Monday’s Locker Room Talk

Posted by Taylor Price on November 30, 2009 – 6:19 PM

Moments after Mike Singletary thoroughly explained how several members of the offense met with him last week to express opinions about the offense’s direction – players in the locker room were also asked to comment.

But according to quarterback Alex Smith the matter was blown out of proportion.

“This is not something that is new. It’s always been there,” Smith explained. “I know a lot has been made of this – I just think with the more you play in an offense – the better you play in that system.”

Smith said that Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye’s office doors have always been open for players to express themselves. Those visits picked up, ever since the 49ers used more of a shotgun attack in the second half of the Green Bay game. From that point on, the offense grew increasingly excited about its potential in a spread attack.

With players communicating that with the coaching staff, Smith said it spoke volumes about the steps the team has taken recently.

“I think the more comfortable we get with things, you’re going to get a little more input to maybe what you like, maybe what you think you can do. I just think that comes with growth, with experience.”

Tight end Delanie Walker also felt those discussions were critical.

“It says a lot. Our philosophy is that we’re a family. We’ve been a family since training camp. Now it’s just bringing us together even more. You tell a couple guys something. Then one of them goes up there for the offensive team. Then a change comes around and we have a great change and can win games in the spread offense. I think it brings us together closer.”

More Monday Notes

-Singletary announced the following injury report at the conclusion of his press conference, something he normally opens with. “[WR] Josh Morgan: Hip contusion, taking it day-to-day he should be fine.  [DT] Kentwan Balmer: Right shoulder sublex, his shoulder went out, went back in and that’s day-to-day. [LB] Parys Haralson: thumb contusion and [S] Curtis Taylor is having an MRI today: hip strain.

-Singletary again was pleased with the play of his quarterback. “Alex Smith, I thought, did a very nice job,” he explained. “I thought he took a big step yesterday. This is an offense that he talked about and envisioned and was able to step in and not just talk about it but produce, find receivers, have a blitzing linebacker or end coming right at him and still focus downfield and make a throw.”

-Singletary said Smith’s two best throws were on a fourth-and-one pass to Vernon Davis for a 30-yard gain and an incomplete pass to Michael Crabtree in the back of the end zone. “He made some really nice throws yesterday. The one throw to Vernon on the fourth-and-one was outstanding. He didn’t even break stride. Of course, the possible touchdown to Crabtree, that was an outstanding throw. So, he’s really doing some things that are very nice to see.”

-Singletary was asked again about his philosophy in using a spread attack, to which he replied, “I just feel like going forward, it’s just a matter of continuing to look at our offense and look at what helps us win. I think there are a lot of philosophies out there. I’m hearing a lot about, well, the philosophy should be to throw the ball more. Sometimes, it’s run the ball. The only thing I can say is this: My overall philosophy is to win.

“I think that’s the thing that I’ve said from the very beginning. I want to win. I think it’s one thing when you look at this is what I’d like to do, but I think you have to look at what you have and go with that, make the most of it, and be excited about having it. To me, that’s what I am. I talked many times about when we run the ball, I want to run the ball. I don’t want to tip-toe. I don’t want do any of those things. I want to hit people. I want to go forward and I want to run the ball. When we pass the ball, I want to do the same thing. I want to see our receivers going downfield and adding on, hitting somebody. Don’t just look at the guy. Run with the ball. Go hit somebody. To me, that’s what it’s all about. That’s football. So, that’s not going to change.”

-Singletary complimented the play of offensive line which gave up zero sacks against the Jaguars. In particular, he singled out the right side with guard Chilo Rachal and tackle Adam Snyder and left tackle Barry Sims.

-Lastly, Singletary said that starting left tackle Joe Staley will begin running and weight lifting this week. Singletary is hopeful that Staley will return for the 49ers home game against the Arizona Cardinals on Monday Night Football in two weeks. As for the status of cornerback Nate Clements, Singletary hopes to have the veteran defensive back healthy be the season finale at St. Louis.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk”

1. By Jo on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

GOOD WIN. SPREAD OFFENCE, NOT SO BAD. IM GLAD TO SEE SINGLETARY PROGRESSING AS A COACH AS WELL AS THE PLAYERS PROGRESSING AS A TEAM. HOPEFULLY IT WORKS OUT AND WE CARRY MOMENTUM INTO THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON. A WIN IS A WIN RIGHT? WETHER SMITH PASSES MORE THAN 30 TIMES OR WETHER GORE GETS THE ROCK 20+ TIMES, JUST DONT ALWAYS RUN UP THE MIDDLE, TRY A TOSS OR A SWEEP, YOU’LL BE SURPRISED HOW ATHLETIC GORE CAN BE WHEN THE OPPOSING TEAM EXPECTS THE RUN UP THE GUT ONLY TO GET A TOSS OR A SWEEP TO THE OUTSIDE TOWARD BIG VERN AND MR. MORGAN, POTENTIAL FOR BIG PLAYS! GOOD WORK AND THE NINERS, STAFF PLAYERS N ALL, HAVE EARNED MY RESPECT, KEEP IT UP WERE READY FOR ANOTHER SHOW! WIN OR LOSE NINERS 4 LIFE!!!!!

