McCluster to Willis: “I hope he’s ready”

Posted by Scott Kegley on February 27, 2010 – 8:13 AM

Ole Miss running back Dexter McCluster is one of the more dynamic players in the draft.  Before taking handoffs, McCluster was also a receiver and return man.  In 2009, he rushed for 1,169 yards while tacking 520 yard through the air.

Apparently he also did one thing at Mississippi that not a lot of other people can claim – make three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis look “silly.”

“When I first got there [Willis] always called me Baby Hester,” McCluster recalled.  “I remember one time in 7-on-7, he was pursuing me at an angle and I did a jab step, got underneath him and made him look silly.  He took it easy on me in practice.  I was a young’un and he never really brought the wood to me so he protected me in a sense.”

McCluster has a 1 in 32 chance of having that same protection from his former Ole Miss teammate in the NFL.  However, McCluster said he won’t shy away if he see’s no. 52 heading straight for him on Sundays.

“I have a little more experience under my belt so I hope he’s ready.”

*** UPDATE (5:42 ET) I feel I should clarify that McCluster was having fun when he said this about his friend and former teammate.  Willis left this response on Twitter.

Tags:
Posted in Uncategorized | 42 Comments »

42 Responses to “McCluster to Willis: “I hope he’s ready””

1. By David williams on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Dexter that was practice even you said he protected you, well this is not practice anymore as matter of fact this is not college anymore. College is a bunch of almost men trying to act like men with no clue of what the real world is about. Welcome to the real world where respect is earned, Patrick has EARNED his respect.

2. By jakidin on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

why not just avoid him by joining the niners…..we need a return man bad

3. By 49er-4-life on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Dexter for all u know we might draft you and you wont have to worry about willis..lol

4. By michael on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

ive said this for a long time now! draft mccluster in the 2nd round!!! and in the 1st get our ot and hopefully rolando mcclain!!! that would be the dream draft!!!

5. By Jo on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

YEA WE NEED A RETURN SPECIALIST BAD……..

6. By Jesse Perriera on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Mcluster, you made him look silly…once. But last time I checked you are a rookie weighing about a buck nothing and P. Will is the best linebacker in the NFL. So I hope YOU’RE ready. You want a rematch punk? We’ll see how that goes haha. Would be a nice pick since we have a return problem, but C.J. Spiller would be better!

7. By michael on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

no, drafting cj spiller would be a bad pick… he’s great returner, but he should be one of the last guys we consider taking! like i said before, we need an ot and a defensive player withe 2 picks!

8. By alec on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

This kid should make a name for himself before he tries ti say he can take on the best LB in the NFL. He is going to be in for a rude awakening. I hope he is drafted to a team we play.

9. By Niners4Real on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Pick the best available player !!!! But definitelly pick a lineman and a secondary in the 1st round.

10. By AZNINERNUT on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

GOLDEN TATE THE SPEED WE NEED TO BE A DEEP THREAT PICK HIM FIRST THEN THAT FINE SAFETY FROM USC . YOU DONT WANT ROOKIE O LINEMEN STARTING WE WILL GET THEM IN FREE AGENCY . BE SIDES KURT IS GONE IN AZ WE WILL WIN OUR DIVISION , PLAYOFFS , AND DONT TELL ANYONE BUT I GOT A SECRET , I KNOW WHO WILL WIN THE SUPERBOWL ???? 49ers ….

11. By GC on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

This dude is obviously seeking attention by makin’ this comment. He’ll probably make it to the practice squad if he’s lucky. I do hope that Willis gets to meet him at the line of scrimmage if we ever play the team he’s on. It will be just like when Willis met A. Peterson at the line of scrimmage when we played the Vikings his rookie year. Willis put him on the ground!

12. By Scotty on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

one word “sproles” no point in blowing a draft pick when we already know hes a good return man.

