Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Aug. 30

Posted by Taylor Price on August 30, 2010 – 4:51 PM

Back in OTAs, Mike Singletary said the final players to make his 53-man roster would be the ones who contribute the most on special teams.

On Monday, the 49ers head coach reiterated those intentions days after his team put its best special teams performance together in a 28-24 win over the Oakland Raiders.

Rookie cornerback Phillip Adams provided an 83-yard punt return for a touchdown, cornerback Tarell Brown forced a fumble on a Raiders kickoff return, and both Joe Nedney and Shane Andrus converted field goal attempts. Even fourth-string quarterback Jarrett Brown got in on the act, tackling Raiders wide receiver Jacoby Ford on a kickoff return in the second half.

Special teams captain Michael Robinson said it was the best the 49ers special teams units have performed in the 2010 preseason.

“It was good to build on, but we still have a lot of cleaning up to do, especially in the kickoff return game,” Robinson said. “It was good to see a punt return spring through there and it was good to see our kickoff coverage getting down there and forcing a fumble. But we felt like we could still do better.”

And if the 49ers put together an even better special teams performance together in time for Thursday night’s home preseason finale against the San Diego Chargers, Singletary’s final roster cuts might be severely influenced.

But it won’t only be the players who will have a chance to sway Singletary’s opinions, special teams coordinator Kurt Schottenheimer will play a key role in the final cuts according to Singletary.

“I think for us to get where we need to go, we need to have great special teams,” Singletary said. “I can’t challenge (Schottenheimer) and say, ‘Hey, I want us to have the best special teams in the league,’ and not give him a say in what he needs.”

“Is special teams important or not? And it is important; it’s going to be very important for us. So yes, (Schottenheimer) is going to have a tremendous amount of weight when it comes to, you know, there may be five, six, seven slots that he has on there that he has a chance to have influence on.”

For players who put a huge emphasis on their special teams play like fullback Brit Miller, that news is nothing out of the ordinary. After he was called up to the 53-man roster late last season, Miller knows just how important special teams are to the 49ers overall success.

“It’s important to me every week,” Miller said. “I made a few tackles last week and I take pride in that. I take pride in being the first one down the field to make a tackle. That’s my goal every time. It’s important to me every day – I don’t care what game it is.”

Notes and Quotes

Singletary commended the play of Adams, but would not officially name him as the team’s punt returner. Singletary did say the seventh-round pick was one of the few players who “definitely” have a strong chance to be the guy.

On the injury front, tackle Joe Staley (knee sprain) and running back Brian Westbrook (hamstring cramp) are “fine” according to the head coach. Tight end Vernon Davis (knee) is close to being ready to return to action, and Singletary said he could possibly return to action this week. Wide receiver Michael Crabtree (neck) could have played in Oakland had it been a regular season game, but sat out as a precaution.

Aubrayo Franklin, who signed his one-year franchise tender on Saturday, could play a series or two against the Chargers, Singletary said. The coaches will discuss the possibility a little bit more before a determination is made.

Lastly, Singletary said the final preseason game could very well influence his decision-making on the final 53. Nothing is set in stone.

“There are always few things that the game could influence and it’s just a matter of in that fourth game, it just depends on what jumps out at you. It’s just one of those things that you’re just there at the game, and you’re thinking this guy may be a candidate for the practice squad. This guy may be a candidate for the 53, you know this guy may be a candidate for the 45, and they do something in that game that tilts it one way or the other. This guy may or may not make the team. So those scenarios that I just went through, they can be answered in that last game.”

For a deeper look into special teams, check out TV49’s special look at special teams.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk: Aug. 30”

1. By DeDee on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I like what I see so far in pre season!! I have beyond high hopes that we will make it into the playoffs this year!! We have plenty of talent on our team. I’m hoping Alex proves himself, and if not I hope Mike doesn’t wait to long before he puts in David or Nate. All 3 show promise, but all 3 need protection. I believe in my team, and I’m a die hard 9er Fan! Let’s go 9ers!

