No Decision Made on Starting QB

Posted by Scott Kegley on August 23, 2009 – 1:49 PM

smith-hill-oak-header

In his conference call with the media on Sunday, head coach Mike Singletary did not name a starting quarterback.  Singletary and the coaching staff will review the film from the game and be very detailed in their evaluation before coming to such a decision.

“I have to look at some more film,” Singletary said. “It takes me a little longer than some other people.”

Alex Smith injured his thumb against the Raiders making a tackle after his pass intended for Josh Morgan was intercepted by linebacker Ricky Brown.  Smith will be evaluated and is day-to-day.  Singletary insisted that the injury will have no impact on which quarterback is ultimately selected to start against the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 13.

Other notes from the conference call included:

-  The main thing that jumped out to Singletary after watching the game was the physicality. “The execution of the offensive line was a challenge going into the game. We had to have it in order for our quarterbacks to develop. The running game allowed them to have a bit of a comfort zone.”

- Adam Snyder injured his right knee and ankle in the game.  He will be evaluated before any update is given on his condition.

- Singletary praised the play of both the offensive line and running backs.  “I think it goes hand in hand. If you put a running back behind an offensive line that is not good, he could be the greatest in the world and you’d never know. For a rookie, the more [Glen Coffee] plays the better he’s going to get.”

- Singletary was pleased with the effort of the defense which has forced six interceptions in the first two preseason games.  “It’s nice to see that early on. We certainly would like for that to be a trademark of the defense. The most important thing is do your job, the reason those turnovers happen is because guys are in the right place.”

- Linebacker Scott McKillop, guard Chilo Rachal, safety Reggie Smith and cornerback Carlos Thomas were a few of the young players who stood out to Singletary. “There are a few guys who did a nice job.  Scot McCloughan and his staff have done a great job of bringing in guys who can play, so I take my hat off to him.”

- The 49ers will travel to Dallas next Saturday, a game in which the starters will probably see more playing time.  “For us, the thing I really want to focus on is it’s our first road game and we’re playing a talented football team. I know they’re considered an elite team. We have to continue to take steps and move forward in being the team we want to be.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “No Decision Made on Starting QB”

1. By Jason on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

Go Nate !!!!!

2. By ajdaddy2008 on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

Last night was my 1st niner game and it was the best it had its up’s and downs but thats football…. b4 the game i got 2 see mr. wills and this guy is simply beast…. got his autograph as well thanks so much i plan on going again soon hopefully go niners

3. By ButchD1 on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I agree with the coach right now. Cause ya what to have the right person in at QuarterBack. Alex has had some bad years being banged up. But also this could be his year he could break out. But on the other hand Shawn has been promising Good day and bad. But two has won games also. I saying what and them them fight it out untill preseason is over and the quarterback who overall does better will start as QB1 Good job Coach Singletary

4. By Reggie on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I hope Alex gets the job. He will only get better with time.

5. By Matt on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I don’t care who wins the starting QB spot but who ever it is make sure you can lead us to a winning season!!! Like Singletary said “Let’s go out and hit’em in the mouth”. That’s exactly what we need to do. We are doing a very good job so far but after all…it’s only pre-season. Let’s knock out some teeth this year guys and show the rest of the league that the NFC West IS NOT the weakest division in the NFL!!!!! GO NINERS

6. By Xavier on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I dont think a decision should be made based of this game, neither QB epressed enough, and alot of smith’s passes should have been caught including the INT pass! lets see what they do in dallas! Good luck to both QB”S

7. By Josh Ruffing on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

should go to alex i mean seriously throws a catchable ball and it reflects in the air off the reciever and falls into the defense… I mean instead of being down by that he ran straight to the guy and brought him down that is just showing that he really wants it and is a total team player… Alex is lookin good to me with how i see the game.. Nice work Smith…. Keep it up.. Makes the offense trust u and feel u more…

8. By captainkirk on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

Well first off they both looked ok and I wish them both luck. We have to remember smith had his time when it comes to QB and I think he should have to work even harder then the rest if he wants to win. I know its not always the QB fault that passes are dropped or intercepted but there are many other teams where the no name recievers were turned into stars

9. By VALERI on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I THINK THE STARTER SHOULD BE HUARD…

10. By duhble on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

yea alex did better than his stats,you can he wants it.

11. By Sean on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I think Alex should get it. A lot of those incompletions were not his fault, and that pick should have been caught. Not only was his tackle very nice, but that block he threw that decked the raiders d-lineman was incredible. He has improved a lot, and I think (especially because of the amount of money he’s getting paid) he should be the starter. But good luck to both guys!

12. By mike on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

alex smith is the futer of this team. he played well in the oakland game.

