Key 49ers to Play vs. Oakland

Posted by Sam Good on August 26, 2010 – 6:02 PM

Several prominent members of the 49ers are yet to see any action this preseason, but head coach Mike Singletary said that will change when his team faces the Oakland Raiders on Saturday night.

Running backs Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook and wide receiver Michael Crabtree didn’t take the field during the team’s first two contests, but all three will be out there to showcase their talent in the third preseason game.

“I just want to see our guys continue to take another step, that’s all,” Singletary said after Thursday afternoon’s practice. “Just continue to execute and let’s continue the progression.”

Singletary said Gore will likely play one series, but maybe more depending on how his first series goes. Crabtree will play about one quarter, and Singletary did not specify how long Westbrook will be in the game.

Tight end Vernon Davis (knee) will not play.

Kick-off for Saturday’s game is set for 6:00 p.m. PDT. The broadcast on KBCW/CW 44 Cable 12 will be tape-delayed and will air at 9:00 p.m. PDT.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Key 49ers to Play vs. Oakland”

1. By Jeff on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I was very happy with the 49ers performance against the vikings. I needed this reasurance after a poor first quarter against the colts. But again, I was very happy with an opening TD drive done w/o Gore, Davis, or crabtree. Hopefully A.Smith can keep his head in the game and make it look and feel natural. Don’t be fooled by that first big win against the colts as they are highly experimental in the preseason having won only 4 preseason games in the last 5 years. But I see the team showing us a lot of promise. They’re looking great, 2nd and 3rd QBs look good, and A.Dixon is definitely a solid addition. Looking forward to 11 wins in the regular season. GO 9ERS!!!

2. By John Perez on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Lets get ready to Rumble Raideretts. Niner Nation Stand UP !!!!!!!

3. By P! BORJA on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Yeah Bay Urrrea here we come. Frisco has to represent even if it’s preseason I wants me some woop a.. on the FAIDERS sorry a..!!!! GO RED & GOLD!!!!

4. By kirk on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I know what gore and crabtree can do. Im looking forward to seeing what westbrook can do Hopefully the coaching staff can give him 7-10 touches of the football on saturday

5. By Brian boogie on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

ALRIGHT GENTS, THIS IS MY VIEW ON THE SITUATION. FROM WHAT I SEE WITH THE COLTS, THEY ARE NONTHING WITH OUT PAYTON. HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE LAST COUPLE OF PRESEASON GAMES THE LOST TRAMENDOUSLY BY A LOT OF POINTS. I THINK NATE IS STILL THE BETTER QUARTER BACK. ALEX ONLY DID ONE QUARTER LAST GAME. I AM STILL NOT CONVIENCE OF ALEX ABLILITIES. HE HAS A LOT TO PROVE THIS YEAR. AS YOU CAN SEE WE HAVE A LOT MORE WEAPONS THAN JUST CRABTREE, DAVIS AN GORE. KYLE WILLIAMS, DIXON, DELAINE WALKER AND TED GINN JR. JUST TO NAME A FEW NOT TO MENTION OUR LATEST ADDITION BRIAN WESTBROOK. WITH THE EDITION OF TWO GREAT OFFENSIVE LINEMAN. HE HAS EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. I DONT THINK HE CAN DO IT. OUR DEFENSE WILL SAVE US ONCE AGAIN. WE NEED NATE DAVIS. HE CAN MAKE PLAYS AND MOST OF ALL HE DOESNT TURN THE BALL OVER. HE MAKES GOOD DECISIONS. SINGLETARY SHOULD SKIP CARR AND PUT NATE IN IF ALEX DOESNT CUT IT.

6. By bobby on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

i agree w/ brian,put nate as #2 qb.this guy is slick and he has a gun,just in case alex won’t go beyond 16 games…

7. By evo49ray on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

To Brian’s comment:

Alex will be fine this year. Your lack of trust shows you have not done your research with him. Alex puts in way more commitment than Davis, which is why he is the starter. If Davis would stop acting like 500,000 a year is good money because he’s hood rich, then maybe he would be starting this year.

And next time you want someone to seriously pay attention to your post, don’t write it all in capslock…

8. By David Gomez on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Nate Davis is the future of the 49ers, this guy reminds me of a calm Randle Cunningham, and has a Gun for an arm, he makes split decisions and should actually get te shot for the starter position.

9. By Chris on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

@jeff 11 wins? who will we get our 5 losses against? have you looked at the schedule yet? were definitely getting at least 13 wins this season

10. By Hoover on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

when are people going to recognize that Alex Smith is for real. He had a great second half last year. The team was scoring points and it was actually the defense that did not hold up its end of the bargain.

