49ers Gear Up For Dallas

Posted by Taylor Price on August 28, 2009 – 1:19 PM

082709-gearupforroad-header

Head coach Mike Singletary made two important announcements on Friday, right before his team boarded a plane for Dallas.

One, Shaun Hill will start against the Cowboys this Saturday night. And two, tackle Marvel Smith will not travel with the team due to personal reasons.

Singletary added that Hill’s playing time has not been determined. “He’ll start the game and we’ll go from there,” Singletary said.

Veteran tackle Barry Sims will get the start in place of Smith and Adam Snyder, as the team’s two top right tackles on the depth chart are both unavailable. Snyder will be resting a knee injury he sustained against the Oakland Raiders.

Singletary said he doesn’t know how long his starters on both sides of the ball will play. He said the coaches will see how the game is going then they’ll make playing time decisions from there.

With this being the 49ers third preseason game, Singletary wants to see his players “continue to make steps.”

Making this game even more crucial is how backups will be making their final push for roster spots. But the same thing can be said for the entire team.

“For the guys that are on the edge every game is very important, every snap is,” Hill said. “That doesn’t just go for them, that goes for everybody. It’s a very important game for everyone on this team. For the guys that are going to be starting, we need to establish a tempo, do some good things, and get some confidence. As far as the backups are concerned, this is a huge opportunity for them.”

Patrick Willis said the chance for backups to compete against a talented team like the Cowboys would only be beneficial to everyone in the long run.

“I think it’s very big,” Willis said.  “To go out there and have a good game against a good-caliber team like the Cowboys, it means a lot across the board from the ones to the twos. Coach [Mike Singletary] will say all the time, ‘We don’t have backups. We have guys who come in and when they’re in there, they’re starters at that point in time.’ So, it’s going to be really big across the board.”

Rookie Waiters

It’s hard enough to prepare yourself for your first preseason road game in the NFL when you’re a rookie. But when veteran players are demanding you buy them food for the plane ride, life can become a lot more difficult.

Tackle Alex Boone is getting to learn what rookie life in the NFL is all about.

Alex Boone found himself in that situation after Friday’s “mock game” practice. As soon as the players trotted off the practice fields, Boone began fielding lunch orders from all the offensive linemen.

After ordering six pizzas and 12 sandwiches, Boone was relieved to get his order in.

“My pizza order was ridiculous,” Boone said. “I’m excited though, I got a medium pizza.”

Boone said he wasn’t irritated that he had to order pizza. “I guess that’s what rookies have to do,” he said.

Rather, he was annoyed with the pizza parlor’s manager.

“The guy seemed so flustered he kept telling me to, ‘Slow down, slow down!’” Boone said. “I kept telling him he had to hurry with my order because if the delivery was late, my teammates would be so mad at me.”

But Boone got his order in and now it’s time for him to get a lot of playing time against the Cowboys, which is an opportunity he’s relishing.

“I’m not at all nervous or excited about this game; I’m just going to do what I do best and have some fun with it.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “49ers Gear Up For Dallas”

1. By Tony Martin on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

All of you guys have it this time, now all you need to do is gel!! YOU CAN DO IT! WE ALL HAVE AND ARE FAITH-FUL.

2. By lance mcknight on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

its only preseason ,but i personly think this is a big game for are first units on both sides of the ball. its are first road game against a talented team, we should be able to tell how far are team has come under coach sing. personaly i think we are going to run the ball down the boys throat, and we will show the league that we are a playoff team this year. preseason or not you never want to lose against the cowgirls……………were ready go niners….time to show the league we are back!!!!!!!!!!

3. By caricogar on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, you have to beat the Cowboys. My boyfriend is a cowboys fan, I am a Faithful 49er Fan (30 +years). I know you can do it. I have Faith in all of you. Good luck guys

4. By ziggy on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

i agree i got a good feeling about this year :>)

5. By Matt on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

Like i’ve always said…I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A 49ERS FAN!!! ALWAYS HAVE BEEN…ALWAYS WILL BE TO THE END!!! i am part of the 49ers faithful. SO GUYS….GEAR UP AND LET’S GO TO DALLAS AND KICK SOME BUTT!!!! DALLAS GET READY CUZ HERE WE COME!!!

6. By Jason on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

I live in Dallas and I can’t wait to see the NIners run a mudhole in this new stadium. 21 for 2100 yards and 21 touchdowns this season!

7. By GAX on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

NINER TILL I DIE!!!!! TEAR IT UP BOONE! SHOW SINGLETARY WHAT YOUR MADE OF

8. By NAte on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

I have a really good feelin about this yr…Niner Nation Stand Up!!! But it would be nice to have a quality back up like F. Garcia or V. Young.

9. By david on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

GO NINERS! i love the way the team is playing,remarkable ground game.hopfuly the air game will improve.keep up the great work Mike Singletary.

10. By roach on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

The niners will make the playoffs BEFORE the cowgirls do!!! Good attitude Good coach Good season.

11. By mike on aug 28,2009 on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

lets go niners!!!! looks like its going to be one hell of a season.Cowboys aint got nothing they got no wideouts

12. By Julio on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

I’m a fan in Texas, kick butt NINERS. I know you will have a great season in 09. The defense is solid and bold, and the offensive running game is beautiful. I know we’ll stay true to the Walsh West Cooast offense eat them up short, kill them long. Love You NINERS!!!!

13. By Dan on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

I think this is the most excited about 49er football in along time. I love Singletarys honesty. When he speaks he grabs my attention. I can see the hunger in the players aswell. I’m really liking what i’m seeing out of Nate Davis and the whole team. This is a little personal but my dad is dying of cancer and this might be the last season he gets to see them play, and i’m just praying they can give him some insperation to keep fighting.

14. By DARRELL WILLIAMSON on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

WE GOT THE BEST D I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME SO LETS SHUT THE COWBOYS DOWN AND RUN ALL OVER THEM WITH GORE AND COFFE.

15. By Steve on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

This is where it all turns around. Thanks to Coach Singletary and his staff, not to mention the fine talents that hhave been added to the team, they shall reclaim the NFC West!

GO NINERS!!

16. By louis on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

i will like to se crabtree on the feld

17. By Floyd on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

LETS GO NINERS!!!!! It’s y(our) year fellas. WHO WANTS TO MAKE A PLAY…. The hardest part is done.. GOOD LUCK MAN…GREAT JOB TO ALL THE COACHES, They look good this year!!!!!!!!!

18. By Mike on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

Does anyone know where I can find the record for all the niner vs raiders games?

19. By Shaun on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

Let’s Go NINERS! Let’s show we have a pass ruch and knock the snot out of Tony Romo!

20. By jose on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

niner til the end, come on niners beat the cowboys. Show the fans that the 49ERS are back.GO NINERS!!!!!!

21. By MIke Miller on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

I have been saying “this is the year” for the last few years now. This year I really feel different and think that the 49ers will finish well and perhaps be champion contenders.

22. By 49SURGE on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

I’m over 30 and live in Chicago, i have all my life. Joe Montana was my favorite growing up. Ever since I was eight, I can remember cheering the Niners on. I have a lot of arguments with co-workers but I can defend myself well knowing 9er history very well. All these Bear-Country lovers cant handle the truth. Another Super Bowl in our future will be icing on the cake once again. I hope Cutler does nothing to help the Bears and as good as the 9ers look, I am Loving it. Go NINERS

23. By Royana Weickym on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

This old grandmom get’s her exercise every time #76 Kyle Howard show up on the T.V screen, I jump up out of my rocking chair !