Singletary Praises Snyder’s Play

Posted by Taylor Price on August 15, 2009 – 12:56 PM

snyder-denver-header

Head coach Mike Singletary just concluded a conference call with the Bay Area beat writers. He was asked what stood out to him from Friday night’s 17-16 victory over the Denver Broncos and he immediately said the play of Adam Snyder caught his attention.

“The thing that has jumped out at me so far is Adam Snyder,” Singletary said. “I think he did a nice job. I think he did everything we asked him to do.”

Singletary said that Snyder hasn’t won the starting right tackle job just yet, but he’s excited about what he saw in Snyder. Singletary also said that free agent acquisition Marvel Smith is getting better and growing his strength and confidence in his back.

Other notes from Singletary’s conference call included:

-Running back Thomas Clayton will have an MRI later today on the knee injury he suffered in the second half.

-The team will wait on more information on the injury to fullback Zak Keasey’s forearm before looking for a possible replacement in free agency. “We’re in discussions, it depends on how things work out,” Singletary said

-Singletary thought both Shaun Hill and Alex Smith “did a decent job.” He said there wasn’t any separation between the two. “I think we’re going to evalutate the film and go from there.”

-Glen Coffee was a player that Singletary was pleased with. “Very excited about what I saw out of him. Tough runner, I thought he did a decent job in his pass protection. Glen is going  to be a great addition to our football team.”

-Singletary said there wasn’t any separation in the starting wide receiver competition either.

-The 49ers play-calling was approved by Singletary. “I thought Jimmy (Raye) did a nice job. He kept a good rhythm. The play selection was good. For the first preseason game, the offense executed fairly well. I really thought Jimmy did a nice job in mixing it up a bit, I thought he was good overall.”

-Singletary also said he would have to watch more film to evaluate backup players and the team’s pass rush.

Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Singletary Praises Snyder’s Play”

1. By Wm Hanley on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

There seemed positives and some negatives. Had hoped 9ers would dominate with the changes on the Bronco side this yea. It was distressing to see Denver march down the field so many times. The line and line backers should have stopped that. The good part is the 9ers turned into takeaway maniacs.

Well it makes for an exciting game in the least – picking off passes just before a score!

Willis hopefully will change the marching down the field problem.

2. By M Bacon on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Can someone please clarify this for me, Shaun Hill was only in for half a quarter… Alex Smith, a quarter and a half. Shaun threw 2 passes…. Alex like 7… How is it fair to even rate Shaun… he moved the ball, the offense was in sync. Alex was struggling and barely made that touchdown, even when it was pretty much handed to him. In my eyes, either go through free agency and get a QB or, name Shaun Hill the starter. He has already proven himself, Alex, still has not.

Thoughts???

3. By ANTHONY on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

WELL I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD EFFORT. BUT IF THEY PLAY THE WAY THEY DID LAST NIGHT AGAINST PLAYOFF CONTENDING TEAMS OR EVEN BETTER TEAMS,THAN WE ARE IN FOR A LONG SEASON.”AGAIN”.I DONT MEAN TO BE A NEGATIVE NELLY BUT LETS FACE IT DENVER IS NOT THAT GOOD OF A TEAM AND WE LET THEM RUN AND PASS ALL OVER US.NO PASS RUSH WHAT SO EVER…

4. By Joe on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Anthony, you don’t need caps lock to be heard. Also, Denver was one of the best offenses in football last year, so I wouldn’t get to worked up over them driving on a defense missing Patrick Willis, only to be thwarted in the red zone.

5. By luis on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

The niner defense was okay I hope people don’t look too much into the three interceptions because those are mistakes the better quarterbacks in the league don’t make. Also if you noticed besides the three picks Orton was pretty much throwing were he wanted with the huge space the receivers where being given the corners, I hope it’s just a safety precaution and not the way we are going to play all year cause we’ll get nickel an dimed every game. On the offense Coffee displayed good running skills, and moved around well hitting the whole especially gaining some positive yards even when the offensive line didn’t move the defense all the much. And I was really happy with the play of Vernon Davis, I think In Jimmy Raye offense Davis will be a great weapon for Smith or Hill, who after last night’s game is still a coin flip. The biggest problem area is still the pass rush I hope it gets better and we blitz more during the year.

6. By Bo on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

I was at the game and, honestly, I was disappointed with what I saw. Loved the win, but I agree with Anthony, that effort and execution is not going to cut it against better teams.

Sure they intercepted the ball 4 times, but that was AFTER the Broncos basically moved the ball at will. Running, passing, whatever…the 49ers could not stop Denver on a consistent basis.

What happened to “Physical with an F”? From my vantage point, the Broncos won the “physical” battle.

I get it — all the packages aren’t installed yet. But I really didn’t see the type of physicality from the 49ers that has been so hyped up in the offseason. We can’t get a first down on a 3rd and 1 (or was that 3rd and 3? Whatever.) C’mon.

Now, on to my biggest pet peeve: The corners simply cannot play 7 or so yards off of receivers consistently like they did on Friday. In a division with Warner/Fitzgerald/Boldin and Hasselbeck/TJ and games against the Cowboys, Colts, and Eagles, that is a recipie for disaster. T.O. torched them last year when the corners played off him — and all those other excellent QB/receiver tandems will do the same this year if they continue to be scared of getting burned deep.

