weeks game and on Monday night, Hoping to do the same thing we did to Arizona last year.

109. By juan uribe on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I AM STILL SICK OVER THE SEATTLE GAME. WE HAVE A “BABY OWNER”, A COACH WITH 1950′S MENTALITY, A SENILE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, AND A HIGH SCHOOL JV QUARTERBACK !!! THE GOOD NEWS IS THE REST OF THE TEAM IS REALLY GOOD, BUT THEY ARE BEING LED BY INCOMPETENTS……BRING IN GRUDEN, LOCK UP “BABY DORK…SORRY…YORK”, PLAY CARR OR DAVIS AND SEND SINGLETARY, RAYE, AND SMITH AWAY NOW!!!!

110. By NvNinerFan on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

We may not be able to go undefeated this year but neither are a lot of other teams after the First Week. We are called the faithful for a reason and I am truly looking forward to seeing all of us at Candlestick this coming Monday. We are not out of this race by any means so if you can, please join us this coming Monday to not only support the red and gold but to immortalize Mr. Rice as well!!
    GO NINERS!!!

111. By Gordi on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Not so much a 9er fan, but do like the team and would like them get back. They have good players. All I have to say is Smith has got to go! David Carr needs a chance to get in there and show his stuff. What is Sing waiting for?

112. By jay-ward on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

A real big game changer was on third down when Hasselback threw an incomplete pass. The refs decided to call pass interference on Nate Clements. When actually Clements was being held by the WR. WTF???? Well the Sea…..was able to score there first TD after that incorrect call by the ref! that was a came changer, you also cant blame the 49ers defense, they were playing a short field for most of the game.

113. By Doug Sever on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Niner fan for over 40 years. It’s so sad that such a great assembling of talent this year will slowly be destroyed by the lack of talent of Alex Smith. The team, with him, will be lucky to have a winning season. In the meantime, on each Sunday, after we have waited with such anticipation for the big game, we will see this man progressively ruin the game with his blatent lack of talent. He is a bust!!!! He is inaccurate; doesn’t know how to use the pocket; doesn’t read defenses; doesn’t have the ability to fake (a big item in a quarterback’s success – remember Montana’s faking moves?); and doesn’t see open receivers (he leads the NFL in that category). You can’t be successful in the NFL with inaccuracy. That alone makes him unworthy of holding the job. I’m not sure what he has over the Niners Coaches and Brass, but it sure is mystifying??? In the NFL, when the Quarterback plays good, the rest of the team plays good. When he is bad (like Sunday), the rest of the team plays bad. It happens all the time. Let’s face it, the quarterback position is key to the success of the team. Evidently, Singletary doesn’t think so. So, So So Sad!!!! Another mediocre season with many let downs each Sunday. I would like to give it that ole Rah Rah thing, but I know I’ll only to be disapointed each time I generate some enthusiasm by Smith’s continual failures. And, my resentment for Singletary will grow each time. I’m a true blue Niner fan and will stay that way and hope that things will get better someday. Sure is disappointing in the meantime though. I feel so sorry for all the great players that are currently on the roster, trying to cope with a lack of offense that is purely the result of Alex Smith.

114. By jay-ward on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

i wouldnt get rid of singletary, i would rather get rid of jimmy raye! especially if MIKE wants to keep his job, and we want mike to STAY!

115. By Tyler on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

i think that the niners need to learn how to get to the line more quickly and use a hard count every once in a while, meanwhile, smith is turning a 3rd and 3 to a 3rd and 8 with these ridiculous delay of game penalties. spread out that offense, run davis in the slot give him or morgan or crabtree or walker a deep ball and let them play football other than just blocking, and going off the field 3 plays later. this team has great potential and watching this game i saw that endurance was lacking in all the o line players, and communication needs to become more efficient, just trust alex to make some calls and if it backfires give david carr a shot. i would say start nate davis, but you know how that goes, we released him….anyways niners need to get back to their roots call up montana and ask how bill walsh told him to run the offense we pretty much have the same weapons he did, a good te, wr and rb! C’MON guys we need this season, keep up the faith

116. By jay-ward on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

WELL SAID…

117. By Todd W. on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

What I want to be answered is why Jerry Rice is giving the Seattle Seahawks motivational speeches while he should be doing that for us???!!!
    Last time I checked, we need to have a better record than Seattle to take the division! Come on man!!!

