Boone Embodies Offseason Work Ethic

Posted by Taylor Price on May 1, 2010 – 2:12 PM

At this time last year, Alex Boone was one of many undrafted free agents working to showcase his talents to the 49ers coaching staff at his first NFL minicamp. What made it even more difficult was the extra weight the former Ohio State tackle was carrying on his 6-foot-7 frame.

Oh, how things can change in a year, especially when you’ve been involved with a professional football team for 365 days.

The current Alex Boone is a lot lighter, thanks to dedicated eating and training habits. Boone’s new physique has also caught the eye of his offensive coordinator, who marveled over the second-year player’s transformation when speaking to the media Saturday afternoon.

“Tremendous,” Jimmy Raye said of Boone’s new-look on the practice fields. “Probably to the layman’s eye, it’s obvious he’s changed his body. His conditioning is better.”

Raye said the toned exterior has allowed Boone to play with more control from what he’s seen during the 49ers rookie minicamp, in which Boone is participating to help mentor the 49ers young linemen.

For Boone, the best part of being in better shape is being able to feel comfortable during practice.

“I’m not out of breath at all. I can run down the field and still joke about stuff. I really think everything has paid off.”

Raye also pointed out Boone as a model for how young players can improve with a year of experience in pro football.

“Look at him today after being a part of the program for a year and being in the (offseason) weight program. The people we’re working with have the same opportunity to flourish to that point, then you have something.”

Boone credited his change to the work he’s done with 49ers strength and conditioning coach Duane Carlisle in the team’s offseason conditioning program.

“I think I’ve done a great job of focusing on my conditioning this offseason and Coach Carlisle is putting through us through a great regiment. It’s definitely paying off right now.”

Boone’s constant offseason training has helped him tremendously so far, and will only help as he makes his case to stick on the 49ers 53-man roster and not just on the practice squad like he did in 2009.

“Everything has been paying off, doing cardio all day, and constantly working out,” he said. “You don’t really see the light of the tunnel when all you’re doing is working out. But when I got out on the field, everything was easier and I felt so much better.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Boone Embodies Offseason Work Ethic”

1. By Phil on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I applaud Alex Boone on his dedication and hard work during the offseason. Keep up the hard work, it will sure pay off this season!!!

2. By Mike on May 1, 2010 | Reply

good job Boone!! Get after it big fella. make the team’s 53 and let’s see you on the sidelines this year!!

3. By John K on May 1, 2010 | Reply

That is great Alex. Keep it up. I sure hope you can make the 53 man roster. God knows they need lineman. And with all your hard work your dreams may come true.

4. By Cleveland Mike on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Alex….aim high and kick some butt. Folks are rooting for you to be the opening day RT. No slow feet for you. Strive to be The Best. You can do it.

5. By marc5points on May 1, 2010 | Reply

GREAT JOB BOONE!!!

6. By Bruce F. on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Outstanding! Boone came in last year with size and talent. Was a terrific lineman in College and has the tools to make it in the pros. It looks as if his head is in the right place. He has the potential to be a long term starter for the 49ers offensive line where the 49ers have been weak for years. If you can’t win in the trenches your chances of winning at all are almost zero.

7. By JB on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Great efforts Boone, I hope your running over linebackers come opening day. I know frank will sure appreciate you.

8. By Jesus R Garcia on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Thats awesome. I feel if Boone cant start at RT with his size and new physique he can be a great guard, reminds me of Gallery from the Raiders, didnt work out to well at Takle but when he was converted to guard with his size alone he did a really good job at run blocking. Our line is looking really good so far on paper
    LT-Staley 6’5 315 25 yrs old Sims
    LG Iupati 6’5 331 22 yrs old Bass
    C- Heitman 6’3 312 30 yrs old
    RG- Boone 6’7 330 22 yrs old Rachal
    RT- Davis 6’5 325 21 yrs old Sims

9. By uncleG on May 2, 2010 | Reply

GOOD JOB BABY!!!!!!!!

10. By Barrie on May 2, 2010 | Reply

With hard work, discipline and faith you can make it anywhere. I’m proud of the new example you have chosen to set for yourself and others. Stay strong Alex, we believe in you.

11. By Matt on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Man, I love that o-line list that Garcia posted. It’ll be our own personal Golden Gate. Opens for Gore and Dixon, slams shut for everyone else.

12. By Jesus R Garcia on May 3, 2010 | Reply

No disrespect to Rachal or Bass their also some serious beef.( In regards to my earlier posting) Before the season starts the coaches will know who’s the right man for the O-Line job. These group of lineman we have I feel will be better than the Cowgirls line of the 90′s. I cant wait for this season. Go Niners!!!!!!!

13. By dude on May 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW. That P90X really works.

14. By jirms on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Tough competition this year on the offensive line. Looking forward to seeing Boone play.

15. By roy on May 5, 2010 | Reply

dedication then some

16. By D-MONEY on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I excited to see what GORE can do with a LINE. I think A.Davis will help, M.LUPATI is going to be a BEAST. Last year was frustrating to see GORE get stuffed soon as he gets the hand off. It ALEX’s turn to step and be a LEADER no more EXCUSES or hand over the reins to NATE DAVIS. I would like to see NATE in blow out games to give him some experience in games, and to see what he can do. Next year we can get a pass rusher, shutdown corner, a scat back with SPEED to complement our backs…Cant wait for the SEASON to START!!!

17. By Brada on May 10, 2010 | Reply

Your dedication to be the best on the pratice squad will transfer into the season as a starting guard. Keep up the conditioning and we will be cheering you all on during the season, because let’s face it, you big guys up front is what makes a great team go far. I know that we will be a threat this year in the NFC conference. Watch out here comes our San Francisco 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!