2. By 49er Faithful on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

OK. Let’s start with the marquee players. Alex Smith looks good — confident, mobile, efficient. He’s stepping up and throwing strikes. Tight spirals that are on the money. Patrick Willis — what can you say. Simply the best defensive player in the league. Outstanding on and off the field. Gore looks ready to carry the offensive load. Explosive and determined. Question marks? Vernon’s knee; Crabtree’s neck; the defensive secondary. How are our safeties, really? Goldson’s a ballhawk, and Lewis came off a fine season, but is the speed there? Linebackers and defensive line are among the best in the league, imho, but someones got to cover the speed burners. Nate Clements? Hmmmm.

3. By Brian boogie on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to add in harmony with DEE DEE that singletary did one hell of a job drafting those 9 drafts that we just picked up. all are the future of this franchise. cant wait to see Kyle back on the field I know phil did his thing last week but Kyle is the better return guy. Hell I say put them all out there. Put kyle on punts and Ted and Phil on kick off together. That will be a double threat on kick off and kyle can handle the threat on punts.

4. By facedagree on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

49er faithful here saying niners til i die, and tha team looks good 2 me. there gonna bring tha noise this and i know many 49ers fans will be surprised at this team. once that fist game hits, tha niners are gonna attack and roll people over.and hell yeah we taking tha division and nothing less. but when in tha playoffs, its really time 2 turn it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NINERS-4-LIFE…….

5. By Geos49ers on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I like what see so far in pre season they need to block a lot better .and i would like to see kyle williams in more plays cause i think he would be a good slot WR,Jus watchin some of his college highlights the kid can Get open and catch pretty well.

6. By Ralph Delso on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I like wat im seeing from da 9ers Willis showed da raiders y he’s da best defensive player in da league. Gore looks like he’s picking up where he lefted off at from last year. We need to work on our pass defense if we dnt da saints n da packers r gonna kills us passing bt I got faith n our d dat wer gonna shut em down. N Willis we trust!!!!!! Go 9ers!!!!!!!!!!

7. By munkyz on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

i like wat im seeing so far too, but your right about the pass defense…if we can get better on that, we will be a hell of a solid defense!

8. By paul knight on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Im very impressed with the 49ers in preseason. there on there way back to the glory in a few years. It would be nice to see the cowboys and 49ers play to get into the superbowl this year. Stay healthy and theres a great chance.

9. By dg on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Every year we beat the Raiders approximately 2,000 ignorant Raider “fans” jump ship and become Niner fans..You can tell by all the cholo graffiti in the restrooms at Candlestick..It’s their way of communicating..besides texting..

10. By dg on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

And Nate Davis has only 5 days left as a Niner..Shoulda done your homework son..You better hope Donovan hooks you up or its the counter at KFC for you.

11. By Brian boogie on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

ARE YOU OUT YOUR MIND “DG” NATE IS THE FUTURE AND IF THEY LET HIM GO WE ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE WITH ALEX. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL. DONT EVEN SPEAK ON THIS WEBSITE. YOU WOULD BE A POOR MANAGER OF TALENT.

12. By Archie Don on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Nate Davis is a BEAST!! Alex is a bum and so is David. Sing is pissing me off thinking we can win with a subpar QB. Put the playmaker in to make plays not to throw the ball out of bounds everytime there is pressure. Our pass rush and secondary SUCKS!! Who watched the game. Raiders were carving up our defense!!

13. By whitenss54 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Ya dg get a grip on reality man. You obviously haven’t been watching any preseason games the last 2 years Nate has done nothing but shine in every game he has played in, I’m excited for his future and hopefully that future is with the 9ers and if its not it won’t be because he couldn’t make the roster.

14. By Supers on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

1st things 1st, Alex needs his weapons back on the field (Crabtree & Vernon). 2nd, we have to wait n c how the O-Line will do in the 1st game cuz that’s wen the real action takes place (they look good so far), PS. Get back soon Heitmann. 3rd, Michael Lewis looks like he lost a step n it looks like Taylor Mays is ready for action (he is always around the ball). 4th, Willis aka P-Dot (cuz once he hits you the play is over) is a BEAST, will he take his game too another level, from wat i c n the preseason, he looks unstoppable. Finally, How will the offensive coordinator use all the weapons at his disposal? As a team we look explosive.

