Gore Gives Oakland Linebackers a Crash Course

Posted by Taylor Price on August 18, 2009 – 2:01 PM

gore-napa-header

With the 49ers up in Napa for two days of practices with the Oakland Raiders, a heightened competitive energy is to be expected.

And if Frank Gore is on the field, there’s no question he’s the one leading that liveliness.

Such was the case Tuesday morning, as Gore dominated the Raiders linebackers in 1-on-1 blitz pickup drills.

On Gore’s very first rep against Raiders linebacker Ricky Brown (6-2, 235 pounds) he flattened the fourth-year ‘backer instantly as if he were doing his best impersonation of an offensive lineman making a pancake block.

“Frank was outstanding. He was exceptional,” head coach Mike Singletary said of his star running back’s performance on Tuesday. “Frank gets excited about what he’s doing and to me, his heart, his emotion and his enthusiasm is what this game is all about.”

Afterwards, Gore praised his running back coach Tom Rathman for helping him with the smaller details of picking up blitzing linebackers.

“He wants us to be very aggressive and he’s helped me a lot,” Gore said of Rathman. “He’s helped me with the small things like taking (proper) angles and I’m trying to do my best to do whatever he tells me to do.”

Gore has made sure to improve on all aspects of his game under the guidance of Rathman.

“I feel that anyone can run with the ball, but to be a complete back you have to catch the ball and block and a lot of people don’t like doing it because it’s tough,” Gore said.

So far in training camp, Gore has yet to take a practice off. But when lined up facing a different team, Gore found himself especially fired up.

“It was my first time going up against another club,” Gore said of his increased enthusiasm. “I just love doing what I’m doing. I love the game and I’m having fun out there.”

Gore was asked if he would play against the Raiders this Saturday night at Candlestick Park, to which he responded, “Yeah, I think I will.”

But if Gore doesn’t suit up on Saturday, he understands the reasons for it.

“My coaches know what they’re doing,” he said. “I didn’t get a break during the practices, I never ask for a day off. I guess they see how hard I’m working.”

Morning Practice Notes

Yankees Manager Joe Girardi watched Tuesday's practice.

Yankees Manager Joe Girardi watched Tuesday's practice.

Because the two Bay Area teams were practicing each other, several well-known faces were in attendance. Recently retired Hall of Fame coach/broadcaster John Madden watched practice as did another retiree in former 49ers and Raiders offensive lineman Jeremy Newberry. New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi also attended practice as his club is in town playing the Oakland A’s.

During 1-on-1 drills, Reggie Smith picked off Raiders quarterback Charlie Frye after the ball was initially tipped by Carlos Thomas.

When the 49ers first-team offense competed against the Raiders first-team defense in a 7-on-7 period, Alex Smith completed two nice deep balls to Isaac Bruce, who beat the coverage of Oakland cornerback Chris Johnson.

Later, Shaun Hill found tight end Vernon Davis down the right hashmarks for a 25-yard gain.

One of the funnier sights of practice was seeing Raiders and 49ers coaches argue over a possible interception by free safety Dashon Goldson during a two-minute drill drive simulation. With the Raiders coaches acting as referees, they ruled Goldson’s interception as an incompletion, citing the ball touched the ground before Goldson had full possession.

Tags:
Posted in Uncategorized | 33 Comments »

33 Responses to “Gore Gives Oakland Linebackers a Crash Course”

1. By FernanDOG on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Niners got this!!!

2. By Alexis Jigalin on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Tom Rathman for future Head Coach of the 49’ers!

3. By G.L.P on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I think we have a shot at a decent season!

4. By Rob Remick on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Gore is the MAN! Proud that he is representing the U and the Niners! Tear it up this year!

5. By Samuel on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

49ers will take care of the Raiders!! Not worried at all!

6. By dmackdaddy on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

7. By Deshon Davis on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

The forty niners look the best, better than they have in past years. Were going to the playoffs and were definately beating the raiders lol. Sorr wifey she loves the raides we bet fifty bucks. Easy money lmao.

8. By Mike Coleman on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I smell playoffs!!

9. By Rogelio jr on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

we’re playing .500 ball under mike. we can ONLY get better!!!!

10. By D'rock on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

i could almost feel that 6th ring on our fingers!

11. By Turtle Hannah on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I don’t know about the rest of ya’ll… but I am HYPED about this season! Gore’s gettin’ 1300+. Watch!

12. By Wballz on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Gore in season opener!! Go Niners!! He will dominate this year, he is on a mission.

13. By Rick Carroll on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

As any team, there are pluses, and there are holes. I think Singletary will have our boys fired up all season, and i tell everyone that i would rather have average players with more determination, than stars without drive. Gore is going to tear it up this year, and with coffee spelling him, he will stay fresh, and find those holes i was just talking about. ha. http://www.myspace.com/t4mrocks

14. By Jacob Lovett on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Frank is the man 1500 this year and nfc west champs retake the throne

15. By lcpl ryan d fonseca on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

49ers all the way, i feel a 6th superbowl championship this season, we gotthe talent to do it, sorry raiders but you just suck

16. By Just Ozzy on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Gore is going to the pro bowl without a doubt! I’m so damn hype i’m losing it. I CAN’T WAIT mark it down and remember I said it first. We are going 11-5 this season and taking that NFC West title. Oh yeah, and we can do it without Crabtree.