13. By Rick Carroll on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Ha. this kid is funny. Yah, anybody can make a dude miss a tackle ONCE. Try the best out of 10, and see who gets the best. PATRICK WILLIS BABY. I hope we get a stud RT, then a SAFETY, or CB. Then get a Return Man, and Another SLOT reciever. Possibly another Running back. Coffee isnt the answer, and gore gets beat up tryin to put this team on his back. OT, SS, CB, RB, WR in that order. Hoo hoo. . .. . . . . . Myspace.com/t4mrocks check out the music people…

14. By BigD_Magee on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Please, who is this cat??? P-Willis will murder this clown, he’ll probably end up breaking this big mouths ribs like he did to Hasselbeck…I hope the sorry Cards or Seahawks draft him so he could end up in a wheelchair after Patrick Willis lays him out…

15. By Art on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Just Bring it

16. By Joel Nealy on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

This guy would be good for the niners…

respect Glen Coffee though, he will get better behind Gore. So we can use Dexter as a return man.

We need some Ball Hawks in that Secondary so QBs cant fling the ball around like that on us. We also need to have some Offensive lineman…we cant have Gore getting stuffed at the line like that it just isnt far to such a great Running ack and a talented guy like that.

17. By kev on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

mccluster its one time and in college! willis is in the pro’s and coached by one of the best linebackers in nfl history! and the leading tackler in 2009-2010 season and defensive rookie of the year. you better run away from willis because if he gets you, you are DONE!

18. By kev on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

thought after preseason, Coffee was going to be a good compliment back. but at end, nope! at least i think hes better than michael robinson, why can we not just waive robinson. not like hes good on special teams, too.

19. By AlexM32 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

McCluster would be nice to have…we need 4.4 speed runner but how about jahvid best who runs a 4.3 and is almost 30 pounds bigger

20. By Justin on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

WILLIS WILL KILL YOU HES A BEAST YOU BETTER HOPE WE DRAFT YA AFTER THAT COMMENT

21. By Adrian on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

This guys funny. You think you could take on the BEST LB in the NFL??? Patrick Willis is a freakin monster and you will look silly when hes done with you… if u can get up.

22. By Ninerman82 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I think that mccluster was kiddn, but whos gonna be laughn WHEN willis tears his *ss up lol. Willis ran down that wideout for the Panthers a few years ago, and he will do the same to any player. We definetely need a return man, and a safety. Cue- Spiller and Thomas, because Berry will be long gone.

23. By Franklin on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Dexter is a class act. I have watched him play in Oxford for the last 4 years and the guy just plays with extreme passion and selfishness. Both traits are seriously lacking in most NFL players. Being a teamate of P Willis was definitely going to come up and I seriously doubt Dex was trying to come off as cocky or arrogant in any way. He was just joking around. Settle down fans. Even though I live in MS I am a huge 49er fan. We would be lucky to have a player with the talent and character of Dex. MS and Ole Miss has been good to the 49ers. Jerry Rice, Patrick Willis, and I hope Dexter.

24. By misterconvo on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

WOW!!! is he serious.. college the nfl.. two different levels.. yea.. he better hope we draft him.. or it’s CURTIANS BABY.
    PWILLS.. IS A BEAST.. PERIOD..

25. By Chris (EPT) on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. McCluster will learn 1st hand the difference between college and the nfl when gets that first hit! Wham!! Just ask Reggie Bush lol! “I have a little more experience under my belt so I hope he’s ready.” -Dexter Mccluster… Thats like a chihuahua telling a rabid rottweiler, “Let’s get it on!”

26. By Mike on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

We need a OT like Trent Williams, and a bawl hawk like Earl Thomas in the first round. Get McCluster in the Second. Another CB in the third and a pass rusher in the 4th.

27. By Hawkamania on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

wow!!!! people think we should draft this guy? did anyone, anyone at all see his 40 time? people were comparing him to chris johnson not now he didn’t show me anything …OL, Saftey or CB,Mr.Spiller or another WR to give us legit targets…NOT McCluster he can be mediocre somewhere else!!!

28. By Bring Back EddieD! on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

There are very and I mean very small amount of 49ers that I hate, and one of them is Brandon Jones our punt returner. I wouldn’t mind McCluster, but he ain’t no first rounder on the Niners shopping list. We got our two picks in the first round, #13 and #17, and if we dont get a lineman and a safety then I truly hate Jed York.

29. By 5rings4us on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

You know what is the most waste of time in the NFL?THE COMBINE!!!!Yes thats right.QBs dont want to throw,some other guys dont want to run the 40,this guy or that guy dont want to do this or that,its a joke!!!!!Nobody remembers if it wasnt for a slow 40 time, we would not be able to say”THE GREATEST WIDE RECIVER EVER:MR JERRY RICE OF THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS”. Or ask Frank Gore,Super Joe,.They all wait until their PRO DAY,when all the conditions are right.Besides,not everyone is VERNON DAVIS!!!!!!!!!!