I’d rather have a guy get beat manning up, checking a guy at the line; rather than playing off of a receiver and getting beat on a double move. (Maybe that’s just me…)

Nate Clemens is one of my favorite 49ers. But I can’t understand why they keep having him play so far off of receivers on a consistent basis. GIven that *and* no consistent pass rush, well, it could indeed be a long season.

Case in point: His interception in the end zone came AFTER he was playing 7 yards off of his man when the ball was inside the 20 yard liine on (I think) 3rd and 3. What happened? Pass completed right in front of him for a first down a play or two before the turnover. I called it even before the play was run. It was *that* obvious where the ball was going to go. (The TV commentators even called that strategy into question.)

Bottom line: If you don’t have a pass rush, at least try to throw off the QB/receiver timing and don’t just let teams have easy completions.

Curious to know what anyone else thinks.

7. By Kgold64 on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

I have been a 49er fan forever and I am so ready for the team to turn things around from their recent losing ways. That is not going to happen if we can’t get a strong pass rush. Thankful for the interceptions, but Denver (Kyle Orton of all people) pretty much marched down the field at will. He threw 3 interceptions, but his uniform was super clean at the end of the day. Have to do better against da Raiders and Jeff Garcia next week.

8. By Kenny on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

No real word on Brit Miller either. He looked amazing during the game. We do need to step up on the D line a bunch. We also need to remember that this is Pre-Season ball too

9. By Bob Hopkins on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

I agree with ANTHONY overall. It seemed to me that both the offensive and defensive lines were outplayed and that was a major problem for us most of last year too.

10. By Vito on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Bo. It seems like every time a team is 3rd and long against us, they’re going to convert because we have no pass rush and our corners give a huge cushion. I certainly don’t agree with the headlines that “Defense Dominates.” What game were the writers watching???

Sure hope Clayton is okay. I think he’s a good back with lots of potential. Knee injuries could screw his whole career.

I admit I think Hill is the better QB, but it’s hard to not root for Smith. (Maybe I’m like the rest of the management’s bozos and still hope he’s not a total bust.)

Go niners!

11. By Billy Webb on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

Well I think the Physical play was there did you notice the run pass ratio and Gore didnt play. You guys are talking negative about things but they had alot of positive in this game. For one the 9ers took care of the ball and won the turnover battle that wins games, the running game controlled alot of the clock that helps win games, and the QB play was good all around. The defense probly wasnt going all out with the pass rush or being physical with the receivers because it was the first preseason game you need to work the guys into game speed. You should see more physical defense once the guys get a little more comfortable. You also have to think that Sigletary doesnt want these guys putting it all out for the preseason and getting hurt just as any other coach.

12. By C. TheGreat on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

Alot of us are actually being to hard on the team seeing how it was just the first preseason game. I believe in thinking what we see in August is a good measurement of what is to come. There was a lot of good things done and a lot of things that need work, yes the pass rush is one of them. The 4 picks were fun to watch, 2 of them were actually good play by the corner the other 2 were really charity. Shaun in in my opinion will end up the starter, unless Alex can prove he has more heart than Shaun, and get the ball out of his hand faster or pull it down and run. Hopefully in the next few games hopefully our corners do play up on the reciever, which i think we will see that what physical is and thats what we want.. i say its a 10+ win season on the condition the condition the choosen quarterback plays with heart. any takers?

13. By luckshort on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

agreed with TheGreat

14. By jav on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

i think that it was a good step for this team. it was a good opportunity for the coaches to see what they had for depth. i mean patrick didnt play, we all remeber the defense before we had him and thats what we looked like friday night. so for that reason im not too worried. I think the 4 interceptions were more of bad reads then they were good interceptions(with the exception of reggie’s first pick). as for the offense i think its pretty clear who the starting qb will be. Shaun did a great job in my opinion, he looked calm got the ball out quick and ran when he had to. Unfortunately keasey didnt give him much help in protection. I think thats why sing pulled shaun him out.he seen what he needed to see from shaun and there was no need to risk an injury behind a weak fullback. im really excited about this offense. vernon looked very impressive,coffee looked solid and how aboutkory sheets?! i think if we put him in the mix behind the starting line, he will definately make things happen. he had the longest carry for twenty five yards behind a line that looked unimpressive to say the least.

im looking forward to the changes coach makes next week. hopefully we some sign of a pass rush. that is definately my number one concern.

go niners

15. By Mike on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

You guys need to realize it’s preseason and we don’t really scheme to a team on defense. We run base formations and things that we need to work on. I thought it was a good game considering we didn’t use Gore, Bruce, or Willis. It was a very good bend but don’t break defense under the circumstances. As far as Smith goes I think it’s time to admit this guy doesn’t have what it takes to run the first team offense and even Singletary knows it. That’s why Hill took a few reps and Smith got such a long look. It was apparent that they wanted to see semething from Smith where as they already know what Hill is going to give them. Wake up people. It’s preseason.

16. By Jason on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

I guess Denver’s loss is the 49ers gain. Dre Bly was all over the field on Friday. An interception and a tackle for a loss. I guess maybe Josh McDaniels isn’t that smart after all.

17. By Suman on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

A soecnd run without restarting tomcat resulted in nearly the same results- the main difference was the max response time was 405 ms (under half a soecnd). This is due to the site being primed (an issue that always comes up when loadtesting).The good behavior leads me to believe I stumbled across a bug in spring 3.0.4; the bump to 3.0.5 seems to have resolved it. The next test will bump the threads up to 30 and startup to 30 soecnds.I should note that once the test gets humming, tomcat only uses 10% of my laptop’s CPU.