One thing most people agree about Alex is his intelligence. I’ll take a smart quarterback with good physical attributes any day. Niners are going far this year and Alex will be one reason they are successful.

11. By NinersFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Once again with nate Davis… he has a great arm but he can’t learn the system in two years, give me a break! yea put him in as a starter, so when we get a new o.c. it will take 2 to 3 more years for him to figure it out…. I don’t think so! ALEX is the man so get over it…. give him a chance this will be his year to get us to the playoffs, if not then talk your crap….. Alex Tru niner Fans have faith in you man… go NINERS….

12. By BIGG CHUGG on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

i’m very impressed by the way the 9ers have played these pre-season games – although i’m still not sold on alex smith. he makes blood pressure go up when he touches the ball…..hopefully i don’t have to take blood pressure pills this season. i hope and wish our team does good this year – WIN, LOSE OR TIE…..9ERS TILL I DIE!

13. By Pattytheirishlass on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait to see this weeks game and find out how Gore, Crabtree and westbrook do. I ‘m rooting for the 49ers all the way. I hope we get to the play-offs and maybe go to the Super Bowl. Way to go Singletary!

14. By Jirms on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

We play AFC West division this year and so end up playing Oakland twice this year. For some reason that makes me somewhat less interested in this game.

15. By John P. on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I am trying to be positive and hoping that Smith will have a break through year. He has the athletic tools but I just don’t see him as a team leader. Seems like he doesn’t have enough fight in him. I would rather start Nate Davis and see how he develops. I know the team would thrive off of him. I just think we are going down that same road with Smith. All I can say is, if Smith has a losing season it’s good bye.

16. By charlie on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith was fed to the lions his rookie year, every year after He was asked to learn a new play book. He played hurt I believe in year three and turned out he needed surgery and he felt it nessesary to play even though he needed surgery. After that he was already being called one the worst Draft picks ever up there with ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russle. Even with all that when he had a chance to leave the 9ers and get paid more money, of course he chose to take a pay cut in order to stay with the brother hood.WHAT A TRU 9ER He has seen sh#t and has been through the worst the nfl has to offer. Aaron Rodgers is coming and I believe Alex is the only one who can stop him. Win the west

17. By RedAndGoldBlood on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree that Alex was fed to the lions, thrown to the wolves, not given a fair shot, etc… You guys gotta remember, the kid was TWENTY when we drafted him. How old was Steve Young when he finally got consistent??? 33? 34???? Don’t any of you remember how hard it was to watch Steve miss passes that Joe would’ve dropped in there like a baby in a cradle? Then he pulled it together. But he was in our system for almost 4 years before he got consistent and 8 years before he looked like the Hall of Fame player that we remember now. But don’t forget how he got there. He also had the benefit of having the same system in place almost his whole career.

Aaron might have still been the stronger choice in that draft, but would he have done so well if Brett had retired that first year and he had to start? Or as a Niner? It was crappy draft for QB’s we didnt have much choice. AND we had dumbass Dennis Erickson for a coach. That guy’s never had a winning season in the NFL has he? who keeps giving this guy jobs?

So you draft an OK QB into a weak system, then you change the system 6 times. I think Nate has some physical talent, but starting him now would be a mistake. Another year or two he might be ready.

Root for Alex whether you like him or not. He wants to win, and works his ass off to get better. You gotta respect the heart on a guy like that. GO NINERS!!!!

18. By b young on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for calling everyone a gent, now why don’t you just boogie on out of here brian. I”M sick and tired of all the Alex Smith bashing. He doesn’t have to prove anything to you Mr. Boogie only to his coaches and teammates. IT’s amazing to me how many people out there especially 49er fans seem to forget how much Montana sucked his first two years. Give Smith a break. He’s had ten times the adversity to deal with than Joe did and he’ll do just fine. As far as Nate davis goes. Once again your’re blind Mr. Boogie. EXCEPT for that one long downfield pass Davis was major suckage the entire time he was on the field.I have no doubt that he will turn himself around and become a great backup but not this year.

19. By Brody on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Been a faithful 9er fan since 56.Was a QB in youth FB & HS.Coached as an offensive co-ordinator in a youth league for 17 years.Football is in my blood & recognition of atheletes come natural to me.As I can see,Yes it’s a do or die year for Alex.I really hope he can pull it off.But honestly IMHO he lacks a natural ability to improvise as all the “Great” QB’s Have.I beleive than NATE has them.He has street ball savy.So if a play breaks down or he makes a mistake,he has the ability physically to pull a rabit out of the hat.Alex on the other hand has all the heart & intellect in the world but is missing that special talent to improvise as we will probably witness this season.We will have a decent year thanks to all the talent around him & our excellant defense & Manusky’s guidance……Go 9ers …Alex prove me wrong!!

