Nedney Gives Lesson to Aspiring Kicker

Posted by Taylor Price on May 6, 2010 – 3:01 PM

Although Anthony Nunez’ 14th birthday is on Friday, the Tracy native received an early birthday gift in the form of a personal kicking lesson from 49ers kicker Joe Nedney.

Nunez’ father Randy purchased the training session in support of the 49ers Foundation during a visit to the team’s annual Celebrity Winter Fest in Lake Tahoe. With Anthony approaching his freshman year at Tracy High School, Randy wanted to get his son the best coaching around, as well as contribute to a valuable cause like the 49ers Foundation which focuses on keeping kids safe, on track and in school.

After Anthony’s kicking tutorial concluded, Randy marveled over the experience he and his son were able to have. During the hour-long kicking session on the 49ers practice fields, the 15-year NFL veteran gave the aspiring kicker numerous tips on how to play his position.

“I’m pretty excited because it could take me a long way,” Anthony said. “But I’d have to decide between baseball and kicking, but still, it’s been a pretty good experience with the 49ers.”

In addition to the time spent on the field, Anthony also received Nedney’s home No. 6 jersey, which the veteran kicker happily signed at the conclusion of the lesson.

“It’s nice to be out here with a kid who wants to learn,” Nedney said. “I felt he was a sponge, listening to everything I would say. Hopefully a little bit of technique help and a little words of wisdom will help him out and maybe down the road he’s playing in the NFL, comes back and thanks me!”

Tags:
Posted in Uncategorized | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Nedney Gives Lesson to Aspiring Kicker”

1. By Aaron Davidson on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Well what if he winds up being a 49er kicker in the future! If that were to happen?

2. By ragomez3 on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Kudos to Joe! That is the kind of action that brings great support from the community. The boy will never forget it and will be a fan of the 49ers (and Joe) for life!

3. By Chase on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Great to see!! This is the kinda stuff I love seeing revolve around the 49ers community. It’s one thing to be a great player in this league, but it’s even better when the players recognize we are there cheering for THEM! Nedney, you’ve been a highlight for the 49ers offense for the past 3 years – keep it up!

4. By ozzy on May 7, 2010 | Reply

I wish I can get linebacker lessons from willis. Lol

5. By dude on May 7, 2010 | Reply

We have the coolest kicker in the league.

6. By Rick on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Right, choice between baseball or kicking. Anything else isn’t an option.

7. By Tiffiny on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Joe is a class act all the way!
    And the Niners are going all the way this year!:)

8. By Nancy on May 8, 2010 | Reply

Joe,
    I think you are awesome and a real tribute to the profession. I often speak with your junior high teacher at Herman and we reflect about those days. It is great when we see one of our students become so successful With you taking time with this young man, it reinforces what we do each day. . try to make a difference. Thank you for all you do and for being a strong and successful Niner. Have awonderful season. As i sit in the stands, I will be watching you and the rest of the team win.

9. By Phillis on May 8, 2010 | Reply

Scotts Valley loves Joe! Nice to see him helping out, like he normally does every year.