Crabtree Sums Up NFL Debut

Posted by Taylor Price on October 29, 2009 – 5:40 PM

102909-crabtree-blog-header

Rookie wide receiver Michael Crabtree spoke to the media for just about 10 minutes on Thursday. Crabtree answered a variety of questions from Bay Area reporters ranging from his five-catch, 56-yard debut last Sunday against the Houston Texans to how he’s picking up this week’s game plan.

Here’s the transcript of his media session in the locker room from earlier today:

On if things are becoming more relaxed now that he’s heading into his second NFL game:

“Oh yeah, I’m feeling comfortable right now. I feel like we just have to push through this week. I feel like we’ve done a good job preparing for this game. We just have to keep it up today and smooth things out tomorrow. I’m just ready to go.”

On if he’s picking up the game plan faster this week:

“The second week is still kind of the same right now. It’s not too much of a difference from my first game. Once I get my second game out of the way, I’ll be ready.”

On who is helping him the most between coaches and teammates:

“Everybody, our receivers., the quarterbacks.  I’ve got good teammates and anything I ask, they’re going to give me the answers.”

On the chemistry he’s developed with Alex Smith:

“You know as quarterback and receiver, you kind of create that trust. After running so many routes with him, or anytime you’re doing one-on-one activity outside, you feel like you gain chemistry with that quarterback. It’s no different from Shaun [Hill], I’ve just worked more with Alex. I can’t wait to get out there and see how that goes.”

On if the 49ers can develop into more of a passing team:

“We can be whatever we want to be. We have the talent to do it. We’ve got our running backs. We’ve got our receivers. I think we’ve got the full package. We’ve just got to put things together and go out there and execute.”

On what grade he would give himself after watching film from his first game:

“It was alright. It was my first game. I feel like I could have done better. There are obviously things that I could have done better. That’s what I focus on for most of my time in the film room. I’m just trying to correct those mistakes and get better.”

On if he heard any trash talk from Texans during first game:

“There’s always trash talked out there. I really don’t pay too much attention to it. I’m focusing on my job.”

On how much of the playbook he was operating on against Houston:

“Most of it. I couldn’t get on the field if I didn’t know most of it. I would say I knew most of the playbook.”

102909-crabtree-subOn scoring points and keeping up with the Colts:

“We just have to do our job. Hopefully our defense does their job. It’s a team game. That’s how I’m looking at it.”

On ascending to be the go-to-guy from the start:

“It’s just a part of playing football. When the ball comes your way, you catch the ball. You do what you’ve got to do to get the first down. That’s kind of the rules I’ve lived by my whole life. “There shouldn’t be a difference.”

On embracing that responsibility, to be a big part, right away:

“My responsibility is to catch the ball. Any moment on the field, any time, any place, it’s just football.”

On if he feels that he’s made and immediate difference”

“I feel like I’m doing my job.”

On if changing quarterback right when he is coming into the offense makes it any harder:

“You’ve got to expect the unexpected in any situation. When anything goes wrong, you have to adapt to it. I feel like that’s what our team is doing. I feel like there are a lot of changes made day in day out. It’s just how you respond to it.”

On if any of his mentors checked in with him after his first game:

“I had a lot of people check in with me. I tell them to just give me the negative points on what happened and they all have no problem with doing that.”

On if he likes the attention he’s been getting:

“To tell you the truth, I don’t worry about it. I just stay in my own lane, and do what I’m supposed to do.”

On if he’s seen himself on sports highlight shows:

“I’m always up here and as soon as leave from the facility I’m going to sleep. I really don’t have too much time to watch a lot of TV.”

On how badly he wanted to work out in Indianapolis during the combine back then:

“I wouldn’t say I was frustrated. It was something I wanted to do so bad. I wanted to go out there and show what I had just like everybody else. I’m just glad that that part of it is over with, but I wish I could have done something to show guys what I can do in the 40 [yard-dash].”

On if having had that opportunity would have changed where he was drafted:

“I have no idea. I know where I’m drafted now. That’s the good part about it.”

Posted in Uncategorized | 35 Comments »

35 Responses to “Crabtree Sums Up NFL Debut”

1. By forty9erfanatic on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Wow. I think we had Crabs pegged wrong. I know it’s early, but he sure doesn’t sound like a diva. In fact, he sounds much like his head coach. This pleases me……GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

2. By AlexMcd32 on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Crabtree did well. He made all the catches that he should have caught and has stayed humble. I expect a 40-50 catch season from him and a 4-6 touchdowns

3. By SeRiaL on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I never lost faith in Crabtree. You can’t hold anything against him for trying to get paid. He’s confident in his abilities which is why he stood his ground. I’m glad he’s finally on the field and with the team. He’ll be a great team mate and football player for many years.

