UPDATED: Monday’s Locker Room Talk

Posted by Taylor Price on September 28, 2009 – 5:00 PM

hill-bl0g-header

“Patience, perseverance and overall optimism.”

That’s the motto 49ers starting quarterback Shaun Hill has adopted to help him out in tough situations.

“If things aren’t going well, just be patient, they will. Persevere through the tough times and at all times stay optimistic. That’s the way I play. That’s the way I’ve always been,” Hill explained of his mantra.

“That’s my own thing. I’m the new Yogi Berra I guess.”

Hill’s saying has been especially resourceful coming off a heartbreaking 27-24 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Despite the last-second defeat, Hill and the rest of the 49ers have done their best to put the game behind them.

“The only thing in my notebook right now says, ‘St. Louis,’” Hill said referring to the new center of his attention. “We turned the page on the last game and now we’re looking forward.”

It’s not like this was the first tough loss in the careers of many of the 49ers. From high school to college to previous NFL games, it’s likely that most of the players have been unsuspectingly beaten at the end of a game.

“Unfortunately, we lost a game like that when I was at Virginia Tech playing against Boston College,” second-year wide receiver Josh Morgan said. “We played them during the season and Matt Ryan threw a bomb to the running back that beat us in the last eight seconds of the game.”

But Morgan and the rest of his teammates didn’t dwell on the defeat.

“We saw them again in the ACC championship and beat them convincingly. That’s the main thing we have to do, do what I did at Virginia Tech. Hopefully we’ll see the Vikings later on and we’ll deal with it later on.”

The 49ers might also have to deal without the services of star running back Frank Gore when they host the St. Louis Rams this Sunday at Candlestick Park. Although the results of his MRI on his ankle have yet to be announced, backup Glen Coffee is ready for whatever opportunity presents itself.

“As a professional you always have to be ready when you’re number is called. That’s just the way I look at it,” Coffee said. “I just have to step in for Frank and I can’t let there be any slide in execution or production.”

Coffee should be a competent replacement for Gore. His teammates believe so, mainly because they have been intrigued with him from the day they first met him.

Rookie running back Glen Coffee has impressed his teammates so far for being "coachable."

“I was impressed with him the first day we got together at the rookie minicamp,” Hill said of Coffee.

“As many rookies do when they come in, they try to run like they did in college. They try to outrun everyone to the boundary and turn everything into an 80-yard run. Coach [Singletary] got on Glen after that first session and by that second practice he was hitting the seams and punching it up in there to get four or five yards a carry.”

Hill also complimented tight end Vernon Davis for his breakout game against the Vikings.

“Vernon made some great plays for me,” Hill said. “On top of that they were trying to get under his skin and he didn’t let that happen. I was very proud of Vernon and the way he played. He’s really come a long way. He’s a guy who I feel very comfortable with him out there.”

Along with Davis and Coffee, Hill said he’s pleased with the play of the 49ers defense.

“Our defense has played great all season,” Hill said. “They kept us in that game and they did a wonderful job for us. We kept on the field for too long and that goes back to our third-efficiency. We put them in bad situations throughout the whole game just because we couldn’t convert on third downs. They did a good job in keeping us in the ballgame.”

Hill was asked if the Minnesota loss compared to last season’s defeat on Monday Night Football against the Arizona Cardinals, to which he responded:

“Most losses feel about the same to be honest with you. We were able to move past that one and we’ll definitely do the same thing with this one.”

*INJURY UPDATES

The results of MRI on 49ers RB Frank Gore show a right ankle strain and a right hind foot sprain that will sideline him for approximately three weeks.

The results of MRI on T Joe Staley show a right quad contusion and he is listed as day-to-day.

