On Now
Coming Up
  • There are no Events to display in this category.

Blogs

Singletary Announces Roster Moves

Posted by Scott Kegley on August 30, 2009 – 3:41 PM

Head coach Mike Singletary spoke to the Bay Area media on Sunday following the 49ers 20-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys.   Singletary began his conference call by announcing five roster cuts in order to get the team down to 75 players on the roster.  The players who were release0de were kicker Alex Romero, cornerbacks Jahi Word-Daniels and Carlos Thomas, and wide receivers Chris Francies and Mark Bradford.

Singletary was asked several questions regarding his view on the game now that he’s watched the game film.

“It starts with the quarterback situation.  I’m thankful that Shaun was able to come in after the week that he had,” Singletary said. “Obviously he wasn’t as sharp as we wanted him to be.  We’re also missing Snyder and it will be nice to get Baas back as well… I thought the running game was decent.  It wasn’t all bad, it just wasn’t what it had been.”

Reporters also asked about his evaluation of his team’s pass rushing efforts in Dallas.

“Right now, we’re not really game planning and we’re just letting our guys go with their best rush,” Singletary said. “It’s something we have to have in order to be a successful defense.  As we get closer to the season, I look for more of those things to happen.”

Singletary later complimented the play of rookie quarterback Nate Davis.

“Nate continues to do a decent job.  I think he’s settling down and the game is slowing down for him just a bit.  Nate has done a good job finding guys and that’s always good to see.”

Lastly, Singletary was asked if the team would consider bringing in a new tackle to replace Marvel Smith, who retired prior to the Cowboys game.

“We continue to look at what we need in order to be successful on the offensive side of the ball.  If we need to get another guy, then we’ll do that.”

Singletary also announced that outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks has a left knee contusion that caused him to be limited in action against Dallas. Also, wide receiver Arnaz Battle suffered a shoulder contusion in the game and safety Michael Lewis suffered a concussion.


Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments »


5 Responses to “Singletary Announces Roster Moves”

  1. By Javier V. on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

    after watching the game i have to say that nate davis has really impressed. Everyone is talking about how he’s not ready to play as a starter, but id have to disagree.i think he’s closer than most think. Eventhough he was goin up against a second-team of defenders, he made throws that our starting qb would struggle with. He stood tall in the pocket and showed the ability to climb in the pocket(something alex has struggled with). The play that best displayed these abilities was the pass to TE J.J. Finley that set up RB Kory Sheets’ first touchdown. Davis showed great presence in the pocket,a good feel for the rush and finished with a strong throw to the tight end.(I dont even think Finley was touched down on that play and should have been awarded with a TD) The one questionable decision(in my opinion) was the throw to WR Jason Hill on the roll out when we had our backs against the wall, BUT can you name another niner QB who could have made that throw? Neither could I. And the throw was actually put in a descent spot for WR Jason Hill to make a play. in conclusion i dont see how the Forty Niners can do anything but award Nate Davis wth the third QB spot.

  2. By shane on Aug 31, 2009 | Reply

    I say we traid craptrree for brandon marshall.. what do you think?

  3. By Ronnie on Aug 31, 2009 | Reply

    dump alex smith & make nate davis the #2 vQB

  4. By Ed on Aug 31, 2009 | Reply

    I agree cut Smith promote Davis to second and watch him grow He has skills and could mature into something very special. Lets not forget the niners have had great sucess in drafting quarterbacks in the late rounds in the past.

  5. By Phreak on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

    I would not trade one bad apple for another.. no point.. there both going to cause issues in the locker room.. So i say keep crabtree and if he signs great..
    if not let him re-enter into the draft.. the ninner need to push the League to block players who hold out for the first year to enter back into the draft. You either sign with your team at a caped level or you do not play in the NFL..
    Nate is going to be some day a great QB but right now as a number 2 he is not
    Smith has some talent.. he was tossed into the game to fast and prob should not have been drafted after only 2 years of University ball.. was way to young and then tossed into a starting roll.. give him a year on the bench learning and getting healthy and he will back a good solid QB down the road.. Davis looked good
    but lets not rush him, keep him as a 3rd QB for the start of the season and see..
    To many teams are rushing rookies into the starting lineup and hurting them in the long run…

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,882 other followers