4. By bruce on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Smith, Crabtree, and Jones, giddy up, lets get this offense going. Niners should at least sign baas to a two year deal, since this is now the offensive line the niners will probably have for the rest of the year. Maybe they just need to continue to play together in order to get better, so get Baas signed so he doesn’t have his situation at the end of the year on his mind. That way he and the rest of his line mates can concentrate on the job at hand and get it done.

5. By bruce on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

oops I forgot about V. davis also.

6. By facedagree on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

im feeling hella good for tha niners going 2 tha colts, and no matter what happens, this niners 4 life. alex and tha offense execute, while tha defense back’em up, we run tha NFC WEST!!!!! let’s go get’em niners, EVERYONE STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEST COAST….

7. By michael on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

well, crabtree or davis would not have received the ball last week if hill was still in the game. it takes a good quarterback to get good receivers the ball to catch. glad that smith can deliver the ball down field. the time away from being a started probably was a good thing for him. go niners, lets get a win on the road in indy.

8. By Ahmed Hosni on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I’m glad everyone is laying off crabs… he was a stud in college because he does all the little things… seems like he has superglue on his hands. I hope that alex gets his stuff together finally and has improved from the last time we saw him as a starter. Never to late to earn all that money he has already made!!

9. By Henry Borja on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Crabtree showed me a smidgen of a physical prowess of a Owen and an early Rice era talent. Keep it up Michael who knows what the future might bring.

10. By Lloyd on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I think if we get the o line on point, and alex plays well we got a chance

11. By Steiny on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Anybody else notice that Smith doesn’t long-arm it anymore? Used to drive me nuts how long it would take him, mechanically, to deliver the ball. Works for Tim Linsecum but not for NFL quarterbacks. Houston didn’t prep for Smith. Indy obviously has though. We’ll see what he can do. It’s just nice to have some athleticism behind the center. He’ll need it with those Indy defensive ends darting around the tackles on that turf.

12. By legit-balla on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Dont worry about the 40 time mike, Heyward-Bey is supposed to be a speed demon and I dont know if he got 5 catches all year! BEST HANDS SINCE RICE!!!!!!!! 9ers 4 life!!!!!!

13. By NingerLegacy on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Probably some of the most intelligent responses I have heard from any NFL player…much less a rookie. Crabtree is the business! Love this brotha already.

14. By Exactly on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Exactly, by gones be by gones. I am stoked for our future with him in the lineup.

15. By Rick Carroll on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Nobody is perfect. I hate the fact that athletes make so much money, yes they are entertainers, but its just too much money. Im a huge niner fan. Like so big, that i throw parties every sunday to have my friends (wich are Colts fans) come over and watch the games. We play the colts this sunday, and its our toughest game yet. Our offense will pick up if we can just get solid play out of any qb, and the offensive line. Crabs is a good player, no doubt, but we need more from the rest of the guys. I our defense is going to have to maintain, and somehow frustrate Manning. With the lack of pressure this season, im worried. Justin Smith is about all we really have on the line. The other guys just havent produced. Mccdonald started off strong, but he has dropped. Kentwan hasnt done much, Soapoga isnt bad, but he isnt a total stud either. Clements is too spotty, and spencer is just getting started. So we have more holes than a christian handbook. If we can get Alex in the shotgun spread like he played at Utah, we maybe able to keep up with their offense. Good luck niners. Go Willis, Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Spencer, Morgan, McDonald, Staley, Rachel, Heitman, Lewis, Mckillop, Norris, Clements, and all my boys in the SICSCO.

16. By Justin on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Media had him pegged as a baby T.O. or diva. If you watched anything on him before you would know this guy is a business man. He just wanted to be paid like it. There is a reason Singletary wanted this guy when he was on the board. Effort and talent. He played 1 year in college…. 22td catches…. ENUFF SAID

17. By chris on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Let’s Go Get”em this sunday Crabtree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets Go Niners!!!

Big W in Indy this SUNDAY!!!!

18. By Gary Bitto on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I agree Crabtree is saying all things so far. We need a QB to get the ball to him Davis and Morgan is a nice trio. One half of the game doesn’t make a great QB.
    I’ve been a niner fan since thelate 60’s Ive seen the bad and the good yrs. It’s
    time for more good yrs.

19. By Bradley on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

He played 2 yrs in college and had over 3k yards and 41 TD’s. He has never been nor will he ever be a diva. Anyone that knows anything about him knew this is exactly how he would be.

20. By Steve on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Well, it’s beginning to look like it was worth the wait. Crabtree does not act or play like a rookie. I was worried about getting stuck with another T.O., but maybe we’ve gotten another Jerry Rice instead. Who knows?

Now if Alex can just keep it up. If so, Indy had better watch out!

GO 49ERS!!!!

21. By VintageTTU on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

We all knew what Crabtree was like in Lubbock. He worked his tail off in practices. Leach requires a strong work ethic out of his players or you’re off the team. I think Knight rubbed off on him a little. Crabtree is something special…no question about it.

Now if my Red Raiders could keep their quarterbacks healthy!!! TTU Big 12 Champs – 2010…I’m very serious!!!