2. By Tumbleweed on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

I’m impressed with Sing, he is proving to not be as stuborn as I thought he was and Raye called a great game. I just hope it continues through the rest of the season.

3. By Ace on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Nice win guys! Love to see some production on offense, especially when it puts the guys up two scores by the half! I like the spread offense too…it seems to suit Alex well, and keeps the opponents’ D on their toes! I agree with Jo there in that you should try to run some sweeps and screens more with Gore. He’s a hell of a talent and I know he’s tough as nails and can smash any LB in the league, but try opening that up and see if he can’t smash a little more. The off-guard and off-tackle runs are the bread-and-butter, I understand, but I think Gore and the offense could benefit from a little more diversity in the run. Anyway, good job guys! Keep it up! You can smash the Peacocks next week and then put hands on Arizona Monday night and we’re right back up #1! Go Niners! Faithful till I die!

4. By vince on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

The 49ers have the potential to upset any team in the NFL and showed it against Minnesota & Colts.Though sometimes unpredictable,the Niners are a dangerous team to play.As this organization rebuilds back to their championship ways,I have ALL faith Singletary can put this team back in that position. Let’s go 2-0 in the Bay 12/14 against the Cardinals,anything can happen in a division game. AND THAT’S RIGHT,NINER’S FOR LIFE….

5. By Chris_aka_CLo on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I belive if we play like this for the rest of the games our only challenge will be the playoffs and i also belive we can earn our 6th ring… we got just as goodof a chance as those cowgirls…

6. By 49ergear on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

This GREAT to watch this team again.Its one big HAPPY family,HITTING SOMEONE,GO 49ERS

7. By Geos49ers on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I THINK THE OFFENCESIVE LINEMEN NEEDS TO HIT THE WEIGHTS A LITTLE MORE CAUSE THEY R GETTING PUSHED AROUND TOO MUCH…I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE DEFENCE TOO CAUSE THEY R NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO GET PRESSURE ON THE QB’S.AND WE NEED SOME BETTER CB’S CAUSE THE ONES WE HAVE R NOT GOOD ENOUGH. EXCEPT FOR NATE

8. By Sway on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Smith played the best game i have ever seen him play along with the rest of the team. i was at the game and we looked like a playoff caliber team! It is very doable for us to beat the hawks and take cardinal down for the final showdown to stay in the playoffs. lets make it happen team! i know singletary, raye, and manusky will do all that is neccessary in order for us to win and make the playoffs. I think we have found our identity as a team and am very proud to say that 49ers are looking sharp nearing the end of the season. keep it up as this season is crucial for us faithful and Smith, well youve matured and if you take us to the playoffs it proves that perhaps you were the qb of the future. maybe we just tossed you into the fire too fast. great job!

9. By DA Booko on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I am very happy with the preformance and i knew you had it all along I would like to see are secondary on defense play a little better I think the front rush id strong and we are going to very domanant soon Justin Smith is a beast and the rest of the defensive takles are doing a great job the sky is the limit go get it NINERS 4 LIFE

10. By 49erFaithful on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Once again, run the spread early get ahead in the score, and run the ball w/ Gore mixed with the pass.. Keep the Defense guessing.. We can’t just go out there & throw, same with the ground game.. I think Gore should have been used more against JAC.. It won’t take long before teams start to figure out our spread offense.. Run the spread early & mix it with the run.. Niners will be tough to defeat because of our D..

11. By pablo on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

to me doesn´t matter if spread o is better than running attack, mike is learning with his boys to win, this is a young team, and everybody is step by step, but they are in the same page, this year we are going to be a better team but in 3 years we are going to be champions…

12. By 49erFaithful on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

If Gore can average ATLEAST 100 or close to 100 yds. a game, mixed with the spread Offense early on, i don’t see anyone beating us on the remaining schedule.. Not even Philly.. It seems as though the players & coaches prepare extra for the tougher teams.. and it shows..

13. By nathaniel maldonado on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

wassup bruh good job niner yall could win the next % you already did it onec agint three of the reams!

14. By Billy Beard on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

They Need To Run It More And Throw It More. The Run Attack And The Passing Attack Is More affective. Defence needs to work harder. If The Defence works harder and the offence needs to step up and work harder. If you have the defence and the offence playing at the same leavel that is how to win games. Lets Go 49ers get into the play offs that what ask of you and you need to do more with more blocks and more interseptions. Less peniltys

15. By Jeff Chan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Typo: Adam and Chilo are on the left side. Barry is on the right.

16. By Jeff Chan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Oops, please disregard my posting.

17. By 49erExilePDX on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I like what was said earlier by 49erFaithful about running spread and a mixed run game. I agree the thing that seems to be stopping Gore primarily is the previously predictable up the middle on first and second style scheme. I think he’s great as a receiver and probably on the outside. Let him get up to speed and he’s really hard to stop. Running up the middle all the time won’t produce the results everyone wants. Keep doing it, just not all the time. Use the receiving core- it looks good and could easily become great. All-in-all I have to say I really like watching the Niners with Mike – it’s so nice to have the team improving. Playoffs will come, maybe this year/maybe not, but I’ll take a winning season in a heartbeat.

