49ers Regroup After Atlanta Loss

Posted by Taylor Price on October 12, 2009 – 3:42 PM

singatl-header

The way Shaun Hill sees it, there are two ways the 49ers can deal with Sunday’s 45-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. They can either dwell on the loss during the bye week or they can get back on the field and work things out.

Hill and the 49ers will choose the latter.

“Generally you have another game to rebound in a week, in this case we have to sit out and have this taste in our mouth, but this is a good time to work on some things, without a doubt,” he said on Monday.

In Hill’s estimation the game came down to execution.

“By and large we didn’t execute as well as they did,” he said.

From the vantage point of head coach Mike Singletary, the 49ers didn’t respond to the Falcons solid start.

“As a team, we learned that preparation is everything and yesterday was one of those situations where on the defensive side of the ball, it felt like they had a great game plan and we had a difficult time getting on track.

“The preparation as a coaching staff, starting with me, was not great and we just did not do a good job overall. When that happens it makes it difficult.”

The players felt the same way about their performance.

“We didn’t get it done in any phase of the game,” cornerback Nate Clements said. “I always look at myself in the mirror first. I felt like I could’ve done a lot better across the board. You can’t just pinpoint one thing in this game.”

Clements will treat the next two weeks as if the 49ers won the game.

“I take the same approach win or loss. I’ll look at the film, see the corrections that need to be made and I’ll make those corrections on the practice field,” he said. “We all know we can play a lot better.”

A lot of Monday’s locker room talk went towards Dre’ Bly’s fumble on his interception return and his mid-return showboating. On Monday, Bly addressed the media alongside of Singletary.

Bly began with this statement:

“I wanted to come to you all and publicly apologize for yesterday. I apologized to coach. I’m not a selfish guy. I didn’t mean to embarrass him, my team, ownership, or the fans. I’m a prideful guy. I like to have fun and it was totally inappropriate. I got caught up in the moment and it was wrong.”

Bly’s teammates applauded him for owning up to his mistake to the media.

“That doesn’t surprise me at all, he’s a high character guy,” Hill said.

Singletary said Bly approached him early in the morning before he could talk to the veteran about his interception.

When Dre’ came in, it’s one of those things I didn’t really expect. I thought that I was going to have to go to him because I didn’t even notice all the other stuff, the hand behind the head and all of that. I didn’t even notice that yesterday. I just knew he caught the ball, and the next thing I knew, there was a fumble. But, when I saw him holding the ball the way he was holding it, I knew there was a good chance that it would come out.

“By him coming to me and saying the things that he said, it really took off a lot of the thought process, in terms of where I was going to go with it because we are – we’re not trying to – we are building something here, something that will be special, and it is going to be a process. But, yesterday, that was just something that, as a 49er, that’s just something that we won’t do. I think now he understands that.”

More Monday Notes

-Safety Michael Lewis sustained his third concussion of the season. While the news is serious, Singletary announced on Monday that the team received positive news in regards to Lewis’ latest injury.

“Afterwards, he cleared right away, meaning that he was coherent,” Singletary said. “He understood everything that was happening, which is a very good sign. So, now it’s one of those things we have to really look at and watch day-to-day and see where it goes.”

-Singletary didn’t have any new information on linebacker Jeff Ulbrich, who sat out of the Atlanta game because of a concussion he sustained against the St. Louis Rams.

“The biggest thing about Jeff, as in Mike, we are continuing to evaluate there and we want to do all the testing we can just to make sure everything is right because everything is about them. When it comes to injuries, I want to make sure that there’s not a player on the field – practice field or playing field – that has some type of injury that could harm them going forward.”

-Singletary said there were a couple of factors in why Vernon Davis and Hill looked out of rhythm on Sunday.

“Vernon had to turn right now, but it was one of those things where the blitz was there and it didn’t get picked up and Shaun either got picked up, but Vernon didn’t have his head turned around. Or it didn’t get picked up and he had to let the ball go.”

­-Asked what the team’s biggest concern was headed into the bye week, Singletary said it was to make sure the team had the best 53 guys available.

“Whatever changes we need to make, that we make them now. Whatever things we need to clean up, we clean up then begin to go forward with that. I think that is the most important thing, to make sure we have the 53 guys that are going to be with us these next 11-plus games going forward.”

-Singletary said first-round draft pick Michael Crabtree will remain close to the facility during the bye week so he can better prepare himself for his NFL debut in two weeks.

-Singletary had a special guest at his press conference in his former college defensive coordinator at Baylor University, Corky Nelson. Singletary introduced Nelson at the end of his presser and praised him for teaching him “everything he knows about linebacking.”