13. By chris on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

Nate davis looks better than both quarterbacks so far…shaun hills good because he can get the ball off quick…alex smith holds on to the ball to long and doesn’t make good decisions…the next to games should be a battle between nate davis and shaun hill

14. By chris on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

alex need to be traded

15. By chris on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

He will never be a good QB in nfl

16. By redrum21225 on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

That tipped INT that smith threw was NOT a good throw. He threw it too high going across the middle. He still lacks precision, presence, and good decision making under pressure. Hill should start. Eventually, Nate Davis will emerge and prove to be the sleeper in the 2009 draft class. He had the best performance against the raiders yesterday. In time, Nate will be the 49ers future franchise QB.

17. By Michael on Aug 23, 2009 | Reply

I know Nate was only out there for short length of time but he really impressed me. Confident,power, and has potential.

18. By Michael on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

You have to give major props to Robinson he was on FIRE!

19. By kevin on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

wow anybody that thinks alex smith can lead this team they havent seen him play. Shaun hill had a bad game but against denver and last year he was very capable alex smith is not our future

20. By Travis on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Why are we wasting time with Alex Smith. Everyone makes excuses for him.. Let him be the backup and let Shaun Hill run the show… If you wait too long for aituaions to to be exactly right i.e. (line blocking, running backs moving the ball, etc.”) and he doesn’t produce what are you waiting on?? I’m a long time 49er fan and I remember the glory days where the offense cliked on all cylinders.. I mean Jeff Garcia made the Pro Bowl with a mediocre team and he’s small with a weaker arm… Why isn’t Alex Smith successful we have a running game and the receivers are promising.. o all of you stop making excuses and make Shaun Hill the starter and make Nate Davis the backup…

21. By Jack Maxfield on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

its good to see some support for Smith. I think he did very well and Hill look very poor. For a long time people have been against smith but you can tell that he loves this team. He took the pay cut hes throwing blocks and tackling defenders that get easy pics off should have been caught balls. GO SMITH!

22. By charlie on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

alex smith, i think should be the starting QB he is really showing that he wants it. with more games he plays the better he will be. I have faith that he will be great QB for the 49ers. don’t get me wrong, shaun hill is also a good QB. either way both of them will be good for the 49ers.

23. By ziggy on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

shawn hill should be our starter.hes got more confidence.

24. By Jeff Barkee on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

We’ll see what happens versus Dallas. It’s still up for grabs.

25. By John Gonzales on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Smith is Hungry, you can see by the way he plays that he’s sick and tired of being sick and tired. He’s still young, he has a few years under his belt, and he wants to play. Thats evident by how he out his injured shoulder down and laid out Ellis who is not a small dude. Plus you want to talk about arm strenght, Hill has nothing on the ball were as Smith was gunning it so hard the receivers could barely hold on. He ran the game very well and made throws that should have been caught. He was also putting the ball where the receiver could pick up positive yardage after the catch, he was also throwing to the receivers but away from the defender which was the case with the missed ball by Issac Bruce. Same with the interception, he threw the ball high so that only the receiver had a chance at it, if you look at that play going high was the only option cause if the receiver misses then the ball sails over all the defenders and no chance at an interception. He looked crisp, poised, and comfortable out there were as Hill looked at times almost like a fan they put in pads and lets play a few series. Alex is the future.

26. By Jeremy on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

I am pulling for Hill to win the QB job, but Singletary saying that he saw ‘nothing spectacular’ is probably the nicest way to summarize the passing game vs. Oakland. Both Hill and Smith were below 50% in their completion percentage and had dismal qb rating percentages. If you drop the qb rating minimum Alex Smith’s qb rating would be 4.2%. His interception was gunned at the head of Morgan(?) unnecessarily, so you can’t blame only the receiver for the pick. Responsibility on that has to be shared by both qb and receiver.

Hopefully we will see another week before a decision is made.

27. By James on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Alex Smith is the Future of this team. He is smart and he rarely throws a bad pass. he is getting more confident this year and has alot to show us but he still has one thing that concerns me. He holds on to the ball alot longer than I think is necessary and I think that Hill will start this year and Smith will have a year to continue to grow. But whoever does start will do well for our team and I can’t wait to see what they do this year.

28. By Travis on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Alex Smith is the future for who? I son’t know why we picked him anyways… Can you see Alex Smith taking the 49ers to the SuperBowl? Really C’mon.. And I’m tired of annoucers, commentators and fans making excuses for these guys… Shaun Hill has “Moxy” to win games now… forget about as one of you said”Smith gets better the more he plays…” his career #’s are 19td and 31 int…. doe that sound like a winner? I you dodn’t know it was Alex Smith would you want the 49ers to hire as starter a guy with these #”s?Get serious guys..

29. By Travis on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

That’s a loser’s mentality if you would…

30. By Enigo on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Sadly, Huard has looked better than all Niner QB’s…
    Whoever is NOT picked as the starter needs to leave town and END any further speculation. Cut the loser between Hill and Smith, and keep Davis and Huard. I’m tired of this…

31. By Just Ozzy on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Cut both those bums and trade one of our first round picks for Brady Quinn. I’m sick of us sucking every year. How can I be a fan when there is nothing to cheer about.