118. By John Perez on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

All I know is that all the Niner Faithful want to see this team play with a little passion and self respect when they take the field. Keep the mental errors to a minimun and Kick the Saints A$$. NINER NATION STAND UP!!!! GO NINERS!!!!

119. By Floyd Berrien on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

MY Niners will be just fine! No need for panic at all! LOOK at all the teams that lost in the first week. Their were some great teams that did not win in week1 of the season. The Colts, Cowboys,Chargers,Vikings, as well as us the Niners will all be playoff teams this year, I Promise! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Niners!

120. By GC on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

bad calls swung the momentum to the seahawks.

approx 5:10 left in the 2nd quarter-it’s 3rd and 4 for the seahawks. the seahawk’s receiver interferes with the defensive player for the 49ers and instead of having to punt the ball back to the niners, the refs call defensive pass interference and the seahawks get a 1st down.

so instead of the niners getting the ball back with the confidence that they’ve been playing with, the seahawks get away with offensive pass interference AND a 1st down… AND eventually score.

that hurt the niners mentally and it all went downhill from there.

a few other bad calls by the refs that went the seahawks way, but this one shifted all the momentum away from the 49ers.

those refs should be shot!

121. By JimD on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Smashmouth alone is not going to get you to the super bowl. The playcalls in the redzone were questionable and why are we not utilizing the proper RB for goal line plays. Frank Gore is a great back, but he is not the best goal line back. You have 2 other great RB on the roster. Use them eh?

I’m going to be frank, (no pun intended) I am really concerned about Jimmy Raye’s play calling.

122. By KG on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Johne Baker made a good point with regards to our running backs. Anthony Dixon had an AWESOME pre-season, why not get him a touch every other play or at least once each series? This could help Frank stay fresh and be more effective when he has the ball. They both have similar styles and sharing the load could only improve our running game. Speaking of which, I’m curious as to why we were so stubborn in trying to force the ball up the middle so often even when it proved so unsuccessful against Seattle? I know Frank has popped many of these for big gains, but when it’s not working I think we need to be more creative in getting the ball into his hands in other ways. Why couldn’t we throw the ball to him underneath? What about a reverse? Why couldn’t we try our own form of the “Wildcat?” If we got the ball to him in different ways I believe it eventually soften up the middle so the quick hitter would work! I believe we became way too predictable last game and the Seattle defense was never kept guessing as to what was coming each down. Come on offensive coaches let’s be more creative and less predictable! I know you are capable of much better!

Also would like to point out that keeping Crabtree, V Davis and Gore out of the pre-season as much as we did didn’t help the mechanics of our passing game. Bad idea! Smitty played in all but one of the games, so I have to believe it’s more of a receiver issue than a QB thing at this point. Practice speed is definitely different than game speed. I know it’s a little late to point this out but I hope we don’t do this again next season. I know that minor injuries were being nursed but I believe even a partial quarter would have helped significantly, and would have been worth the risk, because all we gained is having healthier players but who are presently ineffective. Come on coaches! Get them the reps they need! We’ve got our work cut out for us this week!
    Hoping for greater things this season! I know we’re able! Go Niners!

Cheering from Michigan,

KG

123. By adamC on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Well, I think personally going for it on 4th down was a bad idea. We could have been 12 up instead of six, and maintained that momentum. Everyone wants that first TD, but you can’t force it. It’s all about points, and the defense was playing superbly that first quarter. Then came the self destruct. The running game was clearly never going to get going, because they O-line was just not winning the trench battle at all. Seahawks line was superb.

My problem is Smith. I just don’t have the faith in him that Singletary seems to have. How many times have we seen the team self destruct after simple errant mistakes by the QB? He’s quite simply NEVER gonna lead this team to the superbowl. How many years are they gonna give him before they come tot he same conculsion?