“As a matter of fact, he about killed me in college and I hated him in college because he hurt me. He’s the best coach that I know to teach the fundamentals of linebacking. I can honestly say that everything that I know about linebacking, I learned from him. He wanted to come out and I’m very thankful, I’m very blessed by him, his wife, and some other friends from Baylor. I wanted to allow him to come in and listen to this. He said he wanted to it, I don’t know why, but he said he wanted to listen to it.”

-Singletary finished his press conference by leaving a message to the 49ers Faithful:

“The last thing that I want to say is this – I’m not going to apologize to the fans again, but the one thing that I want you to know after a game like yesterday it’s a situation in where you kind of sit back and go ‘Wow, I didn’t really know that could happen again.’ And the thing I will say is this, this team will be a special team, this year will be a special year. It’s unfortunate as to what happened yesterday. As a staff, we did not do a good job preparing for a team [coming off of] a bye week, but going forward, we will come back and we will get better and we will be a team for our fans to be proud of.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “49ers Regroup After Atlanta Loss”

1. By niners on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

i like manley man football too,but caveman football doesn’t have to be stupid. How about revisitng this run only mentality , do we really think we are the first team to think about it or try it. ( check out the 83 Hogs) I will take a win without a “f”. Bill Walsh said his teams would beat caveman football teams 8-10 times. Sing supposedly learned from Walsh. It sure didnt look like it yesterday!

2. By Rockon on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

If you can’t hit passes 10+ yards down the field you aren’t going to beat non NFC West teams. Period.

3. By ALEX FROM FLORIDA on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

I never tough we were going to loose that bad after seeing how we played the 1st four games. The team looked like this was the first time they had play together. You can not blame it on the defense, how you spect to win a game in any given Sunday when your offense can only score 10 points?!!
    Like Mike S, said and I believe it “this year is going to be a special year”

PS: ‘Z’ man the kids say Hi!!!!

4. By Paul on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

The offensive line needs to shore up its shortcomings, or else each game is going to be extremely tough for both the pass and run games. Shaun Hill cannot keep taking sacks and be pressured to throw. Frank Gore (when he returns) wouldn’t mind getting repeatedly stuffed at the line of scrimmage as well. If the O-line can mix it up and become more athletic and not miss assignments on a consistent basis, the offense will have a better chance of moving the ball, be it with the run or pass. In their wins, the 49ers offense needed scores in the second half and the O-line provided some excellent protection for Hill and the rest. That kind of play needs to become a standard, especially considering the coaching staff’s desire to control the tempo and ultimately, the clock.

5. By Richie on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

whatever happened to “i will not tolerate players that think it’s about them, when it’s about the team”. It’s because of that kind of stuff that we had such a bad team all theese past few years. Penalties, CELEBRATING BEFORE the score (Deion Sanders style), etc, etc, Don’t let it happen again coach

6. By Ken on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

I don’t understand it. There are a lot of talented, established players on offense and defense. Why can’t they get it done? Look at the Denver Broncos. They are 5-0 with a completely brand new team. Nobody expected them to do anything this year but somehow they can pull it together. Look at the Miami Dolphins. They went from worst to first in one year and just won an incredible Monday night game at home against the Jets. Yet with the 49ers we’re in year 6 of rebuilding and while the defense has improved (minus the Atlanta game), the offense continues to struggle every year. Yes, I know we have had a different offensive coordinator every year but there are a lot of teams that deal with newness and adversity and come out of it okay. Now, I am not a football expert and I hate armchair quarterbacks but I am frustrated, like many of the 49er fans, that this team can’t pull it together and be competitive on both sides of the ball, not just defense. I know we’re 3-2 and I’m not writing off the rest of the season but we can’t win every game with our defense. We are 1st in the league in 3 and outs!!! The offense has to start moving the ball and scoring points.

7. By shawn on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

I think Coach Singletary is working HARD to have a great season and wining.I really have to give him props on that.The one thing that I cant undrestand is what the hell happened on sunday ….Teams loose thats the way that game goes you win some and loose some .BUT the way the team was moving on and off the field with no life ”ARE THEY BURNED OUT ALREADY ”?Its only week 5..”DID THEY GET THAT BIG HEADED ”? I have some majors concerns about the health of the team as well with some of the leaders on the team.I thinkthat the coaches did play a part in the lost but over all the coaches cant play 4 u …I defence miss tooooo many tackles… and the offence did not give a 100% I live on the east coast and rite now after sundayI’m mad that I pay for the sports package just so I can see the niners play…GO NINERS.. TAKE IT OUT ON THE TEXANS…SEE YOU GUYS IN PHILLY

8. By Dave on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

I think Shaun Hill can be a good quarterback if he has some time to throw the ball and make decisions. I think the running game could take off if opposing defenses aren’t penetrating and tackling our RBs behind the line of scrimmage. Besides Vernon Davis having some good games where’s the rest of our passing game? The announcers for the game against Atlanta even said that while Shaun Hill is scrambling looking for someone to throw to, most everybody has their back to him. What is that? Where is our offense?!
    Also, I don’t care if it is Matt Ryan, our defense got torched by a 2nd year QB. What is that?!

