Monday’s Locker Room Talk

Posted by Taylor Price on October 26, 2009 – 5:40 PM

asmith-named-starter-header

There were a couple of topics of conversation in the 49ers open locker room on Monday, but none more important than coach Singletary’s decision to name Alex Smith as the team’s starting quarterback.

According to starting left tackle Joe Staley, the 49ers players didn’t find out about the decision to swap signal callers on Sunday until Smith greeted them in the huddle with nothing more than a simple, “Let’s Go!”

There wasn’t much hoopla about the permanent change on Monday, just players looking to get back to the team’s winning ways.

“I’m excited for him, but it doesn’t change what we’re going to do on offense,” Staley said.

For Smith personally, the news will not change the way he’s carried himself either.

“I was just as proud of myself three days ago as I am today,” said the former No. 1 overall pick of the 2005 NFL Draft. “I don’t think anything’s changed because I went out there and played. I’m the same player I was two weeks ago as I am today. I just continue to work at it and get better. With the ups and downs of this game a lot gets made of it, but I just keep playing.”

The man, who Smith’s replacing, also spoke with the media on Monday. And while it may not have been the decision he was looking for, Shaun Hill answered every question like the stand-up individual that he is.

Hill, who was a groomsman at Smith’s offseason wedding, said the relationship between the 49ers top-two quarterbacks will not change because of Monday’s news.

“This is a tough business,” Hill explained. “You’re very fortunate to find friends in this league. The business part of this league won’t change that friendship.”

The two found out about Singletary’s decision this morning when he called them in separately to discuss his reasoning.

“I don’t know if I’d say surprised, but I don’t know if I was anticipating it either,” Smith said.

Earlier in the day, Singletary said the time on the bench might have done Smith some good. But Smith has been patiently waiting to play for quite some time.

“I’ve been out for two years, so I don’t know if I was getting any hungrier.”

Smith has missed most of the last two seasons with shoulder injuries and has never been able to build off his 2006 season where he led the team to a 7-9 record and became the first 49ers quarterback to take every snap from scrimmage in a single-season.

“I’ve always wanted to play this game at a high level. Every time I step on the field, I try to do that,” Smith explained. “That’s always been the goal, try to help this team win and that’s never going to change.”

Vernon Thanks Joseph Luna

102609-davis-header

Vernon Davis was another popular topic of conversation on Monday.

Davis was asked about the quarterback change and his three-touchdown performance against the Texans, but all the 49ers tight end wanted to talk about was his inspiration for his career-day on Sunday.

As a player who prides himself on being prepared emotionally and physically for every game, Davis was taken back by a meeting he had with Joseph Luna, a 13-year-old cancer survivor, who met Davis at the lobby of the team hotel on Saturday.

102609-luna-blog-subLuna and his family met up with Davis again before the start of Sunday’s game, and Davis showed Joseph that he was wearing the bracelet Luna had given him the day before.

“It was good to see him on the field,” Davis said of seeing Joseph before the game. “I have to thank Joseph for inspiring me. I think he’s a great kid and I really enjoyed the time we shared.”

Davis was still wearing Luna’s bracelet in the locker room on Monday and plans to keep it close by forever.

“Joseph and his family really touched me,” Davis revealed. “I want to pay tribute and honor his courage. He helped me play great ball on Sunday, so I owe him a lot for that.”

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Monday’s Locker Room Talk”

1. By DB on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think Alex Smith is our QB…what, after 6 years “learning”- he’s finally able to be the clincher QB that we need? I don’t think so. I hope that we work on our offensive line giving our quarterback the protection and the time that he needs, but if it’s not Hill & it’s definitely not Smith- then who?

I trust Singletary to do what is best for the team- Go Niners!

2. By Tristan on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

That was a valiant effort out there! Stay sharp and never lose the passion for the game.

3. By nde on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Congrats for a great effort! I also want to applaud Vernon for a great game.

Alex, we’re behind you and want you to be great. Just play the game, don’t think too much just do it! We know you can.

As for taking 5, 6 years to get it, some of the best in the game have taken time to finally get it, but once they did, good things happened!

4. By cs on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

@db

This is Alex Smiths 5th year, in 2006 when he had Norv Turner he looked very good. Then Turner left and we got Hostler and Alex got hurt, the team (NOLAN) did not handle his injury well at all. Telling people he should suck it up and play.