I’m all for giving the guy a chance this season, and it’s early days, but if we’re not confidentally stepping up and winning games by week 5, they need to shake this team up. Game plans are great, but like all best laid plans, they don’t always work, and Singletary needs to be hot on adjusting the offense until it’s capable of decent rhythm. If that means getting Carr in at QB, or subbing Dixon in for the running game, then do it! I can’t believe how criushing that whole game was after such a promising pre-season. But then, just take a look at the great individual performances there. Dixon was superb, Carr was steady and accurate too. Let’s hope it was all just a bit too much over enthusiasm and that the guys can pull it together for the Saints! I seriously need something to get me jumping around the living room…!!

124. By adamC on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Oh and also, for all the people getting at Crabtree, he was not the one who made the mistake in that play! Check out Singletary’s notebook. He clearly says in response to that play: “He ran the correct route, but it was just a – the throw that Alex made, it wasn’t the best throw in the world.”

125. By Basko Saucealini on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

i moved to washington in 99 and i didn’t see as much as a seagull bumper sticker, a jersey, or a hat untill these losers went to the super bowl for once in their life. in washington we call em halftime fans or people who jumped on the fan wagon, hahahaha! it kills me to lose a game like this. and these wack seahawk fans runnin their mouths but don’t even know who they’re playin next week, hahahahaha….. i’m a niner from birth….from tattoos to flags to jerseyz….. lets get it. there is no use of comin out of battle and having key weapons not being used.(westbrook,dixion,carr,or even N.davis)
    NINERS 4 LIFE!!!!

126. By Basko Saucealini on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

to anyone who says we need to get rid of mike sing……”what are you an idiot” you obviously are too broke to pay attention!

127. By Frank Errico Jr on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Somebody please tell me where I can order the Walsh era FortyNiner DvD’s.
    Like a fool, I was waiting all these years for more of the same play, or at least the same general success model.

The strategic play from the booth demonstrated to the whole world, all the layers of personnel needed to react to the field. Which is indicative of the whole organization. I think the Fortyniner job descriptions have become too narrow.How many experts do you need to change a light bulb. Any more than one, will cause problems. I would like to see an Edison change the light bulb, because I am spoiled by the Walsh era.

128. By Don Watanabe on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Singletary lets his personal feelings get involved which is why he will never be a great coach like Walsh. He lost that game against Seattle just as much as anyone else. He also let his personal feelings get involved when he waived Nate Davis. They’re lucky he didn’t get picked up. They should not risk bringing him back this year off practice squad when they find out Smith ain’t the guy against tough D’s or tough times

129. By nola on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Are Y’all Ready for some Real Football ? The Monday Night Party Payton & Singletary will get this thing started. Isn’t that how the theme song goes on MNF?

Brees TO: Colston / Henderson / Meachem / Moore / Arrington / Roby / Bush / Thomas / Evans / Shockey / Thomas / Humphrey / Graham.
    OH and Gregg Williams and the ” D ” will be Zeroing in on this Alex Smith QB of yours that y’all are Hate Threading on…Because We Aint Da’ NFC West Saints anymore. Geaux Saints Two Dat !

130. By Basko Saucealini on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I hope willis smacks brees out his helmet!!!!
    NINERS4LIFE!

131. By tony on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I think what had happened last week against Seattle was because Gore, V. Davis, Crabtree, did not play during the pre-season. so their chemistry was really off the game plan.

on ” D ” they should start playing Ricky Jean Francois, beside Franklin. and replace terrell Brown with Reggie Smith.
    and also use Labouy , Brooks as Outside LB. this will give them a good pass rush on the QB.

132. By Gordi on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

We will be there Monday Night to see the BIG GAME!!!! against the AINT’S. Ha ha And I agree with Basko – Brees gotta go out!!!!