20. By Mike in WA on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

As long as our o-line can protect the QB we will do good. our defense was solid last year just need to have a consistent offense and do better against non-divisional opponents.

21. By Montes on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex could have left…to be honest i would have probably left the first year if i wer alex but he didnt…he even took a paycut…faithtful niners c a true champ in alex for a reason..dudes gonna be way better than rodgers…if you guys doubt niners doing a good job in the draft then we wouldnt hav the players that put us in the driving seat to take the west and possibly the bowl..who ever believes the west is weak is blind…rams cards hawks and 9ERS always represent in the playoffs..wer no joke like the east who are nothing but talk..and if we remember correctly saints used to be a part of the NFC west

22. By Allan the niner fan forever on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Way to go niners. You are on track for great things, and no matter who says what, listen to Mike Singletary. You will go to the Superbowl, but you have to play it one game at a time, take no idiots for granted, and infuse the spirit of the bayonet into each of you. Up Close and personal battle will win games, each doing his own job, and doing it well.

23. By pete nice on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Niner fans let’s face it, we don’t have a qb peroid! I stand behind smith until he fails this year, davis is not the answer sorry wannabes! How many black qb’s have won superbowls? the one that did was a fluke. I am not saying black qb’s are not good but i don’t want just the playoffs i want the whole enchilada! I mean no disrespect to black qb’s but let’s face it they dominate every other position except qb & kicker. GO NINERS KEEP IT REAL

24. By 352KAE on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex Smith needs to stop getting caught up in his own hype(the media). Smith needs to focus. He has the skills, the arm, the weapons and the DEFENSE to get it done. At this point no one from the NINER NATION should question him, but we do… Fix that and we’re SUPER BOWL bound! GO NINERS!

25. By Brian boogie on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

OKAY GENTS I AM BACK, WHERE DID YOU GUYS GET THAT ABOUT ALEX BEING ABLE TO GET MORE MONEY BY LEAVING US. THE WAY I RECALL HE NEGOTIATED BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE WOULD HAVE HIM AFTER THOSE BAD SEASON. AND AARON ROGERS IS THE MAN. ALEX WILL NEVER BE BETTER THAN THAT. AARON HAD TO REPLACE BRET FARVE POSITION IN GREEN BAY WITH PRESSURE FROM THE FANS TO FEEL THOSE HUGE SHOES. NOW THATS PRESSURE!!! WHEN ALEX CAME IN WE WERE REBUILDING AND THE FANS GAVE HIM PLENTY OF TIME TO REBUILD. NO PRESSURE!!! I AM SO
    SICK OF YOU GUYS MAKING EXCUSES FOR THAT BUMB. OH AND AS FOR YOU ” NINERS FAN” AND CHARLIE NATE DAVIS MAY NOT KNOW ALL THE PLAY BOOKS YET BUT WITH LESS KNOWLEDGE HE STILL IS MORE PRODUCTIVE THAT ALEX. WHEN HE GOT THE BALL I DONT PANICK ABOUT IF HE IS GOING TO PICK THE BALL OFF. HE IS NOT BOOK SMART LIKE ALEX HE IS A HARD WORKER AND HE GETS RESULTS. ALEX IS A BOOK WORM WHO BELONGS BEHIND A DESKS SOMEWHERE.
    HE WILL BE A GOOD PLAY CALLER FROM THE SIDELINES. OH AND “CHARLIE DON EVER DIRESPECT AARON ROGERS AGAIN, HE HAS A STRONGER ARM THAT ALEX AND MORE SPEED AND ATHELETICSM. I WISH WE HAD DRAFTED HIM INSTEAD.

26. By G49d on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Boogie man all the good qbs have had a good qbs to learn from for a couple years. Arron Rogers had Brett to learn from. And I’m sure you can’t for get this one Steve Young had what’s his name Joe knows superbowls to learn from. Don’t u think that if Alex had one or to years behind on of them he would have picked up more quicker. Not to mention that our oline was not that strong as they seem to be now. We were one play away from the playoffs last year which was that play that Brett made at the end of the Vickings game.

27. By tito on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

im hope alex can do it cause if not…we are right back to rebuilding and im tired

28. By Monte McCray on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I am a die hard 49ers fan I have been a fan since 1986. I am starting to feel the excitement around the team that I experienced in the late 80’s early 90’s when we were winning the division. I believe this is gonna be the best season we have had since 02. i am excited about having Mike Singletary as our coach. He is a God fearing man and also a great leader. With that being said let’s go niners

29. By chet on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Alright with the Nate Davis garbage. He is not ready. I know this guy has a big following but alex is our qb and the coaches know what they are doing. Alex is getting comfortable in the offense and with all the other one’s in there he will be alright this year.

