1981 NFC Championship to be Re-Aired

Posted by Taylor Price on December 22, 2009 – 12:44 PM

On Christmas Eve, Thursday, December 24 at 8:00 PM ET with an encore at 10:00 PM PT, NFL Network will televise for the first time since its original airing one of the most historic playoff games in league history, as NFL Classic Games encores the 1981 NFC Championship Game between the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers.

In a matchup of teams with the best regular-season records in the NFL, the San Francisco 49ers hosted the Dallas Cowboys in the 1981 NFC Championship Game on January 10, 1982. In one of the most iconic plays in NFL history, San Francisco receiver Dwight Clark caught the game winning six-yard scoring pass from Joe Montana with 51 seconds remaining as the 49ers won 28-27. It was the sixth and final lead change in this back-and-forth game.

The 49ers won Super Bowl XVI two weeks later. It was the first of San Francisco’s four Super Bowl titles in the 1980s.

This NFL Classic Games telecast features the complete CBS broadcast with announcers Vin Scully and Hank Stram calling the action along with all of the network’s original graphics.

Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 22 Comments »

22 Responses to “1981 NFC Championship to be Re-Aired”

1. By jo on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

THOSE GUYS WERE A REALLY TALENTED GROUP OF PLAYERS RIGHT THERE! HATSOFF TO THOSE GUYS! TO BAD WE DONT HAVE PLAYERS LIKE THOSE ANYMORE.

2. By Clypse on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

No players like them? The only thing we need to become them is a QB, and an O-line.

3. By R.F. on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Didn’t Montana throw 4 interceptions that game and the offense had 6 turnovers in all. While “The Catch” will be always associated with lunching the 49ers into NFL lore, less we forget that game saving tackle at mid-field after the Niners scored and the sack/fumble/recovery that clinched it. If it wasn’t for those two plays…

D-#####! D-#####!

4. By Vahan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Too bad I was five years from being born to witness that, but what Niner fan doesn’t know of it.

5. By Vahan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I will definitely be watching this one.

6. By Daniel on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I seen it with my eyes. It was one of those happy childhood days. Joe Montana was and is still the best QB out there. I have super tecmo bowl on nintendo . It has all of them on it. Lott, Rice, Craig, John T, Tom R, Steve Y, Joe M, Micheal Carter, You name them they are on there. I would not sell it for anything. I had cards of all of the team when I was little. My little brother put them out side in the rain. I will always be a 49er fan.

7. By efren on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

go niners

8. By NinerFanforLife on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I was sitting in my car at a red light listening to the game on the radio somewhere in San Mateo when Clark caught that ball. Every car in the area starting honking their horns. I cried, I was so overwhelmed. GO NINERS!!!

9. By Chris (EPT) on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Echenle ganas niners!!

10. By Johne on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Telll Mike Singletary to have all of his team have a “Mandatory Viewing” of this one…I was there…it don’t get much better…end of story!! Niner forever!!

11. By SF9erfan4life on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Man! This brings back memories. I was 8 years old and this is when I became a 49ers fan. The 1981 Super Bowl team is my favorite from all five and I have had the honor to meet some of them like Fred Dean, Dan Bunz, Eric Wright, Keena Turner and Dwight Clark. This is how team football was played and started the era of 49ers greatness.

12. By dan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

why can’t we get back to those days, when we where winning games and not talking about next year,next year. how about NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!LETS WIN!!!!!

13. By Bill Jr on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Talk about memories…I went to both playoff games at the stick in 81..The Giants and Cowboys…I was 10 years old sitting in the opposite end zone that Clark cought “the catch” I’ll be watching…All we are missing now is the franchsie QB…To bad Mariucci passed on Drew Breeze and took the LB Peterson, things would be allot different around here in 49er land,and by the way Walsh quit the 49ers (working as a draft consultant) when Mariucci passed on Breeze….

14. By Mike on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Unlike so many “newbie” fans. I had been a Niner since 1965 when this game was played. That is why I don’t panic about our current team, we are on the right track, just like the 1980 team.

15. By Jeremy on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I was ten and just getting into football watching games with my dad when this happened. I remember thinking the whole time the niners had no chance — nothing seemed to go their way the whole game. Then Montana just turned it on. I was ten and I still remember how Montana just seemed to change right there. Looking back I would call it a swagger — earlier in the game he was just there, but late in that game he walked like he knew something the other team didn’t. And when they scored my dad and I hollered and screamed. In the last couple of seconds of the game they just stole it away. One of my favorite childhood memories for sure.

16. By curtis searcy on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

great game. My jr year in high school. Also my brithday. The day i becane a niner fan. I LOVE U 49ers. we are on our way back to the top.

17. By Steve on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

THIS is the team that all future 49er teams should strive to be. These guys went from 2-14 to Super Bowl winners in TWO FRIGGIN’ YEARS.

18. By MrCotija on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I wonder who’s going to win… lol.

We have the same TYPE of players that we did back then, we just have to get them working together and get points on the board.

Franks one of our best rushers ever, vernon davis just broke the TE record for most TD’S AND RECIEVING YARDS in a season, and Crabtree is just talent waiting to happen.

I think we’re getting to where we want to be.

19. By Mike on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I was also 8 when this game took place. I still get goosebumps whenever I see a photo or film of Clark making The Catch.

20. By Joseph Lopes on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I believe that we have an excellent running game and that our receivers are talented and will be force to watch out for in the future but until we get a good and stable quarterback I do not belive that this team will make it to the playoffs or even to the superbowl.

21. By Richard on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Six tunrovers 3 int’s by montana AND THEY STILL PULLED IT OUT. that last drive was BILL WALSH THE GRAND MASTER !

22. By John Davis on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

I was there that day, and I was sitting in those seats below the scoreboard for “The Catch.” I still get chills just thinking about it all and the roar of that crowd after that play. What a moment in time. This was when the 49er’s path to glory began and nothing would ever be the same for the 49er organization. I hope the NFL Network shows this game every year for Christmas Eve. It will be our newest and best family tradition for the holidays.