133. By niners4ever on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

GO NINERS PAY BACKS A MOTHER !!!!
    no matter what happens I’ll be there
    like i am every year!!
    BUT if we loose i think it will be because of ALEX SMITH. goood luck

134. By Rod on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

We just need a QB !!!!!! Period !!! What is the ownership looking at? What do they see in this guy? In all of the years that he has been there, he has shown me nothing. Niner fans are running out of patience. We had a Chance at McNabb, and Vick. Not to mention good Qb’s in the draft. OMG. come on management

135. By tru9erfan on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Well 49er faithful after just one game you guys are all ready to call for everyone’s head. The truth is we did’nt play that bad of a game and yes that goes for Alex Smjth too. In fact Alex played pretty damn good in that first half and as far as that missed touchdown goes I believe the Q.B. when he said that he lofted the ball so that Norris could run underneath it…not damn near stop and turn around. So I don’t think that was that bad of a pass or even that bad a call, just the wrong player to have had in there it should have been Walker lined up in the backfield because no matter where the ball would have been placed he’s making that catch. We also need to get Westbrook and Dixon in the game along with Gore to change it up. Oh yeah what was up with o-line, they need to get better and I know they will and another thing is we need to not be so scared when we are down inside the opponents 5yrd line…don’t just run the ball on 2nd and 3rd down for no yards throw the ball to Davis or Crabtree or even Morgan hell maybe Westbrook give those guys a shot at making a play on the ball. We just need to open up the offence a little more, I’d love to see some of that spread formation they ran last year at times. Look I’m not saying that we should abandon the run not at all but I’ve seen that our Q.B. is extremely comfortable in the spread so why not run it. Look I’m not saying Alex is Manning or Brees or even Brady but those teams seem to have no problems when they go 4 and 5 wide the truth is as much as I love Frank and believe me he’s a great player, we also have some other pretty damn good skill players and I think It’s time we start to utilize them the way they should be used. And for all the Nate haters out there open your eyes that’s just what we need from him is to be aggressive just like he was in Buffalo that’s how turnovers happen.The guy really only got beat on one bad play(that double move) and as far as that pass interference call goes that was a bunch of B.S. One more thing about the pass that Alex threw to Crabtree that everybody on this site says Alex threw it way to hard …well if I’m making millions to catch the ball then It’s my job to catch the ball and so all of you know Crabtree did have both hands on that ball as he was looking up field.

136. By nola on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

If y’all need a QB well we cut Patrtick Ramsey. Nawlins Saints 31
    Frisco Nooners 17. Cuz we Aint Da’ Aints No More ! & We aint in Da’ NFC WRECK I mean West either. NFC SOUTH WHODATZ Geaux SAINTS.
    After this embarrassment SINGELTARY will want to suit up.

By the Way how did y’all make the grade on Primetime MNF ? The Vick Eagles are next week. Best not look ahead.

137. By Niner_Noe on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

@Nola.. Easy Buddy.. As the Niner Nation now well knows, today’s champ can be tomorrow’s chump. Just the way it is in the NFL..

138. By dr. dave on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

If alex smith were cut today who would pick him up?–no-one–he would be sipping codine with marcus.hey jimmy—why dont you go to your 15th team to call your game

139. By chip benson on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

The 49ers now have 3 good backs (Gore, Westbrook, and Dixon the rookie). All three of them can run and catch. Why on earth didn’t they even put Westbrook in one time last week (and I don’t think they used Dixon either). Why not run plays with all three of these guys in the backfield – keep the defense guessing if it will be a run or short out pass? That’s my question: Why don’t they run plays using three talented backs in the backfield at one time?

140. By Mark on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

It’s still incredibly early, but it’s pretty clear that this team only goes as far as Alex Smith can take them. Talk about frustrating, especially given the fact he went #1 overall, geez!

141. By chant on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith has been taken out before, and it is about time to do it again. We have a strong team, but with his lack of decision making skills and his poor overall ability as a leader, I would be happier with ANYONE else.

142. By Basko Saucealini on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

WE NEED A QB!!!! WE NEED A QB!!!! WE NEED A QB!!!! WE NEED A QB!!!!

143. By Basko Saucealini on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

ALEX SMITH IZ 2ND OR 3RD STRING ON ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE!!!!