Where Are They Now: Garrison Hearst

Posted by Scott Kegley on September 8, 2009 – 11:08 AM

090809-hearst-blog-header

Khalil Garriott of NFLPlayers.com wrote a nice feature piece on former 49ers running back Garrison Hearst.  The two-time NFL Comeback Player of the Year award winner is back at home in Georgia, raising his three children.

Read more about Hearst, who played for San Francisco from 1997 to 2003.

Tags:
Posted in Uncategorized | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Where Are They Now: Garrison Hearst”

1. By Scott Johnson on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

I just loved the guy. Fantastic competitor and wonderful Niner. I wish him the very best in life. He gave his all for us.

2. By Mathieu Boon on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

Garrison Hearst was incredible in that 1998 run to the playoffs, I really thought that this 49ers team had superbowl written all over them with S.Young, J.Rice,T.O , G.Hearst, an incredible O.Line and run defence, our only weakness at the time was our D. backs(except for M.Hanks).. I was so sad when Hearst got that terrible injury on the first play of the game against the Falcons in the playoffs… Very bad moment for him, the SF organisation and the fans… I was very happy he made it back though.. Thanks for all the fun G.Hearst, you’re the greatest running back the niners had in the nineties, I loved all your big play runs.. Great memories man, thanks again, I hope you’re doing great you and your family.

3. By Ricardo aka Ricky49 on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

Hearst and Gore are my favorite 49er running back oh and we can’t forget Rodger. The 49ers had 2 legitimate chance’s of going to the Superbowl with Hearst at RB once with Young at QB and the other with Garcia at QB both of those seasons Hearst was the best RB in the league in my eyes and even though he was only with the 49ers for 6 seasons he will always be a 49er in the eyes of the 49er Faithful. From the 99 yard TD run in OT vs the Jets, to his 12 carries 144 yards vs the Clots in Indy after coming back from reconstructive ankle surgery and making Jim Mora explode with his now famous “Playoff’s” commercial. Garrison Hearst should be remember for his toughness his braveness and for coming to play each Sunday and leaving all on the field. That’s my kind of Football Player. Thank you for the memories Garrison God bless and wish you the best.

4. By James Wohlford on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

The OT TD run against the Jets still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Best of luck GH.

5. By Chris on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

Arguably the best run in monday night history against the Jets in overtime when he ran 96 yards for the TD.

6. By Liberato Villavicencio on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

I remember when he was the team in 98 i thought we would have defeated ATL that year if he didnt suffer that nasty injury at the Dome sure miss the guy just brings back memories when he ran 98 yards against the Jets on opening week that was sweet

7. By RichG on Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

Garrison, you represent what Niner football is all about. I wish you the best life possible and more kids(or good luck trying to make them!) You ar one of my favorite Niners of all time. Best of luck to you and yours. “May the wind be at your back, the tide on your side, time in your favor and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you’re dead.” Irish Proverb.

8. By R.W.D on Sep 9, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for all the hard play and take care Garrison! A great 49’er RB

9. By GCvanderL on Sep 9, 2009 | Reply

One of my favorite Niners of all time. I always loved the way he ran. To bounce back and play the way he did after the type of injuries he endured– this guy was all heart. I still remember that overtime run against the Jets like it was yesterday. One of my most memorable moments in Niner history. I’m still trying to look for that NFL Films episode they had on him. Thanks Garrison for your indomitable effort and spirit as a Niner RB. And you will always be a Niner to us.

10. By KIMBLE POWELL on Sep 9, 2009 | Reply

Those were the days when teams feared coming to the bay area and playing us.I hope this will be our year to get back to greatness and be a contender once again……. thank you garrison for all the great years

11. By Miguel on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

This guy was a beast at running back…I remember when he came back from that leg injury and showed everyone that he could still run over people like they weren’t even there…i remember it took at least 2 thru 3 defenders to bring this guy down…Heart was amazing and inspiring to watch..Till this very day he is still my favorite 49er..

12. By steve-o on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Best niner RB of 90s bar-none. Had he wouldn’t of recieved that leg/knee injury against the Falcons, I believe we would of won that game, and possibly make it to the Super Bowl again. We had a very powerful ground attack, behind Gogan and Brown. Man that game was ours for the taking, even with our week secondary. Man I’m getting upset. Your the Best G-Man and thank you.

13. By david on Sep 13, 2009 | Reply

That dude was an awesome 9er.

14. By jose on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

hears was agood ball player but i think that gore will take the niners all the way this year

15. By jose on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

hearst is a good ball player but if gore and hearst played together niners will do all the way but niners has coffee and gore to good running backs

16. By jose on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

the niners need more practice on offence so gre or coffee can go for longer run and gain yardage and have a higher scoring game but niner defence is good