Sims: ‘It’s great to be back’

Posted by Taylor Price on March 23, 2010 – 2:55 PM

After signing a one-year deal on Tuesday, veteran tackle Barry Sims has returned to the 49ers for a third season. Sims was a hot commodity this offseason as reports had him being targeted by several NFL teams. But in the end, Sims felt home was where his heart was, and that’s with his teammates in San Francisco.

Following a nine-year stint with the Oakland Raiders, Sims crossed the Bay Area and found a home with the 49ers in 2008. The relationships built along the way were too hard for Sims to ignore. In the end, the chance for more playing time elsewhere couldn’t compete with the developing relationship Sims has in the Bay Area with his teammates.

“When you go away, it was a real eye-opening experience just to see that you have to re-establish relationships with everybody and I would really miss the guys here in San Francisco,” Sims said in a conference call with Bay Area reporters. “We have such a great group of guys, especially on the offensive line. I really look forward to working with those guys.”

Below you can read the highlights of Sims’ conference call with Bay Area reporters. You can also listen to the interview here.

On whether he sees himself in the swing tackle role that he had last season:
“Yes, I assume that would be the case, to provide depth and with my experience, be able to play both sides and really help the younger guys develop a little quicker.”

On the 49ers possibly using a first round pick on an offensive lineman:
“Well, I’ve always tried my best to guess in these situations of what’s going on, but I’m usually never right. If they do draft an offensive lineman, we would love to have him and I like working with the young guys and just try to mentor them a little bit like some of the older guys did for me when I first got into the league because it’s a lot different from college. To have someone who’s been there and done that to really take you in and show you how things work and how it’s supposed to go, it’s a fun role to have.”

On whether he was pleasantly surprised with his play after T Joe Staley went down with an injury:
“I wasn’t surprised. I’ve been a starter my whole career, so I didn’t have the big eyes. It wasn’t a concern from that standpoint, and as a backup, you really have to prepare yourself like you are going to play at any given time. In that case it just so happened, in the Indianapolis game, on the first play of the game. I was ready to go regardless of what happened. I think being a veteran and having that experience really helped me. I didn’t ever doubt myself at any point.”

On whether he’s gotten a feel for offensive line coach Mike Solari and how things might change from the past two seasons:
“I’ve talked to him a number of times on the phone and I met with him today. I really like the guy. I like his approach, working in the room with us as a line. I’m excited for where that goes. He’s got a great track record as an offensive line coach and has coached many good players. So, I’m excited to see that. Playing a new offensive line coach is not always easy, but sometimes when you play for guys that have been around a lot of great players, they bring a lot to the table just because of what they’ve seen. Maybe what they’ve taught or seen from somebody else that they can teach you that can take you to the next level. So I’m real excited about that.”

On whether they will be doing more zone blocking than they did under former offensive line coach Chris Foerster:
“That remains to be seen. I really don’t know to that extent. Today was the first time I met him in person. We still have a ways to go before training camp and before we get all our systems in place. You know never what’s going to happen as the offense goes, working with the guys to see what works best. It’s hard to say at this point.”

On whether it was a group meeting with the entire offensive line:
“Yes, I met with the whole offensive line. It’s great to be back in the room with those guys. It’s been a couple months since we’ve all been together so it’s always fun to get back into a routine working out and spending time with those guys.”

Tags:
Posted in Uncategorized | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Sims: ‘It’s great to be back’”

1. By David Likey on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

This is indeed good news! Sims has grown solid on our line.

2. By Romeo Sagastume on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Nice stability and experience on the front line. Now lets draft a OT so Sim’s can groom him. Go 49ers!

3. By ARMANDO on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

great to have Sims,now lets get that missing piece ,and another running back ,we should have a very good season -just three good ,solid draft picks and we are gone to the races……

armando

4. By Jo on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Who ever is in control of who goes where on the roster, Consider letting Sims take the RT position as a starter with Joe Staley on the LT that would be a pretty solid line without a 1st round OLineman right or wrong?

5. By AZNINERNUT on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

BRANDON MARSHALL , CRABTREE, DAVIS , GORE .. NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

6. By jose on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

man i cant wait till the 2010 season 49ers guranteed at least 10-6 nfc west champions screw the seahawks

7. By Diana123 on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree sims at RT and joe stayley at LT that would be a good thing. sims did a really good job as LT when joe staley got hurt.. i cant wait till the draft im exited to see who we get.. i Have a felling 2010 is going to be a good year.

8. By Marcey Metcalf on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

We still need a QB…..and a Safety…..and an Offensive Line…and a……COACH who doesn’t believe in smash mouth football. It has never been our style Niner Fans…during the 70′s we had Brodie and Spurrier…the 80′s Montana..the 90′s Young and Garcia. Since then???? OK…let’s just collectively sigh and say outloud together….”NOBODY!” Aaron Rogers was available when we drafted Smith and we all know how that turned out. Draft Tebow please and bring some excitement back to this faltering franchise.