30. By Leo on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Remember Bill Walsh, never picked an Offensive lineman in the First round…First rounds are for RB / WR..second round for defense…then whatever….and even trade down….Games are won with 3rd,4th, 5th rounds PLAYERS! It worked remember SUPERBOWLS…

31. By Frankie on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

WILLIS IS A BEAST!!!!!!! CANT NOONE MAKE HIM LOOK SILLIY! I HAVENT SEEN ANYONE DO IT YET AS A MATTER OF FACT!!!

32. By cmac on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

i live in largo florida i remember watchin dex at largo high mr 2000 is what we call him everybody around here is real proud of him and real excited about his future and wouldnt rather have anybody else represent largo

33. By Dingus on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

This kid is guna get SMASHED when he meets willis in the NFL steven jackson cant do it NO WAY IN HELL mccluster can a punter can knock um out

34. By TBull on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

What we really need is a QB, you know one that doesnt SUCK!!!

35. By SUPERMANHIGH on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

watch out McCluster. you may be good but not as Beastrick willis

36. By Zac W on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

HAHA your tellin BAM-BAM to bring it? your slower, less agile, weaker, and weigh less. have fun bud. i would pay to see you go head up with P-Willie.

37. By Blake Stone on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Willis is a machine at this point, McCluster might get lucky once. However; McCluster is out of Ole Miss, good work ethic and runs hard. Would love to see him with the Niners. Now if we can just get a real quarterback, another O-Lineman, pass rusher and shore up the secondary, real #1 receiver then maybe we can make the playoffs again. GO NINERS!!!

38. By Diana123 on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

THERES NO WAY THAT WE COULD EVER MAKE PATRICK WILLIS LOOK SILLY HE BETTER HOPE HE ENDS UP WITH THE NINERS CUZ PW IS GOING TO MAKE AND EXAMPLE OUT OF HIM HAHA

39. By 49ers#1stunna on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

P-WILLIS IS DA MAN!!!!!! THIS CAT GOT A HIGH MOTOR AND PLAYS FROM SIDELINE TO SIDELINE AND ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN!!!!! McCLUSTER IS NOT READY FOR A BEAST LIKE P-WILLIS OR EVEN RAY LEWIS THESE CATS GO HARD EVERY DOWN AND THEY WILL LAY THE WOOD ON McCLUSTERS LIL ASS!!!!!

40. By 49ers#1stunna on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

GO NINERS!!!!!!! PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!!!! MIKE SINGLETARY IS THE TRUTH!!!!!! I LOVE THIS TEAM AND WE ARE GONNA RULE THE NFC WEST DIVISON IN 2010 AND NON OF OUR DIVISIONAL OPPONENTS CAN HANG WITH US!!!!!!!! COACH SINGLETARY, IF YOUR READING THIS OR EVEN P-WILLIS IF YOU GUYS ARE READING THIS REMEMBER DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS SO KEEP BUILDING UP THAT SIDE OF THE BALL!!!!!! BUILD A FORTRESS AND GET AFTER IT ON EVERY DOWN AND THIS TEAM CAN MAKE SOME NOISE THIS YEAR…..MAYBE BE LIKE THE BALTIMORE RAVENS OF A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN THEY HAD A STOUT “D” AND WON THE SUPERBOWL WITH LITTLE OFFENSE !!!!!!! LOCK P WILLIS UP FOR ANOTHER 6 YEARS HE DESRVES THE BIG MONEY!!!!!!!! LET’S GET IT IN 2010!!!!!! I’M FIRED UP ,YOU FIRED UP?

41. By 49ers#1stunna on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I, JUST READ P-WILLIS TWITTER BLOG!!!!!!! MCCLUSTER P-WILLIS IS NO JOKE!!!!! YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR HEAD ON SWIVEL IF WE PLAY YOUR TEAM CUZ P -WILLIS BRINGING THE WOOD!!!!! THUNK BEFORE YOU SPEAK ROOKIE!!!!!!

42. By 49ers#1stunna on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I TYPED IT WRONG I MEANT THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK ROOKIE!!!!!!