17. By Erik on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

We won’t make the Playoffs unless Shaun Hill Finally gets the nod at the beginning of the season. We can’t go another year sitting him until the season is already over! He might not throw the ball like Tom Brady, But neither can Rothlisberger. I just want a guy that wins games not passing titles! And for everyone who thinks Alex Smith throws the ball better, We’ll see who’s catching his passes just hope that its our team.

18. By B.D. on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

I’m getting pumped. The Niners haven’t looked this good in a long time. Crabtree sure is missing out right now.

19. By alec montierth on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

NINERS!!!!! who wants some

20. By Albert Rodriguez on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

From this point forward, all the 49ers have to do is to continue to listen Mike Singletary and the experienced coaching staff he has out together. If they stay focused to this simple approach, they will do very well.

21. By ALLEN on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

IM SO SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR SQUAD THIS SEASON.. DEFENSE LOOKED AWESOME VS. DENVER AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE FROM THE OFFENSE AS WE OPEN IT UP. BUT NOT TO GET AHEAD OF MYSELF BECAUSE THE EXPECTATIONS WERE HIGH LAST SEASON AS WELL AND I WAS SO FRUSTRATED W THIS TEAM AND COULDNT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO END. SO I EXPECT TO WIN THE NFC WEST THIS SEASON AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. P.S. OUR SECONDARY LOOKS OUTSTANDING.

22. By ALLEN on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

MAN IM SO hyped right now about these niners!!!! LETS GO BABY! I EVEN GOT MY 49ER FLAGS FLYN HIGH ON THE FREAKIN WORK TRUCK .LOL IVE BEEN PUMPED SINCE WE BEAT THE SKINS IN THE SEASON FINALLY LAST YEAR.

23. By Rudy on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Niners baby all da way NFL better watch out we out 4 mo ringz….N nobydy can stop Gore

24. By bruce on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

No playoffs, with no pass rush the niners are in big trouble. Good qbs will tear the secondary apart, they won’t throw interceptions like orton did. Orton was marching down the field on their first drive before he through that first interception. Qbs like Manning, McNabb, Ryan,Warner, Hasselback and Favre are going to carve up the niners secondary like a thanksgiving day turkey on thanksgiving. Gore won’t make it through the hole season healthy never has yet.

25. By 49erPsycho on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

49ers > Raiders ALL DAY
    loserarizona cardinals , Seattle seachickens, St. Loser Rams watch out cuz the 9ers are Back baby.
    I smell playoffs
    clements, Willis, Josh Morgan, Vernon Davis & Gore = pro bowl

FrIsCo
    AlL dAy

26. By Matty on Aug 20, 2009 | Reply

NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!

27. By pillzbury on Aug 20, 2009 | Reply

THE NINERS ARE SO DAMN STRONG ITS CRAZY!!! AND IF CRABTREE WOULD JUST BE THERE ALREADY THEN WERE THAT MUCH STRONGER…AND YES FRANK GORE 4 MVP THIS YEAR BABY ITS GUNNA HAPPEN.

28. By Joe on Aug 20, 2009 | Reply

I agree, if the niners can work on their pass rush,and Clements can work on not giving the defender so much room to work with, we will be in the play-offs

29. By Joe on Aug 20, 2009 | Reply

I apologyze. I mean the wide receivers.(not defenders)

30. By famfierros209 on Aug 20, 2009 | Reply

Mike might be the next Bill Walsh he’s giving our guy’s what thay need good old fashion football skills LETS GET THIS SHOW NO THE ROAD!

31. By T.La on Aug 21, 2009 | Reply

I’m a raiders & niners fan but I have to say raiders D is a tad bit better than the niners but the niners offense is better than oaklands. So its pretty even It will be good to see them play on Sat.

32. By TheFrisco Kid on Aug 21, 2009 | Reply

The Arizona “Normal” Cardinals will be just that this year, back to normal, a losing record. Last year was a total fluke streak. Remember the goal line stand on Micheal Robinson that sure would of changed their momentum (as well as ours) had he ran it in, or if gore could of kept his balance the play before.
    The Seattle SeaSqhawks will be decent but we have their number as usual. Remember Patrick “whatutalkinbout” Willis’ pick six! It was one of the greatest plays of his career.
    The St. Louis Lambs well where have they been? Their record shows you how bad they should be this year. Also thanks for Bruce we’ll be sure to use him on the turf that he practically hand laid.
    As for mans gift to god the 49ers! The greatest sports franchise, town, name, logo,and last but definitely not least……
    THE GREATEST FANS ON EARTH!
    can i get an AMEN?