22. By E. McCarroll on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I Have been a 49ers fan since 1947 at Kezar St. I have seen the lows to the hi’s, from Frankie Albert, to the present,on the Crab I had my doubts at hold outtime,but his actions and statements changed that The Sing is great,& the Crab will be two!!! GO NINERS De-shoe the Colts.!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Richard on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I don’t care if you like Mr Crabtree or hate him, but did you see those hands!! Crabtree catching the ball looked like someone reaching out and picking a peach off the tree. Lots of players have great hands and have had over the years, but I have never seen anyone else pick the ball out of the air like he did in Texas . . not even the one we all know is the best wide receiver ever. Record it, play it in slow motion, super slow motion, play it backwards . . Lots of guys can catch the ball, but the ball is a part of Michael Crabtree’s hands when it comes his way.

24. By 49er faithful82 on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I know that the niners will be something special. I know it, because of Michael crabtree. He is an exceptional talent and he is about team instead of “I”. Many said he was going to be a t.o type guy, but I think he is our next Jerry rice. Niners are a west coast passing team, followed by a strong running game. Go niners!!!

25. By albert einstien on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

e=mc^2

if e = excellence and mc were to equal michael crabtree, then one could say
    that excellence = michael crabtree squared to that end one might even conclude that michael crabtree is in fact the square root of excellence.

i say man, good show last week.

26. By ninermaniac30 on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

After watching his college career, I was stoked to see his first game as a 49er. I am even more excited after watching both he and Smith mesh well in their first game together. Along with all the rest of the young nucleus of 49ers, I can’t wait to see them run the guantlet in these next several weeks. He certainly lived up to his billing as a playmaker and his routes seemed refined and his explosiveness on his cuts was amazing. He was billed as a pheonom. Lets not call this guy Jerry Rice. But lets make sure we give him the opportunity to grow into that type of player. What do you think of checking to more bubble screens against the blitz Coach? Seems like when I watched Crabs highlights from college , he was fearless turning the corner. That kind of play does remind me of you know who. And boy, how nice did Alex look throwing out of the Gun! Lets go Sing! Lets go Niners!!

27. By TTU on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Crabtree was a hard worker and good player while he was at Tech. He may have been confident in himself, but that is a good thing. Besides, how can you blame him? Only college receiver to ever win the Biletnikoff twice.

28. By Sollostyles on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

We are in tough but I am feeling good about this one ! NINERS 4 LIFE !!!!! Ronnie Lott best Hitter all time !!!!

29. By macmal on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

god please let alex smith earn tha money we r givn him. v davis is ready gore is a beast wiliis is a freak and crabtree is a natural. forty niner nation letz go

30. By Don DaDa on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

Ive been a 49er fan for 20yrs i seen them come and go Michael Crabtree went to the ssame high school i went to Dallas Carter we dont put out anything less then winners i knew that he would do just what he did in his 1st game as a pro thats how we the boys out of Dallas Carter roll stay tuned there more to come…………Go 49boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By ZenTwist on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

well Crabtree has done nothing but act professional from the beginning! Has there ever been a rookie who held out this long and then started 2 weeks after signing?? I think not! The 49ers are not that desperate to have him on the field, unprepared.
    What this really shows is that although he may have held out, he studied the play book and trained hard to be ready, instead of shooting pool and chasing girls. The future is wide open for this young man, and for now it seems that with just one game under his belt he has quashed all the proverbially crap said about him. To listen to him speak and to watch him play he has a maturity about him that really shouldn’t surprise anyone, Mike Singletary took this kid because he fits the image of what a winner is all about.

Kudos to Mike, for knowing and having a vision and sticking to it. It is a pleasure to watch a team compete from beginning to end even when the odds looked bad. The green Bay game was a heart Breaker but tell me the last time you watched a game like that, and even though in loss you still had a smile on your face?………. Because those guys fought like warriors, and didn’t quit… And that has been a long time coming

GO 49ERS……….

32. By ZenTwist on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

Oh one more thing! Crabtrees hands looks like he has stickum on them That guy is gonna catch a lot of balls for his career, I predict his first two TDs and over a 100 yards receiving this week.. Yeeehaaaw

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. By byron on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

we got the talent on both sides of the ball and now that we got crabtree we are that much better and i dont care who we play we got a chance we are a competitive and hungary team

34. By Isaac on Nov 1, 2009 | Reply

I watched montana and young, i watched taylor and rice, i’ve been to the pararades, i’ve seen the decline, All i can do is let my niners know that we are there for them thick and thin, and all i can hope for is that crabtree is nothing like owens(who at one time i thought was our savior). Play with heart micheal, lets go for six, dallas doesn’t have half the heart that i see in my team, remember your part of one of the greatest teams to ever grace the field and no one can take that away from you!

35. By ZB on Nov 1, 2009 | Reply

Crabtree you the man keep up the good work!!!! We have good receivers but we needed that go to guy!!!!