Hill Named Starter For ’09 Season

Posted by Taylor Price on August 24, 2009 – 3:50 PM

shill-1q-header

Head coach Mike Singletary announced Monday that Shaun Hill will be the 49ers starting quarterback when the regular season begins. The 8-year pro finished the 2008 season with a 5-3 record as the starter, including wins in four of the last five games. In his career, Hill has a 7-3 record with 2,547 yards passing and 18 touchdowns through the air.

“This morning I brought them (Hill and Alex Smith) in together and had them understand why we made the decision and how important it is for them to continue to push each other and compete,” Singletary said. “I thanked them for how they’ve been throughout this whole process. I feel very fortunate to have both of them. They both made great strides. I’m very excited about how Shaun ended last season and how he’s progressed through the offseason.”

Posted in Uncategorized | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Hill Named Starter For ’09 Season”

1. By jav on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Another good move by coach sing

2. By Snake Plissken on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

I love Singletary, Shaun deserved it last season! -All Shaun Hill does is win! -He’s the Chad Pennington of the NFC!

3. By tristan on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Congrats to Shaun!! good move by organization, and us fans should be happy!! With Hill in we will finaly get our 3,000yd passer 20td playoff QB!!! Alex be ready, Hill is your buddy but did get banged up in 2 games in 07 and had to sit the last game. Although Alex didnt win the job to start the season, he still could prove himself in the regular season!!

4. By Abe on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

HC Singletary made it clear that Smith would really have to make a huge contribution in the offseason and preseason to win the starting job. He did well in OTA’s and camp but when the preseason began his performance dropped a bit. Hopefully, he can intergrate himself into the offense now that OC Raye is sticking around. With the tremendous strides Smith has been taking this whole offseason he has no place to go but up right? Congrats Hill! Lead the way. Go Niners!!!

5. By Gabriel on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Shaun Hill deserved it. Good decision by coach singletary and the staff. I hope Alex takes this as a motivation and chip on his shoulder to get better. I can say that we have one of the best group of QB’s in the league in terms of depth. they both have my support and I dont want to see a difference in the level of play no matter who is in there covering for the other. Go shaun and alex WIN THE WEST!!!!!!!

6. By joe gonz on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Smart choice. Shaun has proven capable of leading a mediocre offensive unit so it’ll be interesting to see him lead a much improved supporting cast. Niners finish 10-6 and in the playoffs.

7. By bug on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Go 49ers great job coaching staff

8. By ben on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

I liked the move singletary! You just saved your job! Shaun is more polished quaterback then alex period. I think with Shaun being named the starter the team can move foward and get a 10-6 record and make the playoffs this year! With Alex the team might have reached 8-8! Go niners I ready to see you guys make the playoffs this year!

9. By loswood on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

greatest choice by sing so far!

10. By jeremy on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

Congrats to Shaun Hill ! Going from undrafted rookie to starter shows perseverance. Someday Alex Smiths time will come.

Nearly every player needs to learn the character lessons that only time on the bench can teach.

11. By allout4theniners on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

thank u singletary he may not be the best qb but he’s the best we got, hope fully next year you’ll look for a good qb in draft and wr’s who won’t holdout like crabtree then we’ll have a playoff caliber team keep up the good work sing, oh yeah if crabtree doesn’t want to play trade him for a wr who will, not to be mean to u alex smith but it’s time to find a new home you killing our salary cap last thought patrick willis u the man keep it up

12. By stangdog on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

allout4theniners, you better hold off on that “drafting a good QB idea”. Shaun is only 29, if he takes us to the playoffs this year -like I’m sure he will- we may have our QB for the next 6-7 yrs. All he does is win games. Take a look at the tape of Maryland beating Clemson for the ACC championship game. The dude may not be flashy, but the dude is smart. In this league you need a qb who can methodically move the ball down the field and not make mistakes that cost you the ball game. I don’t believe Joe Montana was known for having an extremely strong arm, he just wins baby.

13. By Denis Dufrenne on Aug 26, 2009 | Reply

Crabtree, I watched you for two years at TTU – word of advice – GET TO WORK!

14. By Denise on Aug 27, 2009 | Reply

Has Crabtree signed yet or is he still holding out?

15. By Hussler on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

My perdiction is that Shawn Hill is not part of what HC Singletary see’s for this team in the future. He’s making the smart choice with Hill. Hill will give the our 49ers a chance to win some games but most important players will have a chance to develop. I think Hill’s play will start to go down 4 or 5 games into the season. I don’t believe that Smith will do much with this opportunity but I think there is a chance that Nate Davis might. Here’s hoping

16. By Frankitho on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

Alex Smith es mejor que Shaun, lo que hace Hill es entregarle el balon a Frank Gore no hace jugadas grandes que es lo que se espera de un equipo como los 49ers.

TU ERES MEJOR ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!!!!

17. By troy elliot on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

I’m not a genius to figure out that Nate Davis should be considered as the starter. The team doesn’t owe Alex Smith a spot on the team just because they wasted a number one pick and a bunch of money on him. Get over it and cut your losses.