Monday’s Locker Room Talk

Posted by Taylor Price on November 2, 2009 – 4:14 PM

o-bench-header

A day after a frustrating 18-14 defeat to the Indianapolis Colts, the 49ers pointed the blame at themselves for not being able to snap their two-game losing streak, which now stands at three games.

“It was a tough game,” head coach Mike Singletary said at his day after the game press conference. “It was one of those things where we did more than they did. Yesterday was a classic case of an immature team shooting itself in the foot.”

Singletary spoke of penalties and missed assignments that caused the 49ers to come up short, and his players agreed.

“We have the tools, we have the people, we just have to learn how to finish,” running back Frank Gore said.

Although it wasn’t the outcome he was looking for, Singletary felt his team did improve on Sunday by nearly defeating the undefeated Colts.

“We didn’t win yesterday, but we did get better,” he said.

In Singletary’s eyes, his players improved, despite suffering injuries to two key players, one on each side of the ball.

On the game’s very first offensive play, left tackle Joe Staley went down with a sprained knee. Staley underwent an MRI earlier today and the time table for his return will be announced by the team later. Staley was in good spirits in the locker room and was noticeably limping, but able to put weight on his leg.

Staley said it was the first knee injury of football career and the first significant playing time he’s missed since spraining an ankle as a college freshman.

Staley added that he was able to watch the play of his replacement Barry Sims and right tackle Adam Snyder throughout the game and offered tips to them as well.

“I thought Barry did a good job,” Staley said.

Sims, an 11-year NFL veteran with 127 regular season starts, was ready to go when his number was called after the game’s first offensive snap.

“I always draw from my experience,” Sims said of what helped him be ready. “As a backup you prepare yourself as a starter and I started my whole career. I’m aware of what it takes to be the starter. It was unfortunate that Joe went down as early as he did, but at the same time, it was good to be able to get into a rhythm at the beginning and then go from there.”

The 49ers other major injury news on Monday involved cornerback Nate Clements’ fractured right scapula.

“We will not put him on IR,” Singletary said. “If we’re in the playoffs, he deserves to play.”

Clements becomes the third 49ers player to fracture his shoulder this season.

In training camp wide receiver Brandon Jones suffered a fractured scapula and was back in five weeks. Tackle Tony Pashos also suffered the same injury against the Texans, but was placed on IR after.

With this injury, the 49ers expect Clements to be back in time for the end of the season and a possible playoff run.

Clements only has his focus on rehabbing his shoulder to get back on the field.

“I’m just going to focus everything on rehabbing and still staying in on what’s going on with the defense,” he said. “Right now, I have to focus on rehabbing and getting my arm stronger.”

More Monday Notes

-Singletary said a sprained shoulder to defensive tackle Demetric Evans was the only injury to come out of the Colts game, besides the injuries to Staley and Clements.

-Singletary said Tarell Brown will be fine in stepping in for Clements. Asked if Brown can handle those duties, Singletary responded, “Oh yeah, he’s ready.”

-Players on offense were asked about the state of the team’s offense and if going to a spread attack from the shotgun formation would help the team move the ball. Quarterback Alex Smith said answered it best: “I think you want to retain balance. I think you want to be physical, run the ball, as well as at times change the tempo, and spread it out a little bit and then go back to the run. I think those are the things you need to do to be a successful offense.”

-Along those lines, Singletary was asked if he supported the play-calling from offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, to which he responded: “I 150-percent back what he’s doing, absolutely. There’s not one iota that I’m wavering here or there, whatever. Jimmy knows there are some things going forward that he has to learn about our players, what they can and cannot do.”

smith-colts-blog-Singletary was also pleased with Smith’s play.

-“I thought Alex did very well. I was very pleased to see him make some throws. I was very excited and anticipated this game for him because I knew the rush was going to be coming at him. I knew that it was just a situation where he wasn’t going to sit back there and be comfortable and he got outside of the pocket a few times and he made some good decisions, made some really nice throws. Outside throws, up the field throws, post throws, I thought he made all the throws that he needed to make and he just needed to be more consistent. I thought he handled himself very well in pressure situations and I thought he did a good job.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk”

1. By Jon on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

We can take this division if we start believing in ourselves. 7 years without a playoff opportunit is a long time and if we start spreading the offense out a little more we will be back there again. Alex is finally playing like the quarterback that he can be. We need to be a little smarter coaching wise in play selection. first and ten, ya try a run. If it doesnt work, try a slant, screen, short pass to vernon, or something other than a half-back dive. Defensively we are playing very well, but are giving up way to many long passes. The loss of nate will hurt but i think tarrell can fill his void. We have a few games comming up that we can win without a doubt. We cannot let these slip up. No more stupid penalties, execute on offense, and make those stops on 3rd down! Let’s prove that we are a playoff contender. Lets GO 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Nick Frontiero on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