9. By Lisa on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

It’a really a good news.Sims ability to play both sides is super helpful in figuring out the back end of the roster and, clearly, if he has to start at any point he is capable. Great re-signing.The best part is Sims acknowledgment of his potential role and how he could fit in to the 49ers 2010 plans with the potential implications of next month’s draft.SF 49er jersey. The 49ers certainly hope he rarely sees the field in 2010, but given his 2009 performance the 49ers have a great depth guy.Sims made seven starts in place of Joe Staley at left tackle last season when the promising young player was sidelined with a knee injury. He’s made 15 starts over two seasons with the Niners and, at worst, the team will have a solid veteran swing tackle.

10. By faithfulmeister on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Good move to keep Sims as a mentor. But I still think we need another OT and G in the first 3 rounds. O-line is the biggest chance to improve, and will make or break the 9ers topping the NFC West. Go 9ers!

11. By Chris (EPT) on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I can see how Brandon Marshall could be that missing link to our offense but knowing mike singletary and his mindset, he’d prefer to draft a linemen to solidify the offensive line.

12. By Tone on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

We get Haden with #11 pick, give up #17 pick for B. Marshall trade 2nd round pick for McNabb and we are not only in playoffs, but possibly Superbowl!

13. By ObiJwon on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Barry Simms will be a good mentor to whichever young man we bring to the table via the draft. I can see him lining up on the right side this year. He did very well as a backup for us. Playing more like a starter than a “backup”. I have been hearing a lot about Brandon Marshall. In order to get him via trade, we would have to compensate a 1st and a 3rd round pick for him. Then he is going to want a HUGE contract. Is he worth that? I think we have a guy in Josh Morgan who is the same style of player as Marshall. All this talk about Marshall is a slap in the face to Morgan. He has done very well so far and he still has a lot of upside. Oh, do we need to talk about Marshall’s off the field issues? With him and crabs on the outside, and Jason Hill playing the slot… come on. JMHO of course. Go Niners!

14. By ObiJwon on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Barry Simms will be a good mentor to whichever young man we bring to the table via the draft. I can see him lining up on the right side this year. He did very well as a backup for us. Playing more like a starter than a “backup”. I have been hearing a lot about Brandon Marshall. In order to get him via trade, we would have to compensate a 1st and a 3rd round pick for him. Then he is going to want a HUGE contract. Is he worth that? I think we have a guy in Josh Morgan who is the same style of player as Marshall. All this talk about Marshall is a slap in the face to Morgan. He has done very well so far and he still has a lot of upside. Oh, do we need to talk about Marshall’s off the field issues? With Morgan and crabs on the outside, and Jason Hill playing the slot… come on. JMHO of course. Go Niners!

15. By tony on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think the niners should draft an OL in the first round. what they should draft is BIG PASS RUSHER DE/OLB. This is the area that they need to improve. They can get a OL in the second round # 49. The # 13 & # 17 first round pick should be a DE/OLB/FS. If they draft the OL in the first round, they are not going to play them right away anyway. OL still needs to learn the systems.

So, they need to draft DE/FS/OL/WR.

Go ninerssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ALL THE WAY TO SB.

16. By Mark Wilson on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

This is in regards to Marcey Metcalfs post. Marcey, Don’t jump the gun so much on us passing on Aaron Rogers in the draft. If we had drafted Rogers he would be much like Alex Smith. Banged up with a shaken confidence due to no line and Alex Smith would be lighting it up in Greenbay. its not the talent but the team the talent went to. We had no line and Mike Nolan threw him into the fray while Rogers stood back and learned under Favre. Think about what your saying. Its not too late for Smith Now that Nolan has departed.

Go Niners!!

17. By Greg A on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

The 49ers should swap their 2nd of two 1st round picks to the Eagles along with another 5-6th rd pick and go get McNabb. He’d be an upgrade at the position and make the Niners a serious playoff contender or more. Better than another 8-8 season with what they have now

18. By MCAZ4921 on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I can’t beleive we resigned this guy, sure hes a veteren but watch the tape and see how many times he gets beat, and beat badly. We need OT and DE with our first two picks. Barry Sims you gotta be kiddin me he’s so slow and bad knees to boot.

19. By ron on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

no brandon marshal, dez bryant will do nicelly. GO NINNERS.

20. By lholcomb on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

thanks mark wilson thats exactly what i was thinkin. Marcey and the rest of the Alex Smith haters need to realize hes the starting QB and give the fan support he deserves. He has had a bad run of luck with injuries and lack of talent around him. This year all the pieces are in place and hes goin to have a breakout year as long as he can stay upright with solid blocking from his o line.playoffs guaranteed with Singletarys will.

21. By Johnny Steffani on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Yeah,why hate on A.Smith???? This is the first time that he has the same OC…He showed a lot of promise last season when he took over the starting job…I dont think we should give up our picks for McNabb or Marshall…Keep our picks and get some young guys….We will win our Division for sure this year..

22. By bay_area_ninerfan on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

finally fans who know what hes saying most guys that went thru what alex did wouldnt be the same player but not only did he win back the starting job last year he showed improvement now is his chance to prove himself and i think he will so give the guy a fair chance before you start with all your hate same with josh hes solid and will only get better enough with the mcnabbs lor marshalls. i wouldnt mind dez however without having to reach for him though but yeah this super bowl has our name on it

23. By Berto on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

This is the defining season for Alex Smith. He either produces or he’ll have to go. Enough excuses and lets get’er done!! GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!