18. By J. on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I really liked how the spread looked out on that field on Sunday. Smith definitely looks more comfortable in that formation and he is able to execute more as well. I definitely don’t think we should abandon the take it to the gut and “hit them in the mouth” runs that Gore executes or that mentality that Singletary brings. I was proud of the boys when they were running a lot even when they weren’t getting many yards because they were tough as nails and willing to prove it. But good move by singletary going with what works (spread) without abandoning the run. Bay Bombers 4 life!

19. By chris on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Lets go and thrash the seasucks! GO NINERS!

20. By TUOBatt on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I’m proud of the direction the team is going. I’m also happy to see Alex Smith progressing as a quarterback, and the team embracing his skillset. The niners will win the division! Monday night vs. AZ will be the deciding game of the season!

21. By TUOBatt on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I’ve decided that when we talk about GREAT defensive 49ers players. . . Patrick Willis should be mentioned in the same sentence as Ronnie Lott!!! I just hope we keep him as a 49er for the rest of his career! I don’t see him leaving Sing. Afterall, Sing helped bring out his full potential.

22. By jon on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I think that you can start a season with a game plan, but as the season progresses you have to alter the plan to the strengths of your players. With Hill we had no choice but to run the plays we did. With Alex he performs well in spread formation and it has shown more progressive than what we started with, not only for Alex, but for the receivers as well. Now is the time to shine or its home for the playoffs. Good game last week, but we need to play mistake free football from here on out to get out of the hole we dug earlier. We can win out (although Vegas thinks differently)! We just need to take care of our game first then worry about what other teams are doing secondly. Lets make some Noise this week in Seattle then get ready for the spotlight!!!! Practice hard and good things will happen on Sunday.

23. By Joe on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

When I saw Coach Singletary step up to the mike and give the Monday report the thought came to my mind that everything is in place for a memorable season. The outcome in wins and losses, I am not sure about. Memorable season and the best season the niners have had in a long time; most certainly.Great work Coach Singletary.

24. By Andrew on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I am very pleased with the win. But i want to see more big plays, and more sweeps to the outside. Gore always goes right to the middle, and the defense expects it all the time; lets mix it up. But I am very proud of the win. Keep it up 49ers!

25. By Chris EPT on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Great win niners!! Just as the rest of the 49erfaithfull im thrilled and see good things lying ahead for our team.

26. By bob on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

i think singletary is the man! good game sunday keep up the good work the team has evolved as a team since mike took over half way last season and i can’t wait to see what the rest of the season brings. keep up the good work team us niner fans are proud of all you………niners 4 life

27. By Eric on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

The offense really looked confident and comfortable this last week against Jacksonville. The offense Kept the time of possession to our advantage, giving the defense time to rest and adjust, keep the spread offense with some surprises. GO NINERS! One game at a time!

28. By vince on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Alex Smith in many way has the potential of being a great quarterack. In comparison of Steve Young he can run,scramble and has alot of guts in the pocket. Though he has to be smater in his decision making to avoid turning the ball over. The 49ers have a good ground game and they have to rely on it.The 49ers can only beat themselves in which will decide our playoff fate.When the niners have a early lead,Smith is very comfortable and competent in the pocket. When having to come back from behind,his lack of experience is displayed. This is the 49ers quarterback of the future,he’s exciting and fun to watch.This is a team that is rebuilding and can only go up.This is nothing but a life sentence for the NFC west…NINERS FOR LIFE….

29. By Chilly Will 49! on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Wow finally someone grew up and stepped up and decided to make a difference. Yes I’m talking of Alex Smith I tried to tell everyone weeks ago that the 49ers needed to pass a whole lot more. I give Alex some props but I’m not about to even jump on the Alex Smith train right yet. He still has a lot to prove out there as a QB I am still not convinced he is our guy. I give him and some of the other players credit for stepping up to Mike and speaking their minds for once. It’s all about coming together as a team…. UNITY. That’s what Arizona discovered last year about themselves and ran with it…. no one saw it coming! Now if the Niners can turn things around they might find themselves were the Cardinals were a year ago. They are gonna have to fight tooth and nail to get there and it is in their grasp!

I feel the Niners are very under rated. They played teams like the Vikings and Colts that are considered tops in the NFL now. We all know the Niners had them both beat soundly, but what hurt us was all the damn running around and unable to put more score on the board. Now the Offensive is discovering what needs to be done the talent is there they are now learning to play to their strengths. With the addition of Crabtree who is playing outstanding the Offensive can take it to the next level.

I remember the Niners 89″ season ,and even with the Great one Joe Montana the Niners struggled bad, but they played just good enough to make the playoffs, and well you know the rest of the story SB3 was in the books for the Niners. If this team just starts to believe in themselves they can make a run for this still and who knows what will happen we have all seen crazy things before. With that said….. Niners go out there and whip those Seahawks, and I promise I will be out there for the MNF Game to watch the Niners dethrone those Arizona Cardinals!!!!

This is the TIME TO MAKE IT HAPPEN !!!!
    GO NINERS!!!!