How about some press coverage on 3rd downs to get off the field? It looks pretty easy for the opposing team to run a bubble screen to pick up 6 plus yards. We had the Colts in third down and long situations all day Sunday, but never got off the field. Smarter coaching….? Yes, I agree. We knew who the colts were before this game. If I was coaching I wouldn’t be trying to win a 14-12 game in the 4 quarter against Peyton. So, a little sense of urgency on the offensive play calling would be nice to see before we’re down 21 plus points. If your by more than one possession, then nickel and dime it up the field in 3rd and 2 positions. Now that Smith is in, I think we can start going for the early kill of our prey, and then emphasize Gore while we have the lead by at least a possession. Let’s stop showboating after 1 touchdown, and start winning games….consecutively!! I love you guys, and I believe you can do it! Let’s Go GoldRush!

3. By Finer9rfan on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

I saw a couple of comments from writers yesterday and they whole heartedly stated Manning played an un-Manning-like game never giving our defense any credit for making him un-Manning-like…It took a ‘trick’ play to beat us, a play I understand they haven’t used in nine years…We sacked him three times in one game, we held him to NO touchdowns but like someone said, we shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times and hopefully we learn from it and get better, ‘going forward’…

4. By joyce r. dunn on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Coach Singletary: Why did you put Nate Clements in on special teams? I’m sure you considered that to be a risky decision, but I’m just a college English teacher…so what do I know? Anyway, I certainly would be interested in the mechanics of your decision.

Thank you in advance for your response.
    Sincerely
    Joyce R. Dunn M.A.

5. By chris on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

i think we need to run the ball no doubt……but u have to keep the ball out of certain qbs hands and when u run run and run when u know not to give the ball back to manning, u need to stretch the field and trust the qb! take a shot especially if every other team thinks were going top run run all the time. if our offense can keep up with the our D we will be a great team for sure! lets hope we can modify the playbook a little on offense and make the playoffs!

6. By greg on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

profession committed Morgan and the dance… Bly taunting Falcons when behind 25 pts. ….. there is a basic problem in some minds… humility… a 4 and 12 team, in my mind, doesn’t have a whole lot to dance nor taunt about, and when you give Peyton Manning and the Colts 15 yds. with 35 seconds, … I say YOU are not committed to winning !!!

7. By John on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Our O line played pretty good considering Staley was out. We just need to convert those 3rd downs and we can beat these teams. Our D is capable. Come on offense step it up.

8. By SHERM on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

TO B HONEST WE REALLY SHOULD B AT LEAST 5-2. NO EXCUSES ON HOW WE FINISH GAMES. WE HAVE GREAT PLAYERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL NO DOUBT PRO BOWLERS. BUT WE CANT BEAT OUR SELVES UP IF WE WANT TO WIN. OUR D IS ABOVE AVG BUT NOBODY BELIEVES IN US. SO F N WHAT JUST PROVE IT ON THE FIELD ON GAME DAYS. OUR OFFENSE HAS MORE WEAPONS THEN PPL THINK.. GORE, DAVIS, MORGAN, CRABTREE, BRUCE, JONES.. SO MANY THREATS BUT WHATS GOOD IN THOSE THREATS WHEN WE HAVE NO TIME AND BLOCKIN TO DO IT. TO ME A WASTE. BIG WASTE.. GORE HAD ONLY 13 CARRIES! I THINK LIKE 5 IN THE 2ND HLF! R U KIDDING ME! WE NEED TO RUN MORE WEST COAST OFFENSE. THATS WHAT BILL WALSH INVENTED AND THATS WHAT WON US CHAMPIONSHIPS! SPREAD THE BALL THEN POUND IT DOWN THERE THROATS WITH THE BULL GORE. LOOK AT THE TEAMS STATS WHEN HE RUSHES 20+ TIMES. IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR OFFENSE OF PLAY CALLS AROUND AND HAVE THE O LINE STEP UP!!!! 49ERS 4 LIFE BABY……

9. By Joel Nealy on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Trust the coaching. Thats all the fans need to do. This team could be alot worse but they are showing pride in their play and they are improving.

If the defense is giving looks that call for a run, we should run.

Its not coach Singletary or Jimmys fault if we miss a block or an assignement and the play fails.

So I look forward to seeing the niners take even more pride in their play and less stupid penalties and we will be that much better.