9. By chris on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

my main concern is the O line and shaun hill! even if shaun has time to throw…..not often, can he throw it deep? do we have a fast route wideout to go deep? josh morgan i thought would have a breakout year! so confused really need to get it together! forget the nfc west we need to beat teams on the road! our schedule isnt easy coming up.

10. By Richie on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

Hi again, i just want to say this, i am one of the many mexicans (that actually live in mexico) that have been following the 49ers since Montana…at that time i was 9 years old, i remember my christmas prestent was the 49ers uniform with the number 16 on the front and on the back, then, steve young came in and gave us another championship, i live in Monterrey Mexico…and i am seriously going to the game against houston ’cause it’s only a 9 hour drive from here…my point is…i really really trust in our defese and specially in coach singletary….please do not let us down…because not only the US niner fans are with you…you have the whole world with you…it’s a niner nation…and a niner world….thank you for the happiest 3 sundays of this year, but the sadest 2 that we lost…no comment….

11. By gino on Oct 15, 2009 | Reply

Shaun Hill has definitely need to create plays, or the offense coordinator need to work on a scheme where Shaun Hill can get rid of the ball efficiently. Hill seemed frustrated and get caught in the pocket with the ball not without the ball. 1-2-3 and throw! means an open receiver! Not if the receiver has a poor route and without coordination with the QB. I think its time to reassess the offensive plays for QB to connect with the receivers. Let hill create plays when necessary.

12. By lundtyee on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

The real question of the day is “What r the niners thinking long term here?? They are wasting time trying to win a few extra games this year with Hill at QB. I like the guy and the way he takes care of the ball but that doesnt make him a QB capable of taking the niners deep into the playoffs and winning the big game….. And yet there sits Alex Smith who has not to this point looked like the man, but shouldnt they be playing him this year so that when next year rolls around they know what they have or dont have and can move forward. All playing Hill is doing is making this team worse in the future because he is simply not the long term answer even if he can win a few more games for the niners this year. I ask this… In the long run what difference does it make if we have 2 to 3 more wins this year or not? Now to add to that they bring in Crabtree which is great excpet Hill couldn’t hit him deep open or not. So again the choice to start and now stay with Hill just doesn’t make sense in my view.

13. By dr. dave on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

if the o line cant block.you must dink and dunk to the running backs and recievers.the texans are going to blitz hill and he will have no time to look downfield.on defense we must blitz their quaterback to have any chance of victory. atlanta was never touched. jimmy -look at walshes old 49er films 3-step drops and control the game

14. By shawn on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

LETS GO NINERS LETS GO …lOVE U GUYS BUTTTT WE HAVE TO PLAY BETTER ON ALLL SIDES OF THE BALL…

15. By shawn on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

LOVE YA SHAUN HILL BUT I THINK THAT THE ROOK SHOULD GET A SHOT ! HIS STATS IN COLLEGE SITTING WITH SOME PRETTY GOOD COMPANY …I KNOW ITS THE NFL BUT ITS ONLY 1 WAY TO FIND OUT….IT TOOK US COUPLE OF YEARS TO FIND OUT ALEX SMITH IS A BUM DONT TAKE TOO LONG TO FIND OUT IF NATE CAN BE GREAT !

16. By Milton Morales on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

All battles cant be won and this loss was one that left a horrible taste in our mouths but I know our team will learn from this and move beyond this. This is in the past and now its time to look ahead and worry about the next challenger and play them better at our finesse type of football the only type that our former “THE GENIUS” Bill Walsh instituted. We need to worry about getting 5+, and 5+ and stop worrying so much about the long pass we have a decent running game and our team is outstanding. Overall I am happy with my teams performance…LETS GO NINERS! LOVE MY TEAM!!!! LETS GO NINERS!!!!! #1 FAN in ORLANDO

17. By CLOMIDADVICE on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

clomid missing a dose premenstrual spotting clomid