15. By John Perez on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I agree Brian. “DG” knows nothin. I like what is see so far in the preseason.I believe the seconday may need a little help(nothing that cant be remedied) but other than that it the playoffs for us. Just a message to the O line jus protect Alex and he will take us to the promised land. And to all the NINER FAITHFUL!!! dont stop believing because this is the year we start our SUPERBOWL RUN’S. 6TH AND 7TH COMING SOON! NINER NATION STAND UP!!!!

16. By charles capers on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Fellows I have to agree. We are definitely on to something special here. We have depth at every position and i am confident somebody is going to step up. Dixon has already stepped up. We have a couple more diamonds in the rough and I am eager to see the X factors. We finally have a bruiser in Dixon and receiving back in Westbrook. Either one is a compliment to Gore but we can definitely do some playaction and keep teams honest. The recievers are talented. We have speed and hands but we need a guy to go across the middle. Somebody with a Anquan Boldin mentalilty. I think Tyrell Brown could start at cornerback and Phillip Adams had a lot of deflections against the raiders. I think those two are going to have a huge impact on defense. I also like Laboy and Bowman.

17. By 49ers80 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Cant wait for the season to begin. Sing has done a great job getting this team back where it needs to be. Alex will flourish in his 2nd season running the same offense. Nate Davis is our future qb, I think he should be #2 ahead of Carr. I expect big things this year! Go 9ers.

18. By chet on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

If nate davis cant figure out the playbook what the hell is he gonna do in a big game ? I am not saying the guy does not have talent but that talent might be headed for the UFL. I am not sold on alex either but he has the people around him so there are no more excuses but i think he is our best chance to win right now.

19. By deventhedude on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

they forgot to menion the chip shot nedney missed

20. By b on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Yeah i’m not sure why peeps r so high on nate davis..”because he tears up 3rd or 4th string defenders” yeah….right, and as for the 65 yard bomb…j-russell could have hit him. Ginn is fast nuff said. It all depends on the o-line, give alex time and he will hit his targets. I think with the weapons he could actually become a pro bowler if the line stands their ground.

21. By Archie Don on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Nate Davis performs against who ever he has to compete with. They need to let him start the game against the Chargers. They wont because they want everyone to back Alex. Nate can and will perform. Alex and David are busts and watching them in action shows it. The numerous 0-5 yard passes they continue to throw. I see ALOT of 3 and outs. I am TIRED of losing and in order for the defense to not be worn out, we need a quarterback who is going to pick up some first downs!!

22. By Jeremy on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I absolutely agree that SMITH is NOT the guy! He never has been and i am tired of anyone making excuses for him. I believe that Davis is the guy and have been saying it since we picked him up! After a few years in the league ALEX SMITH still does not know how to plant his feet, read the defense, and make plays. Coach knows what he is doing but i just hope for our sake he does not hold onto SMITH he still can not get the job done!

23. By James R on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I thought Allex looked good in his last two outings. His timing was way off in the first preseason game. My main concern, however, was the lack of production by our offensive line at opening up holes for our running game against the opposition’s first team defensive lines. We did well against the Colts, but were not much of a factor against the first team defensive lines of the Vikings and Raiders. Pass protection is much better, but we could do without all the false starts. Luckily for us we still have our game with San Diego and another ten days to get our timing down before our regular season opener with Seattle.

24. By Joe on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Seriously? Please stop talking about Nate Davis starting. He is in no way ready. Those plays that you think are so great are just busted plays he gets away with during garbage time in PRESEASON. Playing wreckless like that will become nightmare turnovers in regular seaon. Alex may not be the answer but neither is a 2nd year 3rd string back-up who cant read the playbook yet or wont put in the work.

25. By Ralph Delso on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Personally I thought da 9ers was gonna go after colt or jimmy this years draft n traded alex have nate take over da starting job n developed one of dem two bt dey choosen to keep alex. ill give him one more chance if he doesnt get da job done nate will run da offense or der gonna go after another qb n next years draft.

26. By Mike on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m really counting on Alex and the Crab! True,I’m a Vikings fan but you folks will be getting support from at least one guy in Minnesota.

27. By lonnie austin on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

coach singletary is doing a great jobhe has all the pieces to win a championship
    i would like to see him implement the k-gun no huddle used by jim kelly and the buffalo bills that went to 4 straight super bowls