Give the kid, yes I said kid… he is only 25 a chance. Steve Young took MANY years to mature.

5. By Michael on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

The 49ers need a qb right now alex is looking good but so was hill they need to tke chances u dont succeed with lil 5 yard passes u need someone who can make the big plays and right now i think that davis is that qb but we will see if head coach knows what hes doing. lets just hope alex dont have a repeat of last seasons.

6. By Michael on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

we need speed if u can see videos and have watched previous games wide recievers burn our db’s off the line all the time and that leads to them scoring like against atlanta. i do give the linebackers and d-line credit for holding the run but they also need to pick up the tight ends too. play more zone than man cuz with our speed man d-fence aint working.

7. By Patrick Birkeland on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

I’m actually becoming a Vernon Davis fan. He’s catching TD’s and appears to be a (i can’t believe im saying this) humble guy. Time will tell but i was hoping we wouldn’t resign him when the time came, good blocking and all but if he keeps the course we need guys like him. Good work ethic guys who play big on Sundays and make you look forward to reading about them the rest of the week. This was the 49er’s team i grew up with.

8. By Coacjh Bill on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Alex DID NOT take 5 years to develop. Only unqualified fools (including some “sports writers” would think or represent that. Starting with the Jets game in ’06, up to the final game againsst the ‘Skins, Alex showed he was ready to take it to the next level. When you get a dibilatating injury on the second snap of the fourth game of the ’07 season, after a 2 and 1 record. Then taking two years to get rehabed due to team mismanagement of his injury and losing those two years of further development is not his fault! Now he has decent receivers (who will run discilpined, dependable routes where the QB will know where his receiver will be, not like Brandon Lloyd) he can do more of what he showed Sunday with NO game plan preparation! He is the QB of the future for the Niners. Mark my words!

9. By MC on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

ALEX SMITH IS GONNA DO BIG THINGS. ALTHO SHAUN HILL CAN WIN SOME GAMES HE SIMPLY IS LIMITED IN ABILITY AS ALEX IF FAR MORE TALENTED. PLUS ALEX SEEMS TO HAVE THAT DESIRE TO BE A GREAT 49ER QB AS HE TOOK A HUGE PAY-CUT JUST TO STAY WITH THE TEAM THIS PAST OFF-SEASON. I AM ROOTING FOR THIS GUY AND IF HE CAN PLAY REASONBLY WELL, HE’LL GIVE OUR OFFENSE A NICE YOUNG NUCLEUS OF HIM, V.D., CRABTREE AND GORE!!! COUPLED W/ A DEFENSE THAT WILL CONTINUE TO GET BETTER WE CAN COMPETE FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE NEAR FUTURE…THATS RIGHT A CHAMPIONSHIP!

10. By Terrill on Oct 28, 2009 | Reply

The Niners are alright with Smith. Try him out for the year and she how he does. They have two first round picks next year (Carolina’s) so they can draft a QB next year if Alex Smith doesn’t workout. I personally think Alex will work out. He had too many offensive coordinators, a major injury and a lack of weapons in his first few years. Who’s is going to develope with different offensive coordinators every year?

11. By frickr1 on Oct 28, 2009 | Reply

To all you Alex positivos great job …..I too always have had faith in A.S. thats right A.S. it’s going to stick….Alex has had a rough start, but coach Sing is right. He watched, matured ,got hungry, learned what not to do(though there is more room for learning),gained confidance,and basicly is starting to get it….I hope he continues to floursh with his young teammates.. GO San Francisco 49ers

12. By andyj on Oct 28, 2009 | Reply

Unless Brandon Jones’ shoulder is still recuping… GET HIM OUT THERE…

13. By basil on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Way to go Alex, nice sharp pass’s that the players caught in stride, he looked really good, I don’t remember him ever throwing pass’s like that before, I couldn’t be happier for him. All I’ve ever wanted for Alex was to see what he can do with some talent around him, now he finely has that chance. The kid has taken his licks, has his butt kick and has never pointed fingers, cried, I wonder if these Smith bashers really know what kind of PAIN this kid was in with that shoulder injury.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO9ERS