32. By Armando L M on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Is it only me or did Nate Davis look better and a lot more comfortable passing the ball than either Smith or Hill? I mean, if they give him more opportunities I think we might just have a good QB on our team.

33. By Sam T. on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

I hope they can keep 4 QBs because the real battle should be between Huard and Nate as the starter. As Nolan would have said it, Hill isn’t the prettiest girl. He’s a gamer and can ger ‘er done, but he isn’t a world beater (kind of a Dilfer on the 2000 Ravens). I think we all want Smith to be the guy, but he’s just not quite making the best reads right now. He was trying to get his receivers killed in the middle against Oakland. We have to feel good about our future with Nate! Let’s all just hope the D & the ground game keeps it goin’.

34. By Nick Frontiero on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

This is a no-brainer. Everyone is jumping on the Alex Smith bandwagon on here….but I’m sorry, I can’t do that. Shaun Hill is our guy, he’s proven more to this team in just ten starts than Alex has in 4 years of being “the guy”. Shaun is always the second or third choice, and we always depend on him to clean up whatever mess has been made prior to his mid season runs. Last year, we were 2-6…..and Coach Singletary was hoping Shaun would just magically lead us to the playoffs. I don’t even think Tom Brady could step in here with a 2-6 record, and lead us to the playoffs. I mean come on!!! We’re going to run the ball seventy percent of the time. We need a QB that will not create turnovers for us offensively. That comes in a number of different situations that doesn’t necessarily come from throwing the football. Like holding onto the ball too long, not feeling the pocket presence enough to know it’s a broken play to make things happen with your feet, etc. We need to know who are starter is today, because we need continuity behind the center. No more sharing reps, make a decision, and let’s roll with it. I think Alex is a physically gifted player, but he should have stepped up at least one year out of the four that he knew he was our guy…….but he didn’t. Shaun did. With the same OC changes, with the same group of guys around him. Nothing changed when Hill stepped in, except for our losses began to turn into wins. Those who believe Alex is our QB, all I can say is that I’m thankful your NOT leading the gold rush!!

35. By Matt on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

I take what i said about not caring who wins the starting QB position…..I hope Shaun Hill wins it!!! I thought he looked real good last season. I have always been a 49ers fan and will be faithful to them for the rest of my life regardless of what happens!!! But i don’t see why we can’t have a BIG NAME QB like the rest of the teams in the league. I think we should trade Smith for a better QB. Hell…I thought we shoulda done everything we could to get one of those free agent QB’s!!! We need to start taking chances…u’ll never know if you don’t take a chance at something. Mike Singletary…i hope you stay with the niners for a long time because we’ve been needing a coach like you for a very long time!!!! Your passion,intellegence, and love for the game. MIKE…UR THE BEST EVER!!!!!!

36. By Gabriel on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

FOR THOSE OF YOU who are blaming alex smith for the niners being so bad these past years dont know what you’re talking about. when alex came to this team in 05′ it was the worst team in every catagory. At least the niners have not went back to a 2 win season. Alex’s first year was with OC McCarthy which should not have been there cause he was just waiting for his ticket out of SF. 49ers had no defense or O-line and still managed to get 4 wins with ALEX!! His second year was really good with Norv Turner but the defense sucked and gave up a lot of points and a 7-9 record with ALEX!!! 3rd year, Norv Turner leaves and we are left with Hostler which is a no name and the O-line lets 300+ pound Bernard get a clean hit on Alex and lands all his weight on him. alex tries to come back so soon to try to help out the team but only gets worst. he stays out his 4th season with surgeries. and NOW he has a good defense, a good O-line that is getting better and he has a top 5 running back with Gore. it has been the organization that has not been able to have consistency with a stable coaching staff. the recievers are paid to do all kinds of catches. the QB is not always going to throw a perfect pass. all he has to do is deliver the ball close enough to where the PRO reciever can make a catch. At least he is not throwing it directly to the defenders like O’Sullivan was doing which threw our season down the drain last year. I think Shaun Hill deserves the starting job based on his ability to move the offense like he did last year. If Shaun does not do well then it is alex’s opportunity to retake his position as the franchise qaurterback. if that does not work then there is always Nate Davis who is developing.

37. By Xavier on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Hill is now the starter, not fare! Coach says is based of last season and offseason performance by Hill. Then why did they say it was an open competion? Hill couldnt have won the job last week 3-7 common! Good luck to Hill, he’s now are guy. Hopefully Alex will get a chance. GO NINERS!!!

38. By Xavier on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Also looks like the NINERS will be looking for another QB next year in draft or free agency. Hill may me the starter but he unfortunitly is not the future.