30. By chet on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Brian your spelling needs some work

31. By Kahuna on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

David Carr should start, way better mind for this system. Nate Davis should back him up……..send Alex Smith on his way…….wasted too much time, money, and patients on this kid. He might be smart off the field, but sure is stupid on the field. DAVID CARR NEEDS TO START! Been calling this since they picked him up.

32. By niner die hard on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Brian boogie im right with u alex has had many chances. Last year he got his job took by hill and shouldn’t have got it back. I have a high football iq and I can c carr already can b just as productive as smith. But nate is a beast. Did everyone that is talkn bout nate not learning the off 4 get he is dislexsick? He has things alex can’t learn like armstength and pocket presence. Give nate more time wit the first team n practice and start him n the game. Confidence does a lot 4 a young man as well. R d is going 2 have 2 save us again like last year with alex.. ….playoffs are here. Niner nation stand up

33. By 9ersrulecali on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

ITS A MAKE OR BREAK YEAR FOR ALEX,IN MY OPINION.HES GOT WHAT IT TAKES,INJURIES HAVE SIDELINED HIM FOR MOST OF HIS TIME HERE IN SAN FRAN.NO MORE EXCUSES,ALEX IS THE MAN.WEVE GOT A GREAT O-LINE,GREAT DEFENSE,THE SAME DEFENSE THAT LAST YEAR DID NOT LET PEYTON THROW A TD WOW!THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE 9ER NO DOUBT.

34. By papaspider on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Coach Singeltary has done a great job with what He inherited from Mr & Mrs York, He is starting to shape this team into a new (Hit them in the mouth) dyNASTY, I trust that when the time comes He’ll make the right moves (ask Vernon Davis) Coach Singeltary knows how to get the best out of His players, If a QB change is needed I have no doubt He’ll make the change. I’m a fan of Davis, but I don’t want to see him end up like Plunket when He was with Pat’s, We got a potentiality solid “O” line, let them gel, then see what happens. If Smith can keep from throwing the ball behind open recievers, the Team should be Ok till Davis is ready. protection protection protection!!!! Eddie “D” for Hall of Fame

35. By Pattytheirishlass on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks niner die hard, that’s the best cheer I have heard in a long time. I agree that Nate can do great job as quarter back. Just because he has a learning disabilty does not mean he is incapable of learning. There are many people in the world out there that maintain jobs and succeed with this infliction. Give the guy a chance and let’s see what he can do. I think he has what it takes and it is obvious he loves the game and would do anything to help his team do what it takes to survive and win. Hill, I’m not so sure about. Did you see his and Carr’s amazement at what Davis did. I think they are both running a little scared. I think Hill doesn’t want to get hurt and will do anything to avoid it. That’s a shame because some times as a QC you might have to take a few punches. Hill needs to grow a pair and step up like a man.

36. By b on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know how you see great things from nate davis in the preseason, but he wasn’t very good against the vikes with more playing time. he did have that one nice pass where ginn was so open j russell could have found him. Singletary has even called davis out saying he isn’t dedicated. our running game will be much improved adding the 2 330 lb ol. just don’t know if they will be that good at pass protectiong already have seen both of them struggle at times. the o is all about timing and it looks like they are all coming together lets hope anyway. Show em up Alex..all those haters and trolls.

37. By Jereal on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Man i can’t wait till regular season game i mean the pre season has been real good but man tonight against the raiders is gonna be a test..

38. By NinerRob on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

BRODY, you are absolutely 100% right with your thoughts on Alex Smith, our offensive line looks eager and ready to win, our defense is ferocious, and our wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends look great, (even though it’s preseason…and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string are in and out of the mix). However, anytime a team has a questionable QB it can make or break you regardless of the talent around you. Alex Smith can’t just hand the ball to Gore 100 times a game and hope to win, he has to be able to play tough, throw deep once in a while, play under center; instead of just the shotgun, and actually look like a leader instead of a lost kid. David Carr plays well at times and looks like a veteran, but takes a lot of sacks. Nate Davis appears to be the best QB to lead this team because he has all of the winning QB traits except for enough experience, and no QB has that without being given a chance.

39. By Huge 49er fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have been one of the “49er Faithful” since 1968 and the belief is that we are part of the team. The twelfth man on the field. We share the victories and the defeats. Even though a player doen’t produce because it’s not his fault that he was put in a bad situation, if the team stands with Alex, I stand with Alex till they say different. Everything else is there now and he’s been in the same system for 2 years. Time to shine or show something and stop underthrowing receivers Alex or NFL will stand for “Not for long”. I pray that the team stays healthy and has a great season. Niner fan forever. GO NINERS!!!