We have a tough schedule…so lets give em hell in every single game…

go niners.

10. By 49erFaithful on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Like Singletary said, We lost the game, but did get better. Once Smith starts getting into a groove (hopefully sunday) we can be a balanced team. We also need to stop being conservative when facing a good offensive team like the Colts. Once we had the lead, the play calls on offense were just ridiculous. It seemed as though we were to afraid to make big plays to secure our lead. We need to execute from start to finish. It showed vs. Houston and now Indy. and cost us. Let’s go Frisco, get us back on track Mike, You are the true captain of this team!! BEST IN THE WEST!!!!!!

11. By Joe on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I noticed on the NFL web page that the Colts were credited with 8 quaterback huries and four sacks. I also noticed former coach Mike Martz say (he was speaking genericly) that the mark of a good NFL quarter back is that he can make the throws under duress. I think Alex Smith did that this game. ALex keep your game face on. Keep up the good work.

12. By Niner4life on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I dont mean to sound like im not behind the coaching staff but what makes a offense or defense good is the ability of the OC and DC to play to their players strenghts, and we are just not doing that right now on O. I mean come on you have one of the best TE in the game,an up and coming Wr core and a QB who finally have gotten over the learning curve and the O continues to play bad thats because the strenght is in the passing game not the run. We seem to be better at pass blocking with alex back there cause he can move and create some plays but bad at the running game cause everybody has to be on the same page and if something breaks down then its a three yard loss. Im not saying dont run just dont be so predicatable that every team in the league knows OK its first down their running its second down their its third down there passing..OK their up three lets load the box we know their running.The fact that alex called his own plays in that 2 minute drill and score speaks volumes and that was the only productive drive we had beside gore run.

13. By L.G on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Were to predictable on Offense we need to change it up like the old days. You never knew what Montana or Steve young was going to do. The old west coast O would throw on first down, run and throw again on the opening set. Throw it to Gore more and the full back. Sing. old school but man you have to evolve or get left behind. Kind of like Mix Martial Arts you can’t be predictable or you will be figured out. The offense now makes it so easy for teams to prepare for us and as far as QB goes i wont have an opinion until the season over. I was kind of hoping for someone new(Nate Davis?)…But Alex has away of sticking around? I am not totally sold on him but i wish all the best.

14. By JOHNNY LUCERO on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

WE CAN ONLY GET BETTER. WAY TO GO NINERS!!

15. By frosty49erhardcore on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Iam glad alex is in as the QB,he never really got a fair shot.I just want the team to stop hurting them self. We are the niners and we have hearts of gold.

16. By CR on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

This upcoming game against the titans will be the 49ers rebound game. This team is on the verge of greatness. The 49ers will make the playoffs this year! Go Niners!!

17. By Brian on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I love the talk that Mike preaches, but I am not seeing it on the field. In the preseason, the players were coached to win their own little battles against whoever they were matched against. I am not seeing this from our offensive line and that is why it is unable to consitently keep the run as a viable option. Overall, our offense is abysmal. You never know when they are going to execute. It seems we either go 3 and out or we go the distance and score. It’s so hot and cold. If you look at our offensive point totals you know we are more cold than hot each week.

If nothing else, stop with the celebrating. You are a professional – act like one. Dre Bly’s showboating against Atlanta on his interception was the most unbelievable thing I cuold imagine at the time. Their receiver burned the entire defense just one possesion ago and he has the audacity to taunt them? Vernon Davis. I am definitely on board with the way he has developed as a player, but he constantly gets flagged for stupid celebrations too. Enough already. Put an end to the celebrations on this team. They are not warranted.

Lastly, defense is doing a heck of a job, but giving up 3rd and 20 is inexcusable. Play hard the entire set of downs, stop giving up on third down.

18. By randy on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I think our play callers are reevaluating each week. I see improvment. But remember we need to have confidence we can execute the play before we call it – and many times that depends upon the right talent in place, adequate practice and each guy knowing there roles in the offense as strategy changes within a game. For example, I would love to see more runs to the outside with Coffee, seemingly our quickest back. What we all are not realizing is to put in some plays for Coffee requires a role adjustment by Gore, a very talented but sensitive player. So more stuff to the outside might be an option.

As others have mentioned, once the passing game starts to sting the defense, the opposing team will not be able to stuff the box anymore. That will also help open up the run. I’m not sure we will be able to run the ball between the tackles much at all until they respect our passing game.