The results of MRI on S Reggie Smith show a right groin strain and he will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “UPDATED: Monday’s Locker Room Talk”

1. By Ray Banfield on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

You guys should be proud of the way you played the entire game. Your defense this year is outstanding and Shaun is the best quarterback we seen in years. I still believe this is going to be a winning season and Josh you are right. You guys can deal with Brett and the Vikings at playoff time. In the meantime just keep doing what your doing..Ray Banfield

2. By Rocky Green on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

great article.. any news on the injuries of the O line for the niners?

3. By Andrew D. on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

The team looks more like a “team” now and are showing positive signs of improvement. Just because we lost does not mean bad playing. The team definitely shows an immense heart to win and enormous effort. I’ve always been a fan since Montana and the Young years and have always watched the games even when we lost, but now is the time to “keep pushing.” I love Coach Singletary’s philosophy of football and love the crucifix on game days. Don’t stop and keep pushing !

4. By Juan Pablo on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I like how the team had improved since last year. I’m proud of how everyone played and I think that is better to face a defeat now and learn of it. It is time to look forward and just focus in St Louis. Just one step at the time… This gonna be a winning season and for first time in many years I think we’ll be on playoffs

5. By rotohawk on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

gore is out 3 weeks? staley is day to day?

ok let’s see what you have coffee!

6. By Diggaman on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I’m a die hard 9er fan and I’m excited about the start to this season. This is a long season. I think the team never gave up and believed we had a chance all game. I do believe there are takeaways to build on from that lose. I think we should have been more aggressive offensively on our last drive. The defense was tired and I think we ran just make them use there time outs. I’m ok with 2 consecutive runs but they dared us to throw the ball and we killed them with passes in middle of the field.

7. By lc on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I know we’ll get past this. sign is a good coach. like S.hill said they got past the cards game last year. so they’ll get past this lost too.

8. By A better 2morro on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

If someone can convince Raye to at least attempt 1 pass per every set of new downs regardless of the quarter. Basically, don’t save all your passing plays until we are down in the 4 gradually use them throughout the duration of the game.

9. By 49er fan on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

vikings vs niners … hell of a game… yeah we lost.. but like mike said its better to lose now. … to add to it we didnt have healthy gore playing.. so just rest gore and vikings… we’ll see you in the playoffs…

10. By Dean Ngo on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

BUSINESS AS USUAL, PLEASE. LET PLAY OUR HEART OUT LIKE DO-OR-DIE SUPERBOWL KIND A GAME AGAINST THE RAM. PLEASE RESPECT THEM LIKE COLT/NEW ENGLAND/PITTBURG… PLAY LIKE THIS IS THE LAST GAME OF YOUR CAREER. DO NOT EVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR OPPONENT. I’m very proud of our team. Go Niners.

11. By Andy on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

The team has played past my expectations. I’ve been waiting for Vernon Davis breakout like he did this past sunday. And I believe this defense is going to be the best in the NFL. It’s great to see the 49ers playing well again.

12. By Albert Reynolds on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

That was one hell of a game and I am not dissapointed in the outcome. You guys played your hearts out, it was just rotten luck at the end. All though you maybe should have mixed a pass into the last series of downs, seeing how well S. Hill was throwing and all. But all and all great game guys.

13. By Ryan on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Good for you guys. As much as it killed me to lose that game, you guys showed what you were made of. The Viks know they shouldn’t have won that game, and that Farve’s glory day bs can only go so far (just ask the Jets). This loss will make you all better. It is just so good to have a cohesive team again. Keep fighting!

14. By ron on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

was born in San Francisco in 1967 and grew up with a father that loved sports. It was well known around the house that you had to love the 49ers and hate the Rams and Cowboys or else. So I grew up watching the cowboys knock the 49ers out of the playoffs over and over again. That was why “The Catch” was the greatest play in the history of sports to my family.

I loved those days that soon followed. The 49ers were good, their defense was hard hitting, and you had great players on the field and off the field that you could look up too. I knew the offense very well in those days, calling the next play from my couch in the living room. Most of the time I would get the call right, or in my eyes, close enough to call it the same play. But now I live in “Hell” Southern Mississippi.

