• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

McCloughan Praised by Mentor

Posted by Scott Kegley on February 26, 2010 – 9:38 AM

When GM Scot McCloughan was asked on Thursday who had influenced his draft philosophy the most, he gave three names – his father, former Packers GM Ron Wolf and the current GM of the Packers, Ted Thompson.

“I learned a lot from all of them,” McCloughan said.  “Never lose sight of a good football player.  It’s not just the production and the tape and all that but the person himself – the character, the passion, the intelligence. Life’s short in this business. And if you have a vision, stick with it.”

McCloughan’s vision has been cultivated throughout his career.  He first worked with Thompson as an area scout in Green Bay from 1994-2000 and then in Seattle as the Director of College Scouting from 2001-2005.

In his current role as the head man in San Francisco, McCloughan is still close with Thompson, who had nothing but compliments for his former protogé when I asked about him on Friday.

“Scot’s a grinder,” Thompson said.  “I think he’s done a marvelous job if you look at his drafts.  They’ve been solid every year.  He’s gotten some outstanding Pro Bowl players through the draft, which isn’t as easy as some people might think it is.  He’s accumulated draft picks and he has two [first round picks] this year.  I think we both have a strong belief that you build your team through the draft.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Breaking News | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “McCloughan Praised by Mentor”

1. By Smuman on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Bill Walsh or McLoughan…who would you rather have in the draft room???
    Until my 49ers win another SB, he’s got nothing.

2. By TIM on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Bill Parcels and Mike Holmgren and Ron Wolfe have all said the same as Thompson and more ,about what a great GM McGloughan will make in this League !
    Scotty is still very young and has only been our GM for 2 years and has us on the way to great things ! He was given a grade of A by ESPN in the 2009 draft and he has us in a great position in the 2010 draft because of his great trade last year that got us an extra #1 this season !!! Just imagine how good he will become with more experience in the job !!!
    We are set for a while with Jed as owner and Scott as GM and Sing as HC,the future looks bright !!! Especially when Nate Davis gets up to speed and takes over from alex !

3. By Andrew on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Smuman,

You and all the other 49er fans like you need to get off it. This is no longer the Bill Walsh era, we don’t have Montana, Craig or Rice, we are no longer in the 80s or 90s. we had a great run during those decades, but the 49ers aren’t that team anymore. It takes a few years to build a winner and they’ve made some mistakes in the building process in the last six years, but I think the niners are turning it around and may have something this year. So give the top brass a chance and let’s see if they can do something this year

4. By Steve on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Andrew, perfectly said my brother!

5. By NinerDude on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I have an idea: Let’s look to the future and stop living in the past. Walsh, Montana, Young, Rice, Craig, Dean, Reynolds, Jones, Lott, Clark, Hicks, Hanks, Siefert, etc…..I love all of those guys, but Sing, Scotty, and Crew have something going…..FINALLY. I’m as excited as I’ve been in years about the Niners. As long as those guys are here, we WILL be contenders again. Let ém work it out. GO NINERS.

6. By Tom on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Scot, With Your 2nd year managing the team I think u have made great contributions to the 49ers foundation I hope this time you pick-up another star Tackle for our O-line. And Our Safety issues need to be addressed as well. Good luck in this years draft!

7. By Stevie Gurr on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

…I prefer the patient route,and there’s been misses,but hit’s too!!!…I agree that we’re long gone from the Walsh era,but you just can’t forget the way it felt to be a fan of those teams if you were around and conscious…generally,I’m not that much of a Pro Football fan these days,BUT,I can be pulled back in…I know that can be interpreted as being a “fair weather”fan,fair enough,but the team is part of this native San Franciscan’s DNA,so I’ll truly never be that far away,so,Go ‘Niners!!!…

8. By London_9er on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

GM – Scott is doing a great job!!!Jed York,Samurai & Mike ,all three of them make a perfect team.l see ourselves winning the NFC West division for at least the next 2-3 seasons-Period!!!

9. By wooley on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Right on Andrew. Please, enough of the fortywhining. Let’s support who we have, and that means our quarterback. Sometimes they don’t play past the first play of the season. I am believing that we don’t want to see that with Smith. He and Raye are going to bring it on this year! Go NINERS!!

10. By FaithfulManSince'88 on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex will be a lot better this year with the same OC and same personnel for each position on offense. I just hope these guys are ready to get back to work in March for offseason workouts and practices.

Our defense can only get better, so I’m not worried about them and lets not forget to pick up a speedy return man, we really need one of those.

11. By LauraB on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Let’s support Alex and waste some more money for tickets this year. He will never be a starting QB on any team in the NFL.

Scot needs to get an experienced QB, pay whatever it takes and get us back to the Super Bowl.

Nate Davis would easily win the starting job if he was played. We should have played him last year and I guarantee he would have won more games than Alex Smith.

Again, why pull a 3-1 quarterback when the offensive coordinator was calling all running plays and expecting results, which by the way Shawn actually won anyway and basically had us in the playoffs with those divisional wins.

And in Philadelphia when Alex threw all those interceptions, why didn’t Singletary pull him out at halftime so we could have had a much better chance to be in the playoffs as the Eagles were playing poorly that night? I guess the same reason he let Brett Farve back on the field and lost the Minnesota game which was also one that should have been in the win column.

Scot as the General Manager and Jed as the Owner have the responsibility of hiring capable coaches and players. Quite frankly, they have yet to have a winning season. Case closed.

PS-Look at all of the excellent head coaches that were available last year (and many are still available now), as well as Warner and Farve who “wanted too much money” while they both ended up in the playoffs is absolutely ridiculous. This would have never happened on Eddie’s dime.

12. By Joe on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I want to take a different tract than the above post. Having been a fan for a while I’ve had a chance to enjoy some great seasons as a fan. Last season we seemed to be just about three plays away from an 11-5 season: two defensive plays and a special teams one. The QB is responsible for his play but not those three. I am anticipating a much better season this next year. Go niners!

13. By TIM on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Laura,I agree with you for the most part about alex,but just about everything else you wrote is nonsense,imho.