19. By Julian on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

All I can say is that we are a playoff team and we are improving week after week. All we have to do is go out every game day and play up to our potential and we will win this division convincingly. Against the Colts we played well enough to keep up with them but not good enough to get the W. Without production in the second half you cannot beat a team as good as Indy. If this were a few years ago we would not have been able to compete with the Colts especially at home in hostile territory. It might not say a whole lot now but we are the best team in the NFL with a loosing record and I honestly can say that we will turn some heads in the weeks to come. Alex Smith is showing some promise and now that he has the weapons to get the ball to, he will live up to his draft pick. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!

20. By jake on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

WOW!!! I WAS READING WHAT PEOPLE WROTE AND WAS AMAZED, THAT NO ONE IS MENTIONING OUR DEF BACKS SOOOO SLOW AT SPEED, WE ARE LOOSING THE GAMES HERE, BRING US TAYLOR MAYS, THANK U, WE NEED TO EITHER REVAMP OUR DEF TOTALLY OR UPGRADE OUR OFF BUT JUST DO ONE THIS YEARS DRAFT..I SAY GRAB COLT MCCOY QB, N TAYLOR MAYS N WORK ON THE SPEED AT SAFTIES N CORNERS

21. By jake on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

ALSO PLEASE GIVE QB, DAVIS I THINK A TRY, HE DID WELL IN PRESEASON????

22. By Ed McC on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Man… I think that was most beautiful lost this season, it there is such a thing? The 9ers played well in all aspect of the game offensively Smith didn’t try to do to much, he took what the Colts gave him, the O-line play really well considering Staley’s injury. Defense was sound they didn’t let the number one scoring offense in the end zone, but once and they had to resort to trickaration… I think they should of keep the pressure on Manning in those third and long situations, the DB’s were play out standing and were capable to go one on one with the Colt recievers (I hate prevent), and not only that, Manning was out of rhythm everything he threw was long, but what he does to get into rhythm one word Clark. Special teams was great every kick or punt was returned for minium gains. I

23. By Keltom on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

I was reading jake’s comment and was like “Next thing he is going to say is start Nate Davis at QB”. Then he did. Lol.

I thought our DB’s did quite well. All Manning had was short passes underneath. Those can be sacrificed and it proved why when Indy only put up 18 pts. Regardless, if we take back a couple mistakes (some rookie ones), that was a victory.

24. By Heath on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

WOW! It’s great to read the passion and love that most of you have for “My 9ers”! I love the direction that our team is heading…Coach Singletary and his staff have done an amazing job in a short period of time, instilling pride, hard work and discipline back in to our proud organization. (See Vernon Davis) We need to have patience with our team…they are very young at the skill positions, beyond Bruce, and the O-Line needs to play together, longer to jell. The DEF is exciting and shows improvement weekly, we have the best young Linebacker in Football, and there are several good ones out there, and who better to coach him then a HOF LB!! All that said, don’t turn it over, don’t give away yards / firstdowns with careless and undisciplined penaltys. If you get get beat physically …it happens, the other guy is a PRO to. But if you beat yourself with mental mistakes and selfish acts that cost your TEAM a chance to succeed…How did coach say it…”Can’t win w/em…” I’ve supported and loved this team for 30 years from clear across the country…all the many highs and lows. In fact, several people have asked me if we have room on our band wagon…I welcome them with open arms. We can’t have too much support for our 5 time Champion SF 49ers.
    PW…YOUR A BEAST! We love ya man!

25. By Heath on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Also…I agree with Brian. Stop celebrating every thing that happens! Act like you’ve been there before! High five the guy(s) that blocked for you, threw it to you or pushed you to work harder in the offseason. But get off the field, be proffessional and expect greatness! You may have never known the 49ers to be GREAT, but we fans have. Get a Video of the Championship years, or sit down and chat with Ronnie, Jerry, Roger, Joe, Steve, Jesse, Harris or Tom. The list is long and distinguished! They all knew…they lived it. We will again soon! Go NINERS!

26. By 49ersFaninMA on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

I see the offence opening up within the next couple games. The fact is A. Smith has been a “bust” since getting drafted due to a number of factors, some not his fault like a bum O line. He is playing well now but the play calling has to be tailored to how well he continues to play. If they allow him to throw all over the place after stepping back into the line up and he tanks well then it will be hard for him and the team to bounce back from that one. I bet if continues to play at the level his has the last 2 games they will indeed open the playbook up to more passing. Keep up the good work and hopefully I can start hearing more about my 9ers around here instead of the damn Patriots, god I hate them.

27. By jake on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

to keltom
    yes im responding to your response, on nate davis, heck y not no qb is doin good give him a shot, we didnt even try to sign vick who we all know would bring in money we need, n his talent is still there, anytime any one want to holla at my view, im ready