I can’t afford Direct TV being a single parent with 4 children and the 49ers are rarely on national TV anymore. This year I was lucky enough to get a baby sitter for my children and watch the first two games at a bar. The third game I listened to most of it from my daughter’s phone, however it kept cutting out. I missed the last 10 minutes of the game but saw the big plays later on ESPN. What I have seen and heard reminds me of a young 1980’s team that was on the verge of greatness.

The defense can hit and are playing tough like I remembered. We got a good running team with Gore and Coffee. Hill reminds me a little of Montana. Now before you start saying that I am crazy to compare Hill and Montana remember I watch Montana when he was battling Steve Deburg for the starting position. Deburg had a better arm and often played better but he didn’t control the game as well. It took time for Montana to get comfortable with the game. Montana also had the great play calling and the birth of the West Coast Offense at his disposal. I think Hill can be a very good QB in this league. What he needs is better play calling. He probably will never come close to what Montana did, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t do very well.

We need to go back to the short passes to spread out the defense so that we can run the ball. Give Hill this and I believe that we can become unstoppable. The pieces are in place and Singletery has the team in the right mental state that is needed to get better. The players have bought in to his way of thinking and I don’t see any “Divas” that will get in the way. To sum up my message to this team is stay the course. Keep trying as hard as you can. Don’t get to cocky. And please mix up the play calling and give Hill the tools necessary to win the games.

We lost last week because we could not get one first down when we needed it. I did not see that part of the game and don’t even know what plays were called, but I would bet a 5 yard slant over the middle or a screen might have worked. Please keep up the good work because we are all counting on you.

From a loyal 49RFAN

15. By king kolohe on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

our niners should be nothing but proud of how they’ve played this season! this will be the last time farvre does this to us. we’ll see them in the play offs and will see how much wear and tear mr. farve has sustained by then. hold your heads up! we believe that you believe that the world will see what this team is capable of. one game at a time and always forward no back back. as they say here in hawaii “get em!”

16. By Julienne on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

WOW, This is the year i’ve been waiting for. Its been 6 long years since my number 1 favorite team has made the playoffs. The “49ERS” are 4-REAL!!! They ALL are PLAYING GREAT like CHAMPIONS. Even though there a Young team but matured team because of “IRON MIKE”. I KNOW “Vernon Davis”, “Frank Gore”, Josh Morgan, Shaun Hill, Isacc Bruce, Glen Coffee, Delanie Walker and the O-LINE are gonna get better and better as the “09” season goes on. I have a FEELing that a few starting players ARE gonna MAKE the PRO BOWL in “2010” :) I LOVE THE (NINERS) and the “D-FENSE”, OH MY!!! They LOOK LiKE there playin with an EDGE and FIRE in there PLAYing. Maybe like the “85” or TOP 1-5 49ERS DEFENSE Back in the 80s and 90s. But IF the NINERS “D” KEEPS getting BETTER and COMFORTABLE PLAYin MORE of a 1 UNIT TEAM then “SKIES THE LIMIT” for this FRANCHISE :D WELL I AM EXCITED that the RAMS are comming to “OUR HOUSE”, OUR TURF because after that NIGHTMARE Lose, ITS Time to FIX and SOLVE the Problems/Mistakes against the ST. LOIS RAMS. RAMS, “THE 49ER FAITHFUL” KNOWS that THIS SUNDAY, ITS ALL BUI$NE$$ and PERSONAL. “HIT EM IN THE MOUTH” LiKE what “MiKE SINGLETARY” said and HIS TEAM KNOWS how ITS DONE!!! GO NINERS

17. By Bill on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Gore must be some horse to have a right hind foot. I just have one right foot and I think that is normal.

18. By ambrose dauda jr on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

compare to last year 9ers is a different team. i love the defense. Vernon your are a beast. go NINERS

19. By Mo on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Reply coment to Ron …Loyal 49 Fan

Well said,you know your 49ers fball.I hope someone will listen to your insight it can only help